US: California lawmaker pulls son from school over trans bathroom rights law

1. Whenever their hysterical nonsense over this issue is expressed I always find myself wondering – why do they associate bathroom usage with being ogled?!

You have to wonder at the logical progression that leads to this. I mean – is it fair to say that all liars believe everyone lies, all thieves believe everyone steals, all racists believe everyone is racist … and so on?

Is it such a staggering notion to them that people using a public restroom are just…there to use the restroom? I don’t get this obsession unless they themselves are peering over doors or scoping everyone out.

I think I’d find it funny, if it wasn’t so damned offensive and oppressive (right up with being afraid to shower with LGBT people because of the steam and the staring and oh the projection in THAT too…)

But let’s be honest – US conservatives are often ignorant, reactionary, hysterical bigots. This really is not a surprise to anyone.

1. “. . . why do they associate bathroom usage with being ogled?!”

Gives a good indication of where their minds are. A classic example of psychological projection.

“You have to wonder at the logical progression that leads to this.”

What logical progression? According to the “Christian” right, everyone is evil — it’s the default setting.

2. What is really staggering if true is what he says about his kids. That they are horrified by it. I don’t think this is a natural reaction, which begs the question how has he brought them up?

I really feel sorry for his kids if what he has said is true.

2. So I guess unisex toilets are ‘horrific’ then too. Why don’t these people think before declaring to the world that they are hideous dumbasses.

1. I find it fascinating that he equates going to the toilet and sex. I think this is a very Anglo Saxon thing. Sexual repression being the cause. Many a time I have peed in France where the urinal area is visible to passing pedestrians, with no door.

French society hasn’t collapsed as a result.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Aug 2013, 3:00pm

And the republicans wonder why they lose elections! It seems conservatives more than any others have an obsession with sexuality and sex. I wonder why?

4. GulliverUK 18 Aug 2013, 3:11pm

This is a great way to make your son hate you. You’ve not only embarrassed them, you’ve taken away their friends. What a tosser.

1. Totally agree and the thing most likely to disrupt classrooms is the disgusting attitude of some of these parents.

5. Each individual toilet is in a lockable cubicle. It doesn’t really matter who uses them, nobody else in the restroom will see anything they shouldn’t.

6. Jock S. Trap 18 Aug 2013, 4:32pm

Typical… an adult hides behind their children to discriminate because they don’t want to see real life.

What it actually shows is how low these vile people are.

And this they wish to teach to children and claim it’s decent and moral.

Shame it and they are anything but!

7. Oh dear. He doesn’t trust his own son to behave appropriately? Guess he’s right to send him somewhere else then. Poor guy!

1. LOL so true. Their whole argument is “boys are going to dress up as women to perv on the girls oh noez!!!!” which of course is LGBT people’s fault, and not the fault of STRAIGHT boys who haven’t been taught to respect women’s privacy!

8. Perhaps if his son could hold it in until he gets home, just to be sure.
    Assuming he won’t be ogled by members of his own family that is…

Maybe it would be best if he never uses the toilet again?

Urinals are are a Freudian minefield eh, what with all these transgender students lurking behind every corner for a good ogle.

9. Christopher Coleman 18 Aug 2013, 6:11pm

The man is a total fool who sees doom everywhere he looks. And he regularly stands against gay rights. I suppose it has never occurred to him that he might be sharing a public bathroom (in a restaurant or the state Capitol in Sacramento) with people who might be transgendered. Pity the child with a parent such as this buffoon.

10. Issues. Big issues. Need to sort their heads out. I feel sorry for the kids having a father like that.

Although its interesting to see an example of how bigotry is passed on from one generation to the next. Like a virus.

11. I guess we’d better not mention the word intersex to him then, he’s likely to go into total mental disarrangement.

Perhaps someone should send him a copy of Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin, just to check though.

12. What a tosser! Like his son gives a crap. Can’t stand parents who fill their childrens heads with their own bullcrap. These people can re-produce and we can’t? Not fair

13. Frankie Dean 18 Aug 2013, 10:07pm

These narrow minded gits have dirty minds no transgender person is going to go to the bathroom to ogle others they will be wanting to get done and out as quick as possible this hatred stirring all comes from religious zealots who like this man have bamboozled and cheated and robbed there way into power

14. The one person I feel sorry for in all this is the idiots son.

To use your own son to try and make a political point is about as low as you can get.

How is the kid going to feel being torn away from his friends?

Moving to a new school as a young teen can be difficult, as he will have to make new friends and establish himself; within a new peer group.

I suspect this idiot will be astonished to learn that his son hates him in a few years time. I have no sympathy for him. He is part of a republican party that I think seems increasingly un-electable to a great many US citizens. What is their fascination with human sexuality and trying to make everyone conform to their vanilla mould?

1. The “fascination” with making everyone conform to the vanilla mould is because LGBT people ruined the “big plan”. The status quo was established long ago, and many people had the idea of a perfect 1950’s nuclear-family society where boys are boys and girls are girls and everyone shacks up and has lots of little kiddies and everything is in its right place.

LGBT people ruined that plan. They didn’t count on us showing up and smashing the status quo and gender binary and spoiling their ideal world. We confused things greatly for them. Every day of our life is an act of civil disobedience.

This is why “it’s ok to be gay” as long as you’re not TOO gay, as long as you heteronormatize yourself and keep the gender binary and the status quo intact.

We “threaten” their whole dream world. We ruined everything; that is why they do not like us.

15. simple – good riddance to the kid who dad is bringing up to be ignorant and then a bigot willl follow.

Republicans as usual. Remind me of Akin of MO and Murdoch of IN, who before the last election said rape of women is justified in scome circumstances

Add women to the repub hate list which includes blacks, gays etc

one would think there god is really named Goebbels

16. Children playing sports & using the toilet appropriate to their gender!!!! Shock! I don’t know how I’m going to sleep toni …. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

17. This daft “bathroom debate” has been going on for decades and remains as absurdly popular as ever. Apparently there’s still political mileage in spreading anti-trans hate.

On the “ogling” point, it’s too absurd to comment on directly, but I will say that I enjoyed Mr Donnelly’s assumption that only heterosexual teens use the school toilets. Does he think his son’s gay classmates cross their legs till tea time?

I notice many commenters arguing for unisex bathrooms. Personally, I do prefer single sex toilet and changing facilities, because I would rather be in a women-only environment when making myself vulnerable by removing clothes, even behind a locked door.

But I cannot understand why anyone would want to exclude trans women or anyone else defining as female from women’s facilities. If any women know about the way society looks at and judges women’s bodies, it’s trans women – who after all have had to fight even for the right to be treated as women.

18. johnny33308 19 Aug 2013, 7:47pm

Here in the US certain people (the religious among us) flaunt their great ignorance as if it were a good thing, like it ever could be! It’s always masked as “free speech” rather than what it really is, “hate speech”….land of the free…..hahahahaha……..