Australia votes to reject Kevin Rudd and his promise of overturning gay marriage ban

1. Bill Drayton 7 Sep 2013, 12:32pm

I hope that despite the fact that Labor has lost the Australian general election the government of the day will enable there to be a free vote on equal marriage – i.e. one on conscience and not policy. I believe that marriage is a fundamental right for all whether gay or straight, and that eventually this will be recognized in law in Australia.

2. Sean White 7 Sep 2013, 12:46pm

The thing to remember here is that despite the fact that equal marriage is an important issue it wasn’t one that was a major issue for the voting public. There are other areas that my fellow Australians (particularly the stupid ones) were more likely to decide their vote

3. colonelkira 7 Sep 2013, 1:06pm

Well thats that then! Kevin has conceded! The Republican Party……oops…..I mean The Liberal Party has won the election…………a man who is ANTI abortion, ANTI marriage equality, ANTI womens rights, ANTI refugees, ANTI climate change and ANTI free vote is your new Prime Minister!……….Well done morons!

4. Shame. It looks like the land down under is stuck in the mud, at least where it comes to progressing human rights, particularly for LGBTs.
    The soon to be PM, sounds like the typical religious bigot, judging by the comments I’ve read of his made recently.
    Will Australia be one of the last western nations to legalize same sex marriage? – It’s looking that way.

1. Is Australia a western country? Haven’t a considerable proportion of the population their roots elsewhere but the west?
      I ask because I wonder if the popular perception of Australia, particularly in the UK, is one of a white, middle class, conservative nation.
      Perhaps it is no longer that way? and not having visited the country I only wish to know.

1. A ‘white, middle-class nation’ is exactly the sort of society that would be violently hostile to asylum seekers and opposed to same-sex marriage, wouldn’t you say?

2. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 3:04pm

How patronising and arrogant. What do you think constitutes a ‘western country’, do they have to be a white, middle class, conservative nation? That is borderline racist. Sure we are a multicultural country, but this adds to the depth, flavour and vigour of our population. We co-exist relatively well and are peaceful, with some minor exceptions.

We are a modern, liberal democracy with a constitution based on the rule of law, the better elements of the Westminster Parliamentary system, the Canadian form of federalism, elements of the US of A and Switzerland. Our upper house (Senate) is democratically.

I don’t like Abbott, I think he is crude, arrogant & bigoted but I might point out he is an English import. Not all of his party are anti-equal marriage so we will have to see what happens. It also has to be said that most Australians are pro-equal marriage, way ahead of our politicians.

I know you say you have never been here, but such ill informed, racist assumptions, really!

1. Why do some people get so defensive when they perceive their country to be criticised? There is a perception in Britain among many that Australia is a white, conservative, country and for most of the last 200 years or so that was the case.

As for Abbot being an “import”, that’s how you could describe 98% of the non-Aboriginal population (depending on how far back you go). Besides Abbot isn’t the only “English import” (or British import), your political, legal system and main language are too.

1. Hysterical Screamer No. 243 7 Sep 2013, 3:54pm

“Why do some people get so defensive when they perceive their country to be criticised?”

I believe it’s because Brits (and in particular the English) are so damned inclined to sneer and look down their noses at every land beyond our own little island, the UK.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Sep 2013, 4:14pm

Hysterical Screamer No. 243, you should hear the jingoism among many red-neck Americans who even look down on the British. We’re not alone by any stretch of the imagination. The French are no different either. There’s an element of ‘superiority’ in most western countries.

3. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 4:44pm

Chris – I wasn’t so concerned with defending Australia but rather the patronising attitude of Pa’s comment. I would be just as offended if he said the same thing about Singapore or Japan, both highly developed, non-white nations. Australia is on the doorstep of Asia, we see their progress & most of us don’t subscribe to colonialist hangover notions of superiority. Europe needs to wake up and see the rapid development of Asia, whose steadily improving levels of education are driving improvements in democracy and human rights.

Secondly, mentioning Abbott’s place of birth was simply a reflection on the patronising attitude of Pa, that some of his/her own race aren’t as progressive as he might think. I am an English import myself but get offended that my friends of non-European heritage are patronised by an ignoramus who hasn’t even been here.

Thirdly, I acknowledged that our political/legal system/ constitution draws heavily on the Westminster system.

Are you the defensive one?

