MSP denies joking about HIV in ‘Scottish Virus’ tweet

1. Sister Mary Clarence 25 Sep 2013, 11:32am

“MSP denies joking about HIV in ‘Scottish Virus’ tweet”

There are many things in this world worth taking offense at by this is truly pathetic.

There is nothing to indicate any connection whatsoever to HIV.

What sort of mindless idiot fabricated a connection and took offense?

1. The words ‘I’m positive’ and ‘virus’ don’t sort of make you think a tiny bit of HIV?

1. I agree with Mike, I can see how people could have made the connection too, and been offended by it. If Christina McKelvie had simply apologised and said no offence was meant, it would probably have been the end of the matter. But she continues to insist it’s not offensive and instead tries to shift blame to Johann Lamont, which just makes matters worse. (And I’m not defending Johann Lamont, either btw, but this story is about Christina McKelvie.)

Christina McKelvie also insists her comments on Twitter weren’t offensive while repeatedly saying Johann Lamont’s comments were offensive. She can’t have it both ways – if Lamont’s comments about nationalism being a virus were offensive, then so were McKelvie’s comments about being positive.

As for Out for Independence, in my experience, they’ll simply go all out to defend the SNP and ignore any genuine criticism of the SNP on gay issues and ignore any accusation of homophobia towards the SNP or any individual in the SNP.

1. I see the Out for Independence cybernats are out in force this evening!

1. It kind of proves what I said in my first comment!

2. I actually thing that its pretty sad the we appear to thing that we have ownership of the word ‘virus’ or the phrase ‘I’m positive’ because we use it in connection with HIV.

What about Hep C, gay men in London are dropping like flies with Hep C – I assume other major (incl Scottish) cities are the same – why aren’t we connecting her comments with Hep C?

In fact there are umpteen other viruses it could apply to.

Some people clearly have a great deal of time on their hands ….

1. You make a good point, but it doesn’t change the fact that it is closely associated with HIV – rightly or wrongly. I can understand why some people would take offense at the comments made by both politicians.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 26 Sep 2013, 12:09am

Bennie – only to a subset of the population though – those with HIV and some gay people maybe, but the burning issue at the moment in Scotland is independence, so I would guess that most people would associate the meaning of the comments to be relating to that

3. The burning issue in Scotland is independence? Only to the SNP. Most ordinary people in Scotland are fed up of hearing about it after 2 years since the 2011 election – and there’s still a year to go. It’s in the newspapers and on the Scottish tv news every single day.

Don’t get me wrong, I may be no fan of the SNP, but I’m not dead against independence. I’m still not sure how I’ll vote but I think Salmond’s decision to leave it so long after his party’s election win could have been his Gordon Brown moment. Remember when Brown bottled holding an election a few months after he’d become PM?

I think the SNP should have held it within 12 months of their election win in 2011. They’d have had a good chance of winning and the matter would have been resolved by now.

4. Sister MC, your point about it only being seen a certain way by a subset of the population, yes it’s probably true most people didn’t make a connection with the comments and HIV. But some did, and found it offensive. Just because you or I don’t think something is offensive doesn’t mean other people won’t.

I find all the arguments against equal marriage offensive, but lots of people don’t. So am I just getting worked up over nothing? I also remember frequently being told that as LGBT people are a minority (or subset) of the population, we didn’t need marriage equality. As soon as you start using that argument, your credibility starts to slip.

For me, the real point in this case is that some people were offended by her comments, but instead of saying she meant no offense and apologising, she just made excuses and tried to shift the fault onto another politician, saying rather childishly that “she said it first” – that for me was more of a problem than the original comments.

2. That There Other David 25 Sep 2013, 11:45am

“However, Ms McKelvie’s language attracted criticism from some on Twitter who felt it risked offending people who actually live with a virus – namely the UK’s most stigmatised virus: HIV.”

Yawn. Of course none of the “offended people” would have any affiliation to the Scottish Labour Party, nor would they possibly know anyone that has.

Transparent.

