Russian pole vault champion backs anti-gay laws to protect ‘normal people’ from gays

1. Stick to pole vaulting love and keep your mouth shut.

1. Ronald Elrod 15 Aug 2013, 7:28pm

I agree. A the old saying goes: ‘It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK you’re stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!’

2. That There Other David 15 Aug 2013, 5:21pm

I can see why her sport isn’t shooting or archery. With an aim like that she’d have no feet left.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Aug 2013, 5:24pm

Ignorant twat! She’ll get hers one day!

4. Oooo! Some people will say ANYTHING to gain ‘Putin Brownie Points’. Personally, I think females pole vaulting is a quite a masculine thing to do. Shouldn’t she be at home, cooking and cleaning? Oh sorry – is that a ‘stereotype’? I bet she wouldn’t like to be insulted in that way. Well WE don’t like being insulted in THIS way, you vile cretin.

1. Why would you say pole vaulting is masculine ?

2. Why is it a masculine thing to do ?

1. *sigh* It’s called sarcasm.

1. Thanks Colin M for saving me the trouble of having to explain ….. I despair, I really do ….

5. “You never have any problems?” I would sack you history teacher love. you been lied to.

6. Yelena Isinbayeva is United Russia party member. Russians agreed with the characterization of United Russia as “the party of crooks and thieves.”

1. She is also trustee of Putin. She supported him during presidential election.

1. And she is sponsored by Nike and Toyota.

1. auntie babs 16 Aug 2013, 6:34am

sharply worded e-mails to Nike and Toyota asking them wether they want their names to be associated with this vile homophobic woman on their way.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 16 Aug 2013, 8:20am

Being a bit lazy here but has anyone got contact emails for the relevant people to email complaints to

7. CYKA!!!!!

8. … and I hope the British Immigration Authorities have made note of this woman’s name should she ever wish to come here to compete. ‘Incitement to Hatred’ – which her comments surely are – has got American preachers and Rappers banned from entering our country. I trust she will be treated the same way …?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Aug 2013, 12:25am

Yes, but Scott Lively so far has not been banned!

9. Derek Williams 15 Aug 2013, 5:31pm

Well, there goes Tchaikowsky. He’d be just as unlucky in this century.

1. Not to mention Nijinsky and Diaghalev.

10. “Unrespectful”?
    If I were this ****, I would keep my mouth firmly shut. She is just as ignorant, uncivilised and uneducated as the rest of the country. No surprise there.

11. Rick George 15 Aug 2013, 5:37pm

I think someone may have just talked themselves out of a shit load of sponsorship and advertising money.

12. Rick George 15 Aug 2013, 5:39pm

I think someone may have just talked themselves out of a substantial chunk of sponsorship and advertising money.

1. I wonder how recent the photo is. In it, we can clearly see the Nike swish. What does Nike think about her words?

1. Ask them (and Toyota also)

2. Toyota and Nike sponsor her.

1. Rick George 16 Aug 2013, 12:21am

Lets contact them about it as this story may not appear in the mainstream press.

2. Rick George 16 Aug 2013, 12:23am

Maybe we should drop them a line about this story, as it may not appear in the mainstream press.

13. Seeing as the law protects “normal people” from gay people, I wonder which law protects her from us.

1. Presy Putrid 15 Aug 2013, 6:03pm

The Rabies regulations?

1. Mumbo Jumbo 15 Aug 2013, 8:17pm

Lol

14. Congratulations, dear. You are the sporting world’s latest pariah.

1. Paula Thomas 16 Aug 2013, 3:19am

Yeah but at her age she wont be competing for much longer anyway. I suspect she may have poitical ambitions in Russia. But this is so very, very sad

15. Michaelandfred 15 Aug 2013, 5:40pm

About what I’d expect. A month from now she’ll be here in Miami whoring herself out to some 70 year old with a yacht like the rest of her “normal” Russian friends I see here every day. I guess people really are different…

16. Another closeted, self-loathing dyke who throws everyone else under the bus just to advance her own interests. She and Ms. Putin are a slimy pair.

1. Well said …. exactly!!!

17. Silly cow. All she has to do is look at the science articles on the web particularly with regard to the latest research and she will see that you can’t ‘promote’ a sexual orientation.

Is she so dim she can’t put a few words in google and read?

1. Presy putrid 15 Aug 2013, 6:06pm

But telling her that would be “propaganda”.

