Tory councillor defends gay rights in advertising rejection to Daily Mail

1. Marcwebbo3 1 Oct 2013, 7:41pm

Well done to him…..what a terrific response

2. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Oct 2013, 7:44pm

Great response and reminded the Mail of its egregious comments in the past about gay people. Perhaps he’ll consider the Guardian instead.

3. Well done! I hope no one here buys this rag. Everyone with a moral conscience should boycott this pooor excuse for a newspaper and other like it (the Sun comes to mind)

1. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Oct 2013, 10:00pm

Include the equally obnoxious Telegraph!

1. and the vile daily mirror

4. Good for him, f-ing daily mirror……..

Rats-The lot of them!!!!

5. Fletcher is my kind of Tory. Too bad that they’re still all too rare.

I guess they reached out to him because he’s a Tory and the Daily Mail has always been a Tory rag. I would have liked it even more if Fletcher had addressed that.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Oct 2013, 10:06pm

No too rare, it is getting better. 126 of them at least voted for the Marriage Bill, slightly less than half of their party but it’s a step in the right direction. I’m surprised they even managed to get even that. That’s what is sticking in the backbenchers ‘ craw. Many of them in the Lords voted for the bill too, something they never thought would have happened. In fact, support was slightly higher in the upper chamber. The Daily Heil and Telegraph predicted that it would be ‘massacred’ and look what happened. They’ve not been able to get over it and would never concede it. Very sore losers who should be ignored.

6. Colin (London) 1 Oct 2013, 10:11pm

Well a good man like that..Phew..I’ll get cleaned up and date him anyday!

Go boy go.

7. If only more of the corporate bodies which support the homophobic Fail would do the same, I’m sure they would swifty amend their vile editorial policy. I’ve always found a swift kick to the wallet serves to focus minds on the wisdom of continuing to promote hatred. We must never forget The Fail was a staunch Hitler supporter pre-WWII

8. Wow a cool Tory! Nice to see he mentioned the vile attack on Ralph Milliband.

9. The Daily Mail is an extreme right wing, fascist rag. Its views are little changed from the 30s when it supported Hitler. Quite rightly the Tories are now sick of it too. KB

1. dont be silly its neither of those things

10. Perhaps Stonewall should start a lobbying campaign against businesses which advertise in The Fail. Surely, they could be shamed into withdrawing their patronage of such a vile, divisive homophobic rag….? After all, The Fail – and the organised religion to which it panders are the last bastions of nasty anti-gay hatred.

11. I would love to see the sales figures for the Daily Heil. I have a feeling it’s in fast decline, like many other failing tabloids in the gutter press.

When I was a manager I banned the Telegraph, Daily Heil and the Sun from the office, if there was a copy of any when I started my shift they would be shredded.

There was discussion with HR about it, deemed as being “unfair”, until I compared some of the stories to those of hate speech by Nazis and right-wing extremists, then it was agreed that they could be considered as inappropriate material for the workplace.

I left there several years ago, but I believe they still have a policy of rejecting those tabloids from the workplace due to their extremist views.

1. What a great idea, I am going to push for that where I work. and get it blocked by web filtering software.

2. What is is with you socialists that you wish to ban things you dont agree with.Who appointed you as the censor-in-chief.you take care of your own newspaper choice and leave others to make their own choices.

12. Good answer. Though sort of does beg the question what ‘a gay man who values immigrants and ethnic minorities’ is doing in the Conservative party in the first place – even if his business interests are first & foremost, you expect he’d be more at home in the liberals.

1. He is also a business man, the Labour party have not shown themselves to be to friendly to businesses, especially if they are successful.

13. Nigel Fletcher 2 Oct 2013, 12:50pm

Well, I’m overwhelmed by the response this has received – it was only meant as a sardonic response that I thought might amuse some of my Twitter followers. But I’m glad I shared it, as it clearly struck a chord.

As for those questioning why I am a Tory, I am proud to be one. Bigotry has no place in Conservatism, and the many of my colleagues who share that view should never abandon the party to those who think it does.

I am however disappointed at the failure so far of my shameless (and only half-joking) dating ad, but thank you PinkNews for including it!