4. I can’t seem to be able to make a reply to ‘furious Australian’ so I’ll have to make it here, and hope (s)he finds it.
            “My point was a rebuttal of the idea that being a white, middle class, conservative nation are the requisites of being considered a ‘Western nation’”

I completely agree. I’ve never considered ethnicity to be a particularly important defining factor when considering what constitutes as a “western nation”.
            It’s more of a cultural factor. Art, music, sport, literature, politics etc.
            I consider Australia to be a part of this culture.
            Unless someone can show me otherwise, I’m open to persuasion. Baring in mind geographical location has no baring on what constitutes as ‘west’ any more. Otherwise we’d also have to exclude the USA and Canada. As they are part of the ‘Americas’.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Sep 2013, 4:00pm

It’s one thing to chide someone for borderline racism but quite another when you mention Abbott as an English import. By that remark one would deduce you may be an anglophobe as I’m sure a number of Australians are. Why is it relevant since there are many native born Australians who aren’t of English descent and are just as bad? Why single out his original nationality to score points in the blame game if that’s what you’re doing?

If most Australians are pro-equal marriage, it certainly didn’t reflect it in the election and Abbott’s supposed landslide.

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 5:09pm

Robert, I am an English import myself. I actually like my heritage but I don’t think it is better than any other Australian’s heritage. My point was a rebuttal of the idea that being a white, middle class, conservative nation are the requisites of being considered a ‘Western nation’.

As to most Australians being pro-equal marriage, the election result was not a referendum on an equal marriage, there were many issues of far greater consequence to the general population, i.e. climate change, tax, budget, education, health etc. In fact, Abbott & his ‘Tory’ colleagues were voted in not for the content of their platform, but largely because they weren’t the Labor Party. As the Labor Health Minister Tanya Plibersek said, she would have scored the government 9/10 for their policies implemented, but 0/10 for internal party governance.

Whilst Abbott won a significant victory, he didn’t win by the landslide predicted – especially in the western suburbs of Sydney.

A little perspective!

3. It’s not your country. It belongs to aborigines you lot are invaders so don’t forget that. I imagine the aborigines see you as evil thieves

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 6:15pm

James, a little history lesson.

Britain’s earlier inhabitants were invaded at various times by Anglo-Saxons, the Romans, the French, the Vikings, the Normans etc etc. I imagine the earlier inhabitants of Britain saw them as evil invaders and thieves.

That doesn’t make what the British colonisers do to the aborigines acceptable, but you can’t wind back the clock. It doesn’t make it right, and neither does it make the current conditions in which many aborigines live. We have to attempt to reconcile past wrongs and move ahead together, after all that is what has happened with the invaders of Britain but over a much longer period than in Australia.

2. You can treat them with respect today. And make up for the despicable behaviour of your ancestors. Not likely though

3. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 6:36pm

James, I am a first generation migrant to Australia. My ancestors had nothing to do with the invasion of Australia by the British in 1788.

Never-the-less, I can see the great injustices of the past, and I am not too proud to deny them. Just whinging about past injustices changes nothing, the past can’t be changed but the future can. I think more needs to be done to empower the aborigines to reclaim their power and cultural energy. This is one of the factors I take into consideration when I research who should get my vote.

Just as an aside, I loath Abbott with a passion – but I am mature enough to acknowledge that he has very sincere about the plight of the aborigines. Not sure about his approach to remedy their plight.

Perhaps you could reflect on the injustices of the British (& other European) colonialists. What about the poor treatment of Afro-Carribeans, Asians, Poles etc in the UK?

None of us have clean slates, but judge what you do to change the situation.

5. Oh dear, that’s a shame. I enjoyed his reaction to questions regarding equal marriage; despite it coming after “years” of questioning his “christian” conscience!! Good to know he came through in the end though, maybe next election !

6. The Bishop 7 Sep 2013, 1:43pm

The only economy that has done well during the world crisis. The election was lost because of infighting, and won by Murdoch.

The new PM reminds me of ozzie stereotype Barrie Mackenzie. Showing my age there.

1. Sandgroper 7 Sep 2013, 1:50pm

The new PM reminds me of ozzie stereotype Barrie Mackenzie…. or perhaps Sir Les Patterson?

2. Actually, iceland is doing very well, because they were the only ones who didn’t bail out the bankers who caused the crisis !

3. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Sep 2013, 2:23pm

Canada’s economy didn’t suffer much either during the financial meltdown.

