Vatican denies widespread reports that Pope called gay student to say being gay ‘doesn’t matter’

1. PeterinSydney 6 Sep 2013, 12:39pm

Wouldn’t the gay hating bishops hate that, actually I bet Frances did it.

1. The Bishop 7 Sep 2013, 11:34pm

Maybe the call was from God, rather than the Pope.

2. I would dismiss this out of hand, except this is the second story like this that I have read today (the other being about the Pope contacting a single pregnant woman).

Is it possible he said this? I suppose. Does it matter? Not especially, since it doesn’t undo generations of bad acts against LGBT people, nor excuse the culture of bigotry the church helped perpetuate. And even if real, the wheels of the Vatican spinning to deny it raise even bigger questions (such as does this mean that those in actual power see their cash cow of acceptable bigotry being threatened?)

3. The student sounds sincere in his beliefs, if he’s a believing Catholic, I doubt he’d lie about a conversation he had with the Pope. Given what the Pope means and represents to his religion.
    So either he misunderstood, or the Vatican’s lying. And considering the Vatican’s track record, I’ll believe the one student over that paedophile defending church.
    I for one believe the Pope said what was claimed here. And thus my opinion of thus Pope has gone up in my estimation.
    That’s not saying much though, considering he couldn’t have gone any lower down.
    I’m sure it must have meant the world to this boy to hear his Pope say that his sexuality doesn’t matter, that it doesn’t define him. Something obviously true to most sane folk, but something that apparently the church still can’t accept.

1. Drats, a few typos in that. It’s a shame we can’t edit/erase posts once they’re sent.

4. BlokeToys 6 Sep 2013, 1:27pm

I actually believe that this is plausible, when he became Pope it was common discussion that he was a “modernist” and threatened the dinosaurs of the Vatican and its oligarchy.

He is, no doubt, a conflicted man – but then any half decent religious crazy should be, because there is a natural battle in their brains between fact and fiction, right and “tradition”, common sense and outright nonsense. Any Human brain should exhibit confusion when trying to come to terms with its own contradictions.

I think it’s possible that he did make that call (and others), and the oligarchy is desperate to deny it because they want their figurehead to remain a despot.

We might not agree with many of the things he’s said in the past, and we might all agree that the entire notion of the Pope and his enclave is outdated and ridiculous, but we should knowledge that this Pope is seemingly different and more modern than any of his predecessors. That can only be a good thing.

1. David Myers 8 Sep 2013, 9:36am

I agree with you. But if the “vatican” has to deny this, it could signal a battle going on between reformist forces (including the Pope) and reactionary conservative forces within the church. I hope he isn’t assassinated by those forces for upsetting their apple cart to quickly and too soon.

5. Awww, I hope the origina story was true and the rebuttal is the lie. It was kind of uplifting to think the Pope had called the kid – and to be fair his words as quoted were as far as the Pope could go without violating dogma so i’m gonna pretend its still true and enjoy the rest of my day :o)

6. It’s not clear whether the Pope actually called this guy – or whether he called him but did not say exactly what is reported. Or is something lost in translation? It doesn’t add up.

Some of what he is reported to have said is very believable – and I have heard priests say to me that being good is more important than worrying too much about being gay. (Actually I dont worry much!)

I think the important change about Francis that is emerging is that he is instinctively a pastoral pope. He deals with the human before him rather than sitting in a marble mausoleum in Rome and constructing ideas devoid of human experience. That’s probably what has the eunuchs in the Curia in such skirt-flap.

7. Barry William Teske 6 Sep 2013, 3:29pm

So much double speak, he said he said, and other sanctimonious gesture coming from those people these days.
    Pity that.
    Could have truly been a force for good.
    Instead, they take the 15 minute card.
    Moving along with my life now.
    Stay out of my way.

8. Frankly, I don’t really care if it’s true or not. However, if it IS, it means there’s been a shift in attitude at the vatican. If it isn’t true, it serves to cast doubt on what’s going on within the organisation. Either way, it’s good news for us …

9. who cares….

10. Bud Clark 6 Sep 2013, 4:41pm

I hope it IS true. It SOUNDS like the kind of thing Pope Francis would do.

Those who say the Church cannot change its theology of marriage had best remember that Pope Paul VI came within an INCH of sanctioning the use of artificial birth control, only to be thwarted by the anonymous conservative “gnomes of the Vatican.”

It used to be that if one died unshriven after eating meat on Friday, that was a one-way express ticket to hell.

Now it’s not.

The Church can change what the Church WANTS to change.

11. To quote Sir Humphrey Appleby:

“Never believe anything until it is officially denied” ;-)

12. ‘We’re back. ‘The incredibly horrid and twisted people who are still unaccountably in charge of the catholic church’