Scotland: Hibernian footballer criticised for tweet at ‘homosexual poof’

1. I wonder how this anonymous homosexual “ruined” Mullen’s night – maybe just by saying “No, thanks.”

1. Dangermouse 1 Oct 2013, 10:17am

For F**ks sake are we not just getting a little bit over sensitive here. this is the real world, not La La land where everyone is ultra nice about poofs and every poof is a saint. I have met some gay guys who I’d call nastier names than that !!!!!!!!! Oh I am gay too by the way.

1. Yes – and, to a degree, I agree. But this tosspot is a role-model (like it or not – scarey isn’t it?). Football (and religion) are the last bastions of homophobia. We MUST jump of instances like this. Otherwise the brainless hooligan football supporter just takes it as a signal that it’s perfectly OK to be homophobic.

2. That There Other David 30 Sep 2013, 6:27pm

So is he bemoaning that he got “bored” by someone without a proper set and that that ruined his night?

3. If this dense nut job had used a racist remark about someone who had bothered him, he would have been suspended and probably investigated by police. Why is it different for people who make homophobic remarks? If he isn’t treated in exactly the same way as he would have been in a racist incident, it proves the FA is applying double standards which sends completely the wrong signal to other would-be homophobes

1. Yes, that is completely correct. Homophobia and biphobia (particularly)
      seem to be Britain’s last acceptable prejudices.

1. I couldn’t agree more, Steven, I often say it myself. Society tolerates homophobia to a certain extent, when it quite rightly doesn’t tolerate racism or anti-semitism, for example, in the same way.

Look at how MPs and MSPs are allowed to spout homophobic bile about marriage equality and it’s “their own personal view.” I doubt any political party would say that if and MP or MSP said black people didn’t deserve equality – they’d be kicked out of the party immediately.

But I think in football, the problem is a wee bit worse than in society in general. And Scottish football probably lags behind football in England when it comes to tackling homophobia, and it’s not exactly being tackled head on in either country.

1. Ah. But ‘the bible’ says we’re abominations. For some unfathomable reason, we ‘respect’ what an old novel says and allow those who ‘believe’ its mad rantings to be as vile and insulting as they want about us. Of course, the bible also condone slavery but no-one ever mentions that for fear of ‘upsetting’ black people. WELL I’M UPSET TOO … by the vile biogts and closet cases who use the bibe to justify their hatred! We really MUST stop pandering to religion. The world – and education – have moved on.

2. Yes, I would agree that homophobia and biphobia are
          worse in football than in society as a whole. Football for some reason is considered to be a very ‘macho’ and ‘masculine’ sport and if you are a footballer you seemingly have to be a 100% straight bloke with a glamour model for a girlfriend! This no doubt explains why homophobia/biphobia is a bit more prevalent (in my opinion) in this sport than others.

As to whether Scottish football has more of a problem I don’t know. It may do. What we need to remember is that consensual sex between gay men wasn’t made legal in Scotland until 1980/1981 so England and Wales (1967) has a head start in these matters.

I am English and I don’t wish to indulge in national stereotypes but the Scots seem to have an image of themselves as a pretty macho bunch (they rightly take a lot of pride in their soldiers and contributions to Britain’s armed forces) whereas we English don’t feel that way so much.

4. I like the clarification in the headline. . .
    It wasn’t just any old poof but a homosexual one.

This kid just needs educating.

1. Dan Filson 30 Sep 2013, 8:29pm

Are there other varieties? I do so enjoy diversity.

1. There are the Moroccan foot rest/chair type Ottoman Poofs I guess.

2. I thought the word poof meant an effeminate homosexual. I wonder what the word is for an effeminate heterosexual. He does look a bit effeminate himself in that photo.

2. But actually it’s just an unfortunate case of Pink News putting a phrase within quotes inaccurately.

5. He would make a good UKIP councillor!

6. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Sep 2013, 6:46pm

Just exactly what was said to him to elicit such a nasty response?

1. Leigh Hamilton 30 Sep 2013, 6:52pm

“Sorry, you’re not my type”

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Sep 2013, 7:03pm

LOL, it was probably something sexual although I could be wrong of course. Whatever it was doesn’t justify how he responded. Gay men should know better than to hustle straight men, assuming Mullen is or that the tweeter is for that matter.

1. Surely, a person who is comfortable in their sexuality, would have been flattered to have such attention and able politely to decline any advance? His reaction says far more about him than he would like to think. ‘Show me a homophobe – I’ll show you a closet case’.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Sep 2013, 7:17pm

Yes, I agree and often the case, not all but most. I’d never dare make a move on any straight male no matter how comfortable he might be around gay men unless of course he were to make the first move and I were absolutely sure it was genuine. On the other hand, one has to consider entrapment of course and the subsequent violence that often accompanies it like we’re now seeing in Russia. What a world.

2. Not all homophobes are secret self-loathing gays but
            a very high percentage are. Some are just plain ignorant.

Speaking of footballers, wasn’t David Beckham a gay icon at one time? I have read that he used to walk around his kitchen whilst his wife Victoria was there and proudly proclaim ‘I am the gay icon, I am the gay icon!’

7. He’s rather good looking so I can imagine him getting attention from both sexes.

1. Yep- but which one is he interested in?

1. Who cares? He sounds like an obnoxious twat.

2. I’ll put him down as opened minded, should the right bloke come along. Most men are flexible.

8. He plays for Hearts, not Hibs.

9. soapbubblequeen 30 Sep 2013, 11:33pm

She needs to tone down that blusher, and get her pearlies fixed by the looks of it. She might have more luck then!

10. “Thanks you poof bore off and grow a set.”

What exactly does poof bore off mean? He maybe cute but he seems thick as sh*t!

1. I don’t wish to sound prejudiced but he wouldn’t be the first footballer
      to be not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer!

11. Rozza84 – He was released from Hearts at end of last season and signed for Hibs for this season.

I think the fact he’s 19 and deleted the tweet immediately should be taken into consideration.

12. Neon Genesis 1 Oct 2013, 4:22am

How long before he’ll insist he didn’t mean to be a bigot and is sorry “if” he hurt anyone’s feelings?

13. gattagiudecca 1 Oct 2013, 4:45am

Would love to be outraged at him. But he is just too darn cute. Totally would.

14. Ah!Diddums! Did somebody ruin your night.
    I suggest you grow a set and get over it.
    Or perhaps simply grow up.

15. I think this has come about because he was so drunk he didn’t realise he was talking to his inflatable g*y best friend who, indeed, needed to grow a pair.

16. Not sure this homophobic? Obviously some over enthusiastic Gay man? did something either immoral or illegal that upset the young man. Now with out all the information who can judge him? none of the terms used are offensive to me in any context

1. Ron, you must be trolling, really.
      How could you say, obviously this is what happened and then state that one can’t judge without all of the information?
      You seem to be saying that you can judge, but nobody else can.

17. It’s on the front page of Edinburgh Evening News. Apparantly he got hassled on a night out by a rival fan. Nothing sexual.

18. …the scariest fact of life is even GAYS are homophobic, and often blurt out abuse when they fear their getting threatened..