That said, I question the notion banded about that the majority of Australians support equal marriage. If that’s the case, why is it that Abbott has won the election outright? It seems evident that it may not be the case.

1. colonelkira 7 Sep 2013, 4:58pm

Because it wasn’t the MAJOR issue facing the country! God dammit how stupid are you? Most people in Australia DO want equality but it isn’t the ONLY reason they vote!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Sep 2013, 5:31pm

You don’t even know me and call me stupid based on one comment I’ve made? Would you be calling anyone stupid if the economy, climate change and unemployment weren’t the issues and Abbott still won? We have identical economic woes and other serious issues in the UK that were far more important to people than equal marriage yet we were able to win it with overwhelming support in both Houses of Parliament and by a conservative led coalition, not to mention the majority support of the British electorate.

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 7:14pm

Robert, this is just about the luck of the draw. You were lucky Cameron was really motivated to pass your well deserved SSM laws – many of his colleagues were/are dead against it. Unfortunately we have not been so lucky to have a highly motivated PM to get SSM legislation passed.

Abbott is just a religious Catholic nutter and as for Gillard I am baffled with her anti-SSM stance because it is counter to her stance on similar rights issues. Can you lend us Cameron? We need him here.

2. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 6:19pm

Fair point colonelkira.

2. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 7:05pm

Robert, the link below takes you to a page which references a number of polls taken by different polling companies. It also shows a result that 81% of people polled wanted the conservative Lib/Nat Coalition to have a conscience vote in Parliament on the issues of SSM.

There is also this article in the right-wing oriented Murdoch owned paper:

I hope this allays your apparent anti-Australian bias.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Sep 2013, 2:48pm

The economy isn’t doing so well now that natural resources and demand are drying up. Gillard and Rudd are jointly to blame for resisting equal marriage for so long. Rudd’s change of heart came a little too late in the game. Game over.

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 5:33pm

Robert, your comments are rather disappointing given your excellent reportage during the SSM debates in the House of Lords.

“The economy isn’t doing so well now that natural resources and demand are drying up.’ – Wrong, what has declined is the investment/construction phase of the mines/gas fields & we are turning to the production phase, demand for our mineral exports are in fact holding up quite well. Our GDP growth is 2.6% pa

“Gillard and Rudd are jointly to blame for resisting equal marriage for so long.” You are absolutely right – I have never understood Gillards resistance, it is almost as surprising as the Tory PM Cameron’s admirable, dogged support of SSM. When you are finished with Cameron, can you send him out here to coach our religious nut job Abbott as to the equity of SSM issues.

“Rudd’s change of heart came a little too late in the game. Game over.” Again you are right – I think his daughter was very influential in his change of heart – better late than never.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Sep 2013, 6:19pm

Furious, Cameron called Abbott today congratulating him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a whisper in Abbotts ear about equal marriage.

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 7:22pm

I hope so Robert, and I hope even more that Cameron’s whisper was persuasive. :-) Wish us well, we desperately need it!

Apparently Abbott’s three daughters and wife don’t hold the same view on SSM.

7. So we have a homophobe elected as PM and one who has pretty disgusting views on asylum seekers. Nice to see the reactionary side of Australia making such a splendid resurgence.

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 5:34pm

‘So we have a homophobe elected as PM and one who has pretty disgusting views on asylum seekers.”

Sad, but true.

8. always baffled here when we see in the media that people go to Australia for a “better life” . Never understood this. Esp. now.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Sep 2013, 2:32pm

I know what that’s all about. The superficial nonsense about sun, sand and beaches, nothing more. Certainly not what I would take into consideration as a gay person and certainly not a country I’d even consider. I have a lot of empathy for our gay Australian brothers and sisters. How terribly disappointing and frustrating it must be for them. Abbot could never even be shamed into allowing a conscience vote since he’s in cahoots with his morally bankrupt roman cult, the dominant cult in Australia apparently.

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 6:00pm

‘The superficial nonsense about sun, sand and beaches, nothing more.’

There is a lot more to life in Australia – I avoid the sun (not as hard in Melbourne) and can’t stand the sand and the beaches. There is a strong and very accessible cultural life in Melbourne, temperate rain forests nearby, skiing within a couple of hours drive, sailing etc etc. Of course we have more than our fair share of men and women behaving badly, our so called bogans, but they exist in every country.