1. Indeed it would. I have been arguing with a few ‘nationalist’ friends
        of mine over this subject. I said I would no longer buy any Russian Vodka until they saw sense and got rid of this silly law. I mentioned that all Mr Putin has to do is look at those articles on the web or talk to Mr Cameron and he will see that we had our difficulties with defining what constitutes ‘promoting’ when we had Section 28. I pointed these friends to the research on the web about epi-marks/ epi-genetics and homosexuality and I think I have begun to change their minds on this subject so I have hopefully made sure there are less homophobes in Britain today than there were a few weeks ago.

1. I told my friends I would buy other brands in future from different countries. Putin must be either willfully ignorant or just plain stupid if he thinks these laws can ‘work’.

18. brainwashed bitch ! It’s ” normal ” to attack , abuse and even kill other human beings ? go and kill yourself stupid moron !

19. James Savik 15 Aug 2013, 5:47pm

Like a Russian Olympian is ever a normal person and not a steroid enhanced freak.

20. I wonder if I can make an official complaint against her for stealing my IQ, because after reading that, I sure do feel dumber.
    Ditzy bimbo.

21. Christopher Hobe Morrison 15 Aug 2013, 5:59pm

So she’s either a suckup or a bigot, what can I say?

1. I vote option 3 – both a suckup and a bigot too.

22. Well Yelena Isinbayeva, who will protect the LGBT people from inequality, since you poor, victimised, “normal” people need so much protection?

23. Well she know where she can stick her pole. (in her mouth of course, shame on you for thinking otherwise! :D ).

Hopefully it will stop her vile and uneducated comments.

24. Delighted to see the BBC sports commentators have criticised her remarks

1. PantoHorse 15 Aug 2013, 6:55pm

Thank you for sharing that, Dave. Quite unusual for the BBC to post something pro, but good on the presenters for standing up for LGBT rights!

1. Yes, but the acid test is whether the story is reported on children’s news programme Newsround.

They rarely, if ever, cover news stories about homophobia or homophobic bullying..

1. Considering they’re still very touchy about teaching kids the /other/ birds and the bees. I wouldn’t hold out for inclusion on Newsround any time soon!!

2. I see she is wearing a shirt emblazoned with TOYOTA across it… so I sent the following to Toyota:

I noticed that Russian Pole Vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva was wearing a shirt emblazoned with TOYOTA at this year’s World Athletics where she made public her homophobic views declaring her support for Russia’s anti-gay laws which were described by Stephen Fry (amongst many others) as akin to anti-Semitic laws in 1930s Nazi Germany. Will you continue to sponsor such a person? I will be replacing my current Toyota with a new car in the near future and your answer will help me decide.

1. Paula Thomas 16 Aug 2013, 3:28am

Toyota are the games sponsors. I don’t know whether they sponsor her personally.

25. What an absolute horrible thing she is. Hope she is never welcomed in to the UK. The louder they preach…..! :-)

26. Oh puleeze… seal her IN a high chambered Vault somewhere (so long as it’s not over the rainbow way up high..) deep underground; she can play with her pole as much as she likes without disturbing anyone else.
    (Hmm does that constitute internet trolling??)

27. Almost verbatim from what a German pole vaulter would have said at an international track meet in Munich the year before the 1936 Olympics.

Just sayin’…

28. Based on a Google search, her sponsors are Visa, Proctor and Gamble and Li Ning. I have written to each of these companies to ask them if their association with her is good for their brand.

29. According to the “traditional laws and customs” she so adamantly supports, she should be at home, pregnant, waiting for her violent Vodka drinking husband to come home and smack her about a little.

After all, traditionally, women in Russia are servants to their men, submissive and powerless.

She seems to be yet another maniac with such a low IQ she doesn’t even know what she supposedly supports.

This is what extreme nationalism and fanatical religion do to a people, brainwashing them until they can’t even make sense of themselves.

30. Tom (Winnipeg) 15 Aug 2013, 7:08pm

I know a wonderful person who lost her dad in Russia, when the “officers” arrested him with a gun pointing for all to see. She never saw him again – shot to death. Why? A neighbour told a lie about him. This pole vaulter should take a look at her history, because she might be thus affected in the not-too-distant future, especially if the “putins” of Russia get their say.

1. That There Other David 15 Aug 2013, 7:25pm

Indeed. She thinks the friends she obviously has will protect her indefinitely. However, as we’ve been seeing in Egypt over the past three years powerful friends can very quickly disappear, and can even find their power gone overnight.

