Former US President George H Bush is official witness for same-sex marriage ceremony

1. Is it sad that people can’t speak out about their beliefs cause they are worried they will not be popular…

1. barriejohn 26 Sep 2013, 1:57pm

I know of Americans who are atheists when visiting their friends in Britain, but devout Christians when returning home. As an ex-member of a Christian sect, I can understand this. Who wants to be shunned by friends and family, losing social contacts and maybe employment as well, because that is what happens.

2. That is a big gesture. Tea Party Republicans will be spitting nails.

3. Funny thing, at the time during his presidency, I thought that Bush was the devil. But now he looks absolutely enlightened next to the likes the Tea Party. George and Barbara are definitely sending a message through their actions. I never criticise anyone for coming over to the side of LGBT rights. Well done.

4. What self-respecting gay couple would want a mass-murderer to witness their wedding!

1. I think he was one of the more sensible American presidents. He certainly seemed to have had a better grasp of foreign affairs than most of them. At least, his geography wasn’t as bad as his son’s!

2. Are you not getting confused with his son?

5. I wonder if he knew this gay couple in 2004 when he endorsed a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage? Do you think he has amnesia .. or just a memory-of-convenience? Whatever ails him, I’m glad he went. Will it have ruffled feathers among bible-belt homophobic conservatives? You bet!!!

1. James Savik 26 Sep 2013, 12:52pm

George W Bush was president between 2000-2008.

George H. W. Bush, senior was president between 1988-1992. Among republicans, he was often labeled “too moderate”.

1. Bush Senior DID have a better grasp of foreign affairs than his son did and certainly at least knew where different countries were located on a map! His son gave the world quite a few laughs as far as that was concerned!

The only other American President that was also quite good at foreign affairs was Jimmy Carter.

2. Quote: “Speaking to ‘CBS This Morning’ on 25 April this year, journalist Charlie Rose asked Mr Bush’s son, the former President George W Bush about his 2004 endorsement of a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.“Yeah, well, I’m not, I’m not weighing in on these issues, as you know, because I’ve made the decision to get off the stage,” Bush replied. “And so I’m off the stage.”
        I interpreted this to mean that it was George H Bush who ‘endorsed’ the constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage. Sorry if I misunderstood it ….

6. Firstly I think that it’s great that a right-wing conservative has entered the modern world and supports his friends marriage regardless of their sexuality. What I do find disapointing is that this couple seemed to need the approval of the Bushes to feel they were ‘real and normal’

1. barriejohn 26 Sep 2013, 2:00pm

I don’t read that into it at all. If they are “long standing friends” then why wouldn’t they want them to witness their wedding? I think it’s a great thing, and shows just how far America has come in recent years.

7. Lion in Winter 26 Sep 2013, 12:57pm

Donny Osmond used to wear purple socks. What did THAT mean?

8. Confirms what I have always thought about politicians- they accept a political postion that they themselves personally would not support.

Another example of this is tabloid journalists. As a couple of examples- Andrew Pierce and Sarah Vine-miraculoulsy changed their views on joining the Daily Mail.

Do they personally believe all the stuff they spout????

1. barriejohn 26 Sep 2013, 1:54pm

I don’t understand Andrew Pierce at all, but years ago I was gobsmacked when Keith Waterhouse, whose witty and erudite column in the Mirror had been a delight to read, also joined the Mail!

9. barriejohn 26 Sep 2013, 2:02pm

Time for George W to get down off the fence!

10. If the report is true and the two same-sex couples whose weddings were attended by President G.H.W. Bush were old family friends, then that means that G.W. Bush campaigned for a constitutional amendment banning his parents’ friends from getting married. What a horrible son (not to mention what a horrible President.)