Tory MP with mixed record on gay rights elected deputy speaker

1. Eleanor Liang MP has a good record when it comes to gay rights but I was extremely disappointed when I read she was to oppose equal marriage. Such a shame on a previously good record. I reckon his constituency association had something to do with it. At least she is a much better candidate than vile Mad Nad Dorries.

2. Why wait for people to get used to civil partnerships when they are being phased out and equal marriage is about to replace the need for them.

I think it shows poor judgement on Eleanor Laing’s part and it was a weak excuse for abstaining.

People who had not become familiar with civil partnerships after 8 years probably had no need to familiarise themselves with cp’s because they would never have had to consider entering into one themselves, being married themselves or being eligible to marry already they don’t require too much consideration as the equal marriage legislation does not affect them directly at all.

3. Colin (London) 17 Oct 2013, 9:10am

Yes MP’s are there to represent their constituents but also they are there to educate their constituents. The world is changing and needs to change faster on many levels. To be vital we need MP’s who are not afraid of change, build society arguments and educate, challenging constituents, engaging them for faster change. Not standing still let the old dictate and the churches pull us backwards.

I’m disappointed by her selection. She is a waiver and when a major piece of human rights legislation was being put through Parliament did the worst by abstaining. Yes she supported tinkering but when full rights were being mooted where was she.

This was about human rights for a minority group.

As she has the job I wish her every success even if she could not vote for mine.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Oct 2013, 1:59pm

In my personal opinion, abstentions should be abolished. You either must vote yes or no, no sitting on the fence to avoid the wrath of constituents and worrying more about one’s re-election. I’m always amazed when MPs say they must vote according to the wishes of their constituents but I wonder how she and others of that ilk would vote if the majority wanted for example, to ban divorce, interracial marriages and disestablishing the CoE. She forgets that other Tories did vote against the wishes of the majorities and demonstrated for a change proof of leadership, especially Cameron.

1. magsmagenta 18 Oct 2013, 11:08am

I disagree, if she had not been allowed to abstain then she would have probably been forced to vote against if that’s what her constituents appeared to be asking for because she was elected to represent them not push forward her own views, that’s how democracy works.
        I agree that her constituents need better education on the subject but that takes time, it can’t be done overnight. Maybe the voice of those who were pro gay marriage in her constituency just wasn’t loud enough to drown out those who were against it.

4. Jock S. Trap 17 Oct 2013, 11:33am

Bit of a dull excuse to say people still needed time to get used to Civil Partnerships after nearly ten years. How much time do people need to realise people who love each other want to commit?

If bigots haven’t ‘got used’ to them by now they never will but it’s no excuse to stop the majority getting on and allowing love to be celebrated equally.

I’d rather her than someone like Ann Widdy or that awful Nadine woman. Still I do think maybe another Gay people should have taken Mr Evan’s place.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Oct 2013, 1:53pm

Crispin Blunt might have made a better Deputy Speaker. He’s been around a while and has been on both sides of sexual orientation and with a better grasp of it.

I tweeted several MPs last week to vote against Dorries. I’d like to think it helped defeat any chance she thought she had and such a dismal amount of support she had too. I also tweeted her directly reminding her of her hypocrisy towards the Marriage Bill and her duplicitous adultery with fellow Tory MP Bob Blackman.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Oct 2013, 1:49pm

CPs have been around long enough for the British public to get used to. A lame excuse and cover for abstaining in my view. I would agree the Marriage Bill is flawed and I don’t know one that is 100% perfect in 16 countries and American states. There are limitations in all of them to some degree. She should have demonstrated true leadership by voting for it in spite of the flaws. The only heteros who did just that were MPs, especially Tories who voted for the bill. The only thing I will concede to her is that she admits there were some constituents in support of it whereas the majority in opposition claimed there was none. A barefaced lie in my opinion.