Tesco sells inflatable ‘Gay Best Friend’ doll

1. Jock S. Trap 27 Sep 2013, 11:55am

Erm… f**k you Tesco’s… Amazon and eBay!

1. It doesn’t seem to be there any more. The link now redirects to some landing page.

2. What is wrong with these companies?!

Someone needs to be fired, and I would suggest that it’s whoever is making the decisions about what their companies sell.

Also, a side note… Will & Grace and Sex in the City are SO last decade! ;)

3. The problem with the doll isn’t the fact that it is gay, in my opinion. Gay stores like Prowler etc have been selling these things for years, so if you’re criticising Tesco you need to also criticise every gay store selling these things.
    The problem is the censorship. If Tesco are going to make money off of us, they can at least properly acknowledge our existence.
    (And to be fair, Tesco did sponsor London gay pride in 2012.)

1. colonelkira 27 Sep 2013, 4:47pm

THANK YOU! Well put!

4. The best one is on Amazon:
    “Place the friend of Dorothy’s in water, and watch him grow about 600% in 72 hours!”

5. I’ve emailed a complaint to Tesco purely for the asterix. hiding the word gay as though its a swearword is appalling and tells young people that its a naughty word. great step forward for equality from the retail giant.

1. I have to admit, I was more irritated about the asterisk than the product itself.

6. Because we are too rare to be found I suppose. Or maybe because they would have to be nice to a REAL gay person….I can’t think of anything else :(

7. Michael 2912 27 Sep 2013, 12:15pm

So this is a joke right – it must be! Ha f***ing ha!

8. That There Other David 27 Sep 2013, 12:20pm

Poor taste, but considering this is Tesco, who are known for LGBT support, I would put this down to a bad decision from someone who didn’t think it through properly.

1. To be fair, tesco would sell organs or children if there was money in it for them. They’d sell ANYTHING if it made a profit lol

9. This will upset the evangelicals, but where is the Prophet Muhammad one?? (pbuh)

10. I suspect I may be in a minority in that I don’t take extreme offence at this. It is patronising but pretty benign. We are becoming more mainstream, which is what we wanted. Perhaps this is the Gay version of the Gollyw0g and I really should object.

11. This is hilarious! Some gay guys really are like this, so why try and hide it?

So long as people don’t think ALL gay guys are like this (which would make them idiots) I really don’t see the problem.

1. That’s the only issue I have with it, it is possible it may lead to more stigma and stereotyping something which gay men in particular could do without.

2. Maybe to make it explicitly clear that gay men come in all shades, shapes and sizes, Tesco could sell a whole range of blow-up gays. The Bondage Bear, The Two Gay Dads, The Closeted Tory Peer…

3. It’s not the doll I’m particularly bothered about, it’s the fact that it’s a “g*y” doll rather than just “gay”. That’s the rather more offensive part.

12. I don’t really see where all the controversy lies with this particular item. The “mental patient” Hallowe’en costumes clearly stigmatised the mentally ill as violent and murderous, which would have a negative influence on wider attitudes to mental illness, but this ? Sure it is using a stereotype of gay men, but it is hardly a particularly negative stereotype, and I really doubt that this will fan the flames of homophobia. I hope Pink News and LGBT Rights groups don’t get oversensitive on this one.

1. So 3-4 year-olds, when asking what a “gay best friend” is, will be told that although not much can be said for his own attire, he is “ready to give you fashion advice, tell you if your bum looks big and b**ch” (belch?) “about everyone who doesn’t war Jimmy Choo’s”.

Well, I must admit I’m not trendy enough to know what Jimmy Choo’s are, but I can still pinpoint stigmatism when I see it.

1. colonelkira 27 Sep 2013, 4:49pm

You need a sense of humour……STAT!

2. A lot of homophobia is brought about due to the perceived notion that all gay men are feminised, stereotypes like these reinforce that misguided notion and can provoke hostility.

1. colonelkira 27 Sep 2013, 4:49pm

What a load of old dogs bollocks.

1. No, Jord is right!

A lot of homophobia comes from sexism; the idea that gay men are feminine and feminine is weak therefore gay men are “BAD MEN”

Nobody has a problem with my “straight acting” gay friends; but my super skinny fabulous androgynous high-heel and make up wearing david bowie-esque “queen” friend had a much harder time finding acceptance.

Same goes for “butch” lesbian friends; it’s not that they’re gay that’s the problem; it’s that they shatter the status quo and break the gender binary.

We’re still living in a 1950s delusional fantasy of what it means to be a “man” or “woman” and a lot of homophobia is a result of this paradigm

3. I’m with you on this one – Mr Storm meet Ms Teacup. I don’t have enough time or energy to get all worked up over this.

4. I have mental illness and I’m gay

Which one was worse? I think I’ll have to go with the “mental patient” because that is actually offensive and perpetuates stigma, the doll isn’t “offensive” although it is VERY tacky and VERY tasteless and “offensive” to the eyes

13. Is this some kind of religious icon? It would explain g*y, similar to how some people write g-d.

14. Apart from anything else, I find it odd (and a little sad) that someone actually bothered to design, package and market this object.

