Home of Russian LGBT activist Nikolai Alekseyev raided by police

1. Very disturbing. The similarities between this sort of action and that of the Nazi’s pre-WWII is very worrying. We ignore the plight of gay Russians at our peril – just as we ignored the plight of Germany’s Jews under Hitler. Do we learn NOTHING from history …?

2. “And so it begins……….”

3. what a backward load of turnips these people are.

Sad that someone is being raided just for being gay

1. He was being raided for “offending” Yelena Mizulina on Twitter. A crime that is apparently punishable by a fine of up to 40,000 rubles (over $1,200) or community service.
      While the “offense” was made in regards to Mizulina’s position on homosexuality, homosexuality itself wasn’t the official motivating factor behind the raid.

4. Michael Petrelis 27 Aug 2013, 7:07pm

It was never independently verified that he was kidnapped and held for three days by Russian security forces, as he tried to board a Swiss Air flight. Let’s see some proof his apartment was truly visited by the police. Nikolai is quite the diva and drama queen.

1. David Waite 27 Aug 2013, 7:34pm

“It was never independently verified that he wasyou weren’t kidnapped and held for three days by Russian security forces…” There may well be other explanations for your apparent cerebral lavage.

5. Helge Vladimir Tiller 27 Aug 2013, 7:07pm

Again this Russian anti-gay fascism has showed its real face. Please !- more protests from European countries , politicians and organizations. Also from YOU and ME ! That’s important.

6. Мне интересно – в 2009 году Сейм Литвии принял закон “О защите детей от пропаганды гомосексуализма”.
    И все дружно промолчали, а ведь Литва – страна Европейского Союза.
    Тот же самый закон приняла Россия и все возбудились и устроили истерику. хотя Россия никакого отношения к ЕС не имеет.
    Откуда это лицемерие?

1. I’m wondering – in 2009, the Lithuanian Seimas adopted the Law “On protection of children from homosexual propaganda.”
      And all together silent, and after Lithuania – the country of the European Union.
      The same law adopted Russia and all excited and had a tantrum. Although Russia is no relation to the EU has not.
      Where is the hypocrisy?

1. ah, the joys of using google translator

2. Since you have already writen this propaganda garbage in another thread I will give you the same reply _ and as the man said TWO Wrongs do not a right make.

What you state is not in fact correct. Lithuania does not have a good record on gay rights and has lots of bigots, attempting to pass discriminatory laws which fall foul of the European Charter, but the law you mention does not exist. Those that do, come nowhere near to the Russian antigay laws recently enacted either in effect or ferocity and Lithuania does have anti-discrimination laws which are enforced. They have a long way to go to realise gay equality however, but do not compare to Russia.

7. From the report:
    On 17 August [Nikolai Alekseyev] tweeted: “Western media has no respect for Russia and its people and LGBT population included. What they report about Sochi and gay propaganda is sham. All Western media want to hear from me that Russia is shit and I don’t want to take part in this hypocrisy. So all interviews are over!”

I’m missing what he’s getting at here? Is it that on the one hand he is fighting for LGBT rights in his country, yet at the same time intensely loyal to the same entity that oppressing him and LGBT people.

It sounds like while he wants to improve things he’s also suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome.

8. “First they came for the communists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t
    a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t
    a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t
    a trade unionist.

Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak for me.”

“First they came …”, speech by Martin Niemöller

9. This combined with the siezing of the painting is so Nazi Germany it’s unreal. I literally feel like I’m watching V for Vendetta or something.

This is an intimidation tactic, make no mistake; it’s designed to send a message accross Russia and beyond.

10. Velvet Steele 28 Aug 2013, 8:11pm

YES and so it begins! The “clean up” before the games. Where are the concentration camps they are going to send them to?

11. William Courson 31 Aug 2013, 4:03pm

There is little to no oubt in my mind – as I suspect there is none in the minds of anyone who truly knows and understands the Putin administration and the lengths it will go to in order to curtail dissent – that Mr. Alekseyev’s recent pronouncements of his “resignation” from the LGBT movement were either fabricated or coerced. I do not believe for an instant that he is the willing author of such pronouncments as he is credited with, e.g., threatening to withdraw pending actions against the Russian government form the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights. Lies and fabrications, in my humble opinion. This is totally characteristic of Mr. Putin and company.

12. William Courson 31 Aug 2013, 11:27pm

Anyone – I repeat, anyone – who understands the character of the Putin regime and its particularly nasty variety of homophobia can have no doubt that the reports of Mr. Alekseev’s “resignation from the LGBT movement” and most especially the reports circulated about his withdrawing of previously filed complaints against the Russian government from the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights must know intuitively that the reports were either fabricated and never issued from Mr. Alekseev or were coerced.

For heaven’s sake, the country is Russia, its President is Vladimir Putin, and its policy (if not its state ideology) is the suppression of dissent: sexual, political, cultural and spiritual.

The truth of this matter is painfully evident, and I am certain Mr. Alekseev is the blameless victim of a vicious Russian government-organized hoax or the victim of vicious suppression and coercion.

These are the people who invented “disinformation” and they are very, very good at it.