Gallery removes exhibition of gay couples kissing in churches after Vatican threatens legal action

1. Mister Fister 26 Sep 2013, 5:42pm

So the photographs “could harm the religious sentiment of the faithful”? What about the harm the Vatican has caused in the world for hundreds of years?

1. Well said

2. Oh dear… offended by a photo… pathetic organisation.

1. That There Other David 26 Sep 2013, 5:59pm

Yep, their faith is obviously very weak if this threatens it so much.

I hope Italian LGBTs now organise a flash-mob for kissing in churches. It does sort of call for it.

1. Peter (Nottingham) 27 Sep 2013, 8:58am

O M G YES

3. Threatening to drag a gallery to court over some photographs is the Catholic Church’s way of NOT obsessing over same-sex relationships?

1. The organisation is obviously out of rational control.

4. “In the images in which the church have seen provocation”

Come on Flavio, don’t be coy. It’s quite clearly provocation. Own it!

1. That There Other David 26 Sep 2013, 6:16pm

If it weren’t for a kiss between two men the entire Catholic Church would not exist.

1. Guys, you can thumb me down all you like. I’m not saying I’m on the side of the Vatican but it’s CLEAR that taking a picture of two men kissing in a church to exhibit in Rome is meant as provocation.

It’s a good thing to stir things up and the Vatican needs to be shaken a little. But don’t act all coy and go: how can you see this as provocation, when it’s just an act of love.

The guy who took these pictures is either an idiot who thinks that it wouldn’t be seen as provocation or someone who was intending to cause a stir and has got what he was after. My money is on the latter. No one would have heard of this exhibition if instead of kissing in a church, these men had been kissing in a barn.

Now go on and hit the thumbs down.

1. I agree with you, but I see this as a very positive story for almost everyone involved – except the Church ;)

He has some great publicity and will likely now be able to tour all over the world on the back of it.

We have given another example of how backward and outdated the Catholic church is, with this story being shown all over the world and the church embarrassed by their prudish views.

Plenty of people will look at this as just another example of how the Catholic cult is remaining in the dark ages and needs to be abandoned for the betterment of mankind.

The only loser here is the Catholic church. It’s once again shot itself in the foot. Soon it will have done it so many times it can no longer function. That will be a great day for Humanity.

2. Wasn’t provocation the object of the exhibition, and to make people think.

Like all authoritarian organisations trying to ban something , by their very reaction the Vatican have ensured the discussion and examination of the very thing they tried to supress. Talk about foot in mouth disease.

Brilliant publicity which would have otherwise cost thousands and the plus is it shows up the RCC as being dogmatic and oppressive.

1. Exactly my point. I find it silly to act all surprised that the Vatican gave them what they’d asked for. I’m sure a lot more people will go to this exhibition now than they would have otherwise.

5. If the pictures could be so “harmful to the religious sentiments of the faithful” they should just bloody well not go to the exhibition in the Galleria L’Opera. Simples.

6. For all the harm done to children molested at the hand of priests and the coverups, the Vatican and Catholic church clearly have no ability to assess what “could harm the religious sentiment of the faithful”.

7. Scottishguy 26 Sep 2013, 6:23pm

My bf and I made a point of kissing in St Peters, the Sistine Chapel and any other church we happened across in Rome. Get over yourselves!

8. Spencer D. Welch II 26 Sep 2013, 6:40pm

Screw ‘em, just post the pictures on your every LGBT website on the net and Facebook as well.
    There also Huffington Post and Daily KOS, not to mention Rachel Maddow on MSNBC (at least here in the U.S.).

9. Harming religious sentiment of the faithful? Nah the only thing that is causing the harming is the church itself. Both to its own organisation by driving away its masses through homophobia and too society as it has no regards for peoples civil liberties. Either way they are still going too lose people of the faith….

10. Solution: Launch a FB campaign asking gay couples (or not) to go to places of worship across Europe (or the world) and take a photograph of them kissing or showing affection, and to post it online… Is the Vatican going to take down FB?

1. A very bold and imaginative suggestion!

I congratulate you, Francois.

11. I really hope the legal challenge against the vatican succeeds. It is pathetic that the catholic church – a bunch of self-appointed men in fancy frocks – can exert such control over a rapidly-expanding secular society.

12. I wonder what the legal basis of a lawsuit would be?

13. I can think of a Scottish cardinal who wouldn’t be offended…..

14. Religious people and organizations are always ready to pissed off about something -anything. It is their foundation.

15. The Vatican marketing machine charges into action once again.

Great way for a snapper to get attention.

16. Narelle Smith 26 Sep 2013, 10:42pm

So its okay to molest children but not for a couple of two consenting adults to kiss o_O

17. News like this harms the Vaughan. They use there hatred of lgbt as an excuse and hide behind their religion. I thought christains did not hate clearly I was wrong.

