Iain Dale to be questioned by police over alleged assault on nuclear protester

1. Throwing an elderly man to the ground. What a thug Dale is!

1. You talk nonsense!

2. no that was all a great distraction, it was a bit of the elderly’s the puppy dog he was so looking so lascivious at!

2. “Alleged assault”????
    Did you not watch the video?

3. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Sep 2013, 7:48pm

First of all, Dale should never have put his hands on the protestor.

Secondly, so why didn’t he name those anti equal marriage MPs who voted against the bill assuming they did do just that?

4. The notion of wrestling a smaller, older person to the ground, just because they oppose all things nuclear makes me feel ill. What an idiot Dale is.

5. Helen Wilson 24 Sep 2013, 8:05pm

I hope Dale is suitably dealt with by the law…His thuggish behavior is in keeping with his client McBride. Hope they both (Dale & McBride) end up behind bars.

1. Don’t be wet!

6. Storm in a tea cup!

7. That There Other David 24 Sep 2013, 8:58pm

Who the hell is Iain Dale to decide what should or should not be in shot when Daybreak are filming?

If anyone did that for a shoot I was involved with I’d call the police on them myself. Totally uncalled for.

8. ‘Out of my way, peasant!’ Lol what a dick. If you don’t want people in your shot, film it in a studio.

9. Chris Ward 24 Sep 2013, 9:10pm

He said on his blog: “Everyone has an inalienable right to protest, but no one has a right to make a continual nuisance of themselves and interrupt interviews like that.”

You have the right to protest, so long as your protest isn’t causing a nuisance to me. I think Dale needs a couple of lessons in democracy.

10. Dale is a complete idiot. Not only has he assaulted an elderly gent half his size for no good reason, he has gone on to admit the assault in his own statement. Considering he works for LBC the lock em up and throw away the key station we can expect two things, arrest and the sack.

11. thelostdot 24 Sep 2013, 9:36pm

“I did what any self respecting publisher would do, got out of the car, ran across, got him in an armlock and pulled him out of the shot.” This man has a serious problem with not understanding the law, criminality or rights. Is the guy a bit thick by any chance? Disgusting behaviour, he does not own the pavement, the protestor was in the right OBVIOUSLY!

12. Surely LBC should sack this dick now! Disgraceful! Who the feck does he think he is?!

13. I hate those anti nuclear protesters. They are scum! Those and the enviromental and animal rights lunatics!

14. friday jones 24 Sep 2013, 11:40pm

And the interview was about “Power Trip,” what a coincidence.

15. Oh I’m sorry but that was just freakin’ hilarious!

What?! Just… what.

16. Mihangel apYrs 25 Sep 2013, 7:27am

the arrogance of the media!!! A public space, where THEY were probably taking up a lot of room, and this dick physically atttacks someone just because they’re in shot.

They neeed putting in their place, and this moron ought to have a custodial sentence

17. Common decency and respect by both parties would be best. The protester should have been respectful of the interview and maintained a respectful distance; but, it was unnecessary for Dale to wrestle the guy to the ground – call the police.

18. GulliverUK 25 Sep 2013, 9:02am

I think star performance goes to the dog, neither protester (and I agree, absolutely, NO NUKES) or Mr Dale can feel they had a right to do what they did. At a time when politicians seem to be beginning to wake up to not replacing Trident, finally, it would be best to organise a large march in London, but Dale must learn to control his need to take immediate and direct action. I’m more interested in whether Dale agrees with the poster, tbh, it was a minor pushing and shoving, over in moments, but not excusable. They both ended up on the ground.

The solution would seem to be that Dale should have to have that guy on his show, for a lengthy discussion about nuclear weapons (a half-hour at least), and to publish an article on his web site from the man, to put forward his views on nukes. Much more valuable that some very small (if he even won) fine. So come on Dale, do the right thing, apologise on air, and let’s have a discussion about Nukes.

19. Michael 2912 25 Sep 2013, 9:07am

If this horrible man is prepared to behave like this in broad daylight I can’t imagine what he’d do unseen. Maybe he’d even stoop so low as to publish nasty book written by nasty people about nasty people in the hope that he’d cause trouble and make lots of money in the process. What he did, and admitted with obvious pride to doing, was to assault someone. That is not trivial. At the very least the police should investigate properly and begin that process by arresting him. There is not one law for media folks and another for the rest of us. They cannot treat the public highway as a film set or the public as dispensable extras.

