Actor Isaiah Washington ‘lost everything’ after calling a gay castmate ‘faggot’

1. Officer Dribble 16 Sep 2013, 12:00pm

“No one told me not to drink for four hours without eating!”

Really?

No-one told me not to stick my hand into a food blender then turn it on.

Now my nickname is Stumpy.

1. My thoughts exactly – is he an adult?

2. Liam Sauer-Wooden 16 Sep 2013, 5:45pm

Given the vastness of ignorance today, I can’t tell if Mr. Washington is joking or being serious.

2. And the tiniest fiddle in all the world plays a sad slow lament…

And alcohol is no excuse (is he actually trying to assert no fault there?). After all, there is a saying “in vino veritas” – in wine there is truth. Alcohol just took of the veneer of social filtering and let us see what he really thinks.

3. But basically, this article is saying that he’s back working again. Just like Tracy Morgan and Alec Baldwin, who made similar comments.

1. True. But taking a close look at the details of the film he is in (having never heard of it) and seeing it’s fair to say it is very low budget, very probably scraping the barrel time for actors it could afford, and handling material that a lot of actors probably wouldn’t want to touch (the phrase “too soon” springs to mind). It’s not what you might call a triumphant return.

1. Locus Solus 16 Sep 2013, 12:38pm

“It’s not what you might call a triumphant return.”

2. Michael Anthony 16 Sep 2013, 4:45pm

The film, “Blue Caprice” actually has mostly excellent reviews here in the US. Several big name reviewers have given it their highest marks.

4. Serves you right then! Hope you have learnt a lesson, otherwise I’m not interested .

5. I did not see him apologise for his appalling behaviour.
    He is only interested in his sorry self.

I can’t say I feel for him.

6. “No one told me not to drink for four hours without eating! So you know, I was pretty much asleep at the wheel and I had a lot of anxiety.”
    Yes – alcohol has this amazing property for bringing out someone’s true feelings. Sounds like another self-hater to me ….

7. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever

8. Or, alternatively, “No one told me that if I drink on an empty stomach I might end up exposing myself as the homophobic bigot I am. Now all those mean people in Hollywood won’t employ me. Obviously, I’m the REAL victim in all of this.” I wonder how he would feel if a cast member had made a racist slur against him and been fired? I don’t know for user, but I have a the teeniest inkling that he would think they got what they deserved.

1. “don’t know for user” = “don’t know for sure”. Thanks predictive text, you aunt.

9. You know someone’s character is always questionable when they blame alcohol on things like killing someone or shouting racist/homophobic remarks. I can’t stand it when cowards blame alcohol for their actions.

Not enough alcohol in the world can turn you into a racist or a homophobe unless you were *gasp* already a racist or a homophobe

1. I agree completely.

2. agreed – in fact if anything excess alcohol has the ability to ‘loosen’ ones tongue to say things e all would usually keep to ourselves…

10. Alcohol merely reduces inhibitions and clouds your judgment, it doesn’t turn you into someone you’re not.

Therefore, a person who screams homophobic, racist, sexist or any other form of abuse at others when drunk has that in their personality already.

The only thing alcohol did to this man to influence his actions was to demolish the self-imposed filter of common sense he had to stop him from openly saying what he was thinking, lest it damage his career. And, oh look, it has!

No pity at all.

11. David Waite 16 Sep 2013, 1:40pm

Love it, love it, LOVE it: Both the story and all your beautiful comments. But I have pity -for Mr. Washington’s children. Unfortunately, they’ll have to live with the disapprobation of their peers for having a homophobic daddy. Washington is seemingly too dull-witted to realize that in an industry where half the personnel are gay/lesbian/transgender/bisexual his views are totally unacceptable. The crass stupidity of volunteering the information that his “contrition” was an ABC-demanded damage control stunt says it all. He will receive and he deserves no mercy from fellow actors and producers.

12. “unfortunately for me, I had my first endeavour (sic) there.” = I was the poor little victim.

“No one told me not to drink for four hours without eating!” = Not my fault (I’m so thick)”

“let go” = SACKED.

“Washington indicated much of his behaviour following the incident was demanded by ABC” = all those meetings with GLAAD was him lying and trying to save his homophobic arse.

“I became a better husband, a better father and a better artist.” = ‘cause I am STRAIGHT, get that?”

“Washington has since made a return to the spotlight in his new crime drama Blue Caprice” = PN publicity for the homophobe.

13. He was offensive and homophobic, and right thinking people reacted in much the same way no doubt had someone used a racially charged utterance of the “N-word” towards him. As an actor he more than most knows that words have power and in his position he failed. He is rebuilding what his words tore down. Good luck to him with that. This proves that there actually is such a thing as Bad publicity. Next time watch your mouth Mr. No more ‘F’-words.

14. And he’s still a liar! I don’t know how the incident made him a better husband and father when it exposed him as not being man enough, then or now, to be honest, make amends and suffer the consequences without bitching and playing victim.

15. Dana Taylor 16 Sep 2013, 3:05pm

My life has now been ruined by what I said. I am really sorry I said that…now.

1. Lesson learned!

16. michaelandfred 16 Sep 2013, 3:30pm

Boo hoo. Gues what? Actors lose their jobs every day and end up back waiting tables. I hate to break the news to you but the world doesn’t owe you an acting career. Being a desired public figure requires being desired by the public. If no one wants to see you act, then no one hires you. It’s pretty simple.

17. One Latin Dude 18 Sep 2013, 6:21am

…people forgot about the physical confrontation he and Patrick Demsey had ON SET. They had to be PULLED apart!