New book claims David Cameron doubted his support for same-sex marriages after Tory party backlash

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Sep 2013, 12:51pm

And your source for that, Matthew D’Ancona, former deputy editor of the Sunday Telegraph no less? Name the people who told you that or was it Cameron himself which I doubt? It seems to be at odds with Cameron’s very positive comments after the marriage bill received royal assent.

1. GulliverUK 29 Sep 2013, 4:44pm

He wrote a very pro-equal marriage piece here;

And whilst most of what the Telegraph writes is anti-gay, this piece isn’t. It would have been quite natural for David Cameron to wonder if he had bitten off more than he could chew, but in this case the overwhelming votes in favor in Parliament suggest it was well worth doing.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Sep 2013, 6:06pm

Wasn’t able to view it Gulliver and tried to find it online but no luck. Did he mention anything about Matthew D’Ancona’s allegation?

1. GulliverUK 30 Sep 2013, 8:17am

Just to clarify, I don’t doubt he had doubts, but without reading the book there is no way to clarify what it claims he said, as certain papers are claiming he said he regretted pushing it through – that is certainly not what he has been saying elsewhere. And frankly it IS through, so I don’t really care what someone might have claimed he said. I could claim he told me he thought the moon was made of cheese, doesn’t make it true. Those who are opposed will just have to put up and shut up, although it will take some time for the latter, but those people are only hurting themselves and the Tory party, neither of which concerns me, in fact, it’s helpful.

I won’t be wasting money on the book, and I’ve no time to read something like that either, I’ve got John Boswells .. enormous .. book to read, and I like to take notes as I’m going, so it will take some time. As you rightly say, comments like these are at odds with Cameron’s public statements.

2. GulliverUK 30 Sep 2013, 8:20am

Oh, and I’ve just seen this;
          David Cameron denies claims in a new book that he regretted his decision to put same-sex marriage into law in England and Wales.” and that seems much closer to all his other statements.

They’re politicians and journalists – it’s difficult to believe anything they say really, on a scale of trustworthiness they’re now below bankers and estate agents – which is not a great place to be :)

2. Strongfemme 29 Sep 2013, 12:53pm

The Bill officially became law once it’s Royal Assent was announced in Both the House of Commons and the House of Lords!..
    Now WE eagerly await the debate in the Scottish Parliament and look forward to Politicians in Northern Ireland following suit.

1. I’m looking forward to it becoming law in Scotland, although I don’t know if I could say I’m particularly looking forward to the debate itself if this is any indication of what we’ll have to listen to, yet again.

2. I’m looking forward to it becoming law in Scotland, but I’m not really looking forward to the debate if this is what we’re likely to be subjected to once again.

3. Not suprising. I dont believe Cameron cares about LGBT people. This is the last thing he’ll ever do for us.

1. de Villiers 29 Sep 2013, 1:25pm

Not surprising? When Cameron has spoken in his party conferences about the positive nature of gay relationships, passed gay marriage, publicly supported Gay Pride, held LGBT receptions in Downing Street, erased historic convictions for sexual behaviour, made no change to the Equality Act provisions relating to protections for sexuality.

Even if gay marriage is the “last thing he’ll ever do for us”, treating us as a group of gay people wanting gay equality rather than people who want the economy to recover, good public services and a positive relationship with Europe, the list is good enough for me.

It seems that nothing Cameron could do, short of taking part in a Cadinot film, would satisfy you.

1. You missed some points off your list: Cameron also spoke and voted strongly in favour of Section 28, voted to ban same-sex couples from adopting children, voted to ban lesbian couples from having IVF, and didn’t bother to vote on the Gender Recognition Act. And seriously, you can’t count not repealing the Equality Act as a positive step. I hope the Conservative party are paying you for this.

1. de Villiers 29 Sep 2013, 11:09pm

All that was before he became leader of his party and changed his mind. He then gave us more rights than people would have thought – including people in his own party.

BUt then, I suppose we could go through the history of any person on issues before they changed their minds. Surely the positive point is when people admit their error and change their behaviour. I would rather applaud that spend time moaning and criticising about what happened in the years past.

4. Elston Gunn 29 Sep 2013, 1:28pm

I have to admit that I quite like Cameron, not a great leader however. Being a liberal Tory at the head of a Thatcherite party must be a nightmare. I will certainly remember him though once he’s no longer PM.

5. I get the impression that quite a sizeable number of Tory party members and probably MPs too have never quite liked Cameron, and have always thought him too liberal for their traditional (bigoted) Conservative values.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Sep 2013, 10:04pm

I agree and it was there before he even mentioned equal marriage which only compounded it. Even if Cameron did actually have regrets, I can’t see how he could think it would help his re-election. It will be interesting to see if it induces him to comment about it.

2. Rhod Gates 30 Sep 2013, 7:44am

Well, didn’t he win the leadership by only a few votes?

6. Colin (London) 29 Sep 2013, 2:24pm

I thank this man from the bottom of my heart. I never expected that we would get marriage but still get emotional that we have. Many people have to be thanked.

Our country will be stronger. The family unit will be stronger but needs to be able to breath and look forward not backward.

I so hope his party doubters and traditionalists see that by working for an inclusive society we will all be richer financially, emotionally, etc.

I never expected marriage to be so divisive and was ashamed to read many submissions to Parliament by those who should have known better.

I hope that someone of influence to the Tory flers will speak up and tell this nation of David Camerons and other leadership in moving Britain fwd on the world stage. There are repercussion happening globally

You may not agree with his politics but this man held firm even in his doubts and delivered for us.

I will remember him to the day I die fondly and hope to find a way to thank him more than just words.

