Cornwall: Doctor took his own life after learning he was HIV positive

1. Richard Crooks 10 Oct 2013, 3:31pm

This so sad that person with such qualities would do this to himself. I guess we will never know what went on in his mind in light of so much has been accomplished to fight this disease.

2. Sad and strange.

sad that a talented person is gone.

Strange in that he was a fully trained doctor so he would have known how to protect himself from infection and he would have known that the diagnosis was medically no worse than a type 1 diabetes diagnosis.

I wonder if his family were religious?

1. Peter Gregory 10 Oct 2013, 4:01pm

Speculation on our part: he would have known any medical and legal implications, so WHY did this highly respected medic get so depressed? Family harassment? (I worked with a Filipino guy whose Catholic parents threw him out after abusing him when he told them his HIV status; they even hired bouncers to bar us from the church; the priest told us we were “sinners”. He hanged himself that night. How many people will be killed just tomorrow by religions? how many lives wrecked?). They ALL go in the church/ mosque, say ONE thing, exit the doors and they do the opposite. I’ve yet to meet ONE who doesn’t. A psychological power game of the sickest kind. Cardinal O’Brien please reply.

2. I’m sorry, but an HIV diagnosis is on a completely different order of magnitude from a diabetes diagnosis.

Treatment for diabetes won’t lead to liver failure, kidney problems, etc…

Treatment for HIV WILL do so.

1. What a ridiculously ignorant comment. I’m in my second decade of being HIV+, on retrovirals, and am absolutely fine. But for the prejudiced nonsense of people making comments like this, it really would be a non-issue.

1. YOU may be fine, but I’ve been HIV+ for 25 years, and my liver is shot because of the antiretroviral drugs. I am now diabetic because of the HIV drugs.

The vast majority of the people my doctor sees (at a hospital clinic devoted entirely to people with HIV) are being treated because of the side-effects of their drug cocktails. Not because of the HIV itself.

Diabetes in some cases can be completely reversed. A dietary change and proper medication can completely alter the diagnosis. It can also be treated with absolutely NO medication.

So who is “ignorant” here?

My comment has nothing to do with “prejudice”. It’s a medical fact. The vast majority of people being treated for HIV are being treated for side-effects of their medication, rather than the virus itself.

HIV isn’t “nothing”. Untreated it is fatal. It IS contagious. It’s controllable to an extent. But it is not, and will probably never be, a “walk in the park”. This isn’t a question of prejudice nor nonsense.

1. “The vast majority of people being treated for HIV are being treated for side-effects of their medication, rather than the virus itself”

This statement is simply not true & a distinction needs to be made between those taking the very early ARV’s and those of us taking 2md / 3rd generation treatments.

Yes many long-term survivors have severe health problems because of both the virus & the early drugs, BUT at the time those drugs were all that was available.

When I watch films like “How to survive a plague” I am impressed by the resilience of those who lived through those dark times – I find your comments dis-respectful to all those who lost their lives & those who battled to get drugs made available. Mistakes were made, but things have improved tremendously.

You are still alive, you may not wish to be, & I understand that as well, but please reflect over those 25 years & put your experience into context with today’s situation. This woe is me attitude is not helpful to any of us

2. What an absolutely ignorant comment. I’m in my 2nd decade of being HIV+ now, on retrovirals, and doing wonderfully.

But for people coming out with this type of stupid, stigmatising and factually inaccurate comment, it wouldn’t be an issue at all.

3. A type 1 diabetes diagnosis is just as serious as a HIV diagnosis and yo claim otherwise is both ignorant and disrespectful.

the claim that type 1 diabetes is reversible is untrue. It has never happened.

Treatment for type 1 diabetes is far worse than HIV treatment involving several daily bloodtests and injections to avois hypos which can leadvto coma and death.

Long term side effects of type 1 diabetes can be heart disease, kidney failure, nerves damage, amputation etc.

A HIV diagnosis is avoidable and preferable to a type 1 diabetes diagnosis.

But carry on with your self pity party.

3. Mihangel apYrs 11 Oct 2013, 4:13pm

I think because he knew what sort of media storm (headed by the Daily Hate) would be whipped up once his diagnosis was leaked

3. Colin (London) 10 Oct 2013, 5:10pm

So sad for one so young and talented and giving. We will never know why. My respects to his mother and family. It will be very hard for them. RIP Mr Adamjee.

Clearly we have much to do about how people feel about being HIV+. We must work on everyones self worth and look out for our friends, colleagues and family.

4. Denis from Ottawa 10 Oct 2013, 7:22pm

Strange that a doctor would do this. It may to show that AIDS education is perhaps not reaching some where we would expect or assume they had the necessary knowledge. As one who has lived positively with HIV for 25 years, I simply cannot understand why a fully trained doctor would do this as a result of a positive test.

1. ChrisMorley 12 Oct 2013, 2:25pm

Doctors are as at risk of depression and irrational behaviour as anyone else. A medical education doesn’t give doctors extra coping skills in a personal crisis.
      In fact doctors have one of the highest suicide rates for years; there are several reasons: greater stress, social isolation, access to powerful drugs, barriers to getting treatment and especially for women, greater role conflict and sexual harassment.

5. My deepest sympathy to his loved ones. So sad when this man felt so isolated to take his own life.

6. This is very sad. I have friends who are HIV+ and have been for 20 years and are actively involved in HIV prevention and AIDS awareness and are highly respected in the community. My deepest sympathy to his loved ones.

7. Jim Nashville 10 Oct 2013, 10:43pm

with a sadden heart for a life lost .. my deepest sympathy to his family, friends and coworkers …
    May GOD bless him and hold him near ..
    mourn not his passing but celebrating his life and the time he shared with the world

1. Don’t bring that ‘god’ thing into this. ‘God does not exist

8. This is very sad although my partner is working with
    Someone in the same position and is going through
    Hell because his parents have an arranged marriage
    Planned – He will be disowned if he confesses and if he doesn’t he risks passing it on to his new wife who will be
    Expected to have children

1. ChrisMorley 12 Oct 2013, 2:14pm

With the right medical advice and treatment it is now perfectly possible to father children when you are HIV+ without infecting either your wife or the baby.
      The UK’s HIV expert information site aidsmap have an online leaflet ‘Having a Baby’ and other information explaining this

9. This is so terribly sad. Sorry I don’t have anything else to add.