Canada: Women’s group accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of abusing his position by supporting gay rights

1. Oh My God! I’m so sad to see that even in my Canada we got such bigots. Was just a question of time before we would have the misfortune to see this ugly beastly head even here.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Aug 2013, 4:58pm

Yes, MarKo, and don’t forget your Stephen Harper isn’t much better either when he called for a referendum on equal marriage and lost that one thankfully.

2. Dear, oh dear!

Gwendolyn, let me ask you this. If innocent women were being routinely assaulted, raped and imprisoned just because they are women would you then be accusing Mr Baird of abusing his position for speaking out?

What’s that? No? I thought not!

I doubt that she has even bothered to read about what is going on in Russia before she opened her trap.

1. And I’ve just carried out a search to find out who she is and it comes as no surprise that she is a practicing Catholic.

1. Aren’t Catholic women supposed to shut-up and let their husbands teach them at home? Next you know, they’ll think they are actually people with rights and such!! Get back in the kitchen and make us some pie–there! That traditional catholic standards for you.
        Oh! Wait, you want to live a fullfilling life and make your own life choices? Well deary, so do we!

1. I think that would be true of all religions, the women are meant to be pretty much seen but not heard.

Funny how they are very selective on what parts they choose.

1. That’s what I was getting at in a sacastic way. I find self-righteous people only care if their rights are securred and don’t care about those who they look down their noses at!
            They don’t follow Christian teaching at all, they just full of pride, ambition, status seeking and hypocrosy!
            Jesus throws-up!

2. Here’s my own story of escape from the catholic church if you want to look

3. No religion respects women. They are for serving men is the foundation of all religions: cleaning, cooking, breeding and pleasuring man.

3. Send these bitches to Russia.

4. Christopher Coleman 8 Aug 2013, 4:30pm

The whole point of high public office is that it gives the holder a position from which to voice opinions on world affairs. Speaking out for human rights is not an abuse of position. These women need some serious education in social values.

5. Please, let’s not give this group, “REAL Women”, any free advertising.

Like the ideologically similar “One Million Moms” in the U.S. they are a TINY fringe group of fanatics. They are not deserving of any space in the media.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Aug 2013, 4:56pm

They don’t even have one million women in their group, so it’s a misnomer.

6. Helge Vladimir Tiller 8 Aug 2013, 4:42pm

J. Baird has, as far as I know, done a great job to increase acceptance for LGBTQ People in Canada !( –refugees and so on—) Thank you, dear Gentleman !

1. I have had the pleaseure of meeting John Baird at social occaisions a few times (I live in Ottawa). He is a very warm man who genuinely cares about others. I for one am glad he is in the government.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 8 Aug 2013, 6:12pm

And so are those who work in IRQR- Toronto- ! They really like Mr,Baird. I live in Norway and support this organization. Lovely Canada !

7. I wonder what these women would make of the men who “abused their positions” by supporting WOMEN’S rights, and WOMEN’S right to vote or live as they see fit?

It’s awful to see a formerly persecuted minority deny the rights of other minorities, and in doing so totally disrespecting all the people who fought and died for the rights they now take for granted.

Mr. Pink

1. Women aren’t a minority (in fact they’re the majority I believe?) but I agree with what you’re saying.

1. I think the minority alluded to was women in seats of power or women with voice in the public square. Am I right Mr. Pink?

2. They may be majority in numbers, but the real world is still very much a boys only club. Sexism and mysoginy are still running rampant, in many ways you never even notice.

Sometimes being a “minority” is not a matter of numbers

2. Forgive my pedantry but just couldn’t help myself. ;)

8. Christopher in Canada 8 Aug 2013, 6:11pm

The usual crap – based on the idea that these good-looking, fit men should be screwing women rather than preferring to be with each other. That’s all this is.

9. “REAL Women” are a far right antifeminist ‘women’s’ group of fundamentalist and conservative Catholic female bigots and misfits who are, basically, extremists.

We used to have a similar outfit down here in New Zealand called Women for Life, which then became the Family Education Network because most of its members were men. Then it shut down altogether.

10. The silence of the Canadian PM on this issue is……revealing.

11. Given the extreme right-wing and socially conservative position of “The Harper Government”, Landolt’s caracterisation of “himself and his fellow acivists and the left-wing elitists” is hillarious! REAL (sic) Women has lost any fringe credibility they may have had.