‘The Man Who Couldn’t Catch HIV’ dies of suicide at 66

1. That There Other David 16 Sep 2013, 1:07pm

Oh, that’s really sad. Must have been awful getting into your senior years and being the only one left from your peer group, especially having seen them drop in turn from such a hateful illness.

RIP

1. Dan Filson 16 Sep 2013, 7:05pm

But that’s happening to many who were in their prime in the early 1980s and are now 30 years older and counting how many friends they lost in that first decade and how little remains save memories.

And now we have a whole new generation who seem to embrace barebacking with little regard to risk and a general population who cannot grasp that HIV is not just or any longer simply a gay disease. Youth believes itself eternal and immune to risks, and that disease can always be conquered by the latest drugs. O folly.

2. What a wonderfully loving man that the loss of friends was so heavy a burden. How loving and warm he must surely have been. May he rest in peace in the company and renewed love of his Friends. R.I.P. Stephen Crohn. Thank You.

3. I admire his work in leading to a better understanding of HIV, from which I have undoubtedly benefited. I understand his survivor guilt – too many of us who went through the eighties and nineties still experience it. I wish things had turned out differently for him, but he knew when he’d had enough. Bright Blessings…

1. Therein lies the comfort – that he knew when he’d had enough.

4. john lyttle 16 Sep 2013, 4:48pm

If you believe in that sort of thing, let’s hope he’s with his partner and friends again and finally happy.

5. I’ve been HIV+ 27 years. My husband, 28 years. We’ve both struggled with survivors’ guilt.

So many of my acquaintances died from AIDS that, by the mid 90’s that I stopped counting and stopped attending funerals. The love of my life – my soul mate – died in 1994.

I had prime seating as I watched ~Christians~ & ~loving~ family do all they could to punish people dying from AIDS, and the US Government and President Ronald Reagan ignore the crisis.

Anyone else remember the ~good~ Christian who sabotaged the AIDS research at the CDC in the late 80’s? or when the IRS began taxing only those who received early-payouts of life insurance because they would die of AIDS within 6 months?.

All while still being treated as second class citizens.

No one born after 1994 can know what this has been like.

1. I am so sorry for the pain you have suffered and still suffer and I too realise how little the young of today know of what the very recent past was like over HIV/AIDS. I friend of mine with AIDS who died in the mid-90s stayed with me once and even supposedly ‘liberal and accepting’ friends asked how I dared to let him use my crockery. I had friends in London who cleared out the houses of friends who had died of AIDS because council workers refused to go in. The public hatred and irrationality was appalling. But really, I personally saw very little of the suffering of those times, and also was awed by the courage and cheerfulness of people I knew who had AIDS. Thank you for your bravery and for hanging on.

6. Hugh Mulhall 16 Sep 2013, 7:16pm

Such a sad way to have lost your life – you were a walking miracle – rest in peace

7. Very sad to hear this. Sometimes grief can take hold of a person long after they have suffered loss and it then becomes too much.

8. He felt alone… How sad.

9. Thank you for everything you have done for us, and it’s people like you who remind me what I’m fighting for, and we will be sure your death was not in vain :)

10. I turn 70, next year, and I remember all my friends that I “grew up” with, in San Francisco, during the Hippy and Disco eras and how, after moving to Chicago, I’d receive a phone call every few weeks, telling me of another of my gang dying of AIDS. I’d cry for hours afterward, remembering each one of them, until the calls finally stopped coming and I realized that they were all gone.

I decided that rather than be keeper of the crypt, I’d live each day as a testament to all of them. Yes, I have my moments when I miss them all terribly but I get to share the good times with some of the younger generation and I can feel those departed friends smiling at me as I recall the fun we all had.

11. How terribly sad. When I read the headline I just couldn’t understand why he did this. But now I can. Poor man must have been going through he’ll.

The very deepest of sympathy for his family and friends.

12. How desperately sad to lose all your friends and feel you can’t go on. My deepest sympathies to all his family and loved ones.

13. Benjy & Scott 18 Sep 2013, 11:50am

What do charity funded mag positive nation gay staff mean it was full of ‘secrets n lies’ and ‘one day sordid truth about london aids charity sector will come out ? ;-(

14. Friends all Dead 18 Sep 2013, 12:18pm

Everytime i read about the london aids charity scandals n cover ups i get so depressed i feel like toppin myself this isnt why people died ?

15. Its amazing how they call a man extraordinary when he proved himself to be a very big coward by killing himself. What a selfish man. Obviously didn’t give a shit about the children in this world.

16. Lion in Winter 24 Sep 2013, 2:04am

I hope they took some blood and tissue samples – this guy should be cloned. Stem cell research on his samples would be invaluable.

17. very little is understood about ‘survivor guilt’, but it is there and many, many of us live with it every day

we look at the photos of our loved ones and wonder ‘what if?’