Sweden: Olympic Committee bans political protests against anti-gay legislation at Sochi Olympics

1. It’s amazing how organizations and countries are circling the wagons to protect Russia now.

It’s pretty clear where gay people stand when the rubber hits the road. When it comes right down to it the Powers that be will side with injustice and fascist, homophobic despots over the gay community.

We’ve still got a LOOOOOOONG way to go! I’m afraid that a lot of people were under the mistaken impression that once we win marriage equality we will have arrived, equality and justice will have been achieved and we can stop fighting and get on with living. The fact is, when it comes to international GLBT rights, the fight has just begun.

1. Joelle V. Jennings 20 Aug 2013, 11:15pm

I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do… http://xurl.es/kw2me

1. David Myers 21 Aug 2013, 9:37am

Go away troll! Quit hijacking threads on human rights with your illegal pyramid scams!

2. Can I now say “told you so”?

I’ve been saying for weeks that the IOC would use bullying tactics to silence opinions and demonstrations, and this is not in any small part because so many on the IOC are religious, right-wing, very wealthy or have special interests in Russia.

Take a look at numerous people on the IOC list and you’ll see why we have this problem.

And, someone should remind this imbecile that it was the IOC who arranged for North and South Korean athletes to hold hands – and yet it gives us this bullsh*t about not being political?

The guy needs a smack around the head with a large wet fish.

3. Its infuriating the world is rallying around after Russia. This is a clear gag on freedom and liberty and if that is what the Olympic movement is all about now, then I don’t want to be part of it and I don’t know who would. I will not be watching any of the Winter Olympics.

4. “He went onto say that athletes could hold whatever views they like but “we can’t have athletes using sporting arenas to demonstrate these perceptions.””

But no mention of those participants who express homophobic political opinions, as was the case with that Russian athlete. Presumably, she is not in danger of being disqualified.

5. What a coward!……………………………. (remember the Jews and blacks in South Africa)

6. How many times must we repeat that this is not about politics, but about universal idea of basic human dignity !?

7. Let’s hope Swedish athletes realise that human rights are more important. Would be good to see them boycott the games altogether.

8. Helge Vladimir Tiller 20 Aug 2013, 4:10pm

F— you,Lindeberg ! Most people in Sweden, an absolute majority, oppose to your saying. Period !

9. Jock S. Trap 20 Aug 2013, 4:17pm

Sorry but Human Rights shouldn’t come under the ‘political’ banner.

To make it so is insulting, degrading and quite frankly a cope out of doing something!

10. jonnielondon 20 Aug 2013, 4:19pm

So, without any other protest options for athletes, unless they are willing to protest only to be disqualified, the only other option is a full-on boycott…I’m afraid this is what it’s coming to! Time to start demanding this of our national oc’s, our sports ministers and prime ministers!

1. David Myers 21 Aug 2013, 9:41am

The IOC can’t stop spectators – neither can the Russian government. Wear the rainbow colors at Sochi! And if enough athletes challenge the IOC – especially medal winners it will force the IOC to not enforce this dictum or they will make a mockery of the entire Olympics.

11. “He went onto say that athletes could hold whatever views they like but “we can’t have athletes using sporting arenas to demonstrate these perceptions.””

Then the sports should not take place in countries where, for example, gay or black cannot go. It is the host nation that has made the political statement. It is IoC that has turned a blind eye, much as in Hitler’s olympics.

12. Stefan Lindeberg’s attitude to discrimination against gay and lesbian athletes engendered by the Sochi games is not at all acceptable for an EU nation.
    This is a blatant violation of human rights, and the IOC cannot even uphold its own charter. I’m disgusted.

13. Clearly IOC self regulation on Human rights doesn’t seem to be working very well, if at all. Perhaps its time for legislation in defence of Human rights tied to sporting events. Maybe it could be called the ‘Human Rights (Sporting Events) Act. If self regulation doesn’t work then this will become absolutely necessary into the future. “Nothing’ is not an option – Do something”.

A Human Rights ( Sporting Events ) Act [ or Directive at EU level ] is needed into the future which will ensure that Major sporting events are located ONLY where a minimum standard of Human rights protection and defence Legislation is adopted and enforced in law prior to the awarding of any Sporting Event. The legal precedent for this already exists across a wide range of other spheres including Technology sales, Knowledge sharing, International Aid spending etc., – Yes — A Human Rights ( Sporting Events ) Act — because Self Regulation by Sporting Bodies is just not working.

14. theyre tying themselves in knots with this. The russian laws are so loose that they cover just about anything they dont like the look of. What happens if a figure skater looks a bit gay , what if Clare Balding is commentating , is that seen as a political statement ? What if an athlete is in a same sex marriage , are they to be seen as making a political statement ? The IOC is reacting stupidly to stupid laws. Move the games ASAP

15. The hypocrisy is staggering.

16. It’s true this is no Holocaust. Yet. But one death, one beating, one suicide is one too many and those who are asking to respect the Russian law (IOC to name one) have got blood in their hands. Would Hitler have been right when just a handful of Jews had been exterminated? Cos this is no different. How many gay deaths will it make this law worthy of being respected? It’s 2013 and I’m ashamed of those who don’t oppose the law as strongly as they possibly can.

17. Derek Williams 20 Aug 2013, 11:48pm

Unbelievable that Sweden supports the persecution of LGBT in Russian.

Well we have to take matters into our own hands since so many countries and sports organisations think it is OK for gays to be persecuted.

I will travel to Sochi and get myself arrested and beaten up for saying I am gay.

1. Saying “I’m gay” never changed the world; we need some real old school activism, some real old school statments, initiatives and campaigns. We need mind changers ! We need spectacles; we want their eyes to pop and their jaws to drop !!! SHOW them just what queers are capable of. Make our genius undeniable.

Study crowd psychology and propaganda, get a group together and think think think !!! I would love to travel to Russia but I have no money and very few friends who even care about what’s going on there who would help me or suppot me, and I’m young and jobless, nobody would come and find me, the goverment wouldn’t help me, I ain’t going nowehere yet, but I am an “activist” so could be of use….

thefeelgoodcollective@live.co.uk

2. David Myers 21 Aug 2013, 9:44am

Good for you Derek and I hope a whole lot of other spectators (gay or straight) do the same. I would if I could afford it. Bravo to you.

18. So sad… even in 2013 very few people are brave enough to stick up for us. I really thought things would be different by now.

it would be nice if the popular kids defended the gay kids from the bullies for once, it really would.

19. “Emma Tregaro was encouraged to change the colour of her nails because she was in breach of the Olympic rules”

That’s really interesting since she wasn’t competing in the Olympics.

20. Look at another disgusting NEW video gay teenager tortured by Russian homophobes http://youtu.be/UD7xY6agxAE