Northern Ireland: Petition calls on Health Minister to be sacked over anti-gay views

1. What a fulfilling home life he must have to spend some much time and money trying to dictate other people’s lives

2. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Sep 2013, 1:40pm

I won’t hold my breath on this one with the DUP Assembly stacked with bigots and religious nutters.

3. That There Other David 17 Sep 2013, 1:46pm

Northern Ireland is so backwards it constantly makes a beeping noise.

4. Colin (London) 17 Sep 2013, 1:49pm

Great some action…..Signed. Get this nutter out of politics for good.

1. Yes, me too. This is so obviously a cranky prejudiced belief based objection to equal adoption rights, it should never have been allowed to go to the Supreme Court

5. It baffles me how people with clearly biased and irrational views can be elected to represent the public, having him as Health Minister is so bizarre it’s unreal.

How can any sane public trust such a bigoted fool with something so important?

It just defies belief.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Sep 2013, 2:07pm

I’m not so sure if the NI electorate are that sane if they can elect someone like this. The DUP religious nutters have had a stranglehold on NI politics for decades and it doesn’t seem as if it’s going to change any time soon, sadly. Every one of them who sat in Parliament during the marriage bill debate voted against it at every stage. That tells you what we’re dealing with.

1. I can assure you that the people of northren Ireland uk are very sane I live there and I’m gay most people here do not vote because we have very little choice we have the dup the largest party and bigots then you have the terrorist party that is shin fein(I R A) who also want to take away anything British in Northren Ireland and have us join the republic most people here don’t want that now the other party’s are to small to make any real hope of change alliance or sdlp so most of us don’t vote those that do are mainly the bigots that vote dup or uup or those who support shin fein

1. That There Other David 17 Sep 2013, 3:07pm

Well, carrying on with that failed strategy and expecting change isn’t exactly a sane combination. Maybe if enough of you voted for a “small” party you’d be able to garner some influence and perhaps move NI towards issues-based politics instead of this endless Them vs. Us sectarian cycle it’s stuck in. However, by removing your vote entirely from the field you’ve become part of the status quo.

Meaning Poots and his ridiculous Creationist BS being in a position of power is partly your fault. Well done you, eh?

2. Well you do accept Brian that you are not British and that unless you start voting for parties other than the extremist DUP then perhaps NI would be better off with thw Republic. At least that way those DUP bigots would have no choice but to accept the will of the majority in NI and support equality.

1. Pretending that an inhabitant of NI who identifies as British is not British helps no-one. This is not about NI identity, which is both British and Irish – it is about blatant homophobia in one of the governing parties. A choice between homophobes and terrorists should I agree push one in the direction of the smaller parties. But even Alliance are a bit dodgy on LGBT rights.

2. I class myself as British-Irish my passport says British not that it matters and as for NI being better of in the republic that I disagree with mainly for the republics records on gay rights tho i do admit it has got better the past few years as before it was below that of NI one more reason why Ni would not be better off in the Republic is due to the Republic is in debt both to the uk and to the EU how ever i would like to see more joint run projects north and south to boost the whole of Ireland’s enmoinic growth now the Best way to get rid of the bigots would be for NI to go back to being under direct rule from Westminster with us having some mp sitting there it was under direct rule that most of are equal rights came into effect in N.I and yes maybe people like me non voters are partly to blame for the two party strangle hold on Northern Ireland and I will even give shin fein praise for helping bring two equal marriage bills before the Northern Ireland Assembly the rest not yet

3. Sign Fein would at least fight for your rights, regardless of them sitting in Storment, Westminster or the Dail. All this SF then brackets IRA stuff is just rediculous at this point, apart from the UI part maybe you should read their policies, they are inclusive, open minded and forward thinking.

2. That There Other David 17 Sep 2013, 2:19pm

The rise of the DUP is relatively recent. 15 years ago the UUP were the dominant party in Northern Ireland. However, apparently the Good Friday Agreement and Peace Process was too much for the die-hard grudgeholders that make up the Unionist communities in the Six Counties to stomach, and allegiances shifted to this bunch of corrupt backhander-taking hypocritical wife-beaters.

