Harrison Ford again defends Ender’s Game film: ‘I wrestled with whether to take the part’

1. RoughRugger 10 Oct 2013, 8:05pm

…so Dustin Lance Black, if Fred Phelps wrote a book that had nothing to do with gay issues, we should buy that book based on its own merits? BULLSH!T. Money spent on this film is money in the pockets of a bigoted a$$hole who has actively fought against our rights. I choose to spend my money in other ways and will encourage my friends & acquaintances to do the same.

2. More defending this homophobe. I’ll be boycotting this film – and the bigots at Lionsgate and Harrison Ford for continually defending and dismissing his hatred

3. David Jordan 10 Oct 2013, 8:21pm

The cast and crew all seen to dodge the big question in every interview and at every promotional event, how much does Card stand to make from this film? It seems to be something the studio doesn’t want to come to light.

4. “Should I not have made the film because of his views?” he asked. “I wrestled with that, and you know what? I thought: for that amount of money, I’d be mad to say no”

5. Yeah I have a number of paintings hanging up done by Hitler just so that when someone comments on them I can explain that Hitler wasn’t all good.

6. Colin (London) 10 Oct 2013, 10:57pm

I stick by my original post:
    Look at the man first and what he stands for and you will know what to do instinctively.
    I certainly won’t watch the film and am thinking of a protest in Leicester Square when it arrives. Anyone want to join me.

Ford is an actor…he want the money. Its a film business about …MONEY.

7. I will be watching the movie, it looks awesome. So he is anti-gay as long as it not in the movie. I don’t care.

1. The book is tainted with homophobic subtext, though.

1. I loved the whole Enders series. Never picked up a hint of homophobia. Am baffled that such an intelligent author can hold the views he does. Still haven’t made up my mind, but probably will see the movie. I also think HF made some very good points.

1. So you aren’t in even the slightest way bothered that by seeing the movie you are in effect putting money into the coffers of anti-LGBT activists?

THAT should be what drives your decision to see or not see this film. Not whether there is homophobic subtext in the original novel.

8. he actually said: “if I don’t put these ideas out on screen we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”?????

Harrison, Harrison, Harrison… close mouth, open ears: We HAVE been having this conversation for YEARS now. You just live in that tiny rich-man bubble of yours and have NO idea what regular people are going through, least of all regular LGBT people.

Trying to take credit for the on-going discussion on bullying and homophobia is… disgusting. In all honesty, this single comment has cost you a life-long fan.

1. Colin (london) 11 Oct 2013, 7:16am

Agreed…Best

2. Yes, he has a very skewed view of his own importance.

9. I do not care that the film is not homophobic. I care that much of the profits go to an anti-gay man who funds anti-gay organisations.

10. Why is it so difficult to understand that it’s not just that Card is homophobic, it’s that he FINANCES homophobia? Part of his royalties are going into anti-gay campaigns. If you pay to see this movie (or buy the book), you are funding homophobia. Sure, he’ll probably make f-all from your individual purchase, but I consider even a penny to be too much.
    I don’t care how good the movie is, I will not finance my own oppression.

1. Colin (london) 11 Oct 2013, 7:17am

Nicely put

2. Well said Inkie. I’m with you 100%.
      Why is it so difficult for people to understand that by paying to see this film you are financing your own repression. I won’t be giving one penny to these people.

11. I agree about funding homophobia, but where do we draw the line? particularly with performers.Do we boycott Wagner concerts, Elizabeth Schwarzkopf, Walter Gieseking, Carl Orff, the movies of Emile Jannings, and many others.

Their publicity people say Piaf, Josephine Baker and others worked for the resistance….if you believe that, have I got a bridge for you. They may not have been sympathizers, but they, like Gertrude Stein and Alice Toklas stayed on and often performed for the Germans.
    I Will not see the movie.

