University of Lagos: Magnets prove homosexuality is unnatural

1. What? Just… the fuck. Ok, mix oil into water and stir as hard as you can. Over time oil separates from water. Water molecules stay with water molecules, oil with oil. Tadaaa, used chemistry to explain why same-sex relationships are natural! -.-

1. Bolutife Ogunsola 20 Sep 2013, 7:08pm

Please send your email, you deserve one Nobel Prize :D

2. Jason feather 15 Sep 2013, 11:17am

Hilarious, where’s his Nobel prize?

1. an ignobelprice for this merger of science and Sodom & Gomorrah

1. Puh-lease, this idiot will not an Ig Nobel Prize for his research, let alone the ‘real’ thing:

“Ig Nobel Prizes honour achievements that first make people laugh, and then make them think. The prizes are intended to celebrate the unusual, honour the imaginative — and spur people’s interest in science, medicine, and technology.”

2. I’m presently doing some research that shows that today because of a dearth of horses and carriages most marriages just don’t work out and tend to end in divorce.
        Whereas in the past when a couple rode off on a horse and carriage after the wedding their marriages were more likely to endure and there were practically n o divorces at all.
        Extrapolating the results of my research, horses and carriages appear to have a stabilising effect upon marriages.

3. Jason Feather 15 Sep 2013, 11:20am

I’m on the phone to the Nobel prize committee right now. I did a similar study showing that cheese & crackers should always be served together

1. My research has shown that the crackers should be buttered. I claim the Nobel prize.

1. gil rossini 15 Sep 2013, 2:32pm

NO! Never butter the cracker, that would be two dairy products together and that’s unnatural! One could even say, buttered crackers with cheese would be a homo snack!!

1. No, everyone knows the gay snack is cold quiche. /facepalm
          Jeeze, you want them to take away your practising homosexual license?

4. If this is the pinnacle of postgrad scientific research in Nigeria then their education system is in a very serious state of decline. (The last time I looked Sodom And Gomorrah were cities not nations.)

This could be dismissed as hilarious nonsense if weren’t so likely that the governments of Africa will no doubt cite this important research for their next crackdown on LGBT people.

He enjoys playing with magnets – like my Year 3 Science pupils did in the UK. Perhaps he should look at oxygen and hydrogen. Both gases exist naturally as O2 and H2 – two same sex atoms closely bonded in a passionate and stable embrace. Viola – I have proved the correctness of homosexual marriage after all. Phew!

And water reveals a bisexual threesome of course.

1. Just read through original article in ThisLife – jaw now on ground!

This is the African Mark Regnerus!

2. keith francis farrell 15 Sep 2013, 11:48am

maybe you qualified for a Nigerian Nobel prize, hehehehe,

3. “If this is the pinnacle of postgrad scientific research in Nigeria then their education system is in a very serious state of decline.”

In order to decline, some level of elevation must exist…. That some professor is encouraging this post grad study makes me question the level of elevation of this faculty at the University of Lagos.

4. If magnets “prove” two “alikes” don’t match, then he should also conclude that two humans are not supposed to be together either, and logically start promoting beastiality.

5. You are brilliant! I suggest you pen a rebuttal study … In the name of science of course!

6. Of course, I agree with you about the sad state of education that would encourage this level of crappy junk science. Whoever, It is necessary to point out your error. Sodom and Gomorrah COULD be called nations. They were as best tribal city-states. Each had there own “king” (history loves to call people kings when they were really nothing but tribal chieftains) and were completely independent peoples (mutually allied with other city-states in Canaan). You cannot criticize someone for using the “wrong” terminology for a political landscape that doesn’t resemble modern nations.

7. Yep, enjoyed your research and I always knew water had a very fluid sexuality!

5. Colin (London) 15 Sep 2013, 11:24am

Is this a joke…or is that Nigeria.

1. Apparently it says something about the University of Nigeria. Am i the only one whose jaw dropped to the ground. How does this happen in the 21st century?

1. Metsän poika 16 Sep 2013, 7:53am

Perhaps Nigeria hasn’t reached the 21st century yet.

2. Nigeria… home of online scams…

6. Just imagine if all these homophobes put their minds to doing something constructive, how much better the world would be.

1. By definition that would be an oxymoronic statement – “homophobes” and “constructive” are mutually exclusive terms…

But if you’d swap ‘constructive’ for ‘delusional’, I could go with that…

2. Nothing would happen. Homophobia is the product of stupidity. They are simply not capable of putting their minds to something else.

