UKIP MEP who allegedly called lesbian MEP ‘queer’ embroiled in race row

1. Even the stupidest and most nieve people in the world would know better than to use such a silly phrase as ‘Bongo Bongo Land’ ! Some politicians really need to give their head a wobble…

Mr.Pink

2. UKIP reveals it’s colours again

3. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Aug 2013, 1:50pm

The only positive thing about this is that Ms. Sinclaire had the intelligence to depart UKIP. I mean, what on earth could homophobic and xenophobic hate group UKIP have to offer LGBT people that vigorously opposed equal marriage?

4. I'm shocked. 7 Aug 2013, 1:50pm

I am not usually one for sarcasm, which is why this article came as a real shock. I mean, who would have thought it? Such as surprise.

1. Openly Fabulous 7 Aug 2013, 2:16pm

I know, I mean isn’t that weird? Really, really weird.

5. Dave Nash 7 Aug 2013, 2:02pm

Godfrey Bloom is a dinosaur, what upsets me the most is that people keep voting him in. He’s an outspoken, narrow-minded, ill-educated chauvinist, voting for him is akin to voting for the return to open-sewers, workhouses, debtors’ prisons and no votes for women.

6. Benjamin Gallagher 7 Aug 2013, 2:14pm

Godfrey Bloom is a great man, and would make the best Chancellor the UK has ever seen – far greater than the amateurs of the Conservative Gideon and Labour Balls. He predicted the Euro disaster before the Euro even existed, he is a professional financial economist.
    He is actually an equality activist, particularly for women. He is just very frank and very outspoken.
    He is also not entirely wrong. Through the EU, the UK has paid for a water park in Morocco. Through the EU, the UK has paid for a car factory in turkey – which then replaced one of our own car factories, putting British people out of work.
    UKIP is not racist, not homophobic and not zenophobic.
    Source: I am gay, I know UKIP back to front, and I’ve supported them since 2004.
    Read things up, Lefties.

1. And what has the UK, through the EU, paid for in Bongo Bongo Land? I’ve tried googling without any luck.

1. Benjamin Gallagher 7 Aug 2013, 2:28pm

His comment about Bongo Bongo Land wasn’t about aid through the EU, it was about direct UK aid – which is also a problem.
        If you, as I, watched the full speech, you’d realise what he was on about. Donating money to fake charities, not receiving audits of what these causes do with the money, many have gigantic managerial salaries.
        The British public want foreign aid cut, it’s undeniable! He just worded it in his own way :’)

1. Oh, OK, I understand now. He made a non-racist, non-xenophobic remark about a real problem, and just by coincidence happened to accidentally use the well-known language of a racist.

1. benjamingallagher 7 Aug 2013, 2:51pm

Well, not really. More like the language of a non-racist comedian. Unlike most politicians, he has a sense of humour.
            He isn’t racist, he is married to a Polish lady!
            :P

2. Marrying a Pole doesn’t immunise you from all forms of racism or xenophobia. I know a bloke who married a black woman and still came out with anti-black remarks (of course his wife wasn’t like the rest of them). There was also that racist politician in the States who died a few years ago, and after he died it was revealed he’d had a child with a black woman. Does that mean he wasn’t *really* racist? Of course it doesn’t.

2. “Read things up, Lefties”. A rather pathetic rebuke, and not one which we shall be worrying about (not being a ‘lefty’ myself – more dead centre, but certainly nowhere near the UKIP right). That’s also a statement I normally here from far-right circles. I could list several UKIP policies which are racist, homophobic and xenophobic (not ‘zenophobic’ as you call it) but I really can’t be bothered to write them all down here. Interesting that, despite being gay, you support a party that did not support equal marriage.
      The interesting thing about UKIP is that they claim to have all the answers. Except that, if they came to power, things would very quickly fall apart. The only reason they are getting any votes at all is because the main 3 political parties have messed things up. When this happens, people look to more extreme options.
      You claim to know UKIP ‘back to front’. Really? If that were true, then I doubt you’d be supporting them right now.