7. I wouldn’t blame him to have doubts, the important thing to remember is that he stuck with it and it is now law. I have full respect for David Cameron.

8. Over stated by the right wing telegraph rag me thinks. I can quite believe that during the passage of the ACT Mr Cameron dispaired of his swivel eyed members – but he persevered. I think his party is out to get him whether he wins or loses next time round. On a positive each year that passes marks another step closer to the grave for many of the old Tory guard – so Dave should take some comfort in that.

9. What does it matter? He stuck to his guns and he delivered same sex marriage with conviction. Something Labour couldn’t do in 13 years of power, and they’re meant to be the progressives…

1. Labour were busy undoing the Tory mess – from finally equalising the age of consent, scrapping the armed forces ban and getting rid of the vile Section 28. So dont start acting like its Labour that fail LGBT

2. On the other hand, during those 13 years, Labour repealed Section 28 and removed the bans on same-sex couples adopting and having fertility treatment, and David Cameron voted against all of those things.

10. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Sep 2013, 2:41pm

Tory bigot loon Peter Bone has tabled an Early Day Motion (EDM) to repeal the marriage bill beginning next month. 42+ have signed on to it. I’ve no doubt Bone(head) will take comfort in this latest speculation by D’Ancona which I suspect is what it is. The only way to dispel this allegation is for Cameron to personally comment right now. Coming from the Telegraph, I very much doubt if there’s any veracity to it. Even if he said something to the contrary, I’m rather sure D’Ancona has spun it out of context. The Telegraph thrives on sensationalism and twisting the truth or facts.

1. Elston Gunn 29 Sep 2013, 4:33pm

Is this available online Robert, I would be interested to see who has signed it?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Sep 2013, 10:10pm

Not that I know of Elston, but you can bet Tim Loughton, David Burrowes, Nadine Dorries, Cheryl Gillan, Henry Smith, Tony Baldry, Sir Gerald Howarth, Richard Drax, Theresa Coffey, Jim Shannon (DUP), Charlotte Leslie have among others. Once Parliament convenes in October we may know more about it.

2. Weird thing for someone to do. oh sorry was forgetting it’s the failed businessman tuned politician Peter Bone. EDMs never usually get debated and are little more than petitions. I suppose it’s cause Bone”s SSM refernedum bill prob won’t even get time to have it’s second reading on 29 Nov. If mps do get round to it then labour will simply talk it out until 2.30pm. By end Nov there”s only 3 private member bills Fridays left until end of the session in April so the swivel eyed loonies bill is really dead already. Hence another pathetic EDM petition. Do u think Mrs Bone typed it up? she is after all now his secretary and so on 40k of public money thanks to Mr Bone. Imagine give your wife a job on the tax payer! That must be what he means by traditional marriage?

11. True Conservatives only have beliefs up to a point, it’s all about pragmatism. If same sex marriage didn’t have the majority of peoples support and wasn’t so inevitable I highly doubt he would bother. ‘Change in order to conserve’.

12. Well first of all the source sounds very shady. Secondly, when everyone around is telling you that you are wrong it’s easy to second guess yourself. Am I doing the right thing? Everyone is against me, does that mean I’m wrong? It would be natural for Cameron to second guess his decision because of the resistance; but the important thing is he stuck by his word and his instincts and done the right thing. That’s all that really matters now.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Sep 2013, 4:22pm

It always amazes me when people write stuff based on allegations made by an alleged “ally” to Cameron after reading the Telegraph article. The source should be named. It’s quite possible it was taken out of context and embellished, nothing new for the Telegraph or the Mail. Cameron really should confirm or deny it. If it’s true, that wouldn’t bode well for future gay support in 2015 and beyond. The opposing back benchers are out for his blood and this latest allegation will only exacerbate the situation if there is any truth in it which gives them ammunition to dump him, something the Telegraph I’m sure supports. It just doesn’t make sense to me wanting to prove himself weaker than he already is.

13. Ten years from now Tories will tell the story of the fight for marriage equality in a way that won’t come close to reflecting reality. They’ll take FULL credit for it and act as if their Party was 100% united in the fight for justice and equality. In their revised version, the Tories will have had voted unanimously for marriage equality with Labor and the LibDems fighting them all the way.

Bet on it!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Sep 2013, 9:56pm

Am not so sure about that. If it weren’t for the majority of the Labour Party voting for it, it wouldn’t have passed. There’s no way the Tories could even attempt to refute that. They can take some credit but not all. If it weren’t for the Liberal Democrats pushing for it, neither Labour or Tory parties would have bothered.

14. Am all for people who want a same sex marriages, personally I don’t (family reasons). I’m all happy for you, good for you and the policy. However I’m not going to say I like Cameron because of one policy decision. Look at the bed room tax, look at tax breaks for married couples, look at the student loans debacle, the selling off of the NHS, disabled people killing themselves over ATOS and the government not stepping in. Freezing pay of teachers, doctors, nurses – the bed rock of society.

I cannot support this guy, I really cannot. One policy will not make me like the guy or his party. It does not surprise me with the Tory party that he got a backlash. They are ideologically patriarchal with sentiment based around the Christian religion. They believe all livelihoods should be based on a business model. Business models do not take for account life experiences.
    This policy is a folly see beyond people. Politics is a bad game and all people will get hurt at some point, all of us!

15. So why isn’t this book about the character of the current PM and Govt all over the BBC, in the way that McBride’s book about the past was all over the BBC during the Labour Party conference?

Nothing to do with the Beeb’s political editor Nick Robinson being a former chair of the Young Conservatives, then?