Gay rapper to Macklemore: ‘Gay people don’t care about your video about gay people’

1. Jealous much?

1. I agree. Le1F just seems to be bitching and moaning because he’s far less successful (both commercially and critically) than Macklemore. The claim that Macklemore plagiarised one of his songs is dubious at best, and Le1F’s assertion that “gay people don’t care about your video about gay people” is just hypocritical. Since when was he the spokesperson for the world’s gay population ? Oh wait, he’s not.

2. Well. That escalated quickly.

3. Marcwebbo3 28 Aug 2013, 5:03pm

Taken out of context my arse….his surname should be changed to Dork!

4. Martyn Adams 28 Aug 2013, 5:10pm

I think this ‘gay rapper’ should speak on his own behalf and not think he can speak for the gay community as a whole. Why can’t he be a rapper rather than ‘gay rapper’ or would that spoil his niche market and perhaps his bank balance? #justsaying

5. PR stunt nothing more, the idiot just wants exposure as next to nobody has heard of him..

1. GulliverUK 28 Aug 2013, 7:26pm

Perhaps that exposes the homophobia of the mainstream press in not covering some artists because they are gay (I don’t know, I’m just asking), or that the LGBT media don’t make enough efforts to explore LGBT artists and talent.

If it’s a PR stunt, it worked for me, because I’ll now go and see some of his videos on Youtube and think about gay artists who might not be getting the sort of recognition and changes/opportunity they deserve – but I’ll give you a thumbs up for your point, even if you could have put it a bit more kindly. btw, someone below hadn’t heard of Macklemore – and neither had I about 2 months ago, but certainly by this point I had. If fact I tweeted links to the video many weeks ago.

6. What makes Le1F think that he can speak for the entire gay community ? In contrast to what he thinks, some of us appreciate that Macklemore actually took a risk (both to his commercial viability and hip hop reputation) by writing a song like “Same Love.” He went out of his way to stand up for our civil rights, and I don’t like to see him vilified for that.

Seems to me that Le1F’s just bitter and jealous that he’s nowhere near as successful. His claim that Macklemore plagiarized one of his songs is dubious at best; sure, they sound slightly alike, but so do so many songs that happen to be in the same genre… Bitch just jealous.

7. David Walsh 28 Aug 2013, 5:16pm

Rupert Everett, ‘no fems’, that gay columnist for the Daily Mail who’s against same-sex marriage, Michelle Shocked, now this guy.

It’s all internalized homophobia to make person saying it appear more masculine or righteous. It’s as obvious as anything.

8. I have not heard of either artist to be honest.

9. I’m gay. I care. I guess this rapper who’s name includes numbers (what’s that about?!) is wrong.

10. to be honest, I see his point. There are, if you follow gay blogs, a whole lot of gay artists singing songs about gay experiences and homophobia – and they’re largely derided as “niche” “political” or “identity politics”; but straight artists like Macklemore (or Pink or Katy Perry – let’s face it, there’s no shortage and for a time it was the in thing for every straight singer to have an anthem) get far more recognition for it

1. true, but blame the music industry for being (as usual) years behind the times and still not accepting LGBT musicians, don’t blame straight musicians for speaking out for LGBT rights – personally I’m happy to have their support. Maybe in Western Europe where gay rights are mainstream it’s not such a big deal anymore, but American & British music is big everywhere and in places like Russia these days it may well be the case that the only pro-gay voice people are even hearing comes from the likes of Macklemore or Lady Gaga.

2. Christopher 28 Aug 2013, 11:52pm

Attacking an artist is not the answer.

11. GulliverUK 28 Aug 2013, 7:18pm

It’s a great video, in fact I was watching it again in the early hours, and I think it’s very powerful and and very positive. What Le1F about proceeds might be right but its effect will be far greater than the sums of money the record company make from it. If we could just buy freedom with money we would find a way, you have to open eyes and get people thinking about issues they just don’t really spend any time thinking about. If the video gets people thinking then that is progress.

What he should probably be doing also is condemning Queen Ifrica for her homophobic hate and contrasting the two. We need a bit more love of positivity in the world ! :)

12. The music industry is a popularity contest. Always has been. Always will be. If you can’t stand the heat….
    Support from straight mainstream artists is welcome and essential.

13. Christopher 28 Aug 2013, 11:51pm

Wow, this guys is a racist.. Jeez.

14. Colin (London) 29 Aug 2013, 8:55am

No no no….I think it was progress ie straight guy backs Human Rights…It’s not all about him. It was fantastic art and it questions the straight which is often anti gay.

Sorry but he is one gay rapper and well done to him but surely we are mature enough to welcome Macklemore who will influence many straight people. To me thats the point.

15. Unknown jealous rap artist attacks successful rap artist over a message of equality… pathetic and childish.

Maybe if Le1F concentrated more on his art (and maybe chose a Human name that sounds less like a model of toaster) and less on attacking successful people in the industry with far more fans and support, he’d be where Macklemore is right now?

1. Bloke Toys,

Not been funny, but like I said earlier. I have never heard of either of these artists so I did not know that Macklemore was famous. I have started to look at clips on Youtube and on these artists on Bandcamp. There appears to be more Straight / Gay Rap Artists on Bandcamp as well so Macklemore and Le1F are jus a drop in the ocean.

16. Barry William Teske 30 Aug 2013, 12:47am

lol…
    I say never P.R. on the cheap yo skate.
    Especially if your da rapper who rhymes the hate.
    Silly fool, you can’t escape.
    Loves all mighty power to lynch your bait!

And thats a rap!
    Peace Y’all
    Love U Mack!

17. Who????? Well…no one heard of you before, you are just jealous….

18. who even is this man…
    anyhow, I care, they are great songs.. but if he actually means the videos.. i haven;t watched them..

19. “gay people don’t care about your video about gay people”

I think the song is completely genuine. how ridiculous to suggest he released it solely to make money or as a PR stunt. If the song or the video helped one person who was questioning their sexuality, or was in the closet and feeling they are on their own, by showing them that there is support out there, then that’s brilliant (and i’m sure it has helped a lot more than one person)

to me its an equivalent to the “it gets better project”

20. Never heard of this douchebag before now, and he definitely doesn’t speak for me. “Same Love” is a beautiful song that has caught a lot of people’s attention and delivered a beautiful message on my behalf and on behalf of Equality.