LobbyForRussia.org launched to help LGBT people in Russia

1. Mr. Barraclough 19 Aug 2013, 12:52pm

“A new campaign site has been launched to allow individuals to lobby their MPs to demand action from the UK Government regarding the persecution of LGBT people in Russia.”

Can you be more specific please? What action precisely? It’s all very well wringing our hands and saying something must be done. But it sounds a bit like Neville Chamberlain before World War 2.

1. Chris Ward 19 Aug 2013, 1:09pm

The difficulty we were faced with is that, unlike LobbyALord where everybody in the LGBT campaign spectrum had similar views as to what needed to be done (and there were specific votes and amendments to lobby on), there is a fair amount of division on Russia. Some think we should boycott Russian vodka, some think that’s a silly idea, some think we should boycott the Olympics, some think we should move them, some think we should do neither and keep them in Sochi and use it as a platform. Consequently, it’s very difficult to knock together a site that pleases everybody by being too specific. I appreciate that sometimes that may appear very much like “WHAT DO WE WANT?” “SOMETHING!”, but it is a fine line to tread.

We acknowledge the difference in views in certain areas, but we do have a set of our own goals we’re aspiring to achieve here:

Hope that goes some way to answering your question. :)

1. Mr. Barraclough 19 Aug 2013, 4:13pm

That’s a fair response, and you do have some specific goals there.

1. Chris Ward 19 Aug 2013, 4:22pm

I aim to please. :)

1. Well done, Joshua Gladwin and Chris Ward!

I hope now that PinkNews, and hopefully other sites too, will keep your website constantly before people’s eyes, so that it be well and truly used.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Aug 2013, 2:32pm

I just lobbied my MP and will tweet many more not in my constituency, but after sending it ten minutes ago, the LobbyforRussia site said to check my email in order to send it but I’ve not yet received any confirmation in my mail box.

1. Chris Ward 19 Aug 2013, 2:47pm

Hi Robert, could you email me with details? christopher.j.ward@gmail.com.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Aug 2013, 2:54pm

Hi Chris, I just sent you an email. So far, still no confirmation in my mail box. Not to worry, I’ll tweet as many MPs as I can if there’s a glitch with the email option.

1. Chris Ward 19 Aug 2013, 4:23pm

Cheers for getting in touch Robert. Your email was definitely sent to your MP. :)

3. This is great!! Is there any chance of them coming up with a “lobbyforchildren” campaign to get schools to repeal their section 28 policies and have LGBT inclusion in sex ed?

4. Jeff detton 24 Aug 2013, 5:30am

You are brilliant, you are a progressive voice amid the staid lack of action I see across the board on this issue. I have been speaking out very strongly against this indolence on facebook, and was actually CENSORED by a page that purports to HELP homosexuals worldwide (“Wipe out Homophobia”) for suggesting more proactive action against this.