US: Catholic school teacher sacked for marrying her girlfriend 45 minutes after the ceremony

1. That There Other David 22 Oct 2013, 8:21pm

Classy move Catholic Church. Real classy.

And you still don’t understand why people are beginning to actually despise you do you?

2. Helge Vladimir Tiller 22 Oct 2013, 8:41pm

The Catholic Church ! May I remind you what the previous Pope said ; It is even as important to work against homosexuality as it is to preserve the rain forest. How idiotic can religious people get ? !

3. dangermouse 22 Oct 2013, 11:34pm

Very Christian attitude, I’m sure.

4. Godric Godricson 23 Oct 2013, 8:07am

I’m surprised that anyone would be surprised

5. Colin (London) 23 Oct 2013, 8:36am

Nothing good about the catholic church..nothing.

I’m so sorry for the woman but actually you are well away from the catholic dogma and small minded people.

Tippi and Barb I so wish you happiness and I hope many support you during this difficult time. You have lost your job some colleagues and the great kids you no doubt were committed to.

I hope you will challenge this in the courts and get answers to your valid questions. I hope you find work quickly and settle into a good and loving relationship.

To me we need to redefine society… The state should come first and religion later and no religion should be able to create rules which undermine the state.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 23 Oct 2013, 10:13am

Dear Colin ( London ) ! Your comment here is really what goes right to my heart. Love and compassion , and I’m sure, if Tippi and Barb read this , they get extra strength . We need eachother, and words can be so lovely! A warm hug from Norway to the THREE of you.

6. An odd story in some ways.
    The principal asks her to leave on (given the situation) oddly generous terms. If, as the school teacher says, non-Catholics are employed there, are they required to ‘adhere to Catholic teaching’? If so, in the context of the story that would imply that people who don’t accept Catholic theological doctrine are nonetheless expected to conform to its sexual taboos – a potentially ludicrous situation. It could mean officially endorsing the employment of atheists who must avoid using the Pill.
    I suspect the college principal and the school admin are scared of the potential publicity of having a lesbian employee in a same-sex marriage (given the current public profile of the issue) in a general context of evasiveness and vagueness about other issues people are not too interested in. The dismissed employee could be legally in a very strong position.

7. If you go and work in a Catholic School you are expected to life by the teachings of the Catholic Church. If you do not wish to follow these teachings you are free to join a mainstream school. I do not know why you keep wasting space with these stories. The lady in question caused her own problem. I have no sympathy.

8. I hope somebody burns the school down and pays a ‘visit’ to the head teacher. Only when vigilante action is taken in defense of the gay community, then this abundance of discrimination will decline.