Taiwan: Religious groups fear same-sex marriages could lead to ‘adultery and incest’

1. Same old rubbish, different country this time.

1. casparthegood 22 Sep 2013, 7:01pm

Does anyone know the who, why and where this rubbish started from? – ‘Idiot zero’ if you like ? I keep seeing it trotted out like an article of faith but never with any supporting evidence to back it up.

2. Every time SSM is proposed somewhere, this tripe is dragged out again and again…

“Once same-sex marriage is legalised, there will be more and more homosexual people.”
    No, there will be exactly the same number of homosexual people as before; perhaps there will be more people “comfortable” enough to admit to themselves that they’re homosexual.

There isn’t a DIP switch in the back of your skull marked “straight” & “gay” that you can flip as you wish, when will these people realise that simple fact.

1. I agree. It’s like some silly animated comedy scene. “Gay people can get married now? Sign me up! I want to be gay too. Mixed sex marriage is sooo last year!”

3. Hey Taiwan religious groups – 1990 wants their “Lame Excuses” book back.

4. Sigh. You don’t become homosexual BECAUSE you can get married to a partner of the same sex. But you might want to get married BECAUSE YOU HAVE A PARTNER YOU LIVE WITH. If nothing else, that makes more people happy (the crazy Christians don’t have to get married to someone of the same gender, if they don’t want to!). So all in all, the only people same sex marriage makes miserable are the ones that wouldn’t enter into such marriage anyways. Seems to me that they are saying that keeping a minority UNHAPPY makes them happy and that spitefulness is more important. I do realize that second to your own happiness is other people’s misery ;-> but come on now.

5. I mean if you would turn gay because gay people could get married makes no sense. Straight people can already get married so go have one of those marriages if you like. Straight people can marry other opposite gendered straight people and gay people can marry similar gendered people. Everyone can be happy in their own marriage. Win win and bob’s your uncle!

6. MarKo Hubert 22 Sep 2013, 12:43pm

Haven’t we heard that kind of stupidity lately in Europe and North America? Those morons are short of ideas with their short sight.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Sep 2013, 1:03pm

That same old boring adultery, incest mantra. I wonder who they think has been causing hetero adultery and divorce for decades? I challenge them to provide irrefutable evidence that SSM has led to either. It does make one wonder though why incest is always on their minds doesn’t it?

8. Interesting how religious ignorance can transcend cultures so easily; why is it only the religious folk who bring up incest and beastiality? Seems they have it on their minds quite often…

9. I really have big hopes when it comes to legalizing SSM in non-Western countries…In the case of Taiwan I think it could have a huge impact on China and and other Eastern Asian countries, at least in terms of sparkling a debate about it. After all, Taiwanese people aren’t that religious, just like most of the nations in that area. Fingers crossed!!

10. That There Other David 22 Sep 2013, 2:47pm

Why don’t they put their minds at rest and call up their friends in Europe, the Americas, or any of the other places that have equal marriage and ask them if it’s led to “adultery and incest”? Are they scared that the response would be a resounding No it hasn’t?

11. I suppose these superstition bigots Believe Heteros don’t engage in either –

Hyercritical religious morons!

12. Religious nutters will be running the same old excuses when Saudi Arabia legalizes gay marriage in 200 years time.

1. casparthegood 22 Sep 2013, 6:49pm

“200 years may be a tad optimistic mind you

13. Same tired, debunked argument, time and again. They must realize how absurd they are.
    Okay, how about this. Since they like slippery slope arguments so much.
    ‘Straight marriage will lead to gay marriage! We must stop straight people marrying!’

14. Wait a minute…”World Peace and Unification?” I spy with my little eye something beginning with M…Moonies! Oh, this could be fun. I wonder if the Taiwanese fundies will develop ‘inclusive’ attitudes toward their less-than-orthodox co-belligerents…???

15. I fear that religious groups may lead to homophobia and stupidity.

16. Religious groups fear losing power and money.

17. Just another self hating closet case saying, if I can’t have a guy no one should. Nothing to see here.

18. friday jones 23 Sep 2013, 11:14am

It’s sort of like receiving a dire warning of societal consequences from the Underpants Gnomes:
    1 – Legalize Same-Sex Marriage
    2 – ???
    3 – The End of Morality and Heterosexuality and Monogamy

Hey, Chang and Chen, you get a grade of zero unless you SHOW YOUR WORK.

19. friday jones 23 Sep 2013, 11:22am

OMFG, I just realized that a leader in the Church of the MOONIES is trying to lecture us on preserving the sanctity of marriage. You know, the Moonies, the people who puts on mass wedding ceremonies between absolute strangers for political purposes:

20. Paul Clevett 23 Sep 2013, 11:43am

Religious groups fear same-sex marriages could lead to ‘adultery and incest’ Could be read as
    Religious groups could lead to ‘adultery and incest’

21. James Campbell 13 Nov 2013, 12:21am

I must have led a sheltered life as I assumed that the straight population had already cornered the market in adultery and incest ……..

22. Well, I thought straight people can be promiscuous too…