20. Colin (London) 25 Sep 2013, 10:44am

I’m more upset that McBride is not in jail for what his games. A disgusting human being that I hope all parents explain to their children that his type of behaviour and ethics are all that destroys communities.

And worse publishers and of course the daily crapper who serialised it. These type of people are the scum of Britain.

To me from the video Dale rightly shoved an old nutter out of the way who thought it was ok to destroy his interview. I would have done the same..

Move on.

1. The problem is that a) it was assault and b) we don’t really have any context, by which I mean just how was the protester interfering with the interview? Was he talking / shouting over the conversation, was he trying to get in the way of the shot? Presenters have to deal with these types of situation occasionally but only a few have ever involved themselves directly.

I can’t say I like your characterisation of the protester as an “old nutter” though :(

“Mr Holmes has been protesting outside party conference venues for the last 30 years and thought the media had been gathering to interview Ed Miliband.”

“I was not ruining the interview. I was just in the background. I was not saying anything,” he insisted after being quizzed by Sussex Police.

(from Sky)

He said he’s unlikely to take legal action. “Nobody got injured – well, he might have a few bruises,” he added. I think he’s taking it very well. He also has every right to protest where he was.

1. See, this annoys me. Even if the man was shouting, no one has the right to act like this against him.
        I don’t care how inconvenient it is for a film crew, hundreds of thousands of outdoor shots are filmed every year without incident, it’s not as though a plague of protesters arrives every single time a camera is set up outside.

That man had every right to be there, and he has just as much right to scream in protest as they had to film on that pavement.

Neither party has a right to dictate to the other what they can or cannot do there, and Iain is coming across as one of the most arrogant and despicable individuals for claiming that he has that right when ‘inconvenienced’ by the ‘plebs’ of ‘common society’.

2. Colin (London) 25 Sep 2013, 12:15pm

Your are correct I should not have called him names. Thank you for picking me up on that.

Personally I don’t agree with people destroying others interviews even for good causes.

1. Its a PUBLIC space. if they are that troubled by interference then go film on private land. if they are unhappy they can take the protestor to court NOT beat him up. Honestly, what has happened to values in this country?

2. No one destroyed anything.
          If someone wants an interview without being interrupted, have that interview in a closed space where interruption is not likely.

This is common sense. You don’t do these things where there is the chance of being interrupted, and when that does happen you should suck it up and add it to your wealth of experience.

Are these people really so idiotic they don’t understand that a public street is a risky place to conduct an interview without being interrupted at all? Surely these people had some form of basic education?

However you look at it, the gentleman has MORE of a right to protest on that street than they have a right to claim it as their own for an interview. The democratic right to protest is far greater than their right to film an interview that could have been filmed anywhere.

The fact that Iain doesn’t even understand what he did wrong, and even suggests that he has a right to treat people the way he did, is more of a story here.

21. Paul Clevett 25 Sep 2013, 11:33am

Yes I’m not sure actually he had any RIGHT to intervene, the elderly man did not in my humble opinion constitute a breach of the peace and thus tackling him was not applicable. Looks like an assault to me – sadly I really like LBC.

22. What an embarrassing and offensive little man!

As if seeing this wasn’t bad enough, his explanation and excuses for it make him sound as though he’s a right-wing toff, dismissing others and their legal right to protest as an “inconvenience”.

If you read all of his response to this after the fact he comes across as a privileged, arrogant pr*ck, suggesting that he has a right to shove people out of the way when they dare to inconvenience him.

23. Patrick Mc Crossan 25 Sep 2013, 4:55pm

Gay or not Dale assualted this man and the mans injuries from his dog biting his bum was directly as a consequence of Dale assaulting his owner.

Dale needs to understand as much as you might not like it this protestor was in a public place and was entitled to protest.
    This man gets everywhere spoling interviews but I would have thought a method within the law to exclude him from getting into the precious shot could have been deployed.
    Dale your a guilty man and must face the consequences.

24. What a useless dog.

1. That There Other David 26 Sep 2013, 10:45am

What would you rather? If the dog had bitten Dale he’d probably demand that it be put down. This way the animal gets to live and blame remains on the thug that’s stupid enough to commit an assault on camera because he doesn’t get his own way.