1. theotherone 25 Sep 2013, 11:52am

i had a look at one of the people who responded and they published pro independence stuff so on, you’re wrong

1. Sister Mary Clarence 25 Sep 2013, 11:56am

And the rest?

1. theotherone 25 Sep 2013, 12:03pm

well one’s a tv presenter and professor, i see no links to labour, i can check the other person mentioned in this article too but what i doubt is that it’s a labour party campaign.

this is the background to this sensitivity: heraldscotland.com/ books-poetry/interviews/glasgow-now-has-the-same-hiv-infection-rates-as-new-york-in- 1984-x.20820822

3. Are these people morons?? Ms McKelvie should ignore and delete the adverse remarks – I’m HIV positive and see no relation between HIV and the tweet Ms McKelvie makes….

1. Yes, for the most part I suspect they probably are.

Morons with too much time on their hands.

The sit in front of the TV reading newspapers day and night looking for stuff to be offended about.

You see them sometimes in the supermarket, running round in a nightie with sh1t in their hair.

4. theotherone 25 Sep 2013, 11:56am

thing is i made the same remark.

given she works in Edinburgh where aids and hiv are fairly prevalent to say the least…

i tested the tweet out on my partner and friends and they made the same connection too

1. theotherone 25 Sep 2013, 12:48pm

sorry i mean i made the same connection…

5. Jock S. Trap 25 Sep 2013, 11:58am

Er…. I don’t see the problem with it. It’s clearly a reference to nationalism not HIV. That was only provided by someone with a serious need for a sense of humour bypass.

Someone making this into something it isn’t. It does us no favours.

1. theotherone 25 Sep 2013, 12:10pm

perhaps something is lost in the translation between scotland and england.

hiv is a big issue here with some of the large cities having near epidemic levels of infection and football chants mocking teams from these cities for being ‘hiv positive’

it’s also worth pointing out that the same party had a health minister in place who tried to launch an enquiry into the waste of public money (as they saw it) spent on medical interventions for trans* people

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Sep 2013, 2:26pm

HIV is a big issue in London too plus I live with HIV.

I still don’t see the connection until of course someone makes it a somewhat irrelevant non-connection issue. Some will/can make issue out of nothing. Just as this is.

Rather than her comments hindering progress with the HIV community it is actually the accusers that are doing the damage.

2. I suspect Nationalism in a far bigger issue.

6. Wow people are soft these days arent they?!
    If you were offended by this you are an idiot. (Im sure the same people will find this comment offensive).

7. theotherone 25 Sep 2013, 12:15pm

this was a stupid thing to say and she should have deleted the tweet and apologised – simple.

8. We might as well take offence when things are said to go viral, like this tweet.

9. No nationalist made the link between McKelvie’s tweet and HIV, it was unionist tweeters who did that.

If they’re going to make a tenuous connection for McKelvie to one virus among millions, why did they not make it for who made the comment in the first place? (Johann Lamont in her speech to Labconf.)

Its because this is a nonsense manufactured by unionists to smear nationalist debate and cover for a exceedingly poor Scottish Labour leader.

1. theotherone 25 Sep 2013, 2:54pm

i found his comments questionable but her are questionable in another way and please – less of the ‘unionist/ nationalist’ thing

10. even if it is related to hiv……. grow a spine??? it’s not even offensive

11. ‘You do not have a right not to be offended’
    I can’t remember who said it but it rings pretty true.
    A lot of people these days are far too soft.
    Pinknews should know better than to have anything to do with this.

1. I didn’t take offense, but then again it’s easy to say “lighten up” when you’re not the one on the receiving end of the punch line lol

12. If Nationalism is a virus, then why does Johann Lamont bleat on about her love of the U.K. so much and desire to remain within its clasp? She must have a ‘virus’ herself. At least the SNP admits they are Nationalists but what of the Better Together campaigners? Surely only those who are anti-state of any kind can claim to be non-nationalists. And if you support the UK, then soz dudes that makes you a British Nationalist. Can’t see this filtering into simple Unionist minds though.

In the context personally I think whomever took offence either just read the one comment out of its context or has it in for Christine McKelvie.

And I have the Yes virus also. Bite me b****es