1. once an artist is dead, and no longer CAPABLE of funding hate groups, then it’s time to evaluate whether their art is worth supporting. there were boycotts of Wagner’s music. There are no longer. Enough distance has been put between his life and our reality. Now we can stand back and debate the merits of his music rather than the merits of his political beliefs, because his music is what is left of him now.

but a living artist who supports hatred does not deserve to have his art supported. no matter HOW good it may be.

If OSC’s books are THAT good (a debatable premise in itself), after his death people will be reading them and discussing how a positive message can possibly come from such a monstrous person.

Until he kicks the proverbial bucket, not a penny.

12. at least 25% of the money you spend each day goes to anti-gay business owners, who do you think they support, better stop eating just to show them all, what a joke. you can’t tailor your entire life on what others beliefs are otherwise you become a bitter person complaining about everything., oh wait. . . . it was a kick ass book and i hope the movie is even 1/2 as good.

1. no, 25% of my money doesn’t go to anti-gay business owners. Because I’m careful about where I buy, and which companies. (of course, you pulled that 25% figure out of your a$$, but still)

There’s nothing bitter about not buying from hateful people. I’m very happy. I don’t accept hatred. I don’t support it. I don’t encourage it with my business. That doesn’t make me in any way, shape, or form unhappy.

You obviously don’t understand that. you’ve probably never suffered bigotry. most people who speak the way you do tend to also be bullies. probably more than 25% (oh look! others can pull imaginary figures out of their a$$es too)

1. do you rely on public information to make conscious decision about where you spend your money or do you, before buying anything, actively research company’s profile and business dealings to find out whether there are connections to other businesses or individuals guilty of ‘hate’ be it in the form of subsidiary or shares ownership, and if so, given that a lot of this information is hard to find. how do you do that?

1. Try using apps like Buycott, there you can find out by scanning a barcode whether there is a boycott against that company and what that boycott is for.

This helps to sort the bad from the good when it comes to corporations. If a company lobbied against gay marriage you know it.

It’s time to get ethical with your money using tools like this, because no one else is going to do that for you.

2. “The world isn’t fair – deal with it and get over it” is the ultimate defeatist attitude. This is the language that was used to keep black people at the back of the bus. Well Andrea, you can shuffle to to back if you like, but some of us have principles. Some of us value these principles over books and movies too.

1. So you’re going to stop using the bus and your car because the oil comes from homophobic middle eastern countries? And what about the electricity powering your computer, turn it off, as the gas and coal is probably from Russia. And do you think the financial markets only deal with nice gay friendly countries? Are you going to start battering with home grown produce instead of using money? And what about the tax on import and export goods that goes towards financing our countries public services, do you think the UK only deals with gay friendly countries? it’s illegal to be gay in 46 of the 54 commonwealth countries – are you going to boycott the UK government until they stop associating with the commonwealth. The list goes on…… So, you see it’s not that easy to be principled when you think about it for more than 2 seconds – and boycotting a stupid film isn’t going to make a jot of difference, it just makes you feel principled in your little bubble. Naive.

1. Oh, well, then I guess there’s no point in taking a stand for anything, ever, is there, Mark?
          We’re very lucky that our predecessors throughout history didn’t all have the same attitude as you, otherwise we would be in exactly the same circumstances they were.

You have to pick your battles, you have to learn to recognize where you can make a difference and then do it. With every passing generation we are making things more difficult for homophobes. Every little bit helps. Our collective efforts give the next generation a higher platform to reach from.

Many people had no idea Card was such a douche. Now they do. And guess what? He’s pissed off about that. And if that is all we have achieved with this fuss, then that still tastes like a victory to me.
          The frustration on Card’s face every time someone brings this up in an interview will be a victory.

1. And not watching a movie is really taking a stand. I mean, next thing some heavies will be round smashing down your door.

