Danish Government warns Russia over anti-gay law.

1. Hurrah, a government showing some balls.

The resounding silence from our lot is embarrasing.

2. Enrique Esteban 15 Aug 2013, 10:56am

PLEASE, SIGN TO SUPPORT EQUAL MARRIAGE IN ROMANIA
    Help: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

3. Danish royality getting in the act now which is good….wonder if our lot will as well….er…..no….oh well no surprise there then

4. The Scandinavian countries I think in terms of LGBT rights and equality for women are ahead of the rest of the world. Of couse nowhere is perfect, but consider, in 1989 Denmark became the first country to allow civil partnerships for gay couples. Back then Thatcher was still in power and Britain was quite a homophobic place by today’s standards, which shows you how far ahead Denmark is.

The Scandinavian countries have made LGBT rights a high priority so it comes as little surprise to me that Denmark has been so vocal about the human rights abuses in Russia. Copenhagen and Stockholm in neighbouring Sweden are wonderful cities and a pleasure to visit.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 15 Aug 2013, 3:00pm

Also remember that The Swedish minister of Foreign affairs has condemned these horrible Russian Laws in strong terms !!! In fact my own Norway is a bit behind right now-
      Thank you Chris ! Life is far better for LGBTQ persons in Scandinavia than most places in the world. AND it can even be better !

1. I still think that Norway should have won Eurovision though. I Feed You My Love was way better than the Danish entry!

1. Well then, I certainly will withhold feeding you MY love, Chris.

1. Everyone is entitled to their opinion Hans.

I’m sure I won’t lose any sleep.

5. Finaly some serious steps which should be followed by other European countries.
    Where is Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium etc.?

1. Dr. Damn Right 16 Aug 2013, 11:41am

Do not count on the Netherlands anymore. Twenty years ago maybe, but now we’re being run by cowardly opportunistic businessmen, who will never hurt trade relations over something silly like human rights. So yea, Denmark!

1. Paul Halsall 16 Aug 2013, 12:22pm

The King of the Netherlands is a member of the IOC

6. want to see what the LGBT community and its allies really think of Sochi? visit our facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/brandedbysochi?fref=ts

7. i bet putin didnt expect this scale of international condemnation when signing this legalistic cr@p into law but at the same time i dont expect any u-turns from him any time soon

8. Well done, Denmark! Very glad to see a Foreign Minister making such an unequivocal statement at last (and little surprise it comes from a Scandinavian country).

1. Why? I think you will find that Scandinavian countries are VERY big on human rights!

1. PantoHorse 15 Aug 2013, 1:48pm

He said ‘little surprise’, not ‘little surprised’. i.e. he is not surprised so therefore knows/believes Scandinavian countries are big on human rights :)

1. Thanks PantoHorse, at least you know what I meant!

What a difference an A (and a D) could have made – I hadn’t recognised this internet pitfall before!

2. I would be surprised if Denmark stayed quiet !

9. Derek Williams 15 Aug 2013, 1:04pm

This is wonderful, and I hope will be echoed by country after country, now that Denmark has shown us the way.

10. Off-topic: Who’s told PN staff to overuse “shall” recently? Stop it!

1. “who’s told”?
      really? and you can sit there and complain about the use of “shall” with a straight face?

1. ??

Who’s = who has. A perfectly acceptable contraction in this context, isn’t it?

11. Helge Vladimir Tiller 15 Aug 2013, 1:49pm

Beautiful, beautiful Denmark !
    Thank You so very, very much from Norway !

12. alexdalton 15 Aug 2013, 2:10pm

wow that is amazing well done, Crown Prince Frederik. I have written to Princess Anne to se if she will help too

13. At least we have one government showing some balls in this fiasco. It’s just a shame that there aren’t many others doing it too.

I have a feeling that this is because of the lack of publicity over the violence going on there. No national media are reporting on it, and even so-called “gay friendly” press are merely talking about the laws in Russia and completely ignoring the abuse.

I think this response might simply be because they have actually seen what is happening in Russia, without the watered-down “reporting” we are seeing in our national press.

It’s about time we all started sharing news of the abuses going on there, not merely talking about the boycott and how we (and various others) feel about it. Maybe then people will start to realize why this is such an important issue?

1. A couple of weeks ago when I put a link to some of the stories from Russia (linking news posts from this site) on the Guardian’s Comment is Free, my account was deleted and my IP address banned. And it still is. I was not the only one they banned.
      The thing is, straight people are not comfortable with the truth, even the ones who like to be seen as tolerant, so they try to suppress it.

14. I know that I’m talking to a brick wall here, but, here goes anyway:

My husband and I were always active in the care and upbringing of our nephews and nieces.
    They all turned into perfectly fine, upstanding citizens.
    None of them were forced to change or alter their own sexual identities. As far as we know, so far, none of them are gay or lesbian.
    The simple fact that my husband and I were together, and involved in the care of our siblings’ children, would be seen as “propaganda toward minors” by this Russian law.

How is it “propaganda” to simply be two people who love each other, belong to an extended family, and function perfectly well within society?

There’s nothing sick, degrading, or perverted about us (I can’t say the same for you, from reading your constant comments bringing up various perversions).

I have to ask, keith, why do you bother? You are either the most brilliant internet troll the world has ever known, or you are in very, very serious need of psychiatric help.

1. (cont…)
      If you are so resistant to changing your beliefs regarding LGBT people, then why do you even bother posting here? Does trying to get a rise out of anonymous people on an internet forum give you some bizarre sadistic pleasure?

