The 20 most shocking anti-gay news stories from Russia so far

1. Colin (London) 8 Aug 2013, 11:37am

Sad, disgusting and inhuman. I hope you don’t mind but I sent a link to the BBC Today programme on Radio 4 asking them to raise the profile of this situation.

I so hope my faith in the BBC will yield there raising the profile of what is going on in Russia and that the Olympics will be moved away from Russia.

We are trying our Russian brothers and sisters. We are trying.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Aug 2013, 12:20pm

Colin, admirable but I very much doubt if the BBC is going to cover this in any detail, perhaps a quick mention just as it did with the equal marriage law passing. Unless of course Cameron issues an official condemnation by the government which might make it newsworthy.

I’m waiting for the religious leaders in the UK to issue a statement, but I won’t hold my breath on that. So far, deafening silence.

1. Colin (London) 8 Aug 2013, 12:54pm

Robert you are probably right but somehow we need to get through to the BBC or they have to tell us why we are being ignored. Their conflict will be televising the Olympics, government stance on dealings with Russia versus human and equality issues in Russia.

BBC this is why i pay my licence fee. Otherwise break up the BBC as its as good as ITV. (they do some excellent journalism) mmm

Best wishes Robert

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Aug 2013, 1:10pm

I agree Colin. I also contacted them recently regarding the lack of coverage of the marriage bill and asked how can they justify their licence fee. All I received was a dismissive email thanking me for contacting them without any reasonable explanation in addressing the actual complaint.

I’d like to see movement to overturn the licencing fee and you’re right, ITV provides some very good coverage of important issues. I’m trying to avoid tuning in to any BBC programming from now on.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 8 Aug 2013, 1:21pm

Robert, no-one should be put off by these non-answers as this first stage blandishment is standard practice. You have to go back to the complaints page with your complaint reference code and insist on an answer. Be precise in your question and pin them down. If that doesn’t work have it escalated to Fran Unsworth, Director of News.

2. The BBC is now nothing more than a government propaganda machine, they won’t report on any major stories unless given backing by the government. I very much doubt the government will want to highlight this issue at all, and will stick to allowing the BBC to mention it here and there on their site.

The limited reporting they have done on the issue of LGBT rights in Russia has been muted and biased, with only mention of the laws passed and no mention of the violence or killings.

I might be proven wrong, but the BBC has recently been proving itself as a willing puppet of government and religion.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Aug 2013, 1:12pm

More a puppet of religion with catholics at the helm. The coverage of the marriage bill was absolutely disgraceful and the programming around it equally so, unbalanced and clearly biased in favour of the opposition. We should not be paying licence fees either.

2. The media has been used as a propaganda tool for quite some time now. Tony Blair made good use of it for the manufacturing of consent for war, and has took a leaf out Bush’s book in using the media to frighten the population into blind submission. The threat of terror is always there, and they capitalize on tragedy to insight fear, paranoia, seperation, race hate in order to gradually erode rights and shutting down of freedom of speech and democracy.

We go on and on about how Russia is similar to the Nazi Regime but are all too willing too ignore how our own government is becoming increasingly totalitarian.

I mean just look at those “go home” vans and the CCTV propaganda posters saying “for your own protection” with the big gazing eye, it’s so orwellian it’s beyond belief.

And don’t even get me started on the media’s shockingly questionable reporting of 9/11, 7/7 and the War on Terror.

Mr. Pink

2. Helge Vladimir Tiller 8 Aug 2013, 12:30pm

Thank you PinkNews-but bring forwards the numbers of shocking anti-gay news stories from other major countries as well ! ( I do not like these New Laws in Russia-just to mention that ! )

3. Former Empires, which have become impotent and emascualted are, potentially, a huge danger. What is now happening in Russia is exactly akin to pre-WW2 Germany. The International Community MUST act before this despotic regime perpetrates even more vile oppression of other monorities.

1. If Russia is going down that road, then it is only a matter of time before Putin goes after Russia’s former colonies in eastern, southern, and central Europe. The EU and America really should slap Putin’s attempted empire down now before it starts, as Konstantin Dolgov, senior Russian Foreign Ministry official would say, “fulfilling it’s obligations” to the international community by murdering people beyond it’s own borders.

1. It’s also important to remember the role that the Russian Orthodox Church is continuing to play in this – they are co-conspirators with the Putin gov’t in organizing this pogrom of LGBTs. This resonates with other countries where Eastern Orthodoxy is the principal religion. In Greece, the fascist Golden Dawn party has the full support of the church and has won several seats in the Greek Parliament.

4. Mumbo Jumbo 8 Aug 2013, 1:30pm

Check out the video in example four where the activist is being harassed.

Whilst not wishing to make light of a serious issue, I swear those Russian paratroopers in their little blue berets, tight stripey muscle vests and camouflage pants are the gayest thing you will ever see.

1. Colin (London) 8 Aug 2013, 2:04pm

If it wasn’t so serious I’d agree……mmmph. Sometimes I just wonder at the world.

5. Dr Martin Leyland 8 Aug 2013, 3:25pm

I don’t think that anyone is against a law preventing promotion of sexual activity to minors. The Russians however have used it as a carte blache to attack and oppress anyone they don’t like. This week a couple were attacked (man and wife) for simply “looking gay.”
    The police and authorities are turning a blind eye as if violence is quite ok with them. This is abandoning the rule of law.
    One might also note the gay teen whose picture has flashed across the internet. Who could forget the image of him kneeling, naked and humiliated whilst Neo-Nazi thugs leered at the camera? Yet the authoriities said they saw “nothing wrong” in the picture.
    Curiously, although he has since died according to Human Rights observers, that doesn’t feature in this “20 most shocking stories.”
    I would have thought that it would be near the top of most people’s list?