7. Mental note to file away: in future bin any CV from an applicant with a degree from Lagos university which are obviously not worth the paper they are printed on. Thanks Pink News for that gem!

1. Sacre bleu 16 Sep 2013, 7:58am

I wonder how much they charge for their degrees? Some so called Universities in the US might be worried about the competition.

2. Calm down guys, I finished from the school by the way and just like any rational being, I find his research insulting firstly to the words science and research. However, the sad truth is so many people build their existence around religion over here and are willing to accept anything no matter how patently ridiculous so long as it can be shaded with religion. Not in anyway helping the country I have to say. doesn’t mean I am pro-gay though but it’s frankly not my cup of tea. My point is every school has its fair share of idiots, would be totally wrong to judge the rest based on the idiots

8. Jock S. Trap 15 Sep 2013, 11:39am

Ding Ding!! Next stop Loonsville City Centre!

9. We ain’t magnets and gay men can attract other gay men same as lesbian women. Fine example of failed and flawed logic, and completely irrelevant to the truth. Who uses magnets is experiments like this? Oh wait Nigeria.

10. So …. on that basis, I presume they’ll be introducing apartheid?

1. Say nothing of the problem of inter-racial marriage!

11. Lyuba Marchenko 15 Sep 2013, 11:45am

Yes, now go suss out why Nigerian princes are always offering email money and shady deals. People aren’t magnets, you short-dicked moron!

12. keith francis farrell 15 Sep 2013, 11:45am

I think this just about sums the whole story up. they are making this guy look great at home, but stupid to the rest of the world. wonder if he realises this will follow him till the day he dies. Hope he never wants a good job anywhere else in the world.

1. Paul Essex/London 15 Sep 2013, 2:04pm

Was just about to put a comment saying exactly that.

13. Andrew Hinkinson 15 Sep 2013, 11:50am

Nigeria shows the world why it has the best reputation for academic rigour and excellence, with one of its universities (we call them pound shops over here) praising this student. Apparently the student is now emailing everyone in the world to tell us we can share in his good fortune because he’s got a huge educational trust fund of $1trillion dollars and all you have to do to get a share is wire him a lump sum of $10,000 dollars to pay for the donkey needed to carry the money out of the country and deposit it into your accounts after the necessary financial paperwork has been signed and a cat has been sacrificed to keep away the evil spirits of women who wear short skirts and are therefore obviously witches.

1. Calm down guys, I finished from the school by the way and just like any rational being, I find his research insulting firstly to the words science and research. However, the sad truth is so many people build their existence around religion over here and are willing to accept anything no matter how patently ridiculous so long as it can be shaded with religion. Not in anyway helping the country I have to say.doesn’t mean I am pro-gay though but it’s not my cup of tea. My point is every school has its fair share of idiots, would be totally wrong to judge the rest based on the idiots

14. Science by flawed analogy, unless he’s studying sexual attraction between magnets.

And I thought the Insane Clown posse’s notorious song lyric “F**king magnets, how do they work?” was the last word on magnet based ignorance.

Spoofed here

This guy makes them both look like Stephen Hawking.

15. I now know where to study if I want a meaningless degree…

1. Probably would take a whole weekend to get it, though. Are you prepared?

16. And all objects are attracted to each other due to gravity, so in that case, I guess science proves that being Straight, Gay or Bi is perfectly normal due to science.

17. I believe a study showing the reverse using the card game snap or even memory would prove that similars attract. The beauty of this experiment involves queens, something his experiment totally neglected. I think this inclusion would entitle me to a scholarship too.

18. anti-fascist 15 Sep 2013, 12:04pm

I feel sorry for Nigeria ! Correction : I feel sorry for those in Nigeria who are humanist and compassionate. Screw the bigots !

19. Christopher Kay 15 Sep 2013, 12:04pm

A Nobel Prize? He deserves a f*cking crocoduck award

20. Perhaps this future Nobel laureate overlooked a few relevant factors: foremost that whether something is natural or unnatural is irrelevant to its moral status.

As we all know, like opposite magnetic poles, sexy men and women attract rapists; that is rape is entirely natural.

Is Mr. Amalaha going to argue that rape is therefore moral?

Equally, maglev trains must be the height of unnaturalness, so a moral abomination. Are Mr. Amalaha and his insightful supervisors going to lead a moral campaign against such ungodly evils?

Perhaps it’s also worth considering that god cannot be relevant consideration in explaining anything, moral or material, until some solid evidence of the particular god’s actual existence is demonstrated. If Mr Amalaha has done that, then he has certainly achieved a world first.

