Head of Barilla pasta says ‘We won’t include gays in our ads’

1. Sister Mary Clarence 26 Sep 2013, 3:16pm

Thanks very much mate for your take on the world – I don’t fit with your fundamental values, and ditto, you don’t fit with mine.

I’ve never hear of your pasta brand until today, and I promise you I will go to my grave without ever buying it.

1. Loving the username – one of my favorite films :)

2. That’s fine with me. From now on, I won’t feature Barilla pasta in my kitchen cupboard. Hope everyone else feels the same …?

1. Yes easy, gay people and their families won’t be buying your Barilla pasta from now on, it would be tasteless.

1. it would be tasteless.

Haha, good comment!

3. “As a father of multiple children, I believe it’s very hard to raise kids in a same-sex couple”.
    Is he in a same sex partnership? How would he know whether it’s easy or difficult to raise children in a same sex family?
    Or maybe he thinks because it’s difficult for him, it should be equally if not more so, difficult for everyone else.

Pure ignorance if anything.
    Studies have conclusively shown that children do do well in same sex families. They also usually get both gendered role models from relatives and friends. So it’s not reasonable for the anti-gay squad to state that same sex families don’t work because children need both genders in their lives. Most children in same sex families do get that. And some children *not* in a same sex family environment, don’t get that.

1. I went to a boarding school. I hardly ever saw my parents and had only male role models. Most of the Cabinet went to boarding schools. So what point is being made by Mr Barilla exactly and on what evidence?

2. St Sebastian, the humanist 26 Sep 2013, 3:38pm

As a busy businessman, I wonder how much hands on parenting experience he had. Perhaps he thinks being a parent is building a business empire to leave his family. Patronising much.

3. Perhaps Signor Barilla should click on this link to see an example of family life:

4. Quote: “Attempting to play-down his original remarks, Guido Barilla has now said: “With reference to statements made yesterday, I apologise if my words have generated controversy or misunderstanding or if they have hurt the sensibilities of some people. In the interview I simply wanted to highlight the central role of the woman in the family.”
    Now he’s insulted independent women too …!

1. But he should be actively seeking out lesbian families to advertise his firm’s products.

5. St Sebastian, the humanist 26 Sep 2013, 3:33pm

No more Barilla pasta or sauces for me! Sacla brand sauces are far superior anyway.

6. Jock S. Trap 26 Sep 2013, 3:34pm

His loss in more ways than one.

So he wouldn’t do it, he shouldn’t have said it coz I won’t buy from a company that isn’t family friendly… families that come in all different ways.

Ignore us and we’ll surely do the same.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Sep 2013, 3:38pm

The woman has a fundamental role in the family? What about fathers? Clearly, a typical sexist Italian mindset influenced obviously by the roman cult indelibly ingrained in the psyche of many Italians.

What would he say to a divorced or widowed hetero parent raising children without ever remarrying or even adopting I wonder?

Barilla’s pasta is overrated and there are far better ones than that. It’s the only pasta company which manufactures its product outside of Italy, i.e. the United States.

Del Verde, Colavita, De Cecco, Rustichella, Agnesi, and many artisanal brands are out there to name but a few surpassing Barilla. What an idiot!

1. Mister Fister 26 Sep 2013, 5:19pm

I am very impressed by your seemingly extensive knowledge of brands of pasta. You should consider applying to appear on Mastermind!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Sep 2013, 5:54pm

Have been cooking Italian food for over 40 years, Mister Fister. There are many more excellent brands but I mentioned just a few. I also make my own from scratch depending on my mood and time frame.

1. Christopher in Canada 28 Sep 2013, 12:23am

What time is dinner? Shall I bring a salad or wine?

2. Robert,
      Aren’t you being somewhat prejudicial by saying: “Clearly, a typical sexist Italian mindset . . .”

Whilst I disagree with Barilla’s viewpoint I wouldn’t want to make the assumption that his views are the norm for all Italians.

I genuinely think you know better than this and that your post was in frustration and annoyance.

8. An over priced wheat pasta anyway! Sexist – homophobic Italian man – no surprise their – A nation of Mumma’s boys!

1. Learn to write 26 Sep 2013, 3:58pm

Not their………

their – use when it describes something that belongs to someone.

there – use when it describes a place.

they’re – use when shortening they are.

…….your comment is also bigoted and racist.

9. To be fair, he’s only saying what most advertisers are thinking. How many TV adverts can you think of which do feature gay couples and families? Two? One? None?

1. why doesn’t he feature a lesbian couple: two ‘fundamental’ women and no assholes like him.

1. Exactly! If the role of women is so central to his concept of a family, having a female couple will make it twice as good!

2. Remember this –

and what happened afterwards? Am I the only person here who still boycotts Heinz?

1. No. I still boycott them. I wrote to them about this and never received a reply. My boycott probably isn’t hurting them at all, but I feel I’m standing by my principles.

