James Franco responds to gay jokes: ‘I wish I was gay’

1. Dan Filson 9 Sep 2013, 2:55pm

How does he know? I wouldn’t say being heterosexual was awesome – some people are, some aren’t; get over it. The things we expect people to say! If he wants try out being gay, he has only to drop around. Celebs do spout meaningless tosh, however well-intentioned.

1. I see where you’re coming from; too many times I’ve heard “Oh, I’d love to be gay” or “Damn, I wish I was gay sometimes, it’d be so much easier!” or “Oh, he’s gay? That is so unfair, who am I going to go on a date with now?” – so many silly things that make you just want to slap the person for being so inconsiderate. Being gay is NOT awesome! No it’s NOT easier! It’s NOT better for dating!

In many ways though, saying things like that is the only way someone can say something positive; life your spirits a bit, by saying they’re actually jealous and you should feel lucky. Straight people have no real perception of what it means to be gay so they think it would be fantastic if they could flip the switch one day and enjoy all the “positive” things that come with being gay, despite their total disregard for all the cr@p that comes with it; because they only see the good things, they never see the crap!

1. It’s kind of like how white people say “Oh, I’d love to be black, it’d be so cool” – totally forgetting or disregarding all the disadvantages that come with being black. They mean no harm; they’re jealous! but of course it’s still quite a silly thing to say in reality.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Sep 2013, 5:16pm

I wouldn’t say being straight is awesome either but I think gay people are rather awesome for enduring two millenia or more of hatred and discrimination and yet we survive and will continue to survive.

2. Mister Fister 10 Sep 2013, 6:32pm

You are being most mean-spirited toward a very decent man.

2. that annoying grammar one.. again 9 Sep 2013, 2:59pm

He should say “were gay” rather than ‘was gay’… grammar again :P

3. The actor said he believes he is losing work due to his portrayal of gay characters and appearances in films exploring the theme because companies do not like his new image.

He said: “I know that it’s directly related to the films that I put out at Sundance.

This is a problem that exists throughout the entire “entertainment” industry such as music and television – the emphasis on profit over art.

Shareholders want big returns every quarter and if they don’t get it; heads will roll! That is why you see an abundance of boring “safe” content in the industry; they want to make it as widely accessible as possible and unfortunately in this world LGBT content does not sell like “straight” content thanks to prejudice and sexual apartheid

James Franco is one of a handful of actors who is at least attempting to break down these falls; and he deserves respect. I loved him in Milk, a truly fantastic actor and person, and his approach is one that can and will change minds.

4. BlokeToys 9 Sep 2013, 3:07pm

The biggest story here is that there is a massive influence of money over art thanks to the complete domination of corporations in entertainment.

None of this should matter, an artist should be supported for their work and what it means to the world, not defined by the roles they play or the nature of the characters.

It’s baffling to me how millions of people seem to completely lose the plot when it comes to acting – these people make a career out of portraying others convincingly, that’s their art form!

Are people really so thick they can’t understand what ACTING is?

1. Christopher Coleman 9 Sep 2013, 4:20pm

“Are people really so thick they can’t understand what ACTING is?”

Yes, a lot of people are very stupid. Do you remember Mary Whitehouse? 1970s and 1980s. She brought an action against a West End play, because she considered the gay love scene to be real. She had plenty of supporters.

Art works are banned, because people regularly confuse a representation of reality with reality itself. For reasons I do not understand education does not appear to correct natural stupidity.

1. Justusboyz 9 Sep 2013, 4:58pm

Love your last sentence .

5. I think it’s irresponsible to reply to these kinds of comments by saying that being gay is like having the bubonic plague. Surely that’s not the message you want to send young LGBT people, Mr. Pink ?

1. Of course not friend, I actually love being homosexual and wouldn’t change it for the world, but I do find it irritating when heterosexuals act as if it is some way better or easier, when it obviously is not for most people!

It’s diminishing the struggle that many LGBT teens and adults experience, and if every straight person went around saying “I wish I was gay”, then the gay teens who are struggling in some way might not be taken as seriously because it will be seen as a kind of “What are you complaining about? You should count yourself lucky!! Even James Franco wishes he was gay, and he’s a movie star!!” – and we are simply not at that stage just yet.

6. Justusboyz 9 Sep 2013, 5:05pm

James Franco is a great actor. I admire him for taking on Gay roles.
    People will always have opinions, mostly incorrect! It’s a Shame if it affects his career.

7. I think when a US big star says something that they are probably using their high profile to address young people who are gay and maybe living in circumstances that are a long way from ideal. They may feel isolated cos of where they live or they don’t know anyone who is gay or they are afraid to tell people closest to them. I think it is just his way of saying to them it is cool because they probably wont get that from their peers or parents or teachers. He realises there is big world outside LA and New York etc.

Gucci have him promoting their new scent so I don’t think any film he has done has made him less marketable. He’s a very intelligent guy and a real artist so I think he has a natural curiousity about life and that will influence the roles he choses. He could easily just be a romantic lead, he is certainly good looking enough but I don’t think that would satisfy him. Also he is the only guy who can rock a moustache look and I hate moustaches!

1. And he is right when he says there is “prejudice against certain kinds of material in mainstream cinema”

8. Elston Gunn 9 Sep 2013, 5:42pm

Not sure how I feel about this. I haven’t seen the Roast so not entirely sure what was said – but I can guess he had the p*** taken out of him for taking on gay roles. And Franco seems to have taken this light-heartedly. It’s questionable how this response helps anything – okay fine Franco you’d like to be gay, but surely a principled stand at the Roast would have been better? I don’t think it’s good enough to just say “so what?”. I know that these Roasts are fairly tough, but would they allow racist jokes to be said regardless of who was on the receiving end – would that be taken in good spirit? Anybody know if that’s ever happened in modern times? I know Dean Martin had to put up with xenophobic jokes due to his Italian roots but of course that was back in the 1970s.

9. Yes we wish you were too, James <3

10. So do we James, so do we <3

11. We wish you were too, James! :)

12. floridahank 20 Sep 2013, 10:32pm

This guy is an immature publicity hound. He wants to get attention in any way he can. He truly sounds like a jerk