Canada: Waitress ‘humiliated’ gay couple in restaurant by telling them they cannot sit together

1. ‘On whether he was anti-gay he added: “I’d never say anything, it’s not my business. I don’t have a problem with anybody.”’

I’ll take that as a “yes” then!

2. That There Other David 16 Sep 2013, 5:30pm

All it takes is for a straight couple to go into the restaurant, show a bit of PDA, and see what the reaction is. If they get slapped down and told to take it to the privacy of their own home, then not homophobia. If they don’t, then homophobia.

Mind you, I fail to see why the staff at this restaurant would care what happens away from the restaurant itself. Taking it out of their premises and having to take it to the “privacy of their own home” is kind of overstepping the boundaries of their authority.

3. Shame. I guess even in Canada, you still find the odd bigot.
    Good on the couple for spreading this news. Hopefully their business will go the same way the homophobic bakery did in the US, and be destroyed from the lack of interest from customers. People should know who they’re buying from. Even if they’re not gay themselves. I wouldn’t want to be served my food from a racist, any more so than an homophobe. Who knows what they might have done with the food.

1. “Shame. I guess even in Canada, you still find the odd bigot.”

I have thought about this increase in homophobia, and I believe that while we’re seeing an improvement in equality in society, this is riling-up some real militants. That’s why, I think, we’re seeing this “backlash” now in previously good places.

There’s been a lot happening recently, and I think it’s because the “religious” are seeing our equality as an “attack” on their power and dominance, so real extremists within their ranks are acting out.

I agree with you on the fate of this business too – I love how businesses claim they have a “right” to discriminate, and then they complain when their business fails as if it was an orchestrated attack on them, it’s not, it’s just a community deciding that they will not support that.

These businesses only have themselves to blame for their demise.

4. And the moral (so to speak) of this story is: if you’re complaining or requesting an apology from a business, do it in writing – then neither side can deny how the exchange went.

1. Liam Sauer-Wooden 16 Sep 2013, 11:08pm

Meh, they can still deny it, but you’ll have more material backup for yourself.

5. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Sep 2013, 6:32pm

More World News from PinkNews ! Please write about something more interesting. Trifles like this happen hundreds of times every day -in many countries.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Sep 2013, 9:31pm

I’m very honoured. Six until now.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Sep 2013, 9:48pm

New personal top. (-8 ) I beg for more- please !

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Sep 2013, 10:07pm

You sure make me happy ! Love you all. ( -10)

1. That There Other David 16 Sep 2013, 11:36pm

OK, it’s coming across as attention seeking now ;-)

2. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Sep 2013, 10:36pm

This calls for celebration. (-11 )

6. Stupid bitch. But I’m sure it’d happen in any town in the UK.

When do we get more UK stories? And why not write stories about countries that are homophobic – where it is illegal to be gay – instead of countries where it’s not that bad being gay, other than having to endure imbeciles like this Woman? Seems like copy and paste syndrome hasn’t gone away. Is pink news just a google search engine for previously published news reports?

1. If you don’t want to read about it – Don’t.
      It’s clear from the description, what, where and who it’s about.
      The rest of us still like to know what’s going on in places like Can, AUS, the US and so on. For numerous reasons, but it’s also good to compare it to other places like Kenya, Nigeria, Russia and Saudi. So we can see the degrees to which people are still being discriminated against, and so we can see what still needs work and where.
      Pink News covers many different types of stories ranging in their degrees of bigotry, and others, in their good causes.

7. If this actually happendd the way it is told here, then why didnt they say something thenm rather than wait a year??

ANd, yes, I am a gay man as well.

8. If they had their hands between each others legs and were snogging each others faces off then I can understand why the restaurant objected. Nothing worse that watching couples do this in public, making everyone around them feel awkward or embarrassed. Same rules for hetros. Just cringy!

1. yeah, well aside from the couple saying they were not doing that, Canadiana (the restaurant) certainly doesn’t the type of place you’d want to be ‘snogging’. Not exactly and ambiance there and the sticky floors makes it hard to move your chair to cuddle up….
      It’s just a lot of ignorance and intolerance on the owners behalf.

These guys have done amazing bring out the greatness in this community before this and in spite of it! Good on You Bram and Jamie!

And sadly I agree with Jase below. Rob Ford’s Toronto is a very scary place….

2. Yes but people object and feel awkward or embarrassed when a same sex couple behaves in the same affectionate yet inoffensive way that opposite sex couples do all the time. Accounts of inappropriate touching, denied by the couple, may very well have been imposed on the foggy, sensation-seeking memories of those who saw them if not simply invented by the restaurant staff to justify their actions.

9. Welcome to Rob Fords Toronto…things have changed.

Toronto is not the LGBT friendly place it once used to be. These things are happening more often.

10. Maybe they should take a tablecloth and cutlery to a McDonalds, call it a romantic meal and then be called fake by PN.

11. Helge Vladimir Tiller 17 Sep 2013, 7:45am

Some 19 persons gave me a negative “push”. Look above. You all fell “victim”.(This was a test ! ) Remember -I do think you are all wonderful people, and I’m very thankful to PlnkNews for what they write about, be it small incidents or major News. I love your comments, Brothers and Sisters from different countries, and I wish you all a great future. Whether you are gay , lesbian or transgender. I very well remember when my father almost beat me to death when I was a child ( 8 to ca. 12 years) because I cross-dressed. Life has been extremely hard. But I’m a strong gay person today-even though I have to fight with 3 diseases., partly inborn. I’m totally open about myself- that gives strength. And my activity is working for and supporting LGBT persons fleeing The Middle East. I beg you to apologize my silly ( ? ) test–and wish you all a brilliant autumn. ( English is not my mother-tongue–)
    Love you !

1. You should disregard the voting system, such systems are toxic for free speech

When you take voting to heart; you will say what you think everybody wants to hear instead of what you actually think and that’s not a good thing, just end up with a bunch of drones saying the same things

Just say what you really feel :)

2. Helge Vladimir Tiller 17 Sep 2013, 8:46pm

( -4 ) —Ingratitude is the world’s payroll.

12. Tell them they should come over to the UK and eat at Kingston’s Macdonalds.

13. It doesn’t matter to me if you are gay or straight, I don’t want to have to see you making out in public. EVERYBODY should keep the serious PDA’s confined to their own homes and bedrooms!

1. The difference is straight people do it all the time and at worst it’s considered rude, when gay people do it they get beat up or kicked out of places. I have witnessed straight people making out in public places countless times and never have I seem anything happen to them whatsoever.