US: New Jersey Senate nominee: It’s funny when people question if I’m gay and I say ‘so what if I am?’

1. The subtext of the Rethuglicans comments isn’t exactly the Enigma Code – Does he actually think that he is fooling anyone with his thinly veiled assertions to what he considers appropriate male behaviour?

Booker has received acclaim in the past for putting his money where his mouth is – most notably living on SNAP (food stamps) for a period of time and recording the difficulty involved in general, and in particular if a person is a vegetarian, and does not want to eat high calorie but poor nutrition junk.

Should Booker come out if he is LGBT? Not up to me to say. Unless someone is doing demonstrable harm to LGBT people, it’s a journey we all have a right to make in our own time, and my hopes for more people to be out don’t transfer to others

And, let’s be honest, the Republican party is dying a slow death as its key demographic (angry white heterosexual “christian” male) becomes evermore disempowered and outnumbered – And nothing of value will be lost when it dies for good.

1. Beelzeebub 28 Aug 2013, 9:54pm

Bear in mind that “Angry White Heterosexual Christian nut job males” have guns.

You speak intelligently and empathetical..

The Republicans consist mainly of 2nd and 3rd generation rich Christian guys and gals who will defend that by educating there lower orders in the same diatribe.

I would not go to the Ulcerated Sphincter of Arse if my life depended on it.

Meanwhile yet again these idiots and now democrats are inciting war and now partnering with the Terrorists that caused 9/11. 7/7 etc in the pending Syria mess.

I,m to old to give a bollocks as I’ve seen it all before and it’s all very tiresome and predictable.

A posturing 0.1% of so called self appointed elites in every country f**ing everything up for everyone else.

Personally I would nuke the Middle East of the face of the planet as they are clearly incapable of operating with the rest of us.

1. Isn’t ‘nuking’ the Middle East exactly what the angry white heterosexual Christian nut job males want to do?

2. PLEASE, SIGN TO SUPPORT EQUAL MARRIAGE IN ROMANIA
    Help: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

3. Marcwebbo3 28 Aug 2013, 8:48pm

Cor!…..well he would get my vote

4. Have a look at this guy (Booker)’s twitter account. People tweet him saying something’s wrong in their neighbourhood and he tweets back saying stuff like “OK, I’ll get that sorted.” He seems to be a lot more in touch with most people than other politicians.

5. He should come out (as either gay, or straight, or bi).

He might wish to live in a perfect world where these things don’t matter.

But it’s not a perfect world, and it seems shifty to refuse to confirm his sexual orientation.

I don’t care what he is, but I wouldn’t vote for a closet case – either gay or straight.

1. Christopher 28 Aug 2013, 11:49pm

He should stay quiet on principle, his sexual orientation isn’t the subject in this senate campaign, there are enough distractions already.

2. Maybe he’s Bi?… maybe he’s Maybelline?

I think it’s more interesting that Booker is not homophobic and that he is putting across the message that he doesn’t care what sexual orientation people think he himself is and that sexual orientation shouldn’t matter anyway, quite right too.

You can be sure that someone somewhere will be digging to dish the dirt on him.
      OMG!… he’s Straight.
      OMG!… he’s Bi.
      OMG!… he’s Gay!

1. There is the possibility he is asexual..

3. Jock S. Trap 29 Aug 2013, 11:15am

Surely that’s the point. It shouldn’t matter. People feel the need to judge and whether he’s Gay, Straight or Bi doesn’t come into it.

He’s going for a Senate vote not a sexuality one.

Sure come out after but don’t give people a reason to be homophobic over the best person for the job.

6. St Sebastian, the humanitarian 29 Aug 2013, 3:14am

I’m glad his sexuality is an enigma, it is a personal and private matter and the truth is his personal gift to whom-so-ever he pleases to tell.

He is a politician and is to be judged on his acts and words that are relevant to his job, i.e. his sexuality is as irrelevant as any other politician. My sexuality is nobody else’s business, especially as I don’t engage in any non-consenting sexual behaviour and I don’t hide any truth from those who might have a right to know i.e. intimate/sexual partners.

7. ““I have a more peculiar fetish,” Lonegan said. “I like a good Scotch and a cigar. That’s my fetish but we’ll just compare the two.””

Why doesn’t Lonegan just go compare willies with Booker? … then he could really see who measures up as more of a man.

1. I find that line of Lonegan’s, with its cod-modesty covering up an allegiance to the most grossly obvious aspirational US status symbols, utterly revolting. Unfortunately, Lonegan knows his audience well I suspect.

1. Totally, and it may work untill Lonegan is discovered in a motorway rest room stall being serviced by a trucker.

2. I don’t think his symbols were intended as markers of ‘asperation’ so much as they were ‘red blooded hetro USA’.
        Crude dogwhistle politics.
        For me they’re markers of early emphacema and liver disease. Perhaps he should slap that on his campaign poster.
        And Freud would have something to say about the cigar…

1. It’s certainly crude, and vulgar on every level, but I still think he’s pandering to status aspirations – if he just wanted to single out his ‘red-blooded US hetero’ credentials he could as easily have said his fetishes were for burgers and Coors.

It’s also quite funny that this Lonegan buffoon also said “As a guy, I personally like being a guy”; he clearly doesn’t realise most gay men do too, to the extent of fancying sex with others of the same. But I suppose Lonegan is out to appeal to the lowest common denominator, wherein the idea that gay men aren’t really men prevails.

2. Yes, let’s compare the two…

He’s got nice hands and feet; you smell like a pub carpet.

8. Booker’s opponent seems creepy to me. Insecure creepy.

9. Don’t try to tell me this Mayor Steve Lonegan is not wearing hair-piece, just check out this photo of him.

1. And not a very good one at that.

2. Absolutely hilarious picture, and as David says – ‘not a very good one’.

Also made me think why Lonegan isn’t he being honest about his baldness. Why didn’t he mention his fetish for toupées. Hypocrite much!

10. I’m going to guess that if his republican opponent says he doesn’t care about Booker’s “lifestyle”, then he actually very much does. That word is rarely used in an accepting way.

1. Rarely? In the context of sexuality, even if by implication, never!

11. Paul Essex/London 29 Aug 2013, 4:22pm

“I have a more peculiar fetish,” Lonegan said. “I like a good Scotch and a cigar. That’s my fetish…”

So did Clinton mate and look where that got him.