US: Californian doctor diagnoses gay patient with ‘chronic homosexual disease’

1. Astonishing that he should decide that her reputation and privacy should be respected after her disgusting and disdainful behaviour.

And I’m sorry, but I don’t know that I would take the higher ground. If bigots won’t learn lessons by themselves, I can well see that a penalty could and should be applied. It sounds almost as if there is a prima facie case here for malpractice.

1. Yes, malpractice. But I actually admire the way the patient handled it. Given that the Health Association apologized, we can safely assume there will be repercussions for the doctor concerned and measures taken to ensure this type of mistake is not made in future by other medical professionals in that organisation.

1. I think it’s a bit of an assumption – we don’t normally see companies handle bigotry with anything like respect. A form apology and it’s done, swept under the rug

2. Doubt it. The British Medical Council have a habit of sweeping things under the rug. I doubt the Americans are any better.

3. Yes, I admire the way this patient handled such appalling treatment too. However, I think he behaved with rather too much consideration in allowing her to remain anonymous.

Does this patient really think that bigots and homophobes are going to relent and to start liking us because we show ourselves to be compassionate towards them? I don’t think so. “Suckers!” is more likely to be their response. In America, particularly, the only language some people understand is that involved when someone “sues the ass off of them”!

4. Scott Rose 9 Aug 2013, 5:16pm

It’s not enough to “safely assume.” This doctor is a public health menace. The public should be able to fact-check that she has been appropriately dealt with. What’s next? Diagnosing somebody as “chronically Jewish”?

1. Sorry. The report button is entirely to close to the thumbs up button. On this site especially when using touch screen. I meant to like you comment, not report it and it won’t let me undo the action.

5. Yes, at least there’s that possibility. And yes, I agree, Mr. Moore is admirable for his grace.

2. It is astonishing considering she could go on to do the same thing to a vulnerable teen. I’m pretty sure you don’t have to live in a small town in Indiana to qualify as vulnerable.

Odd reasoning on his part.

3. The doctor in question has been tentatively identified as Pakistani. Because of recent changes in healthcare, the U.S. is desperate for general practice physicians and are taking applicants from all over to fill vacancies in health plans.

2. Helge Vladimir Tiller 9 Aug 2013, 12:26pm

Reminds me of my teens and twenties, when almost all doctors were like this. And in addition to these diagnoses, WE were stepped on and discriminated in many ways when we were patients in hospitals. I have always- since 1960- been open about my homosexuality, and experienced a lot of violence and degrading from health staff. I even was refused to enter one school to take a medical degree. ( lower level) What made me survive all this discrimination was my INNER PRIDE ! Surprises me that such attitudes still exists in The US. But remember : I came out as a WINNER !

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 9 Aug 2013, 12:28pm

This was in Norway !

3. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Aug 2013, 12:34pm

What a dope to not take further action against such a vile doctor. I’d throw the book at her, over and over. Her reputation as a bigot doesn’t deserve any consideration. It seems that the Hypocratic Oath to do no harm doesn’t apply in this case. She should be struck off.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Aug 2013, 12:35pm

If there’s any blow-back from this in the coming days or weeks, you can bet she’ll plead the abuse of religious beliefs victim card.

1. I’m no keener on organised religion than you are Robert, but there’s no indication in this report that religion was at the core of this doctor’s beliefs. Unfortunately, even non-religious people can still cling to outdated concepts.

1. That There Other David 9 Aug 2013, 1:45pm

I’d put £100 on Robert being right. The phrase “still up for debate” is the sort of justification you hear from Creationists about evolution despite the overwhelming evidence. It’s that sort of wording that red-flags her to me as a religious nutjob trying to project her beliefs onto others.

5. she should bve struck off ASAP , never allowed to practice medicine again ,and not even because of her homophobia but from a professional position as she has quite clearly failed to keep herself up to date with modern clinical practice

1. She made a mistake, yes, then her explanation proved her lack of medical (and social) education. Homosexuality should be documented in his medical record, but under social history (where we list marital status, employment, etc.), rather than a diagnosis (as if it were a disease or condition that required treatment). She needs to apologize, undergo diversity training on a recurrent basis, and re-assessment to cure her of her ignorance (she deserves ‘ignorance’ and ‘bigotry’ as diagnoses until cured).However, to say she should “never (be) allowed to practice medicine again” is excessive. She shouldn’t lose her license, but diversity education (and a basic biology class) would be very appropriate requirements for her.
      Unfortunately, there are still ignorant, uncultured people amongst us. Good news is this is changing dramatically with each new generation due to increased cultural exposure to homosexuality, stigma-free (& diagnosis-free!). *Key:education

6. Moore is far too generous towards this doctor, if she is 40 years out of date – in California! – in her awareness of mental-health categories, she has no business remaining in practice.