2. I still boycott Heinz too. I also tell anyone who asks me why the reason I don’t buy Heinz. I’ve persuaded more than a few people to boycott them too. As for this pasta, I’ve never bought it and I never will now. Families come in all different forms and this guy’s silly not to acknowledge that. I also notice that when he thinks ‘gay’ he automatically thinks of gay men like so many people who are either ignorant or homophobic ( or both).

3. Harry testy 26 Sep 2013, 6:44pm

It’s not that he won’t feature gay families in his adds, that’s not the problem. The problem is his overall homophobia.

4. In the U.S. there are several : Sears, Ikea, Southwest Airlines, Bally Total Fitness, Sprint, Amazon Kindle, J.C. Penney (Ellen De Generis featured), Crate and Barrel, and targeted ad campaigns like the Oreo cookie with a mountain of multicolored filling during Pride month.

5. Good point. To be fair, they also very rarely feature mixed race families, single parent families or anything other than the classic nuclear family.

Always the same thing: nuclear family with the 2 kids and the dog, sitting down at the table like a 1950s Christmas Card. Smiling and laughing away in their nice (and ironically television free) dining room.

I hate that crap. Constantly reminds me that a) I never had that as a kid and b) i’ll never fit that image as an adult. Joy!!!

Can’t stand television anyway so not too fussed anymore. Done my head in as a teen though! Constant bombardment of “THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BEEEEEEEE” and being reminded I’m not what society really “wants”.

10. David in the O.C. 26 Sep 2013, 4:06pm

This is just a typical “gender roles” mindset. Men work, and woman stay home and raise the children… and make Barilla pasta dinners for their families. Of course, he should acknowledge that families come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, regardless of sexual orientation.

I do have a big issue with him being against gay couples adopting. Those children don’t have ANY parents, let alone a mom and a dad. I don’t hear people like him denigrating single-parent households, which are clearly worse off than two-parent households.

If I were him, I’d tell my ad agencies to get to work on a new commercial that shows all types of families, including those headed by gay couples. The financial fallout from his comments could be massive.

11. Not sure if I’ve ever used Barilla pasta before, but I know for certain I won’t be using it in the future. The ignorant buffoon a) thinks that as a male parent in a mixed sex afamily he knows all about being a same sex parent; b) wants to clarify that he was only trying to say how important the role of “the woman” is in a family – not considering that quite a few same sex couples are going to have two women in them.

12. Well that’s okay. I won’t be buying any of your products again.

13. Well, Mr. Barilla has energized me with his blatant homophobic attitude.

I owned a pasta making machine, years ago and gave it up in favor of ready made. I think I’ll purchase a new one and get back into the habit of making my own. At least I’ll know what’s in it and be assured of the quality. In one afternoon, I can make enough, dry it, and be assured of a supply to last me several months. Hey, can you think of a better gift to take to a friend, when visiting, than a batch of your own home made pasta?

1. “Gary’s coming over tonight.”
      “Which Gary?”
      “You know, Gay Gary!! He brings us the pasta that he makes himself.”

Sounds like it came right out of a 90s British sitcom, doesn’t it? Just kidding, I think its very cute and somewhat of a turn on?! I have pretty weird turn ons lol…

14. I love Barilla pasta and I love freedom of speech.

15. Other italian pasta brands have clearly stated their disagreement with the shocking homophobic remarks of Barilla. You can choose among a lot of other brands like Buitoni or Garofalo. BOYCOTT BARILLA!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Sep 2013, 6:30pm

Garofalo is excellent, one I sometimes buy.

16. Mister Fister 26 Sep 2013, 5:30pm

Guido, I am appalled and horrified by your progressive modern take on the role of women.

My idea of a classic family is where the woman makes her own pasta with flour and eggs while chained to the kitchen sink instead of opening a packet of the tasteless muck that you sell.

However Guido, I am impressed by how easy you make it seem to be a reactionary old tosspot.

1. Agreed. What are women doing watching television adverts anyway? They should be in the kitchen god damnit!!!!!!

He’ll be saying they can drive or wear trousers next; ludicrous.

This guy sounds like the classic Italian patriarch. I love italy; but sadly misogyny is one of its oldest and long-standing traditions :(

17. That There Other David 26 Sep 2013, 5:32pm

Never is a very long time. Back in the 1980s McDonalds had an Operations Manual that clearly stated they would NEVER include a vegetarian product on their menus.

Then times changed, and they did. You never know, maybe in a few decades the mindset of Italian men might have evolved past childhood to the point where Barilla don’t feel threatened by us in such a playground mentality way.

And maybe then I might buy there products again ;-)

1. That There Other David 26 Sep 2013, 5:33pm

their, not there. Blast and Botheration, as Stephen Fry would say.

2. They refer to their operations manual as “the bible” LOL

Highly recommended anti-Mcdonalds documentary: Mclibel. check it out!