21. I guess they don’t set the bar very high in Nigeria’s universities. It’s such an absurd story I didn’t bother to retweet it when I saw it some days ago. If Nigeria want to make themselves the laughing stock of the world that’s fine with me.

Other articles cite him stating the Sodom and Gomorrah “were destroyed by God because they were into gay practice”. Firstly we don’t know the names of those two cities because Sodom is Hebrew meaning burnt, and Gomorrah means rubble, so those weren’t their real names. They were destroyed by some natural forces, earthquake, volcanic activity, etc., as were the other cities. The scriptural texts say nothing about people being gay.
    I often see Nigerian’s being indoctrinated with false interpretations on their own web sites – and few seem to challenge them, such is the stifling oppressive nature of their society. Most Nigerians I’ve met here are glad to have left.

1. Gulliver is correct. Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because of false godly worship and inhospitality. So this mans statements are truly false indeed. Tis just shows how dumb the african population is thanks to evangelistic brainwashing.

1. Also the supposed centre of morality in the Sodom story is Lot. When the townsmen wanted to gang-rape the two disguised angels staying with Lot, he told them not to (breach of hospitality) and suggested they rape his daughters instead. A bit later, Lot got both his daughters pregnant in highly dubious circumstances. Yes, there’s a moral authority I’d want to follow. And it has absolutely nothing to do with consensual sex of any description.

1. Yes. As Ezekiel says in testimony about sodom
          “As I live, saith the LORD GOD, Sodom thy sister hath not done, she nor her daughters, as thou hast done, thou and thy daughters. Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom,
          pride,
          fulness of bread, and
          abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters,
          [Inhospitality] neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were
          haughty, and
          committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.” -Ezekiel 16:48-50

1. Fulness of bread?! I think we’ve just established that running a bakery is an abomination. An ABOMINATION, do you hear?

I didn’t notice that the sinners in Sodom were women, either. Curious gendering there.

2. The idea that these two cities were destroyed because of homosexuality was a Christian fabrication (Christianity is to Judaismm what Salafism is to moderate Islam). But even so, these two cities actually never existed in the first place. Nor did Jesus nor any of the so called “prophets”.

22. Michaelandfred 15 Sep 2013, 12:34pm

I was always under the presumption Africa had so many problems rooted in their lack of water. Now I’m thinking they just might not be bright enough to turn on the faucet.

However our American evangelicals will probably give him the science project of the year award.

1. Staircase2 18 Sep 2013, 3:05am

That’s racist

23. Was this his masters or doctrinal thesis?

1. Rudehamster 16 Sep 2013, 1:08pm

I think it was the one that took him from Kindergarten to Primary.

24. Thicker than a bucket of pig …er…leavings.

Still undecided if religion attracts simpletons, or if it rots the brain and makes ordinary people stupid.

Best comment I’ve seen to this? A wit remarking that the correlation was utterly bizarre, since he had never once gotten his junk stuck to the fridge…

25. That There Other David 15 Sep 2013, 12:38pm

I’ll remember this if a CV arrives on my desk which has the University of Lagos listed under Education.

Rest assured it will be filed directly into the round cabinet on the floor. If this is the standard of education they laud as worthy of their accreditation then any graduate of theirs does not have the necessary qualifications.

1. Calm down guys, I finished from the school by the way and just like any rational being, I find his research insulting to the words science and research. However, the sad truth is so many people build their existence around religion over here and are willing to accept anything no matter how patently ridiculous so long as it can be shaded with religion. Not in anyway helping the country I have to say.doesn’t mean I am pro-gay though but it’s not my cup of tea. My point is every school has its fair share of idiots, would be totally wrong to judge the rest based on the idiots

26. Can you imagine what it must feel like, to be a proper graduate from this university? I feel very sorry indeed for any academics and intelligent undergraduates and graduates in Nigeria, with this sort of jaw-dropping absurdity bringing such ridicule to their institutions.

27. thelostdot 15 Sep 2013, 1:10pm

Isn’t it about time there was a world body to validate universities? if they validate this their degrees NEED to be a joke.

28. Staff at the University of Lagos have “lauded” this?

I just looked for Lagos in the new list of the world’s top universities. I found some real powerhouses of higher education – Plymouth and East London universities, for example – but not Lagos.

Shurely shome mishtake?