7. Why protect the reputation of this woman? She isn’t a doctor – she’s a hack and a bigot who could cause immense harm to GBLT people more fragile than Mr. Moore. She should be struck off never to practice again

8. Helge Vladimir Tiller 9 Aug 2013, 12:57pm

If I remember correctly: The classification of homosexuality as a disease or mental disorder was abolished by APA ( The American Psychological Association ) IN 1975 ! WE ARE HEALTHY-

1. The radio programme “This American Life” did an episode of the history behind this decision Riveting listening. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/204/81-words

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 9 Aug 2013, 7:09pm

Thank you so much, Jamie ! Very interesting !

Helge-

9. If that incompetent idiot genuinely believes her diagnosis is correct then she should not fear for her reputation being damaged by publicly voicing her views on homosexuality.

10. Totally ridiculous and irresponsible that he is protecting her reputation. Got palmed off with an apology and is happy with that. Pathetic. This woman (doubtless a Christian) will continue with her poison.

11. Why on earth is a General Practitioner diagnosing “mental disorders” in the first place? If this story’s for real, she should be in trouble just for that.

12. Are we surprised? Doctors have also been excempt from any education and understanding of sexuality and LGBT issues around the world.

The sooner they start actually TEACHING people, and not leaving it down to us to explain ourselves all the time, the sooner this silly stuff stops happening.

People fear what they do not understand and doctors, judges and politicians are no exception.

This man should call in sick for work – “Sorry, can’t work today, terminally gay”, I mean, he has a doctors note !!! Who can argue with that? LOL

Education is key
    Knowledge is Power
    Love Conquers Hate

13. I think it is irresponsible of him NOT to sue the doctor or at least expose her ignorance and prejudice.

1. This doctor obviously used that diagnosis intentionally. Citing a diagnosis that was considered incorrect since 1974. I think that she was using the fact that it was still on the books as a justification to make a homophobic comment to a patient and thinking that she would be protected from any fallout.
      Didn’t work.

14. O o I feel very gay and think I need a sick note for some days off work …..

15. While I commend PN on their coverage of Russia, this is back to their same old Fleet Street crap.

This is not original journalism. You got this from either salon.com or NBC LA. I would guess the former since it’s almost word for word.

CITE YOUR SOURCES!

16. The doctor should have been named so that other potential patients would know to avoid her. She should also be named because she deserves public ridicule.

17. lynsey howell 9 Aug 2013, 3:27pm

this has to be a joke right it can’t be real, and if it is this doctor has such entrenched homophobia hat it is she who needs treatment

18. Why protect her identity, and then in the same breath state that it could have damaged a young patient? Out the woman and let her face the wolves so that it doesn’t happen to someone else!

19. Mr. Moore makes an important point that in a more sensitive case, such as a 14 year old, this type of diagnosis would be very damaging and could easily lead to that child committing suicide.
    Social stigma leads to exclusion and those who propagate that attitude need to be exposed for their inconsideration.

20. Sometimes, for insurance billing purposes, the more diagnoses that you can list that you “made” during this visit, the higher the reimbursement. She may have added some diagnoses so that she could charge more. But I think that using that diagnosis and her defense if it are completely inappropriate. He should complain to the California Medical Board about this. They may not do anything, but she will sweat while they investigate her. And keeping her name private, no. She needs to be outed for what she did.

21. This doctor and her potential malpractice was documented on local tv in Los Angeles:

22. I would have sued her, and donated the money to a GLBT based charity.
    Double pwnage to the homophobe.

23. Pauline jackson 9 Aug 2013, 9:45pm

I think that its a fake doctor. But how many others have been told that!!!!!!!!!!!!. It could be very harmfull.

24. What if a parent drags a suicidal young LGBT person to that doctor’s surgery? That young person’s life would literally be in danger. It’s disturbing that this doctor is being allowed to continue practising.

25. SilenceIsGolden 10 Aug 2013, 1:18am

I have a complete different issue with this article “by” Aaron Day — how can it be by him, if all he added was an intro and the related stories in the last two paragraphs and EVERYTHING else is verbatim from the original article??? Without even linking back to it, mind you, or citing the source. Shoddy journalism or rather plagiarism. Seriously. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Manhattan-Beach-Doctor-Diagnoses-Patient-Gay-Homosexual-Behavior-218943481.html

26. Malpractice. Matthew Moore is more excusing than I might be in thatsituation. I just hope they at least internally disciplined the doctor.

27. As this doctor has behaved in a blatantly unethical manner the California Medical Board should bar her from practicing

28. They should name her, what happens to the next LGBT person who comes to her for help

29. Why not ? I would sue the hell out of this quack !!

30. Indeed, it is a disease. Good new, there a cure for it.

31. Iam sorry but you aren’t taking the high road by allowing people to blindly walk into her office, consider the hypothetical 14 year old kid. Wanker.