Whatever happens I predict a very poor bitter future for her. She’s blown any chance of commercial sponsorship, she’s losing friends outside of Russia by the day, and now she’s effectively painted herself into the role of plaything to oligarchs. When she’s no longer useful to them they’ll dump her straight into the gutter, and only then will she realise she has chased away anyone she might have turned to.

31. Helge Vladimir Tiller 15 Aug 2013, 7:11pm

She has close friends in the upper sport hierarchy in Russia ! So she is of course protecting The System. WORDS with no room for LGBTQ righteousness ! PERIOD !

32. “we are Russians, Maybe we are different from European people and other people from different lands” – yeah sweetheart, break out the swaztikas! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

33. Cupid Stunt

34. Clare Jaap 15 Aug 2013, 7:52pm

Stupid woman. What is she afraid of?

1. Paula Thomas 16 Aug 2013, 3:33am

I dunno but what are homphobes normally affraid of?

35. Helge Vladimir Tiller 15 Aug 2013, 7:55pm

Her words are exactly those words The Regime tries to program into the brains of young immature girls and boys ! Fascism in full bloom.

36. Who sponsors this Nazi witch?

Why it’s Nike.

Time to get in touch with Nike – Facebook; Twitter; Email.

Tell them to drop her – she is bringing their brand into disrepute,

37. “When we arrive to different countries, we try to follow their rules.””

Hungarians of a certain generation may hold an alternative perspective on that.

1. No to mention the Chechs, Chechens, etc.

2. Frank Boulton 20 Aug 2013, 12:23pm

Remember Czechoslovakia, too. And then a couple of years ago it was Georgia.

38. Toyota is another one of her sponsors.

Contact Toyota.

Tell them to dump her.

39. As has been said elsewhere, the best way to hit people like this is where it hurts; in their pockets. We should all be contacting their sponsors and asking others to do likewise. As soon as those sponsors think an athlete is toxic to their image they’ll be dropped like a stone. Of coure her friends in Russia will step in to provide the money instead, but the point will have been made.

1. Toyota and Nike need to hear from people,

40. What is the next sports event outside Russia she plans to participate in, does anyone know.

She should be denied visas to travel outside Russia for bringing her sport into disrepute.

41. Ask her sponsor, Nike, what they’ve got to say about Yelena Isinbayeva’s comments. Are they happy to keep sponsoring her? The live chat room should open tomorrow at 8am UK time

42. I left a comment on Toyota UK’s facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/toyotauk/posts/10151622942522633

43. Yelena – The new face of Hitler youth

1. Nice bum though (for a woman), reminds me of my ex’s except he didn’t talk through his.

44. Oh dear…big mighty Russians are afraid of painted nails of a woman. This country is almost surreal !

45. Look love.

Your an airhead who can jump over a stick using a big stick.

Leave thinking to those with brains.

46. I hope the International Olympic Committee was watching this unsporting and distasteful gesture which flies in the face of sporting values and fair play.

1. They don’t give a sh1T, i’m afraid. It is a corrupt organisation. They gladly take bribes and all that goes with that (e.g. millions transferred into personal bank accounts, luxury sports cars and there’s probably drugs and prostitutes-on-demand also included in there somewhere). It’s the same with FIA (Formula One governing body) and FIFA (soccer’s governing body). Hence we now have major sporting events in countries like Russia, China, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, etc. where human-rights are non-existent.

We now have Olympic Games being held in fabulous stadiums whilst outside the entrance gates gay people are being treated like rats and Grands Prix held on futuristic racing track stadiums whilst on the other side of the grandstands the country’s security forces are murdering people protesting for more rights. I could go on all day listing examples that reveal the absurdity of the ethics in 21st century so-called ‘sport’.

Human Rights is an alien concept to sport & the IOC.

47. Pissed off pink bunny 15 Aug 2013, 11:44pm

Info from IMRpublications:

5. Yelena Isinbayeva. Pole vaulter, $2.7m (estimate) Russia. Sponsors: Li Ning ($1.5m), P&G, Visa.

1. Ah, so she’s so wealthy now that she doesn’t feel she needs to constrain her appetite for evil.

She feels able to say what she likes and be as evil as she dares to be because she is a millionaire now. She probably wears fur coats made from Dalmatian puppies.