The Economist just voted Melbourne as the most livable city in the world, we have a high HDI index rating and our economic growth has slowed to 2.6% pa, which is below trend.

My point is not so much the this is heaven on earth, but it has a much wider range of lifestyle interests than often perceived in the UK. It may not have have the cultural depth or type of culture common in Europe, but neither is not all stereo-typical sun, sand and beaches.

I think modern Australia would surprise you.

1. And the abbos can’t be seen. Yeah Australia is great

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 7:41pm

Firstly, it is very disrespectful to call Aborigines ‘abbos’. Secondly, there is no denying that the treatment of Aborigines, past and present is appalling. It is our greatest national shame.
            Thirdly, the many attempts to improve their situation by well meaning people have so far not been effective enough, but there are encouraging signs of improvement, albeit small, with the greater engagement with their elders in community solutions. Long may they continue.
            Fourthly, there is an element of racism amongst some Australians and we need to continue challenging this.
            Lastly, there is racism in every country, often in both directions, but denying there is a problem or inferring others are worse does nothing to change the abomination of racism and homophobia. How is your own back yard? People in glass houses should’t throw stones and a little maturity wouldn’t go amiss.

2. Many people in the UK want a bit of Britain in the sun. Although Australia has become much more multicultural over the last few decades it is a country where the dominant culture is still British, white and English speaking. Therefore many British people see it as a place where they can carry on living on as they were but in a better climate and without having to learn a new language (although recently some emphasis has been placed on school children in Australia learning languages from East Asia due to its proximity and growing importance, which some Daily Mail readers dissmissed as “political correctness” when they reported on it). However, the readers of the right wing rags in Britain will be wanting to move there even more now considering this bigot has got into power.

1. “the dominant culture is still British, white and English speaking. ”

Racist comment, yuk.

1. Is it? IT doesn’t seem so to me. How would you describe the dominant culture of Australia, then?

3. Christophr Hobe Morrion 8 Sep 2013, 2:31am

I guess thisdepends on what their ife was lke in The Other Place.

9. Tony Abbott trained to be a catholic priest so there’s not much chance of him permitting the issue of equal marriage to surface in the next five years – or even allowing it to be a free vote. Free thinking is not exactly part of his previous job description!

The Labour party shot themselves in the foot with their division – so they should share some of the blame for the delay in equality.

1. Sandgroper 7 Sep 2013, 6:04pm

True.

10. Pavlos Prince of Greece 7 Sep 2013, 2:26pm

My personal impression from abroad: the “support” for gay marriage by Mr. Rudd was less about authentic passion (at least in comparison with Mr. Cameron, who has supporting this regardless big political risk) and more about desperate political games ahead of elections, where nothing less than future of all Labor party was at the stake, and every single vote for this party of “live or die” importance. So of gay community too. As about Mr. Abbot, he is at least an indeed passionate monarchist. The only positive side in him, I guess.

1. Sandgroper 7 Sep 2013, 3:20pm

“he is at least an indeed passionate monarchist.”

I’m not an anti-monarchist, but why would having a foreign monarch be a positive thing for Australia?

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 7 Sep 2013, 3:56pm

If Catholics of all world can accept an Argentinian Pope with residence in Rome as they “spiritual leader” – including Catholics in Britain, then why can’t the Queen with residence in London maintain her pure symbolic role as head of state of Australian nation, the majority of whom have British origins and still speak English ?

1. Sandgroper 8 Sep 2013, 12:41am

This doesn’t even dignify a response.

11. Bloody good luck with this misogynist, homophobic, religious fanatic bigot in charge of your country.
    He doesn’t appear too bright, so hope he has some intelligent people around him, but then he doesn’t seem to take advice too well either. Welcome to the regress to the 19 50′s cobber’s.

1. Sandgroper 7 Sep 2013, 4:10pm

Thank you for your concern renovato. I am deeply disheartened with Abbott’s electoral win. His win was however not the landslide he was expecting, being more of a vote against the incumbent government. This means he has not won the hearts of the nation & will therefore have to tread carefully if he wants to gain the true support of the nation.

Abbott was a Rhodes Scholar so he can’t be completely dumb, fortunately for us as he will soon be our PM – the BIG problem is his religious dogma, QUELLE SURPRISE! You should never underestimate your enemy, but neither should he underestimate the LGBTI community’s resolve to achieve equal marriage rights. Abbott and his goons (he and his mates at Uni were known as the goon squad) will be challenged every step of the way.