6. Jock S. Trap 17 Sep 2013, 2:04pm

The man is an idiot and surely serves no place or purpose in a decent society.

Time to stop him wasting taxpayer’s money that they will no doubt will blame on cuts and do the decent thing but allow people to love and adopt.

7. How can we sign this petition?? any one know????

1. Click on the online petition link in the article in the first few lines

1. TX. done!
        still more needed.

8. Derek Williams 17 Sep 2013, 2:41pm

He’s clearly not going to let empirical evidence get in the way of his prejudice.

9. I’m at a loss to understand HOW this WA-KER has managed to access public UK funds for a personal vendetta against LGBT people???

10. I’m sorry, but “Mr Poots is a young earth creationist and rejects the theory of evolution” … REALLY? I mean FU**ING REALLY?

Don’t the Irish put crazy people in insane asylums? Why no! The Irish prefer to elect them to government!

The man should be in hospital, under psychiatric care, not in government make policy.

1. That There Other David 17 Sep 2013, 3:09pm

LOL. He’s DUP. He’d rather read The Origin of Species than let you call him Irish.

1. I’m sorry if I misused the word “Irish”… I’m not sure how one refers to someone who comes from a place called “Northern Ireland”. Excuse me if I committed a faux pas.
        (really, I’m not being sarcastic)

(ok, well, I was being a bit sarcastic about the mental hospital thing.. but not about apologizing if I misused the name “Irish”)

1. That There Other David 17 Sep 2013, 5:37pm

You didn’t misuse it. He is Irish. He’ll just never admit it. The DUP don’t believe you can be both Irish and British at the same time, so if you call them Irish that literally spit back at you how British they are. Just one of the many bits of anger-filled craziness that these people exhibit on a daily basis.

11. This tosspot should be made to pay the money back from his OWN funds. When are these imbeciles going to stop allowing themselves to be so influenced by the insane rantings of an old novel, written by men with an agenda? IT’S ALL FAIRY STORIES, you pathetic moron! So, you live your life believing what the hell you want … but kindly allow the vast majority of us in the civilised world to get on with life in the 21st Century

12. Reading the comments above it is evident that many contributors think every Northern Ireland politician is a crazy bigot like Poots …. Now if all politicians in England, Scotland and Wales were paragons of sweet reason I could understand your viewpoints – but, alas, I well remember plenty of Tory, Lib Dem and Labour crazy bigots, just like Poots, during the Parliamentary debates on Marriage Equality. Perhaps before applying blanket condemnations on Northern Ireland and N.Ireland politicians, you could consider your own situations and representatives!!

That said, the sooner Poots and his ilk are booted out of politics, the better!!!

1. That There Other David 17 Sep 2013, 5:31pm

Not every NI politician, just the DUP ones. Sadly though they are the largest party. The NI electorate needs a damn good kick up the backside IMO. What twisted logic goes through someone’s head in order to decide that this bunch of corrupt as hell moneygrabbing pseudo-Christian charlatans are the best choice to put your X against?

13. George Broadhead 17 Sep 2013, 6:30pm

Ever since Ian Paisley thundered ” Save Ulster From Sodomy” years ago, the province has remained homophobic. Hardly surprising given that the population is largely either Catholic or Presbyterian.

14. I also believe that Poots should be sacked, he pretends to have strong convictions on these issues but uses public money but to back his personal agenda but seemingly is not convicted enough to use the huge amount of money he receives as an MLA. He supports the Crown alright, the Halfcrown or any other form of money that has a Crown on it.

1. As of right now, 7,312 signers say Poots should go.

15. ..he really ought get sacked because of his downright ugliness and his stupid enormous ears!! I believe the reason this has to be said is when you consider the unfair attitudes people have towards GAYS why not remark equally in return…?