Grandfather’s letter to homophobic daughter who disowned gay son goes viral

1. amazing ! what a man

2. Grandfathering: You’re doing it right. While it is awful that such heartless people as the mother still exist in modern, civilised, society, the Grandfather understands the concept of unconditional love and acceptance. He’ll be a better parent than she could ever dream of being. Good on him.

1. Well… apart from the whole ‘raising a homophobe’ thing…

;)

1. I’ll take a wild guess and suggest he didn’t raise a homophobe because as we have seen so many times children often adopt parents attitudes – sadly not in this case – her ‘superstitious’ faith developed that for her!

2. It seems like the “apple does not fall very far from the tree.” A father disowns his daughter because she behaves in a hurtful way towards her son? He could have been the “voice of wisdom” and used her response to her son’s revelation as a learning experience. He could have asked her to share with him her fears and concerns and then guided her instead of shaming her. We do not know about the relationship between Christine and her son. We do not know about the relationship between Christine, Chad and Chad’s father. We do not know about the relationship between Christine and her father. Christine grew up in her father’s household and may well have acquired her fears and prejudices from him, or her mother. It sounds like her father is an autocratic, mean, spiteful, supercilious, “blame-shame” type of person and needs to ‘walk the walk” before he casts his stones. In my opinion, the abomination is Christine’s Dad getting involved in such a divisive way.

3. I thought this was fantastic and hope that it’s genuine. With all the bad news we’re hearing at the moment about set backs for LGBT equality, it’s good to know that some people are standing with us.

4. This is wonderful. Usually it’s the older generations that are against the LGBT movement. But I guess my grandmother isn’t the only one who believes that you’re born that way and you can’t choose (even though kids my age choose because it’s rebellious and cool when it really isn’t and it’s just childish and insulting). I respect this grandfather. He obviously did NOT teach his daughter to be a homophobic and hateful person who’s close-minded and taught her to love her son UNDER ALL CONDITIONS. I’m straight but I completely support the LGBT community and I’ll stand up for them until the day I die. Hopefully by then, gay marriage will be legal here in the US southern states.

5. Colin (London) 3 Oct 2013, 2:22pm

Stunning..most people are good..even if they need a nudge at times.

Hope his daughter has called both her Dad and her son.

6. This letters has the ring of authenticity, to my mind.

Moving. May it continue to “go viral”!

7. That There Other David 3 Oct 2013, 2:57pm

Bam!! Doesn’t mince his words does he? He also makes the always excellent point about being left-handed and being gay being exactly the same thing when it comes to choice. I hope she takes his words to heart and has a really good think about what she’s doing.

8. Jim Nashville 3 Oct 2013, 3:05pm

no matter what happens with mother and child .. this will always be in their life
    I am so happy that the child has such a loving and supportive grandfather ..
    as the company has verified that the letter and family are real . I will accept that ..
    one day the mother will see the error of her ways . I just hope its not to late to have some part in her child’s life
    I wish all parents could see the light as the grandfather has .. what a wonderful man he is .. I nominate him for Parent of the century

1. I hope this letter is not genuine but unfortunately I fear it is or at least it is a genuine reflection of what some parents think of their gay children. The attitude of the mother to her son is truly disgusting.

Well done Grandad.

9. How can a Mother do this? it’s beyond belief. Thank God for the grandfather, he restores my faith in human nature.

1. marko Hubert 4 Oct 2013, 2:53am

Sorry to put you out of your dream, but still in 2013 parents desow their gay child. We can hope that it will stop some day, but we will have to fight for it.

2. Please keep your Deity thanking to yourself – it’s because of superstition that the daughter is such a hate filled ‘backward’ bi- atch!

10. Brilliant indeed!!!!

11. It is very sad to see a family torn apart like this and must have been hard for the grandfather to do. Let us hope it wakes up the homophobic egg donor who gave birth to this young man (I refuse to call her a mother).

Well done grandad! You are a better parent than your ex daughter could ever be!

12. Most everyone is lauding the Grandfather because he said what his daughter did was against nature. Well perhaps they should Read Romans Chapter 1 to get an opinion from God, about what is truly against nature;
    Romans 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    Romans 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

1. essexgirlbecky 7 Oct 2013, 2:18pm

You seem to be well versed in the writings of Paul. But before you start judging others, perhaps you might want to consider the words of Jesus; I shall assume you are familiar with the Gospel according to Matthew:

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

The Jesus I learned about spoke more of love than of judgement, to the point that he called us all to love our neighbours as we love ourselves. Judging by your earlier comments, I guess you’ve been finding that instruction a little difficult to follow. After all it’s hard to love someone when you have set yourself up as morally superior in every way.

So, in love, I suggest you go back to Romans and familiarise yourself with what happens to those who have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy and be grateful you believe in a forgiving God.

2. Who wrote this? Paul? So you should say “perhaps they should Read Romans Chapter 1 to get an opinion from Paul, about what is truly against nature”.