Frankly I hope he explodes with frustration because he does not have a majority in the Senate. Australians don’t want to return to the 1950′s – there has been a generational change in the locus of power. Watch this space!

12. Australia is becoming the “Russia” of the Pacific. They will now start hemorrhaging tourist money.

1. Sandgroper 7 Sep 2013, 4:11pm

Dumb comment.

2. Graham S. 7 Sep 2013, 6:24pm

I think we need to wait and see. I believe our Aussie friends are a lot more tolerant than the Russian people and Australia is a lot more free and open. If the new PM starts asserting his homophobic views, he won’t find life quite as plain sailing as Putin.

13. This result was totally expected. The Labor party fought among themselves, lurched to the right, and the country rejected them.

I don’t think Rudd’s stance on gay marriage has much to do with the result.

I hope LGBT people raise their voice over the coming years, and a left wing party emerges that puts its principles first and sticks to them.

14. GulliverUK 7 Sep 2013, 3:32pm

Not everything is always in the absolute control of Parliament and government, legal challenges can also bring change. It’s important not to see this as one man stops progress, courts are not the lapdogs of the PM, nor of any particular party. Australia was a founding member of the UN, and is a signatory to the Universal Declaration on Human Rights. Work on getting the last few territories to accept same-sex adoption and recognise partnerships in law, are things which also need to be finalised. Equal marriage is going to happen whoever is in power.

1. Yes Australia did indeed sign the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948, part of which promotes: “reaffirmed faith in fundamental human rights, and dignity and worth of the human person” and committed all member states to promote “universal respect for, and observance of, human rights and fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion.”

It didn’t stop the Australian government stealing Aboriginal children from their families up until the 1970s and placing them in institutions such as missions though.

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 8:08pm

It didn’t bother the British much when they undertook nuclear tests at Maralinga in the South Australian desert. The British government didn’t seek permission from the local aborigines to do the tests, they didn’t even try to find the desert aborigines, they did nothing to protect the aborigines (or the troops) and there has been no compensation. Neither did the Australian government do much to protect the aborigines or troops.

The point is, the stolen generation was an appalling mistake and was inexcusable – so too was the nuclear testing at Maralinga by the British – but this is not a competition, both were bad and resorting to inter-national accusations over shameful histories is pointless. Every nation has dark histories and the real point is how can we remedy the suffering and prevent such abominations from occurring in the future. We all have back yards/consciences of our own to clean up.

2. Chris , you need to study a bit more English history. I suggest watching this film! At least Australians went in large numbers to see this film and to question what happened but you Brits stayed away from the film because you very easily ignore historical facts that are not so pleasant, The stolen generation of aboriginal people was horrendous but so was the policies of the British Government who shipped thousands of children under socalled ‘state care’ to Australia and Canada often unbeknown to their families as well! Many of these poor children were abused and suffered terrible injustices!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oranges_and_Sunshine

15. The satisfaction I gain when we beat Australia in a test match will be much bigger knowing what a bunch of homophobes they are!

1. I don’t think that’s a fair comment. Most Aussies aren’t homophobic, nor against same sex marriage being legalized. Nor do I assume that they voted Abbott because he’s an homophobic prick, although that’s indeed what he is if you ask me, but they voted either because of the broader politics they agree with, or against the broader politics of the opposition that they disagree with.
      And don’t forget about all the homophobic politicians in London recently, or in France. In the US and so on. We can’t judge an entire group of people on a few loud mouthed bigots.

16. Also don’t forget folks, he loves the extremely homophobic Jim Wallace the fallacy of Australia who is against same sex marriage. Little did you guys know, tony will also allow free prayer on the streets. I believe a visit to the Australian Christian lobby on their policies this is what tony has given them.

Goodbye australia…

Ps guys I leave you with this :)

17. All LGBTQ people and their allies should go on a massive general strike and then do their best via grass roots action to make governing Australia as impossible as they can for the new government. On the streets democracy is what is needed – the type of democracy that brought down the soviet regime in eastern Europe – is much more authentic than small cliques of heterosexist gender normative mostly male people running countries by doing deals with each other behind closed doors.

18. Yet another poorly thought out and misleading headline from PinkNews. Labour’s election loss had VERY LITTLE if ANYTHING to do with their support for marriage equality.

