Top public school appoints first ever openly gay head boy

1. “Emery used his new position, which begins at the start of the new term, to criticise state schools and academies which have been accused of reviving the extremely controversial Section 28 – which banned the “promotion” of homosexuality in schools.”

Luckily you don’t get any of that in the private sector, eh.

I presume that was a bit of selective quoting. I hope so anyway.

I’m glad for him and it’s good news, but are we going to get one of these every time it happens in every school, or is this a bit of a froth piece for a highly exclusive school?

2. Strongfemme 27 Aug 2013, 7:42pm

“The first openly gay head boy has been appointed by a top British public school, who has already used his position to criticise recent revelations that some academies have been operating with policies resembling Section 28.” “He was a very popular choice — the rugby players voted for him along with many others —

In my view, Will Emery’s qualities will continue to serve him both as a player and as a positive role model for others of all sexual orientation.”
    Good on you Will

3. Oh the rugby players voted for him, did they? Are rugby players not allowed to be gay or gay-friendly? Perhaps we should introduce headmaster to Gareth Thomas or Ben Cohen

1. Most teenage tribes aren’t known for being inclusive. I think it’s heartening that teenage rugby players are indifferent to individual sexuality now – it certainly would have been unlikely to be the case even a few years ago.

1. Oh I agree. It was just the way the headmaster put it annoyed me, as if it were a given that rugby players would be homophobic.

1. It probably came as a surprise to him – it would to me too, to be honest!

1. Ha ha true

4. I wish emery and his school all the best. It seems he was voted for on merit, and nothing to do with his sexuality.

The most telling part of this article are the headmasters comment

‘The headmaster of the school, Richard Cairns said that students aged 13-18 saw sexuality as a “so-what” issue’

I think this is now pretty true throughout our society. And not just to the 13-18 age group, as we saw during the SSM debate. Most of those opposed where over 50 whilst most in favour where younger.

There are kids, however who are brought up in an extremely religious or homophobic environment. Bringing up kids like that is to my mind a form of ‘Child abuse’.

5. Guglielmo Marinaro 27 Aug 2013, 8:28pm

“Bringing up kids like that is to my mind a form of ‘Child abuse’.”

Yes, indeed, and not to your mind alone, but to the mind of every right-thinking person.

6. This is a very pleasing development.

7. de Villiers 27 Aug 2013, 9:46pm

I was looking at this school for my son – it is very good news.

8. I’d loke to see extra emphasis on LGBTIQ acceptance and general diversity education in English public schools particularly, as these are the very places where tomorrow’s dictators tend to study.

9. This is great news. It’s so nice to see the younger generation are getting more accepting. Even in the 90s/00s being gay was social suicide and made you liable for isolation and bullying; nice to see things are picking up.

Now get some damn education going!

10. I meant to add, well done Will!

11. Excellent news – and how especially fortunate it is to be a gay teenager in this country now by comparison with Russia (and, to be fair, most other countries too).

1. de Villiers 28 Aug 2013, 8:19pm

I agree – it is decades ahead of France.

2. de Villiers 28 Aug 2013, 8:21pm

I agree – it is decades ahead of France.

12. Gay head boy? There’s got to be a joke in there somewhere :)

1. There definitely is…however I think it is the elephant in the room and we’re supposed to ignore it :)

1. Oh! thanks for the insight

13. Umm he’s gay, why is it such a big deal, articles like this make being gay a big thing! If we ourselves treat it as a normal then others will too!

1. I don’t think we’ve progressed to that point yet. We still very much need to be vocal & political about sexuality in order to make people more aware of their prejudices torward the LGBT+ community & hopefully foster greater tolerance. Particularly in the developing world. I agree that it’s a bit IRONIC but ultimately all activism aims to build a society where sexuality/race/gender etc are non-issues by making them an issue . .

2. Yeah, I think that’s part of what took me aback with this story. It’s great that being gay was no impediment to his achievement (although I don’t go for any of that “head boy” stuff myself, it’s always struck me as rather stuffy and antiquated, like schools in general). But how many such achievements have already been made by students in state schools? Does anyone even know? Would they always be accompanied by effectively press releases like this? Should they?

I think it was that combined with the (admittedly quite possibly selectively quoted) remarks about homophobia in state schools which made me question the worth of this story. Nevertheless, good luck to him.

3. Yes, but if he’s the very first such example it’s hardly ‘normal’ yet, is it?

1. How do you know he’s the first?

4. Derek Williams 10 Jan, 5:15pm

But if we don’t tell anyone, how will they know?

14. I was so proud when my son won a scholarship to this outstanding school. I’m doubly so now. Congratulations to Will Emery, and to Brighton College and its enlightened students.

15. …..we need more of this sort of thing—people need really educating about human issues, not just who reigned 500 years ago! Someone who can get all messages across–gay men and women are just as brainy as anybody else but they are most definitely more sensitive.

16. Derek Williams 10 Jan, 5:14pm

This courageous lad has a promising future as a positive role model for LGBT youth. I wish him well.