13. Carl ROwlands 3 Oct 2013, 4:55pm

wow!

14. Part 2
    The Grandfather and Grandson should take the time to read about what God did to Eli and his sons because he allowed his sons to do things which God forbid. Eli himself was righteous, and you’ll find he did verbally admonish his sons, but he did not stop them which he could have done as a high priest.
    1 Samuel 2:22 Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; and how they lay with the women that assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
    God woke up the child Samuel to tell him what would happen to Eli. 1 Samuel 3:11 And the LORD said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle. 1 Samuel 3:12 In that day I will perform against Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an end.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 3 Oct 2013, 5:53pm

Well yes Devon, I’m sure all of that must be a great worry to them.

Having read it myself, I’m st1tting ribbons worrying about that prawn bap I had at lunch time

2. Devon, please read the Bible more closely. Then tell us whether you also believe that you should stone your brother, son or daughter to death if they serve other Gods?” Deuteronomy 13:6, 8-15, or whether you agree that every man is free to sell his daughter into sexual slavery?”. Exodus 21:7-11. A yes or no will suffice. If the answer is no, then please let us know whether you are also able to reject other parts of the Bible. It seems to me like you pick and choose which of Gods words you want to believe.

3. Kelly-Ann Sugapuff 3 Oct 2013, 7:04pm

@Devon
      What are you doing on PinkNews if you are so religious and perfect in the Judeo-Christian God’s eyes?
      Are you “sinless”? Obviously not, it’s impossible.
      Oh, and PS: – the bigger rule your God gave you was “Thou shalt not judge”. The God is the only one who can judge, not you.
      You broke one of your God’s rules – BAM! Destination: Hell.

(PPS: When you get off the religious crack you’re on, try secular humanism. Your life will get harder, but you will have the satisfaction of not being a mindless sheep.)

4. GOD DOES NOT EXIST YOU BACKWARD FOOL

KEEP YOUR HATE FILLED SUPERSTITIONS TO YOURSELF

5. hey devon jump off a bridge.

15. Part 3
    1 Samuel 3:13 For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.
    1 Samuel 4:11 And the ark of God was taken; and the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were slain…… 1 Samuel 4:17 And the messenger answered and said, Israel is fled before the Philistines, and there hath been also a great slaughter among the people, and thy two sons also, Hophni and Phinehas, are dead, and the ark of God is taken. 1 Samuel 4:18 And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that he fell from off the seat backward by the side of the gate, and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years.
    Eli’s son’s particular sin was fornication but read Genesis Ch 19 for the story of Sodom which God destroyed.. Gen 13:13 But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD.

1. Spout your bigoted fairy story’s somewhere else. No one here is interested we do not believe in your sky fairy so do your self a favour and f**k off.

1. Keith in SALFORD 3 Oct 2013, 6:48pm

DEVON.
        I wouldn’t wipe me ‘ole on the bible afraid of what I might catch.
        Keith
        SALFORD

2. Keith in SALFORD 3 Oct 2013, 6:51pm

DEVON
      Yer a d!ckead, god-botherin’ berk…!
      Get a life.

Keith
      SALFORD

3. bobbleobble 3 Oct 2013, 7:54pm

There’s no real evidence that Sodom ever existed outside of the Bible and even if it did the sin of Sodom wasn’t homosexuality but inhospitality.

4. You do realise that every time someone posts one of these lengthy “cut-and-paste” bible tracts here, most of us approach it the same way we treat stuff in our spam filter.

I call it “Godbotting”… regurgitating some 2000 year old turgid dogma by rote as if somehow that impresses a modern gay atheist.

I’m simply not impressed with your musty old book of dubious authority which also advocates slavery, genocide and the death penalty for picking up sticks on the sabbath, amongst other anachronistic crap committed to parchment when people still thought the earth was flat.

As others have said, if you’ve ever worn polycotton socks, eaten a prawn sandwich, had a tattoo or shaved your face, you’ve broken 4 more arbitary rules contained in its pages. If you don’t consider these sins, you derive your morality from somewhere else.

5. GOD DOES NOT EXIST YOU BACKWARD FOOL

KEEP YOUR HATE FILLED SUPERSTITIONS TO YOURSELF

16. Part 1

1. your god is an imagination , and a very bad one too …

2. Whatever, Devon. Blind literalism can “prove” anything. You forget the cultural background of pagan idolatry for one. Can’t be bothered to say any more as you’re probably stuck in your backward mindset and it’ll take God Himself to change you. You come across as a judgemental, backward, ignorant fellow. You need to read between the lines. God IS love and your poor understanding and interpretation of the Bible shames you. :/ God nowhere condemns committed, loving, homosexual relationships. :/

3. Sinead Harkin 3 Oct 2013, 6:49pm

I hope you’re not wearing clothes made from 2 different types of cloth or had a bacon sarnie for your breakfast.Get a life and let others live theirs

4. bobbleobble 3 Oct 2013, 7:50pm

Actually that’s an opinion from St Paul and should be read in the context in which it was written. In any event Paul clearly wasn’t talking about loving relationships between two people of the same sex but people who were doing things against their nature, quite possibly as part of religious rituals, he was writing to the Romans after all! I see nothing in Paul’s ramblings (a man who never met Jesus by the way and we only really have his word for it about the whole Damascene conversion) which condemns naturally gay or for that matter bisexual people.