1. I think thats a misprint, Steve. I think that should read ‘Staff of the university of Lagos have Laughed at this’

29. This would be funny if it was not so horribly ignorant on so many levels.

30. Alice Bondi 15 Sep 2013, 1:24pm

Fantasising about winning a Nobel prize demonstrates he is getting a little ahead of himself. How about trying to publish in Nature first (as I am sure every single Nobel Prize winner of the last few decades has done)? The international refereeing of papers ensures that this dog’s breakfast of pseudo-scientific bunkum will land exactly where it belongs – in the shredder.

31. Kenton Forshee 15 Sep 2013, 2:03pm

Since humans aren’t magnets his argument is invalid.

32. I’m sorry, I’ve just finished laughing at his stupidity.

33. No doubt Mr Amalaha’s next project will be to prove the devil lives in the hearts of left-handed children and they should therefore all be beheaded, and no doubt the University of Lagos will applaud that piece of learned research too. They should re-brand themselves the University of Ignorance & Stupidity.

34. Paul Essex/London 15 Sep 2013, 2:16pm

“Recently my lecturer…told me that I will win Nobel prize one day, because he found that my works are real and nobody has done it in any part of the world.”

I actually feel a bit a sorry for this guy, he’s being sold stinking pile of BS by people with titles like Professor. He’s being told he’ll go all the way to the top when he has no idea what charlatans his ‘teachers’ are.

35. Robert A. Cuthbertson, M.D. 15 Sep 2013, 2:34pm

Ah, the relgious right and their brilliance as it relates to science. The RCC convicted Copernicus and Galileo of heresy for their brilliance and outstanding scientific arguments. This dude should get the Nobel prize.

36. Slight problem. While magnets have a north pole and a south pole, human sexuality doesn’t work that way. It is clearly not the case that all men exist on one side of the planet, and all women exist on the other.

37. Good lord what next, what on earth is happening to the people on this planet – Bonkers!!!

38. How is this kind of bigotry allowed – all in the name of an non-existent deity – If I published a paper on how ALL ‘religious’ people are just lazy and stupid -cause their brains are too small to embrace the truth about the universe – I would be condemned –

bit it’s ok for these morons to get press attention and influence other ‘religious’ morons!

what a dreadful race religious humans truly are….

39. Jon (Malaysia) 15 Sep 2013, 4:18pm

A single brain eating amoeba would starve to death in that university

40. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Sep 2013, 4:18pm

This is a ‘must read’ for Sharon James of C4M. She would unequivocally support this nonsense as evidenced by her staunch support of the deeply flawed and debunked Regnerus crap.

41. Few centuries ago, he would be burned because of talking about those magical items called magnets.

42. Anyway it’s just a question of the point of view.

Magnets proves everyone are bisexual! Because every magnet has two poles (except monopoles, that are just hypothetical.) If you think you are attracted only by one pole, you just look from a different side :D

43. EXCLUSIVE: Professor Gerry’s latest scientific research proves that Sodium is an element that melts and burns when in contact with di-hydrogen monoxide, especially when in liquid form. It also shows that Chlorine is a gas that’s been used in warfare to kill people.

I’ve also discovered significant amounts of Di-Hydrogen Monoxide can be detected in the bodies of many University of Lagos graduate volunteers, especially those who live in properties where large amounts of this material is traditionally stored in open containers in the space under the roof.

Anyone at risk should take great care to avoid ingesting a compound of Sodium and Chlorine (once traditionally used as a food preservative) because they will burst into flames and suffocate.

This proves that Spontaneous Combustion is caused by Sodium and Chlorine; even the initial letters are the same !

44. Christopher Coleman 15 Sep 2013, 4:55pm

At my university (premier and prestigious, naturally) I used to joke that the quantity of research being done in the late 20th century would leave future generations with no opportunities for earning doctorates. Turns out it was no joke. We appear to have already exhausted all useful research topics. PhD degrees will now be awarded by The Comedy Club.

1. Jane McQueen 16 Sep 2013, 12:43pm

Then there is hope for my PhD in “Can Cheese be used as weapon to enable global domination”

1. Christopher Coleman 16 Sep 2013, 10:09pm

I do hope so. When you defend your thesis, feel free to say you have my total support.

45. In other news, the University of Lagos Professor of Mathematics has just announced that 1+1=4, and the Head of the Faculty of Art has worked out how to draw stick men.

46. New Rule: You’re not allowed to quote the Bible if you haven’t read it!

SERIOUSLY, we can tell. Like when you say moronic things like, “this was why nations of Sodom and Gomora were destroyed by God because they were into gay practice,” then I fall out of my chair laughing because OBVIOUSLY you have not read the text you speak of. I mean, come on, people. Are you going to be referring us to “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” for omelet recipes next?