18. As Pink News isn’t going to give you a nice link to the images here’s the best I could find. 16 of the photographs from an Italian news site

1. Cool :)

I love the way they’re all pretty tame and then BOOM number 7 getting raunchy aaaawwww yeeeeaaaaaa

2. Thank-you Kevin for posting the link. The photographs are stunning and beautifully posed.

19. I love photos of men kissing; they’re just so damn cute. It’s sad to think so many people are disgusted by something that I find more adorable than a basket full of puppies. Today on “Chicken Shop Live” there were 2 men kissing and all the girls in the room were like “EEUUUURRRR!!!” even though they know I’m gay and like me very much! They probably didn’t even realize how that came across to me *sighs*

Luckily I know it’s only because they never see it though. Psychology proves people are only repulsed by that which they are systematically censored from and conditioned to think is “gross”; so no harm no foul :)

20. Maybe it’s time Catholic priests went into Homosexuals dens of depravity and bless those who label themselves ‘gay’ , perhaps carrying out and odd exorcism or two on the way .It might get rid of some of the demonic hatred this group has for Christ and his Church .The homo-lobby are fascists in the same cast as the Nazis who defiled synagogues by turning them into urinals etc .

1. Sad to think you see love and the symbol of love as the equivalent of piss; says much more about your “depraved” mind than ours! Say, did you read the various links I gave you or are we still living in complete denial?

1. Poor old Ray is a classic troll, Mr Pink – hysterical in his self-absorption and, in this case, persecution mania, and clearly absolutely incapable of struggling out of the strait-jacket of his prejudices. Wouldn’t he and floridahanky be perfectly suited (except the latter loathes catholics)?

[An own goal here, I'm afraid - how thrilled the wee things must be that they're being written about!]

1. Oh, I thought him and florida hank were the same person!! Religious homophobes in denial are all such clones to me these days I find it hard to remember which one is which

1. Perfectly understandable. :-)

2. Christopher Coleman 27 Sep 2013, 5:24am

Many churches are in fact conducting same gender marriages these days. The ceremonies, like the heterosexual marriage ceremonies, include a kiss. That kiss, like any other, in no way desecrates the church. What has desecrated the Church from its inception is the hypocrisy that hides within it, the same hypocrisy that Jesus always condemned.

The “the demonic hatred this group has for Christ and his Church” is true of only a percentage of LGBT people and is not true of the entire group. In the same way the equally demonic hatred of LGBT people regularly expressed by some churches, religious leaders, priests and lay people does not represent every Christian church or every Christian.

As to the photographs that are the subject of this discussion, some viewers will like them and others will be bored. Most people do not go to art exhibitions; they rarely even hear about them. Now, thanks to the Vatican, everyone knows about this one, including the faithful they want to protect.

3. You pathetic hate monger -

21. Bring the exhibition to London!

22. I find it very strange that an organization that has lasted for over 2000 years & presumably has the protection on an omnipotent god feels so threatened by a few photographs.

23. GulliverUK 27 Sep 2013, 2:45pm

Most people don’t give a stuff about upsetting the “religious sentiment of the faithful” given the homophobia and hate and vile and defamation of others that comes from Christian leaders. They act like dictators and thugs – just like they always have. Another nail in their cult’s coffin, by their own hand.

I’d love to see those photos so perhaps the gallery can post them online. I want to know what’s offensive about seeing someone showing affection towards another.

If they are Catholic churches just go and shoot 10x more pictures in welcoming and affirming churches and post those instead. Screw the Vatican.

1. Christopher Coleman 27 Sep 2013, 4:36pm

An earlier post by Kevin has a link to some of the images. It is all too much of the same to my taste. I can think of many other exhibition themes in which just a single one of these photographs would work effectively. Also, if the pictures are supposed to be about people showing affection, they are not very successful, because they are too obviously posed. It does not help that all the couples are in very similar positions with, generally, similarly ornate backgrounds. Rome’s great variety of church architecture should have been exploited. I can think of so many poses (standing, seated) and so many expressions of affection in addition to kissing, so many public and so many quiet corners of these churches as locations, indoors and outside, that I cannot help but regret that the photographer has missed an opportunity to create an exhibition of pictures that could be interesting as pieces of art and positive images of gay people.

24. On the other hand, the churches should have given permission for part of their buildings to be photographed and published for public viewing.
    I don’t see anything wrong in the photographs – indeed, the one in PN looked very tasteful, but knowing the Roman Catholic’s present views on all things gay, particularly, ithe church’s reaction is something we could well expect.

25. Velvet Steele 27 Sep 2013, 5:22pm

WTF could they charge them with? showing love in the house of god? We’re all supposed to be children of god in that house playing together, but tell me when did this nasty nanny to come to the house? They should clean up their own dwelling!!!! Vatican idiots!

26. Beelzeebub 27 Sep 2013, 5:36pm

As we all now know.

Images of love is NOT part of christian doctrine.

27. I wouldn’t mind that one on the right! Tasty! Who gives a stuff about Poop Jim Bowen.