X-Men producer jokes ‘#SmellsLikeLubeAndHIV’ at CNN gay partner’s bar

1. Marcwebbo3 10 Oct 2013, 4:47pm

Unemployed and ignorant is just what this vile man will stay with views like that….despicable

2. Colin (london) 10 Oct 2013, 5:00pm

Guys heading for a breakdown me thinks. Way way out of line and winning no friends either.

Let him sit on his arse feeling sorry for himself…..Go work for a charity…you may learn so much about yourself!

3. If he wants to “understand where ignorance comes from,” look in the friggin’ mirror.

4. my question to mister palermo would be how does he know what that smells like? i wonder…

5. Please give me some advice. I need some opinions.

I went to my local GP today and needed to receive a jab, so I was passed on to a nurse. As this nurse was about to put the needle into me I must have gritted my teeth and looked a bit fearful because all of a sudden I heard her say, “Oh, don’t be such a poof!”

I was so stunned I didn’t say anything. But after leaving the room I asked to speak to the head nurse and I told her. She looked shocked and said she would take some kind of action.

Shortly after I got home the phone rang and it was the nurse who had given me the jab. She said she very sorry, she knew she shouldn’t have said it, and she was ringing to apologise. I began to tell her I was glad she was apologising but she interrupted, and very soon it was clear to me she was just going through the motions.

I’m still stunned by what happened. So I would really appreciate your thoughts. Not sure what to do now.

1. If it really upset you then complain to the NHS Trust (easy to find, just type in ‘NHS complaints’ to google), although frankly in my opinion she just sounds like a bit of a looser… the type of person that probably isn’t worth the trouble.

6. Inform the Royal College of Nursing, perhaps? It is nursing’s professional body.

1. I’m a nurse and this shouldn’t have happened. Contact the Patient Liaison Service or equivalent. Write in, don’t email. Give your name and address, the name of the nurse and the charge nurse, and what was said.
      What a lot of people don’t seem to know is, that all NHS Staff are legally required to treat all patients and relatives without prejudiced or making derogatory.
      remarks.
      It sounds as if the charge nurse is trying to keep things quiet and has lost control of her staff. So it needs to be in writing, with a written apology at the very least from the nurse involved, which will then be held on her records at least for the following six months.
      What she has done is go against the NMC,’s professional code of conduct, a professional she is registered with.
      Don’t let it go. I would do the same thing myself.
      And just to be clear The Royal College of Nursing, despite what it sounds like, is nothing more than a union just like UNISON.

1. Mike, thank you very much indeed. To my way of thinking, your advice is sound. And I particularly appreciate it because of you being a nurse yourself. I will report the incident in writing to the Practice Manager of my local surgery (where the incident happened).

One thought that occurred to me overnight was: what if that nurse says “Oh, don’t be such a poof!” to a vulnerable teenager coming to terms with being gay in a homophobic environment? It could push such a teenager over the edge.

Thanks also to “B” & to “Ian” for helpful comments.

It’s worrying that at least two readers have given my request for advice (above) a “thumbs-down”.

2. The NMC is the professional body to contact as the RCN is only a Union?

7. floridahank 10 Oct 2013, 6:13pm

Hey in the USA you still have freedoms to express yourself. He’s talented, rich and doesn’t give a damn about what people say about him — give him credit, he’s his own man and speaks his mind — whether you like it or not, he knows what he’s doing and what he wants. That’s still a right for us here.

1. He has “a right” to his comments, yes, and we all have a right to object to them. That’s the same right, in case you were wondering.

“Talented,” you say? Must not have been to the movies recently…

2. I don’t understand why I should give credit to someone for being an arsehole?

Someone who “speaks his mind” when said mind is bigoted and vile – why should I praise that? Why should anyone praise that? Why should “has no regard for others” or “is an unfettered bigot with no sense of what is appropriate” be a praiseworthy trait?

Where does anyone question his “right”? He has the right to say what he wants. We have the right to call him a disgusting bigot and everyone has the right to criticise him and shun him. That is OUR right to express ourselves

Why do you think the freedom of expression means other people must be silent in response?

3. Yer mate, and we have a right to respond – or haven’t you checked your constitution properly? Jog on troll.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Oct 2013, 4:31pm

There’s absolutely nothing talented in using homophobic slurs, quite the contrary. How can you defend that? There are limitations of freedoms of expression in the USA. Shout ‘fire’ in a cinema and you’ll be arrested, ditto inciting violence by using hate speech or threatening the life of a politician which for some could be construed as freedom of expression too.

1. floridahank 11 Oct 2013, 9:09pm

Just as many of you ridicule and disagree with Christianity and the Holy Bible, everybody has the freedom to their own opinions. And know that worldwide Christians are being killed by the hundreds and thousands just for following their spiritual beliefs. So the LGBT community should not feel they are being persecuted anywhere the extant are Christians. So freedom of expression is better than actual daily slaughter of religious believers.

1. This isn’t about Christians being victimised around the world – this is about freedom of expression, you know the point you made in your original post ;)

As for the other matter: Christians are not without resources, they are not without a voice – hell they are one of the wealthiest and most well represented groups in the world (no other religion has an ambassador at the UN, but Christians do via the Vatican. And very few governments don’t have Christians in them).

If you do actually understand what it is to be a victim, then perhaps you could do yourself and everyone else a favour and stop victimising others.

8. And in other news, gay men are being killed, tortured and imprisoned in the middle east, and the other 78 other countries where it is illegal to be gay.

Get a grip pink news, stop reporting so much on showbiz tit for tat twitter tatter no news nonsense, and start reporting on something that matters to lgbt people. Who fcking cares what the x-men producer said, is it really one of the worst things that happened in the world to lgbt people yesterday? – or was it just an easy copy and paste from another news website.

1. Gene in L.A. 10 Oct 2013, 8:57pm

People who don’t care don’t generally post. But there is no unimportant homophobia. It has to be called, wherever it appears. If you’re not up to it, don’t complain to people who do.

2. Why can’t one be interested in the big things as well as the little things?

9. Sounds like this guy’s career is over. If you upset enough people in the industry you may never work again.

And do I give a damn………NO he is obviously a troubled arsehole, if he never works again, it will be to soon. Yes he is entitled to his opinion, but at the end of the day he has made his bed and so will have to lay in it.

10. Tuesday Wang 11 Oct 2013, 4:33am

Bored and unemployed probably because nobody likes you. Just like a brat acting out for attention.