1. If you have a preacher to tell you, why should you waste time reading the stuff? You just have more time for serious research, like this.

47. Can we get Mythbusters to prove the point of this for science?

It is either Mythbusters or Nigerian science doctrine to prove 100% which is the better analogy.

48. David Walsh 15 Sep 2013, 5:17pm

Everyone in that university must be sniffing glue. Crazy.

49. Gobsmacking. I’d expect better science from a prinary school age child. This poor guy also uses chemistry to ‘prove being gay is wrong’:

. “…..the acid is a different body, the base is a different body and they will react. But if you bring an acid and you pour it on top of an acid chemistry there will be no reaction….A woman on top of a woman will have no reaction, that is what chemistry is showing.”

Oh yeah? Well, I’ve done my own..er… experiments and I beg to differ ;)

50. white squirrel 15 Sep 2013, 5:20pm

and for his next paper

how dinosaurs were gay and the comet that wiped them was sent by ‘god’

51. He also uses Maths as a ‘proof’, which is equally mindbogglingly stupid :D He must find the idea of being gay very frightening to attempt to disprove it with all of those sciences. I almost feel sorry for him because he’s so deluded.

52. Guglielmo Marinaro 15 Sep 2013, 5:25pm

Sorry, he’s too late. It’s like climbing Everest and then finding that someone else has beaten you to it. This valuable “research” has already been done by this pillock:

1. Oh no! This poor Nigerian guy will be gutted! :D The Nobel’s slipped out of his hands. Tragic! :D

53. That’s not science, that’s a metaphor.

1. Cardinal Fang 16 Sep 2013, 10:55am

I thought it was an analogy

54. One word… “BACKWARDS” end of!!!

1. Rudehamster 16 Sep 2013, 1:10pm

That’s three.

55. kimberly_r 15 Sep 2013, 5:53pm

But, but — batteries PROVE that homosexuality is natural. If you hook two batteries up the same way – positive to positive, and negative to negative, you get TWICE the current!! If you hook two batteries up negative to positive and negative to positive, all you get are hot batteries, and possibly a fire!!

The polarity on batteries = sex: + to + and – to – equal homosexuality, + to – equals heterosexuality. Therefore, homosexuality is not only natural, but SAFER than heterosexuality!!!

Perhaps I can get a mail order Ph.D. in biology from the University of Lagos!

56. OMG, I pity his children and all those who buys into this crap. Shame on education in Nigeria!

57. Scott_R_L_1 15 Sep 2013, 6:22pm

At least Nigeria is a hell hole on earth so they’re paying for their ignorance. Serves them bloody right!

58. …..

Oh wow. What a special little fruitcake he is.

59. Wait a minute… Is it for real or some kind of joke? It’s not All Fools’ Day today.
    This ‘scientist’ is so stupid he doesn’t deserve a comment, but anyways…
    All his experiment proved is that opposites attract (by the way, as far as magnets are concerned we all know that, nobody had to discover it anew). If this poor guy draws a conclusion that same-sex marriages are wrong he should be consistent – as a scientist would – and decide that same-race marriages are wrong, too. Thus, whites should only marry blacks for example. Black people marrying blacks are morally wrong. Sexuality is not the only thing that defines people in terms of the same/opposite.

60. Hesham Mashhour 15 Sep 2013, 7:06pm

So, a postgraduate student? Huh. I’d say if his research involves poles of magnets he belongs in some forgotten elementary school.

61. G. M. Gray 15 Sep 2013, 7:09pm

That’s why Nigeria has no successful science program

62. Is this, like, a REAL university? Or can anybody join in?

63. This is hilarious, I’m hoping it’s not true as it means nigerian education standards are non-existent, ergo 2+2 means that the world will end in 5 days, lol

64. Lucius Malfoy 15 Sep 2013, 7:57pm

I’m going to get a Nobel prize, Sure sure…
    That so called research of his isn’t even worth an Ig Nobel prize

65. Sadie Glutz 15 Sep 2013, 8:13pm

F****ing magnets, just how do they work anyways?

Maybe ICP had a point.

66. “Magnets of the same polarity repel therefore the same must be true of humans….” wow what a genius! give this man a round of applause! *one person slowly caps*. In all seriousness though if this is the best “scientific proof” that homophobes can come up with then I think we’ve got nothing to worry about, God these Nigerian “scientists” sure are an effing joke.

