Survey: More than 60,000 civil partnerships have taken place in the past seven years

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Oct 2013, 12:36pm

Regarding CPs for heteroseuxals which I agree with, I had a nasty email exchange with Tim Loughton before third reading who claimed it wasn’t a wrecking amendment to delay the Marriage Bill. I asked him why for the past 9 years he wasn’t campaigning for a change in the CP law and he refused to comment. It most definitely was an wrecking amendment. From my understanding, CPs for heterosexuals will be under review in the coming months as well as other issues such as equal pension rights and humanist weddings.

2. So, that’s 120,000 people who would otherwise have been disadvantaged, emotionally and otherwise, had the law not been changed. I, and my partner of thirty-two years, are grateful to our elected politicians for doing the right thing and for making gay partnerships legally possible.

3. I honestly see civil partnerships as separate but equal. Equal marriage is the only way to go. After receiving a letter from My Labour MP in Stoke on Trent South who shall remain nameless who espoused the separate but equal meme in his letter I am so pissed.
    My husband and I are married, thankfully in a place which allows it legally.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Oct 2013, 1:23pm

Just as some say that the Marriage Bill is unequal because of the lack of parity for pension rights and other issues, CPs by definition aren’t equal regardless of the rights they convey. They too have imbalances in pension rights and straights are banned from having access to them if they choose not to marry. CPs are not marriages under the law. Is your MP Robert Flello by chance?

4. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Oct 2013, 1:25pm

Of course, opponents of equal marriage will use this information and say that the new law wasn’t necessary and that gays didn’t want it. Wait for the loons to start ranting now that Parliament resumes today.

5. Derek Williams 8 Oct 2013, 1:38pm

There will be a lot more marriages once the law takes effect, not only because of transitions from Civil Partnerships, but because many would not have seen value in a civil partnership, since it was a second class category.

6. Hilary Clare 8 Oct 2013, 3:17pm

It would be interesting to know how many gay couples have chosen not to ….

7. Colin (London) 8 Oct 2013, 5:52pm

I certainly want state marriage to be the norm but looking at the numbers is just wonderful to see so many gay people out, proud, living as a couple openly.

It may not be for everyone but look at these numbers. FANTASTIC.

Now we need to sort out pensions etc.

8. so thats 7000 per year,
    we’ve seen a couple of years increase following declines between 06 and 09.
    25% of the CPs take place in London.
    for the first time the number of female CP’s outnumber male.
    There was a rise of 20% in number of CP;s being disolved.
    we can conclude that the majority of gay people have no desire to copy heterosexual models of relationships.its the minority of london based middle class gays that are obsessed with CP’s, everyone else is busy doing what gays do best partying and having sex! vive la hedonism

1. Having the choice is the important thing Rodders. It wouldn’t matter if just one couple married.

Sex and Hedonism is fine if you can fix your age to be never above 25 and have an invincible immune system. But even then it would become boring, dispiriting and empty.