Prison Break star Wentworth Miller comes out as gay and declines Russian film premiere

1. Didn’t he deny being gay a few years back? I lose track…

1. I thought he came out a few years ago..
      You are right tho’ it is hard to keep up with it all

1. Regardless his letter and stance are both commendable.

2. Michael Stevens 22 Aug 2013, 2:02am

Yes he did deny it at one stage early on when Prisonbreak was getting big – but I think he slowly opened up after. A shame he felt the need to hide back then – great he’s taking this stance now.

1. Mark De Coste 22 Aug 2013, 4:51am

We’re all a bit confused from time to time.
          At least he has come out!
          Bravo…
          And Russia????
          More, the countries that treat homosexuality
          Much more severely!!!

2. err, apart from making a factual point not sure how is it relevant to this story. he hasn’t made any derogatory marks about lgbt, so its not like he is a hypocrite or a bigot

2. I’ve knocked a few out over this man.

This is great news.

It’s wonderful that Tesco has an offer on Kleenex at the moment, I’m gonna need it.

1. I feel that. My life just got 100 times better.

2. Chris it might be cheaper for you in the long term if you just bought the company. :)

I do agree with the sentiment tho’

3. Classy

4. Thanks for lowering the tone of this discussion by lettting us all know about your particular wanking fodder. Shame you couldn’t have kept that to yourself.

1. And +25. Sometimes it’s like being in a sewer

1. If James! doesn’t like what you’ve said then you must be doing something right, Chris!

1. And you are?

2. That’s the problem Georgie, I can’t keep things to myself. I have to let things out, in every sense.

3. Thank You Mr. Miller.

4. MarKo Hubert 22 Aug 2013, 12:35am

Good for him. I’m proud of those artists, I wish I had succeed in my artistic dream, I would have been one of them.

5. GingerlyColors 22 Aug 2013, 12:47am

Great to see you join us Wentworth.
    Wentworth to me is a bit of a quirky name. I have always associated it with the Australian womens’ prison in ‘Prisoner Cell Block H’ and not just Fox Creek.
    Fans of the cult Australian prison soap which ran for 692 episodes between 1979 and 1986 should check out the re-imagined series, ‘Wentworth Prison’ which will run for ten episodes from Wednesday, 28th September on Channel 5. It has already been a hit in Australia and a second series has already been commissioned which will introduce a new version of the Lesbian prison officer, Joan ‘The Freak’ Ferguson.

1. GingerlyColors 22 Aug 2013, 5:27am

Sorry I meant 28th August.

6. Well done Wentworth. What a shame our own governments don’t have the same courage!

7. Justusboyz 22 Aug 2013, 1:37am

Good Boy , certainly cheered me up;)

8. I have always been fascinated by Wentworth Miller, in part because his roles are about well crafted and played characters opposed to the actor who plays them. Consequently his out of the lime light celebrity/personality always made him unique in my perception.

He has not disappointed me in any way as an person, an actor or humanitarian. I am sure his revelation of being gay has surprised many as it did me! he is clearly a man of commendable principle and role model to many. His letter said all that needed to be said articulately.

I hope this personal revelation will shock many people, no one should be identified by stereo type and perhaps he amongst others by coming out help shatter this myth. His coming out was not to hype his sexuality, but to speak out on personal principal about the injustices of LGBT people and Russians.

Best wishes for continued success, and admiration of courage to self revelation for the betterment of your fellow man/woman in the face of adversity

9. Jock S. Trap 22 Aug 2013, 7:07am

I thought he came out years ago… didn’t he?

It certainly been not secret he’s Gay.

10. Oohh Russia, you thought it was going to be easy…But declaring war on basic universal human rights didn’t turn out to be as easy as you thought, didn’t it ?

11. A great letter, well written and precise.

Good on you Mr Miller and welcome to the world of the out and proud gay man.

12. Yay! We “recruited” another big name!*

How is the Brad Pitt team doing to recruit their target?

*Russian logic

13. That’s the way tome come out. In casual conversation no drama no big deal its a fact of life. Btw he is one sexy dude

14. St Sebastian, the humanitarian 22 Aug 2013, 10:00am

Perhaps we should consider the social environment and financial/career consequences when gay people have to make a decision about coming out publicly. What is not excusable is if they make disparaging comments about gays whilst still in the closet.

1. If you’re in an enviroment where you have to hide your sexuality you should think about changing

15. He’s gay :-o Damn the things I would like to do with him!!!

Well done Wentworth on taking a stance!

16. What a wonderful and straightforward response!

As for him having hidden it before, I don’t think it’s right for people to judge. We still have a movie industry that remains slightly homophobic for practical and monetary reasons, although that is now changing.

If you had spent a decade working toward becoming an actor, but you knew that studios were looking for a – straight – heart-throb for lead roles, it would make sense to not come out until your career was stable and you had a fan base.

The same thing happens with boy bands. They have to pander to the audiences expectations or risk destroying their careers.

I don’t like it, but it’s a reality, and I think people should get off their soap box about it. Let people decide for themselves when it’s a good time to come out. I think this was a great time for him.

I imagine everything he’s appeared in will now see a boost in sales from us gay fans! lol

1. Some gay people are never satisfied literally. I knew someone who thought he had to become HIV + before he would be accepted as 100% gay. I saw who made you god of gays it’s its not good enough for you then go fak yourself. I have more respect for went worth for the classy way he came out. Cool and masculine with no histrionics.

1. …er……right….just keep taking the tablets! In fact check the dose is right!

17. let me guess, it wont be reported in russian media

well done to him

18. William Hope 22 Aug 2013, 12:59pm

Great News indeed, a brave attractive lovely man…

19. We shouldn’t have to come out – or not come out.

So the way in which he reveals his sexual orientation – by way of explanation for his stance – is exactly as it should be.

We don’t need to justify who we are, but we have every right to justify our actions.

20. Glenn Barker 20 Sep 2013, 11:35am

Quote: “In 2012 I joined a men’s group called the ManKind Project, which is a men’s group for all men, and was introduced to the still foreign and potentially threatening concepts of us … and we … the idea of brotherhood, sisterhood, and community. And it was via that community that I became a member and a proud supporter of the Human Rights Campaign.” ~Wentworth Miller