19. Bill Cameron 7 Sep 2013, 4:42pm

Rudd may perhaps have genuinely changed his view on gay marriage, but he made his promise to legislate for it knowing full well Labour was likely to lose and that given the opinion polling in Australia this was hardly likely to improve his electoral chances.

As others have mentioned though, most people probably had other things on their minds, not the least of which is rescuing the economy, something neither Rudd, followed by Gillard, followed by Rudd seemed competent to do.

1. very depressed 8 Sep 2013, 3:19am

that is not at all fair. Rudd announced his change of heart months before he replaced Gillard and he made it party policy almost as soon as he became PM. Far from him “knowing full well Labour was likely to lose” – the party and he really did believe that by bringing him back they had a chance to win. That was true right up to the first few days of the campaign. But Rupert Murdoch, who owns 70% of the Australian media, carried out an excoriating all out five week propaganda against Rudd and the ALP. The Liberals did not even have to campaign (and they barely did).

And why did Murdoch want Rudd booted out? Had nothing to do with politics and everything to do with business. Murdoch knew that the National Broadvand Network that Labor was pioneering would at last allow Australians to access Netflix and other similar services and dramatically reduce demand for FOXTel (the only cable network in Australia and it belongs 100% to Murdoch). Abbott said he would abolish the NBN.

1. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 6:43pm

I know, it is truly cringeworthy – people ARE weary of him but wanted to get rid of the dysfunctional Labor Party more. The lesser of two evils for the many that voted for him – which I did not.

2. de Villiers 7 Sep 2013, 7:39pm

Obviously, James!, the nation did not have the benefit of your wisdom. If only they could have known the truth like you.

1. Oh dear did i bitchslap you or something? Your too insignificant to be remembered.

1. Metsän poika 8 Sep 2013, 12:30am

Here’s a bitchslap for you – where did you get your education? English is not my first language, but even I know that ‘Your’ is bad English, it should be ‘you’re’.

2. de Villiers 9 Sep 2013, 2:01pm

Oh dear James! Reading your post – perhaps they did have your wisdom after all.

20. Strange that Australia is so much against new immigrants but the BBC is showing a series called Wanted Down Under in which families from the UK are taken to visit Australia (or New Zealand) and then have to decide whether they want to settle there permanently.

1. Oh come on they just don’t want brown people. They are racist it’s 2013 and it seem racism is more acceptable with ukip and edl treated as legit parties

2. Furious Australian 7 Sep 2013, 6:49pm

These sort of shows are more like propaganda. Australia does need migrants with skill skills that are in demand. The big issue for many (not me) is the irregular arrivals by sea, i.e. refugees. Much of Europe struggles with the same refugee issues.

21. Who in their right mind would cast their vote based on gay marriage??? you people really should realise only far left loonies care about this non-issue. I say this as a gay myself BTW, and no I’m not christian before you ask. I’m just a traditionalist.

22. Yes, we have a new Government here in Australia. But Tony Abbott will not have control of the Senate, so that is a relief. Marriage Equality is one issue but please remember that GLTBI people have many rights here in Australia. There are very strong anti-discrimination laws and also our de-facto relationships are recognised. Australia is a good place to live and work. Comparing Australia to Russia is just a nonsense. We should have done what New Zealand did and push for civil unions first before campaigning for Marriage Equality. Civil unions would have passed on a national level comfortably and given more formal recognition. New Zealand activists have been very, very smart and patient. Governments come and go, just as an Abbott Government will. The Younger generation are every pro-Marriage Equality, so in time it will happen here.

23. Christopher Hobe Morrison 8 Sep 2013, 2:28am

All that and the fact that Tony Abbott is a dirtbag. But that’s okay, it’s an Australian tradition.

1. PS Tony Abbott was born in London, England. Ooops!

24. Jon (Malaysia) 8 Sep 2013, 5:58am

And Australia drops back into the dark ages. My sincere condolences.

1. And Malaysia continues to be a repressive and undemocratic Islamic country!

25. Jock S. Trap 8 Sep 2013, 9:51am

The nasty Julia Gillard is really to blame for Labor’s loss and the hopes for the LGBT community that things would get better.

I find it very sad that no doubt the Australian government has problem taking taxes equally from it’s citizens but will promote the unfair lack of equality in the treatment of it’s LGBT citizens who clearly pay via taxes for services the state will not allow them to use.

26. white trash that used to move from the u.k. to rhodesia and south africa now go to australia. what do you expect?