18. Bob Bruman 26 Sep 2013, 5:36pm

Ciao, Barilla!

19. They should merge with Chick-fil-A in the USA.

Jesus Chicken and Pasta!

20. His words did not generate any misunderstanding: it is clear he is a bigot.

21. Please remember that also Mulino Bianco, Pavesi and Voiello brands belong to Barilla! BOYCOTT THEM ALL!

22. Both the women in my family play a fundamental role. But from now on, that won’t include cooking Barillo pasta.

23. Robert Stoddard 26 Sep 2013, 8:34pm

He can take us off his list of customers.

24. E. Carpenter 26 Sep 2013, 11:45pm

Some Barilla brands which don’t have “Barilla” in the name:

Alixir — alcoholic beverages,
    Crisp’N Light — biscuits, cookies,
    Cucina Mediterranea — Frozen main dishes,
    Fantasie Del Sole — many food products,
    First Fast — coffee, other food products
    Italy’s #1 Pasta — pasta,
    Macine — baking powder, salt,
    Mulino Bianco — baked goods,
    Natura Al Dente — many food products,
    NutriPlus — pasta,
    Orizzonti — coffee, other food products
    Pan Di Stelle — biscuits, cookies,
    Pavesi — Coffee,
    Pavesini — baked goods,
    Plus — sauces,
    Restaurant Creations — pasta sauces,
    Ringo — baking powder, biscuits, cookies,
    Ritornelli — biscuits, cookies,
    Share The Table — baking pans,
    The Choice of Italy — pasta,
    Voiello — coffee, other food products
    Volare — semolina-based snack foods

25. Oh, no!!!! An Italian pasta company doesn’t want to recognize gay couples in their adverts?!?! However will I sleep tonight?!?! Someone hand me the JD and sleeping pills….

1. it’s not about you
      maybe a bit of solidarity to Italian LGBTs

26. Homo-lobby gets in tizzy over pasta – YOU COULD NOT MAKE IT UP .

LGBTOMG workshops for lasagne and spaghetti on stopping ‘homophobia’ in wheat products .Rainbow coloured noodle protest on it’s way …..

1. Ray accidentally stumbles into digital gay club on way to digital church on a daily basis; proceeds to pretend he isn’t gay

1. Ho! Ho! Ho”, that image makes my day Mr Pink, Ray making his regular daily visit to this virtual gay community on his way to virtual church, he’s so isolated and alone and so deeply closeted poor sod.

2. Ray-vestibule gets in such a tizzy he just has to read the article and just has to comment on it – YOU COULD NOT MAKE IT UP.

27. Armando Sorbi 27 Sep 2013, 6:48am

I don’t care whether someone is gay of ethero, anybody can live his/her own life.
    What I disapprove is that, in this world you can curse God but say no half word about gays. What is homosexuality, the newHoly Grail?

28. Arrigo Bolzoni 27 Sep 2013, 6:52am

Who gives a rat if he doesn’t wanto homos in his ads. It’s still one of the best pasta in the world. Don’t eat it, if you disagree, maybe you don’t know or cannot cook pasta. I will keep on using it, no matter of what

29. Sorry gays, women, single parents, interracial married couples, no barilla pasta for you. Its only for people who conform to the TRADITIONAL FAMILY of the world so ner ner ner ner ner. Just like jews and blacks weren’t allowed certain rights back in the days

1. Oh and also divorced/divorced and remarried couples as well :)

30. Sexist and homophobic.

Need we say anymore?

I have never heard of this brand until I read this article and will definitely not be purchasing it if I ever see it.

31. another imbecile Chick-A-file style.
    just boycott the bastards..

32. Bruce Johnsen 28 Sep 2013, 6:02am

I am very disappointed with this man. At my grocery store they had a special on this pasta. Airmiles and discount. I was happy. I had to buy 3 boxes but I knew I would use them. No problem. I just threw all 3 boxes in the garbage. Never again. Shame on him.

33. Guess who’s never buying Barilla pasta ever again? This girl.
    Homophobic prick.

34. Not had the pasta and won’t.

Here is a complete contrast to Barilla pasta – Neilson milk that’s sold here in Canada.

It looks like gayness has finally been distilled and Neilson are using it in their 2% offering.

Who’da guessed!?

35. floridahank 28 Sep 2013, 9:19pm

Now you’re going to have to read all labels on all kinds of products to make sure you don’t eat something made by his company — your buying schedule just got harder for a very miniscule reason. Good luck on your shopping.

36. HA…this clown is a joke! he and his type of “judgemental color’n book crusade’n sunday worshippers” and their ways wil be push’n up daisy’s soon enough!

37. Sheogorath 3 Oct 2013, 11:49pm

I’ma going skeet shooting this weekend, and guess what I’ll be using for skeets? I won’t need to finance Barilla in any way either, thanks to good old dumpster diving!