13. You know what’s really going through Harrison Ford’s head – “Money! Money! Money! Money! Yay! Money!”

14. Any bets on whether Graham Norton will challenge this opinion on his show tonight BBC 1 – he has Ford as a guest – I am boycotting this film in all it’s various forms – but even when I reminded my friends (Gay) about this they said they would still be going to see it – so I guess it’s just me …

15. It’s sad that this is going to happen, but I hope the boycott is successful.
    I do not wish to financially assist someone who wants to attack me and remove my rights as an individual. Why would anyone want to hand wealth to someone attempting to attack and harm them?
    This is like getting into a fist fight and then handing the guy beating you a knife!

The guy is a disgusting homophone, an ignorant and uneducated freak, and he will not be getting a penny of my money, no matter how many times I hear how good the book or film are.

There are plenty of great books and films out there not written and created by twisted and sick individual, those are the ones to get my money.

16. floridahank 11 Oct 2013, 5:00pm

Regardless of your person opinion there are many excellent artistic endeavors that cover all aspects of human behavior — but that shouldn’t detract a minority from watching, or reading the writer’s creation. I expect this film to be a big $$$$ maker and will get some good dialogue going– which will also be entertaining.

1. once more, since people don’t really seem to “get it”:

it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the art work itself, and everything to do with the MONEY (as you call it, the “$$$$ maker”) that will then be funnelled to anti-LGBT terror groups, like NOM and Fuckus on the Family.

See the movie.
      And then, be proud of how YOU helped fund an anti-gay terrorist. (how else do you describe someone who declares his intention to overthrow a duly-elected government, simply because it does not conform to his extremist views? OSC is a terrorist. pure and simple.)

2. this has nothing to do with “artistic endeavors”. this has to do with financing hate groups.

by supporting this film with your dollars, you are de facto supporting NOM and the whole anti-LGBT machine that goes with it.

The film won’t get any sort of dialogue going, because the issue isn’t the film, nor the book, but the AUTHOR of the book, who is one of the PRODUCERS of the film.

Seeing the film will not start any dialogue because the film has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

On the other hand, boycotting the film, and discussing WHY there is a boycott of the film WILL start dialogue. It shouldn’t be THAT hard to understand.

3. RoughRugger 17 Oct 2013, 4:13pm

I don’t care if this film wins every award known to man and ends up being considered the cinematic equivalent of the Mona Lisa…some portion of ever dollar, pound, or euro spent on tickets, rental, or purchase will go into the pockets of a man that has vocally, consistently, and actively fought directly against my rights. I mean, he served on the board of NOM for four years for chrissake, only stepping down when this controversy started to impact this movie.

Sorry, but I choose not to spend my hard-earned paycheck undercutting my own human rights.

17. Harrison Ford is going to be Graham Norton’s guest tonight…but will Graham grill him or just giggle at him? Ford, no doubt, will be stoned as usual…having puffed all day on his (expensive) wacky backy in his chauffeur-driven limo and his private dressing room!

18. If you’re going to boycott this film, then….

stop using your cars as the oil comes from homophobic middle east countries.

turn off your electricity because the gas used comes from homophobic Russia.

stop using money because the financial markets don’t just deal with gay friendly countries.

boycott the UK government until it stops associating with the 46 homophobic countries in the commonwealth.

There are so many other battles that are more important, but hey, if boycotting a film makes you feel better, do it, just don’t think it means anything.

1. Ah, the old “there are so many other battles that are more important” line, I was wondering when it would make an appearance.
      I’ve heard this from many people over the years, and you know what? I’m exhausted from all the ‘battles’ I’ve been in – both big and small – and I’ve never seen those people at any of them.

Of course there are more important battles. Just because something is LESS important doesn’t mean it’s UNimportant. Excuse me for not waiting until we have world peace but I’m pretty sure Orson Scott Card will be dead by then. Should I have cured cancer before I marched for equal marriage? Well, I don’t have the medical expertise, but I do have a pair of working legs and I intend to keep using them.

2. Yes you are right necessary commodities are exactly the same as films thank you Mark for that comparison it was very enlightening.

