Stephen Fry: For the first time ever, I’m on effective medication for my bipolar

1. nixi otemba 9 Oct 2013, 7:20pm

love your specs, Stephen

2. Sam Maloney 9 Oct 2013, 7:46pm

One of the difficult things with Bipolar is that people often use your disorder to justify their own awful behavior: your mood must be caused by your own disorder, had nothing to do with their blatant disrespect and insulting attitudes.

But I’d love to know what meds he’s on! I’m a super rapid cycler, myself. After 4 months in depressive hell, I had a great 48 hours. Can feel it slipping away, even now…

1. Let me know when you find out Sam- cause I’m like that too! Its amazin’ when you you can just feel it slippin’ away-and you know whats coming! Why can’t I just be in the same mood all the time-neither euphoric or depressive! If only!!

1. Sam and John I stopped medication seroxat in 2001 as it made me ill almost suicidal. Now I feel better with an diet of mainly fish and protein. I make everything as most foods are loaded with sugar. Cut out sugar if you can and limit carbs they seem to affect my mood. Also I take high strength fish oil, magnesium, Q10, serrapeptase(which I find the best ). I drink around 5 cups of green tea much better than coffee which makes me too anxious. Be boring go to bed at a set time every day and exercise everyday. I’m up around 5.30 and go for a ride. And be selfish do exactly what you want to do every day and if any relationship brings you down end it. I lost a few “friends” but I now have 4 people who I would trust with my life. I also took a pay cut and have a less stressful job. and finally set goals every year. I have a year planner at home with all my targets it help me stay focused and not get too bogged down in the details of life.

1. Good to hear this works for you. I think people who have some kind of depressive disorder should understand that alcohol is in fact a depressant.

I discovered that even a single drink or glass of wine sent me on a downer for a couple of days. Obviously I have a high sensitivity to alcohol but irrespective of my own sensitivity, alcohol acts as a depressant. Unfortunately many turn to it when feeling depressed, but the initial relief comes from the suppression of your feelings/inhibitions before the depressive effect takes over. Most medications for depression recommend low or no consumption of alcohol.

There is good news though, most of the ‘taste’ of wine is actually your sense of smell, so you can still enjoy wine by smelling your friends dinner glass of wine. I find a good non-alcolic alternative drink that is relatively dry is pomegranate juice mixed with soda water. Works for me at least.

2. Brian Wharton 10 Oct 2013, 8:50pm

unfortunately when I’ve been ill I’ve acted badly and said the wrong things to people One person called me a sociopath but this is far from the truth I feel badly embarrassed and regretful afterwards. Once when I was both physically ill and high at the same thing i said the wrong thing to a nurse (abusive) I tried to explain that I was a psychiatric patient but they threw me out whilst i was vomiting and in pain. This is a difficult situation but now I’m on new medication and have a CPN so I don’t relapse.

3. Colin (London) 9 Oct 2013, 7:55pm

Glad you are open enough to talk about depression. Delighted for you that you have found effective medication and wish you every happiness and success.

4. Dear Stephen

Look after yourself. The world is a much happier and better place with you in it and so glad the new medication is effective.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 10 Oct 2013, 3:26pm

AGREE ! Lovely comment !

2. The same can be said of a lot of people, but your comment has a special “umph” to it when applied to Stephen Fry. The world is so much brighter, wittier, and more pleasant with him in it.

5. Dear Stephen, thank you for everything you have done and are doing to promote a greater understanding of mental illness and all the other excellent work you do for human rights.

6. I never let the homophobia worry me , but its the ignorance behind it that make me laugh. next time you here some idiot spouting out homophobia , just listen to their words and explanations. It always makes me piss myself laughing. Esp when they start with , your queer/gay/poof/ faggot. Yes we know, and where having such fun…………are you?

I have found through my travels that any one with hate in them towards anything , never smile. it is all consuming. They miss out so much on life. Esp. as time goes by they are the one that are becoming the minority. Check out any Daily fail reader!

7. I am very pleased to hear that you are on medication as I was always concerned by your determination that you didn’t need it. People so often feel shamed by taking medication but you shouldn’t any more than a diabetic is. Best wished for the future

8. I suffer from Unipolar (depression) and all I can say is that you have to be prepared for trial and error until you find what it takes to relieve you from Bi-Polar or Depression disorders. For some that may mean medication, others it may be lifestyle or a combination of both. Once that peace is found, you have to ensure that you don’t remain entrenched in the habits of your depressed state – you now CAN do things again. Just remember you are unique and there is no magic bullet, but there is something out there that will help, you just have to find it.

Good luck and best wishes to all.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 10 Oct 2013, 3:34pm

Wonderful comment, too ! There are so many nice people everywhere- waiting to show you love and humanity. Thank you, intelligent Altruist !

2. Great comment!!!! Everyone is unique and it’s not a one size fits all! Again great comment!!

9. Jenna Summers 10 Oct 2013, 2:06pm

I would love to know the medication he is taking. My son has bipolar and no medicine has ever worked for him.

1. Brian Wharton 10 Oct 2013, 8:16pm

I can’t say that bi polar has taken over my life but I have had several serious acute episodes and I have hospitalized six times in stays for 18 days or less. Early this year i was put on a combination of Quietapine and Depacote with great results. I also stopped drinking and lost weight and due to gallstones eat low fat when I can. My moods are better and I sleep well.

10. Petra van Goor 10 Oct 2013, 4:25pm

Dear Stephen, I am absolutely tickled pink to hear this. I know how bad depression can get. I think you are a wonderful human being. I am reminded of what you said during the Intelligence Squared debate about all the hateful comments people make: “That’s not nice”. How gentlemanly like. Hugs.

11. “Fry…is bipolar.’

He actually has bipolar, his entire essence and being isn’t made entirely of his mental illness.

12. Stephen has bipolar disorder, he is not bipolar. We really need to stop defining people by their health problems – they are so much more than that.

13. Banned In Boston (Jeannie) 11 Oct 2013, 12:22pm

As a longtime admirer of your incredible talent, intellect, wit, wisdom & exceptional courage, my heart is relieved & my spirit renewed to learn you’ve found a course of medication that appears to be working. Please know how much your presence in this world means to so many of us. We need you to be here – for all our sakes. Stay “Boston Strong”!

14. Who is Stephen Fry ? Are we meant to be interested in his disorders or his medication ?

15. Dave Urquhart 22 Jan, 2:57am

Stephen Fry is not bipolar, he HAS bipolar.