48. Her ignorant comments just scream unintelligence. Perhaps that’s why she was encouraged by her school teachers to concentrate on sports.

She actually sounds rather ‘unhinged’. There’s something quite alien in her comments and how she puts them across. It’s as if she has been abducted by aliens and has now been returned to earth but has had her mind tampered with by little green men. Perhaps she’s just been given too many steroids. Either that, or the Russian Athletics team were all wired up in a laboratory before the championships and brainwashed to think and speak according to their Master, Putin. Whilst hypnotised, they would have heard the voice of Putin saying: “This iz yure Master speaking … yo ville HATE dhoz feelthy vesturn homozexuleskis”

49. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Aug 2013, 12:29am

We should all notify the Home Office to ban her from ever entering the UK along with that other vile homophobe, Scott Lively and that rabble of American hate-mongers.

1. A have a suggestion what this bint might do with her pole.

50. I have a suggestion what she might do with her pole.

51. Yelena Isinbayeva is an ambassador for the Youth Olympics, appointed to the position in 2010 by the IOC President, Jacques Rogge.

Rogge said when appointing her: “We have a true champion in Yelena, a true role model for young people.”

Commonwealth Games gold medallist Louise Hazel has said that IOC should consider removing Isinbayeva from her role.

Hazel told reporters:

“Essentially she’s being outwardly homophobic.”

“I think it’s really important that after the games there’s a review of what she’s said.”

“They’re sending the message that discrimination is OK and it quite clearly is not in this day and age.”

“I just don’t feel that it’s in keeping with the spirit of sport in general and the all-encompassing, all inclusive values of the Olympic Games.”

We should watch this one with interest to see if the IOC do anything.

1. The IOC is a bunch of ass kissing old farts that need to be replaced! They don’t give a rats ass and will perisistently bow down so that they look good! Unfortunately, the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games shall be their demise and the world as we know it, will have little if no further respect for the IOC! Russia will go down in the history books as a homophobic country and tourists will not put Russia on their spots to visit. Such a shame but hey, if this is how they wish to conduct themselves (the IOC that is), then I hope they get all that’s due to come their way! Karma baby. Karma will hit each of them when they least expect it.

52. It’s unrespectful [sic] to our country, it’s unrespectful [sic] to our citizens, because we are Russians, Maybe we are different from European people and other people from different lands.” And what about lgbt Russians ???? How about showing some humanity and respect to them !!!

53. “Maybe we are different from European people and other people from different lands”

You said it! But when you become the pariahs of Europe will you still think that?

54. She says “When we arrive to different countries, we try to follow their rules”

Yeah so what about importing dangerous radioactive substances in to foreign countries to kill people. How is that being respectful of other countries laws ?

Scary backward people from a scary backward country.

55. damned filth 16 Aug 2013, 12:39pm

She is blaming poor English. The woman is fluent in English

56. .....Paddyswurds 16 Aug 2013, 12:46pm

Western athletes who support the Russian anti gay pogroms by attending the Winter Olympics in Sochi should be ostracised and vilified at every opportunity and they should have fair warning of this before they go.
    We have little time left in which to bring as much pressure as possible on western Olympic committees to boycott the Russian games and we must step up our game.
    Athletes who go there will be hoping to gain medals with which they will then approach commercial concerns in order to make as much money as possible from such wins.
    The gay community is an important economic block when these companies are marketing athletes, as we have the disposable income to indulge these people. If we make it clear that participants in these games will be shunned then I am betting things will change in our favour and more importantly in the disgraceful and inhuman anti gay laws in Russia……………….

57. MarKo Hubert 16 Aug 2013, 3:15pm

“If we allow to promote and do all this stuff on the street, we are very afraid about our nation because we consider ourselves like normal, standard people”

So lets be clear. She doesn’t know who she is so she needs policies to protect her ambivalent sexuality, right?

58. This really upset me. As an athletics fan for 20+ years, I have been a fan of hers since she started breaking records. I do not understand how someone who is exposed to different cultures like she would be could hold such views. it was a sad day reading this

59. “Everything must be fine. It comes from history.”

Indeed, a history of oppression.

60. Frank Boulton 20 Aug 2013, 12:27pm

Has IAAF said anything about Isinbayeva’s outbursts yet?

61. Look at another disgusting NEW video gay teenager tortured by Russian homophobes http://youtu.be/UD7xY6agxAE