67. white squirrel 15 Sep 2013, 8:38pm

wonder what they will make of
    magnetic field pole reversal as evidenced by oceanic ridges

proof the earth is transgender?

assuming they progress that far in their ‘research’

68. white squirrel 15 Sep 2013, 8:44pm

wonder what the ‘university’ of Lagos will make of
    magnetic field pole reversal as evidenced by oceanic ridges

proof the earth is transgender?

assuming they progress that far in their ‘research’

69. Jamie bennett 15 Sep 2013, 8:58pm

I’m reeeeally struggling to work out if this is a joke or not…

70. And the basic rule of chemistry is that like dissolves like. By the same logic, if you want a man to completely melt, he needs a similar man to do it – lol

71. I remember finding out that opposites attract in primary school … is the education system really that bad in Nigeria?

72. Ground breaking work. Hope it’s a PhD and not just an MSc he’s getting for this outstanding work…

A university? Really…?

1. Frank Boulton 16 Sep 2013, 6:11pm

Perhaps PhD and MSc mean different things at the University of Lagos, e.g. Ph**king Dunce and Most Stupid c**t.

73. Matter and antimatter are opposites, yet annihilate each other on contact. Does this scientifically prove that heterosexuality is “unnatural” as well?

74. E. Carpenter 16 Sep 2013, 12:47am

I put epoxy on one piece of leather, then more epoxy on another piece of leather that was exactly the same shape and size as the first, and tried this very same Excellent experiment – but the two pieces of leather did not repel each other as they should! Instead, when I put them together, they stuck to each other! I could not get them apart! They are permanently bonded! But they were just the same!

What went wrong?? Has Physics failed me? Is Jesus trying to tell me something? Should I only marry another man if he is into leather?

1. Heath Motley 16 Sep 2013, 1:14am

most animals in natural have same sex relations.

2. Assuming you are into leather then yes, since the laws of physics dictate it.

3. Yes, but if you do, for god’s sake DO NOT put epoxy on any of your body parts before you stick them together!

75. Jocah Le Fey 16 Sep 2013, 4:22am

As all magnets actually have both North and South ends…
    It seems obvious that in fact we should all just 69! N + S attracts!
    No more kissing! As both N ends repel!
    But then if we were f**king, wouldn’t that repelling just add some more thrust! Mmmm

Bhahahaa where’s my Nobel Prize!

76. jamestoronto 16 Sep 2013, 4:56am

The BEST example of junk science to come out in a while. Please, University of Lagos, send us more of your research studies. The world really needs a good laugh now and again.

77. Spic'nspan 16 Sep 2013, 4:57am

He didn’t use gay magnets… No gay magnet would be seen in public like those!!!

78. Oh MYYYYY! Sorry, Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for failling in their hospitality to strangers, It had nothing to do with sexuality.

1. Now you’ve fallen into the trap of ‘believing’ that the bible is something other that an ancient novel. If you try to fight nut jobs like him with debate over a book that claims snakes talk and women were created fom a man’s rib … well …. we may as well all just pack up and go home.

79. Perhaps someone in Nigeria needs to learn the list of logical fallacies. They can start with: False Equivalence.

I feel sorry for the educational status of Nigeria.

80. 1,500 animal species practice homosexuality: http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/10/23/20718.aspx

81. Wow. how hi-tech. Way to go Nigeria……… same bunch of morons that also believe that a man can walk on water.

82. Wow. Cutting edge break through. Blood bunch of morons………..same moron that believe that a man can walk on water

83. Here’s the link to the full article. It makes for pretty mind-boggling reading. You have to feel sorry for anyone who is this deluded. The poor bugger really is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

84. Dimitris T 16 Sep 2013, 8:31am

This silly research and sillier his tutor were, has an intrinsic disadvantage: it seems rational, but it is not. In a parabole, Jesus claimed that there is a small seed, we maid mustard of it, but from this small seed grows a big tree. This is a parabolic way af preachure. Though, the seed of the bean is big, but the plant small! What applies to the one, does not apply to the other! Οpposite charges are attracted, but same charges, within the nucleus, are also attracted by stronger power, that keeps them together. Now what? Two men or two women too close equals to irresistible attraction? The fact tha same-sex attraction exists for ages, despite hostility, or it exists in animals, who don’t have a will means nothing? Good day to everybody.