1. I am against such a law because it is based on the moronic idea that people choose to be gay. Every gay adult was once a gay child and laws such as that prevent them from hearing that there is nothing wrong with them.

6. Unemployed, neo nazi losers. The fish stinks first at the top – Putin! We’ve seen this coming for years.
    What a country!

7. care to develop ’cause i can’t seem to understand your point.

1. It’s “keith” – he lacks the ability to converse or debate like a normal person. He has deep seated issues about sexuality that cannot be rectified by anybody on here. It’s better to just ignore and let him get on with it before he burns himself out or finds understanding and happiness and moves on to finally go to that sc@t club he can’t stop thinking about, or to finally make his move on that sexy farm animal that’s been giving him the eye recently.

Mr. Pink

8. Punkkitty 8 Aug 2013, 5:27pm

This is how holocausts begin.

9. Mark Young 8 Aug 2013, 6:57pm

The middle east have been doing all these things for decades to their LGBT citizens. Now russia has joined the ‘backward brigade’, hopefully the western world will start to stand up to not only russia, but other countries that violate human rights towards their LGBT citizens.

10. Well done, Aaron Day, for cataloguing all of these events.

Please continue to do so.

And, Pink News, please continue to publish the list.

The rest of us should circulate links to this page.

11. Are the paratroopers unaware of how incredibly gay their outfits look?

12. Does the Russian police have no discipline? Have they no actual crime to be fighting. No murders, break ins, theft, drug use?

13. Jon (Malaysia) 9 Aug 2013, 1:20am

Can some of my Brit cousins explain television license to me please? When I first came to M’sia from US in 1998 I first heard about this thing and was totally flabbergasted to hear of such a concept. I needed a license to own or watch a tv? I understand why I have a driving license; it’s to prove I’m competent to drive a car but for a television? Is it to prove I am competent to watch tv? Maybe they test to see if I can properly change channels and control the volumn? Anyway I said screw this I won’t get a tv. No need as I can get all the entertainment I want and all the news sources on my computer. Anyway there’s nothing on tv. At that time cable and satellite wasn’t allowed. We now have 1 satellite service. Shortly after I arrived then prime minister Dr. Mahathir, as a “gift” to the people removed the television license just before an election so I kinda didn’t bother pursuing the issue. I’m not totally stupid, I really know it’s a kinda tax but the concept is absurd to me

1. GingerlyColors 9 Aug 2013, 11:59am

In the United Kingdom we have over many television channels that are free to view through either digital or free satellite. Some of these channels are owned by the British Broadcasting Corporation or BBC which is government owned but unlike state television in other countries is politically neutral, or at least supposed to be. We currently have seven BBC TV channels which do not show advertising and instead are financed through the Television Licence Fee which currently costs around £145 per year. While some people grumble about having to pay the fee which equates to about 40 pence a day, I personally think it is great value for money as it means not having my enjoyment ruined by stupid, moronic commercials every few minutes plus the fact that over the decades the BBC has produced many fine programmes, series and documentaries. The BBC caters for all age ranges from shows like Teletubbies, Balamory and Blue Peter for younger viewers through to long running shows such as Eastenders

1. GingerlyColors 9 Aug 2013, 12:10pm

and Doctor Who which have been running for many years now. Other classic, long running BBC shows included Grandstand and Top Of The Pops but no longer broadcast as viewing habits have changed thanks to digital and satellite which enable people to watch sport and music 27-7. The BBC TV started in the mid 1930′s and BBC2 was added in 1962. Colour broadcasts began in 1967 and with the arrival of digital extra channels catering for children, news and special interests were added.
        As well as the Licence Fee – supported BBC channels, we have a smorgasbord of free-to-view commercial channels, financed through TV advertising both home-grown and from abroad, mainly the USA but we also have Al Jazeera and even Russia Today.
        In addition to those channels there are subscription channels available mainly through the BskyB network catering for the latest shows from the USA and sport. There are also adult channels available via subscription.

14. Абсурд 9 Aug 2013, 5:32am

Всё это очень большое преувеличение, кому то просто нужно настроить другие страны против России. Все мы адекватные люди и должны понимать что идиоты есть в каждой стране, а нормальный человек никогда не станет покушаться на права других людей. Так что верьте чему хотите, но хороших, добрых у нас больше.

1. GingerlyColors 9 Aug 2013, 11:37am

I copied and pasted the above into translate.google.com and this is what it says:

All this is very much an exaggeration, someone just need to adjust other countries against Russia. All the appropriate people and we need to understand that there are idiots in every country, but a normal person would never encroach upon the rights of others. So believe what you want, but good, good, we have more.

2. Это не абсурд. Это политика Путина.

15. Frank Boulton 9 Aug 2013, 5:33am

This is a really helpful piece of work. There are just so many reports of homophobic incidents in Russia, that I’ve been finding it difficult to select which ones I should draw to the attention of the local Labour Party in my city in New Zealand. I’ll bring just this one article to their attention.

16. We should ban propaganda of Russia. It is harmful to children, they might turn into ruskies when they grow up! So, I suggest we close down Russia Today (RT) TV channel, nationalize all russian owned media, banks and energy companies in the west, show the door to Russian Ballet groups, boycott their movies.. OH, and don’t forget to arrest anyone who goes in defence of Russia or ever says a good word about that country. All for the good of our children!

17. My take on the Russia, the winter Olympics and a boycott

18. …people really forget that being ‘homosexual’ does not automatically mean your NOT healthy in mind and body, AND certainly not handicapped; although it seems that people treat Gays exactly like this—’don’t you know that anyone who’s gay should not be taken seriously!’

19. Look at another disgusting NEW video gay teenager tortured by Russian homophobes http://youtu.be/UD7xY6agxAE