(Time to count my blessings in my own job.)

15. GulliverUK 27 Sep 2013, 1:07pm

How bizarre. So we’re reduced to a heterosexual accessory!

“we want to make sure everyone in Tesco feels they are treated with respect” Really? Does this doll do that? Is it going to make gay people feel proud and does it treat them with dignity?

Tesco go on to say they are an active memory of Stonewall. This is on their web site.

It reinforces a stereotype that only ever really existed in the minds of heterosexuals. Besides, the thing is so tacky .. what the hell is going on with those boots ! What a bunch of knobs.

1. colonelkira 27 Sep 2013, 4:50pm

Seriously…..you need to get a life. It reinforces a stereotype that exists in the REAL world.

16. I really don’t see the problem here. Are we running the risk of us (as gayers) developing a huge chip on our shoulder, and the nation turns so politically sensitive – as it has done with anything that even hints at highlighting the differences between mankind – that we can’t even sell a bloody blow up toy doll, that happens to be wearing a pink T-Shirt? There is a fine line between laughing ‘with’ and laughing ‘at’ – but let’s not make this band wagon roll faster by being over-sensitive on the issue.
    Like others, my biggest concern is why they felt the need to asterisk out the word ‘gay’, but come on, what’s next – not being able to find a cowboy costume at a Fancy Dress shop because it conforms to a stereotype that nobody actually believes is replicated anyway?!

Tesco is a massive institution, who supports (to my knowledge) equality and diversity – let’s not criticise the company because one buyer got it wrong. (and no, I don’t work for Tesco!)

17. Awwww, I think it’s cute. The only problem is the ridiculous asterix.

1. colonelkira 27 Sep 2013, 4:51pm

Word!

18. What’s next? A gay, Nigerian asylum-seeker mentally ill AIDS patient blow-up doll?

19. It’s funny, some of the people on this thread who are outraged about this also left comments on another thread the other day telling people to get a life for finding an MSP’s tweets offensive.

I’m not saying we should all take offence at every perceived slight, and I realise what one person finds offensive, another person won’t find offensive in the slightest.

But it’s a bit rich to slag other people off for being offended about something and then just a couple of days later leave comments saying you find something offensive.

1. I’m very rarely “offended” by anything these days; when you’ve had people call for your death or had the “it’s not a choice” debate with shockingly ignorant homophobes for the billionth time; comments from MP’s and stereotypes become nothing.

I don’t find the doll offensive as a gay man, I find it offensive as an intellect! I hate all inflatable novelty dolls equally! Gross!

Tesco really should know better by now though lol

20. David Mcdonald 27 Sep 2013, 2:33pm

This is not offensive and people who think it is need to SERIOUSLY get a grip on life. Its a stereotype,… there is plenty of str8 stereotypes.

The more offensive thing is the censored the word g*y.

It angers me when the race card or the sexuality card is played SO many times.

1. Staircase2 27 Sep 2013, 3:08pm

Actually what’s offensive is that a major retail chain could consider this as a viable purchase.

And contrary to what a few people are saying on here, it IS a problem to reinforce stereotypes ESPECIALLY to 3-4 year olds…

@David Mcdonald could you explain how this is ‘playing the sexuality card’…? (and what has this got to do with ‘race’…?)

1. colonelkira 27 Sep 2013, 4:53pm

Climb your staircase to your ivory tower where evreything is plain and vanilla and we all just get along and blah blah blah………..How can it be reinforcing something that EXISTS?…….sheesh

1. Staircase2 4 Oct 2013, 2:59am

Your response actually makes no sense…

21. colonelkira 27 Sep 2013, 4:46pm

I think it’s awesome! Hysterically funny and realistically what a lot of women want anyway!………If we can’t laugh at ourselves then what’s the point?

1. Couldn’t agree more, mate. Just lifted my day. Sublime!

2. I think it’s kind of funny and although I dislike stereotypes its obviously VERY tongue in cheek; but the fact that censored the word “gay” from the website is ridiculous!

22. this is pretty tame when compared to the mental health costumes. After all what straight lady doesn’t want a gay best friend. Sadly there just aren’t enough of us to go round everyone, so if they chose to but a bit of plastic piffle, who am I to judge?

23. Nobody has mentioned this yet, so ama go ahead and…

“The product is described as being suitable for ages 3-4.”

?!??!?!!? LOL

24. Well, given that the other products in the range are items like ‘Grow your Own Jesus’, ‘Grow Your Own Nun’ and ‘Grow Your Own Buddha’, I think that there are far too many gay people who take offence far too easily. I suggest they start participating in Gay Prides in Eastern Europe, like I have, for a reality check.

25. cade in Aus 2 Oct 2013, 1:32am

I’m gay and I find it hilarious. Yes it plays on stereotypes but that’s the point, that’s why it’s funny, they’re exactly that, stereotypes. Lighten up people. It’s funny.