85. Hmmm…. science also says that when you split a magnetic bar, the both sides of the area of the split become oppositely charged. So from real science, we know that electromagnetic charges can change, when split, while from real-life knowledge, we know that surgery can make a man a woman. My God! He just helped me prove that transsexuality is natural!

Still, I’m pretty sure Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by God because of all the sex that happened there. I’m not a Biblical scholar, but I used to like reading the Bible and it seemed like God was more mad about all the sexual immorality itself (adultery) rather than who does it, especially knowing the Bible references adultery much more than homosexuality alone when it comes to what’s wrong. (And most interpretations that suggest being gay is a sin according to the Bible are usually misguided or due to the political changes made to the Bible – changing the words in the Bible is apparently a sin too, but they still did it.) :o

86. This study is absolute genius! I am shocked, shocked I say! Why, all this time I thought it had something to do with the monodirectionality of the unitard or something…

87. Dimitris T 16 Sep 2013, 9:51am

Within the nucleus of the atom, we have irresistible attraction, between same-charge particles!
    PS. “Gay lobby” is not responsible for his not getting the nobel prize!

88. is this some kind of joke? ? I mean its illogical dumb claim!

89. friday jones 16 Sep 2013, 10:27am

I can prove that gay hookups are 100% natural just by giving a small demonstration using LEGO bricks. Call the University of Lagos and tell them they have another genius to contend with!

90. Not directly related but….All 25,000 Liberian Students failed the entrance exam lol

1. You’re right, it’s not related – Liberia is as far away from Lagos as Croatia is from London.

91. This proves that the earth itself is gay, since the earth’s north pole attracts the north pole of every magnet.

92. Ok, so, University of Lagos degree = graduation from U.S. kindergarten. Got it.

93. Wow! I hear he’s close to cracking cold fusion using a few coconut shells and some copper wire too !

94. So what was the experiment. Did he literally take two magnets push the same poles together and go “OOH. Same poles push. Opposite poles attract. Two humans can have the same or opposite sex. Therefore humans are magnets.”
    I find it amusing that one might even consider that the laws relating to electromagnetism relate in anyway to the laws governing the biology underlying gender and sexuality. Is this not similar to argumentum ad ridiculum?

95. Jon (Malaysia) 16 Sep 2013, 1:01pm

Oh c’mon all ye nay sayers… This may just be the scientific data we’ve all been longing for. This Nobel Prize winning thinking may just explain why we have tops and bottoms! Given that all objects have a detectable magnetic charge, maybe all tops are polarized north and all bottoms are polarized south. We all know that north is above south, just look on any map. Except of course those maps from down under which obviously can’t be scientifically designed, because as we all know “those people” just elected Tony Abbot. Back to tops and bottoms as in magnets, sometimes the attraction is so great you can’t pry them apart! Unless of course you turn the hose on them. (Awaiting Nobel Prize committee’s call).

1. What about those who are versatile? Should they be called multipoles?

Or perhaps bipolar ..erm …

96. James Savik 16 Sep 2013, 1:17pm

Are you a wizard?

(I’m guessing NOT)

97. Mike de Fleuriot 16 Sep 2013, 1:33pm

It is good that we ridicule the hell out of this guy and his claim now. Because you know that some right wing nutter will later try and use this to prove something or other.

98. The puppy I just got has a greater intellect than this fool and as for the university praising his findings!!!!!!!! Words actually fail me.

99. “his next goal is to get his research published in international journals.”

I look forward to that. Don’t often get a laugh when I’m catching up on periodicals.

1. The Journal of Irreproducible Results. Or maybe The Onion..

100. Since when were we magnets? :P

1. Jon (Malaysia) 16 Sep 2013, 5:56pm

we are only magnetic!

101. rainbowhyphen 16 Sep 2013, 3:01pm

BREAKING NEWS: Chemistry proves heterosexuality is unnatural.

Imadet Hisup, a postgrad at Seemes-Legitt University confirmed that polar and nonpolar molecules will form solution only with their own kind, definitively proving that heterosexuality is immoral and unnatural. “My findings make it clear that mixing the sexes is unnatural,” he told reporters. When asked about semipolar molecules like phospholipids, he declined to comment.

102. James Lavin 16 Sep 2013, 3:29pm

is it April 1st already?

103. Hmmm, persuasive. One problem though, if you turn one magnet around they stick together quite well…

104. By that logic, people of the same racial background shouldn’t attract each other either. Come to think of it. Neither should individuals of the same species. Wait a minute, any living organism from this planet shouldn’t find another attractive, cause they’re from the same planet!! And why stop there? There’s more than one solar system, galaxy, and possibly, universe….