5. You have every right to believe in what you believe. Doesn’t mean it’s right. Doesn’t mean it’s. Not everyone believes in what you believe. Your beliefs are not right for everyone just others are not right for you. If you think being gay is a sin, then don’t practice it. Don’t sit there and push your opinions onto others and think everyone is sinning and then judge them. Let other people who they are and follow their own beliefs. Don’t come on here and preach about your God and how your religion is the only way. We are all human and deserve to be treated equal no matter what.

6. COPY AND PASTING HUGE BORING PARAGRAPHS OF FICTION GOES NO WAY TO JUSTIFYING PATERNAL HATRED

GOD DOES NOT EXIST YOU BACKWARD FOOL

KEEP YOUR HATE FILLED SUPERSTITIONS TO YOURSELF

17. Sinead Harkin 3 Oct 2013, 6:47pm

I have no children but if I did I’d rather have a gay kid than a narrow minded bigot

18. Keith in SALFORD 3 Oct 2013, 6:52pm

Good for grandad, I say…!

And jump under a bus, DEVON, I also say.

Keith
    SALFORD

19. Keith in SALFORD 3 Oct 2013, 6:55pm

…and take your blood-stained book with you.

Keith
    SALFORD

20. The only thing I didn’t like about the letter was at the end when he “politely” called his daughter a bitch. Other than that, I am glad he took in his grandson and told his daughter how wrong she is.

21. Joan Bolt 4 Oct 2013, 3:48am

It seems like the “apple does not fall very far from the tree.” A father disowns his daughter because she behaves in a hurtful way towards her son? He could have been the “voice of wisdom” and used her response to her son’s revelation as a learning experience. He could have asked her to share with him her fears and concerns and then guided her instead of shaming her. We do not know about the relationship between Christine and her son, Chad’s father or her own father.. Christine grew up in her father’s household and may well have acquired her fears and prejudices from him, or her mother. It sounds like her father is an autocratic, mean, spiteful, supercilious, “blame-shame” type of person and needs to ‘walk the walk” before he casts his stones. In my opinion, the abomination is Christine’s Dad getting involved in such a divisive way. “Dad, you are going to get a nosebleed up on that high horse. Apologize to your daughter and SHOW her your unconditional love.”

1. I am no religious and in fact, I think institutionalised religion should be banned as one of the worst things that could have happened to mankind.
      However, from time to time, I agree with some wise words written in “holy” books, such as those which encourage us to stand against what we consider wrong. For example, I hope everybody here agrees with me that we should stand against homophobia and bigotry. That’s why I think Grandad here did well.
      Was Christine also right in “standing” against what she considered wrong (i.e. homosexuality)? I think not, because her beliefs are based on non-sense, on no-so-wise words spoken by fearful and controlling men, living in very different societies with very different agendas.
      Religious people should stop cherry picking, following the not-so-wise words written in their books and start listening to other really wise words such as “love your enemies”, “be merciful”, etc. etc.

22. Fake. Fake. The keep trying to get stories to go viral so they can push their sh!ty t-shirts. Check out the website – the story hardly makes a mention apart from all the hard sell on the t-shirts. The letter is way too cheesy to come from a grandfather. Did he take a digital photo of it (but not know how to email?), where are the creases in the graph paper? The language is a younger generation… the way he addresses his daughter. All suggests it’s fake and a publicity stunt. Not convinced – check out the website yourself and see the hard sell.

1. The other thing that makes me think it is fake is how has it got posted on facebook, if he sent it his homophobic daughter, I can’t imagine she would post it.

23. soapbubblequeen 4 Oct 2013, 3:55pm

Well done Grandpa. Homophobic b8tch-whore – hope she dies.

24. Esther Drewett 4 Oct 2013, 11:34pm

I am sorry but i find this very distressing , this father has done exactly what he is condemning his daughter for . He has expelled her from his life . She is his daughter and somewhere along the line he formed part of her character , Yes she is wrong in disowning her son and yes his grandparents need to be there to love and support him. But they should be there for her too to help guide and support her and to keep the doors open between mother and son

25. “Read the astonishing letter……”its so in the style of the DM, couldn’t take it seriously from that point on.

26. you go grandpa.

27. i hate all this hate against my peoplr

28. Paul (Canada) 19 Jan, 4:39pm

I always wondered how it is that some fairly decent parents manage to raise douches, only to then raise fairly decent grand children. Makes me think that our education must have more of an impact that we believe in child behaviour and development.