Is there anything that ANYone could say that might convince you that maybe your opinions regarding LGBT people are wrong?

I think I’d have better luck getting an answer from my dog when I ask her “who’s a good girl”.

15. You see Cameron, some people have got guts and determination. Unlike you.

1. I don’t think it’s about guts. He simply doesn’t care.

16. Well done, Denmark! Good to see the Crown Prince commenting too.

17. Dimitris T 15 Aug 2013, 4:51pm

Dear friends, I will put you a little quiz:
    The last 20 years I see on tv, in the beginning after midnight and later on earlier and earlier shows about the existance of our nation far earlier than what is known, 30000 years for example, or that 80 million of us live around the world!!! Ancient history and Orthodoxy ball together in tango with beliefs the we came from outer space!!! Thode trashy shows for 20000 hours on tv. Vladimir Putin is a Saint, or leader, they yell “go, Putin, take them all!!! Putin fan club is great, especially in far Right and Christian Right.
    Do I have to tell you where I live?
    If it is so, it is Greece…

1. So you are just like us gay hating Serbs. We too are supposed to be the “heavenly people” who came from Atlantis and created all the wisdom of the world, according to our state propaganda, at least. We are also great fans of Putin, just like your fellow Greeks.

Russian Duma sent us volunteers for out little pet project, the Bosnian genocide in the 1990s. Brother Greeks sent Golden Dawn members to kill men and boys at Srebrenica. That’s Orthodox brotherhood to you.

1. PantoHorse 15 Aug 2013, 8:07pm

Wow, you two, especially you, Eduard, are pretty sick. Off you pop now, you two nasty, narrow-minded, genocidal nut jobs.

1. Dimitris T 16 Aug 2013, 6:57am

You seem not to understand the meaning of the post, at least mine, PantoHorse. There is serious pro-Putin propaganda in Greece. EU is spending money in Greece and should do something in order to communicate European values. And what Eduard said, I don’t know his origin, about Greek paratroopers fighting by the side of Karazic and Milosevic is probably true. This is your priviledge, your language is spoken by many other people. I do not support any silly Balkan Nationalism, I do think that after all, indeed, I am not joking, that the main problem in the Balkans is human rights. If everyone respected the others’ there would be no other problems.

2. Dimitris T 16 Aug 2013, 7:10am

You seem not to understand the meaning of the post, at least mine, PantoHorse. There is serious pro-Putin propaganda in Greece. EU is spending money in Greece and they should do something in order to communicate European values. And what Eduard said, I don’t know his origin, about Greek paratroopers fighting by the side of Karazic and Milosevic is probably true. This is your priviledge, your language is spoken by many other people. I do not support any silly Balkan Nationalism at all, I do think after all that indeed, I am not joking, that the main problem in the Balkans is disrespect of human rights. If everyone respected the others’ there would be no other problems. We wright in this site in order to pose attention to what is happening down here to a grater audience.

3. I think you’ll find they’re being ironic. No mean feat with English as a second (or third) language.

18. What do you know about Denmark Keith? Nothing! You are a looser Keith.

19. gjrt5re55yjh 15 Aug 2013, 10:53pm

Here is a list of Denmark’;s recent human rights abuses.They have no right to call out Russia when Russia permits sexual acts that you would be imprisoned for in Denmark such as bestiality, con=sen=sual adult in=ce=st and de-fact=o poly=gamy. Homosexuality (as most seem unaware) is also permitted in Russia, just don’t promote it to minors. Why are the gay community so keen to allow minors to be exposed to non traditional relationship propaganda? Non traditional relationships include such legal (in Russia) acts as best=iality, consensual adult inc=e=st and homosexualism

20. Here is a list of Denmark’s recent hum.an rights abuses.The.y have no right to call out Russia when Russia permits se.xual acts that you would be imprison.ed for in Denmark such as best.ial.ity, con=sen=su.al ad.ult in=ce=s.t and de-fa.ct=o poly=g.amy. Homosexuality (as most seem unaware) is also permitted in Russia, just don’t promote it to minors. Why are the gay community so keen to allow minors to be exposed to non traditional relationship propaganda? Non traditional relationships include such legal (in Russia) acts as be.st=iality, con.sen.sual adult in.c=e=st and homos.exualism

21. James Savik 16 Aug 2013, 2:15am

Kick their ass Denmark!

22. I sincerely hope the world learned its lesson from WWII and leaders will get together to prevent this disgusting & blatant persecution of a minority group. Putin saying it will not affect the smooth running of the game is irrelevant – to ignore his actions is tantamount to a policy of appeasement! They should boycott or move the games – go Scandanavia for supporting equal rights!

1. James Savik 16 Aug 2013, 5:38pm

If you expect the world to learn any lessons from history, you’ll be disappointed. The entire world ignores the lessons of history every day.

Most people are so self possessed that they believe the universe started at their birth, ends with their death and nothing relevant or important could possibly happen before or after.

That’s why I’ve got 200:1 odds for human extinction before 2100.

23. Well done Denmark. Minor error in the article – it is not the European Council but the Council of Europe that is mentioned. Two different institutions, Russia is a member of the latter and has signed the European Convention of Human Rights and I gather Denmark wants to raise the issue there in September and maybe UN and OSCE as well (Danmark vil bringe sagen op i Europarådet til september og muligvis i FN og OSCE)

24. Velvet Steele 16 Aug 2013, 7:49pm

my home country showing its teeth!!!!!!

25. the games need to be moved from sochi to Vancouver, and then ban Russia from the games…

26. Bann the Olympics — Or Move them to a Country where Human Rights are HONORED !!