105. Frank Boulton 16 Sep 2013, 6:17pm

I’d like to know more about Mr. Amalaha’s experiments. What exactly was he doing with the magnets to enable him to draw such stunning conclusions about human sexuality?

106. Where’s the science in that. Magnets are not living things that think cognitively.

107. Wow the amount of solid scientific evidence astounds me.

You have got to be kidding me! Comparing humans to an inanimate object. A person with emotion and rational thought (obviously not in Nigeria) to a magnet. Ths proves nothing. There is not one logical argument backed up with any evidence in his “discovery.” and as far as Sodom and Gammorah go if one reads the story one takes away that it was destroyed for being evil people and rapeing anything that moved and lying and cheating.

108. This research is invalid because the magnets used were bipolar and so hermaphroditic. We will have to wait for mono-poles for the real story.

109. It seems to be then that EVERY couple must be of mixed racial backgrounds. Surely to black people can’t get married, or two whites or too Jews or two Christians. It seems based on this grade 1 level research that the only ideal couple would be one white male Jew and one black female Christian…. This research proves nothing.

110. This logic only works for bisexuals, right?

111. If Sexuality was as simple as that we would not exist! But then again, the Bible teaches that God specializes in things seem impossible, so I guess homosexuality is one of God’s miracle.

112. I can’t see any respectable journals taking this seriously. I mean the peer reviewers are going to have one hell of a laugh at this one.

Its this kind of stuff that gets universities discredited, if this is their level of Postgrad “research” then I question the quality of anything coming out of there.

I am a PhD student in Ireland and this makes me somewhat offended

113. Kay from New Zealand 17 Sep 2013, 12:09pm

If you apply an electrical current to a magnet, you can make it reverse polarity so that a formerly North oriented pole becomes South focused. Is this akin to endorsing electric shock to turn heterosexuals gay? Or vice versa? No because people aren’t magnets.

114. “nations of Sodom and [Gomorrah] were destroyed by God because they were into gay practice”
    Erm… I’d like to point out if you read ANY version of that story you will not find references to homosexuality. They were destroyed primarily for being inhospitable to strangers.
    Also, interesting question that his professors should have asked, what proofs does he have to even associate humans with magnets before tackling that hypothesis?

115. and here’s another physics law…BS always rolls downhill

116. ROTFLMAO. I’m guessing the U of Lagos is not a scientifically accredited institution…?

Actually, what this clown has proved is that back-door sex makes sense. Because, of course, if you have a flat magnet and you TURN IT AROUND, the other magnet sticks like crazy.

117. Luiz DeBarros of South African LGBT website Mambaonline said: “It’s debatable as to whether the embarrassing article is more damming [sic] of the standard of education at the University of Lagos or of the standard of journalism at This Day”…. this guy took the words out of my mouth. Will Africa ever be a developed continent? Even physicists of the middles ages wouldn’t have come up with such rubbish.

118. Haha what a fruit.

119. Soooo. . . Using that logic, humans and humans shouldn’t be attracted as they’re the same.

Is his next ‘scientific proof’ going to show why it’s ok that he loves his dog in that special way?

120. Staircase2 18 Sep 2013, 2:58am

Bloody idiot

121. I take it you only need to know your 12 times table to become a graduate in Nigeria.

122. Wow. I am going to marry a tin can then!!!

123. Martin Gavet 19 Sep 2013, 12:06pm

The law of magnetic attraction. I needed a good laugh. Thank you, and it is not even 1 April!

124. Yeah just like “I did not mean to steal, I was only joking, I’m my country I am a prince” heard around the Argos warehouse every day

125. Lol! Mr Amalaha forgot how to logic.

126. He hasn’t even proved that homosexuality is unnatural in magnets. Mind you, if you think you can detect any sort of sexuality in a magnet, you should possibly stop taking hallucinogens.

127. Barry William Teske 20 Sep 2013, 10:25am

Oh my gosh! You wouldn’t believe what I just found three magnets doing!

128. Bolutife Ogunsola 20 Sep 2013, 6:57pm

The guy is a crackpot with his own views. The University obviously doesn’t endorse of his “works”. http://www.unilag.edu.ng/newsdetails.php?NewsID=1332
    He’s a troll to whom ThisDay fell victim.

129. Political Hostage 22 Sep 2013, 9:24pm

Did he get am ‘f’ fpr the premice being a logical fallacy? He should have…

130. Just turn one of the magnets around and suddenly they go together :p