I’m so glad that you brought this up btw because not watching this film fills up so much of my time I cant possibly do anything else. I haven’t eaten for days. Sometimes my friends ask me out but I’m always like, “I can’t, I’m boycotting a film!”. What’s that? Some terrible things are happening in Russia?? I can’t possibly protest! I’m busy not watching a film!!

Mark my life is falling apart because of this boycott. Thank you so much for the advice. It means a lot.

3. RoughRugger 17 Oct 2013, 4:21pm

As soon as it’s POSSIBLE for me to boycott oil, electricity, money, and government, I’ll be all over that. Until then, I’ll content myself with doing what I can, when I can.

19. Having checked this story against The Guardian’s version it seems that Pink News has mistakenly attributed comments by the film’s director, Gavin Hood, to Harrison Ford himself. Harrison Ford did, however express similar views in July as a previous PN story makes clear.

Harrison Ford did not mention anything about the controversy when he appeared on The Graham Norton Show (Fri 11th Oct 2013 BBC One) but he did have a few words to say about Orson Scott Card -

1. yeah, a few “choice words” weren’t they. he praised OSC.

why, Harrison Ford is in such a hurry to open up that dialogue, that he completely forgot to… open up the dialogue!

20. i really hope that people grow up the Queers that are kicking off are getting beyond a joke its a film that a man has decided to take part in its his JOB whether for or against i feel this is blown out of proportion, i feel people need to stand up for straight rights too more and more things forced upon us words used in dictionary for years being changed silly things such as the word GAY being changed to mean not happy but another word for queers/bent a whole daymeant for people that have same sex relationships to celebrate these things, why cant we celebrate being straight, and the fct that being “GAY” gives you an edge on employment ( my companty HAS to emply at least a certain percentage to keep GMENT of there back Ridiculous……. Rant over

1. Fcking brainless idiot. As if the whole world doesn’t celebrate being straight every day of the week. The world is run by straight people for straight people you dlckhead. And as if being gay gives you an edge on employment – what world do you live in? Stupid imbecile.

1. A balanced and well thought out argument by Mark Y there. You should be on a debating society. Swearing makes your argument more right it really does.

2. RoughRugger 17 Oct 2013, 4:19pm

Spelling, capitalization, grammar, and punctuation are your friends.

21. Oh can we all give it a rest. The previews look great to me. As a life long Star Wars fan, I could never boycott Han Solo.

1. It’s nice to see that you are SUCH a devoted fan that you don’t mind digging your own grave, buying your enemy his bullets, and having the good grace to sit still while he fires at you.

You, sir, are a collaborator. There is no other way to describe your actions.

22. ..I am and always will be a fan of Mr Ford’s. I know that all actors throughout their careers experience all forms of ‘homosexuality’ and if he decides to take a job about someone who’s homophobic, then why not? He might be trying to get ell the audience how WRONG and stupid his character was..

1. RoughRugger 17 Oct 2013, 4:24pm

Um…do you have the slightest clue what you’re talking about? This is not about Ford playing a homophobic character…few would have any problem with that. The movie in question, Ender’s Game, has nothing to do with GLBT issues. The issue at hand is Ford staring in a picture WRITTEN BY a man, Orson Scott Card, who actively fights against GLBT rights…meaning part of the proceeds of the film go into Mr. Card’s pockets.

23. bitterly disappointed with Graham Norton – He didn’t even acknowledge this bigotry and his appearing to condone it stopped his majority str8 audience from hearing how rancid a human being OSC really is – For Shame Graham!

24. Colin (London) 14 Oct 2013, 8:19pm

I have to say that I was horrified to see Ford on Graham Norton show. Graham I have respected more for fun than intellect.

Thought Ford was a very old, no personality man. Guess he needs the money!

I’m switching off graham for a while as a personal protest. I expected better but maybe I’m wrong.

All of my family and friends will boycott the film and I will boycott both Ford and Kingsley from now on.