New Zealand: Tribunal allows church to prevent gay man from becoming priest

1. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Oct 2013, 7:15pm

What about single heteros not in a relationship I wonder? Nothing mentioned about that. How does a church prove celibacy anyway? Put a close circuit tv in every room of someone’s home? Or even more absurd, compel them to wear chastity belts? Ridiculous!

2. How much longer can these archaic outfits survive? The average age of ‘believers’ must be around 105 yet they continue to champion bigotry. Suicidal, I’m pleased to say. But I’m amazed the courts have shown they are onnthe side of discrimination. Can you imagine the outcry had a candidate been refused on the colour of his skin….?

3. Michael Stevens 17 Oct 2013, 9:04pm

As an NZer I’ve followed this – while this is something that is deeply important to him, legally he never had a leg to stand on, and I think the judges made the right call.

Independent organisations like churches, no matter how batty you or I might think of them, have the right to set their own conditions for belonging – if you want to be in that group then you follow their rules.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if the rules change soon – the anglican church in NZ would fall over without all the queer priests it has at the moment.

1. You mean they should be allowed to set their own ‘rules’ because they are a ‘religion’? If they were a golf club and they made up rules which excluded black people, would you be defending them? Religion has no more right to discriminate than any other ‘service’ business.

1. There are clubs for black people only, for Jews only, for women only, for gay men only – and there should be. I don’t relish the thought of non-gay people forcibly joining a club for gay men any more than most women must appreciate the thought that they could be forced to accept men in a women-only group, so how can I logically object to a church or mosque setting its rules? The fools are those who choose – or want – to join them.

2. Colin (london) 18 Oct 2013, 8:31am

To me and I’m not a Nzer but spend a lot of time there as I have family, friends etc. It’s about the laws of the land first and the church and other groups second.

If no laws or discrimination through the judiciary then club rules. Just my thoughts

3. Beelzeebub 18 Oct 2013, 9:36am

I’m sure the KKK which is an independent religious based organisation set it;s own rules.

Doesn’t make them right, legal or ethical.

4. It all depends on the depth of the Truth of Jesus Christ. Many religions are very superficial and just go through the routine without any Scriptural meaning. If you follow the literal Truth that Jesus Christ showed, nobody who is sinful will be forgiven for their deeds. While most “religions” are
    basically ceremonial and acts, when Jesus Christ is truly shown to be the only Truth, then sinful mankind is not allowed to be part of God’s family. You must study the Holy Bible, not just read it to find the Truth.

5. floridahank 18 Oct 2013, 1:38am

You people keep talking about religion and their celebrations and regulations — most of them are just superficial. If you want to know the Truth, study who Jesus Christ is and what He said. Otherwise you’ll just be following manmade institutions who create more problems than they supposedly solve. Jesus Christ is not a religion, He is a personal relationship that has no connection to religion. None of you have any depth into human behavior and how Jesus Christ is far above it.

1. Bless.

But Flo, not all of us have the time or the inclination to learn Biblical Greek – or are you able to converse with your Jesus in Aramaic?

Above all else, thank you for taking the time to contribute again on a gay website. Your interest is noted.

6. I have given some thought to this… and have to agree with Michael Stevens. As much as I feel for the guy (because clearly this was something important to him), the current stance is what it is. I am happy to see that the Anglican Church is starting to shift into the modern age. Hopefully, as the archaic views of older clergy begin to leave (as they themselves pass away) it will allow for newer ideas to bring the church into the modern day.

7. Although I think most aspects of organised religion ridiculous, I agree with Michael Stevens and Astral Au: their club, their rules – don’t like it, don’t join.

8. Colin (London) 18 Oct 2013, 8:26am

The laws of the country should come first.

No religious group should be able to get around these. That’s bias