1. Benjamin Gallagher 7 Aug 2013, 2:39pm

Trust me, you know nothing of what you speak.
        And if anything, UKIP is not right-wing enough. If we had proportional voting, I’d support the Libertarian Party.
        Actually, you could not list several UKIP policies that are prejudiced – they don’t exist. As soon as I posted my comment, and noticed that I had misspelled xenophobia, I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to sink to that pathetic level of argument. You’ve won the prize.
        I, honestly, could not care about gay marriage. Why on earth would I base my vote on a single word, ‘marriage’. I base it on things which are actually important; the economic policies, policy on Europe, borders, welfare, energy and environment.
        People are voting for UKIP because the modern Conservative party doesn’t listen or appeal to the working class. The working class want UKIP’s policies. They want to be out of the European Union, they want our parliament to be able to control our borders, they want cheap energy, they don’t want aid.

3. RedDevil9 7 Aug 2013, 2:25pm

I suppose if you asked me for an orange and I sold you an apple, you’d just buy that too.

‘Not racist, not homophobic, not xenophobic’?

Yes they are. They’re power-crazy, elitist bigots, who see themselves as ‘more deserving’ than others, based solely on difference. They will say anything that gets them the vote. They’re deliberately fanning the flames of hatred to garner support. Shouldn’t that be enough for you to see right through them?

4. Oh, and here are some of the examples of him being an outspoken equality activist for women:

“I am here to represent Yorkshire women who always have dinner on the table when you get home. I am going to promote men’s rights.”

“Terrified young women beaten into prostitution often from Eastern Europe… is only a very small aspect of the flesh trade.”

“In short, most girls do it because they want to.”

“If they (prostitutes) wanted a job as a Tesco check-out girl, they’d go do that instead.”

“Mr Bloom asked a colleague ‘Isn’t she the most delicious bimbette? Absolutely thick, but good tits’. Of the businesswoman who he had invited to share the platform at the next day’s press conference, Mr Bloom had only four words: ‘big tits, very feisty’.”

1. Benjamin Gallagher 7 Aug 2013, 2:43pm

I can’t speak on many of those points, except this “No self-respecting small businessman with a brain in the right place would ever employ a lady of child-bearing age.”
        He was not agreeing with the statement, he was saying what actually happens. If you watch the full speech, it’ll make sense.
        He is stating that a small businessman wouldn’t employ a woman of child bearing age because there is the risk that she would get pregnant. The small businessman would not be able to afford to be without a worker, would not be able to afford any maternity pay, would not able to employ more people to take over her work if she required less hours.
        He never says it is right, he thinks it’s deplorable, but he is stating that is what unfortunately happens.

1. He actually used the term ‘men’s rights’, he is clearly blinded to the whole concept of privilege and a straight white man using the term ‘bongo bongo land’ running this country would prove disastrous for local and international social tensions, which is the last thing a country needs in economic meltdown.

Nieve people turn to parties like this in desperation, nationalism and tribalism breeds seperation and paranoia and more often than not chaos ensues. It happened in Gemany, it happened in Bosnia, Rwanda, Italy, Cambodia. It should not happen here.

1. Benjamin Gallagher 7 Aug 2013, 3:03pm

People like you are poison. MY GOD, READ THE MANIFESTO.
            UKIP believe in small government and privatisation. Godfrey Bloom is a libertarian! That is the opposite to fascism. The NAZI party (The National Socialists) believed in big government, with government controlled services, and all the rest.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Aug 2013, 5:32pm

If you don’t like big government, don’t use the NHS, social security, police, fire brigade, and how would you privatise the military? Name one country that has. Not even America can even do that and loves big government when it comes to unlimited defence spending. I take it you pay for your health care and go private? If not, why not?

5. “He predicted the Euro disaster before the Euro even existed”

People who would like to be in charge of the economy predict economic disaster all the time. If he is such a fantastic economist, perhaps he should tell his party that their plans to increase spending, cut taxes, and reduce the deficit all at the same time don’t make a lot of sense.

“He is actually an equality activist, particularly for women.”

So what has he done to promote equality, other than repeatedly making misogynistic, xenophobic, and homophobic comments?

“UKIP is not racist, not homophobic and not zenophobic.”

1. Benjamin Gallagher 7 Aug 2013, 2:58pm

UKIP has little or no plans to increase spending. Tax cuts, yes.
        There is this rumour that UKIP has a hole in it’s planned budget to the tune of **billion. This is not true, it is in the process of publishing a fully costed budget.

He is/was the chair of a women’s rights board, actually.

“Very few racists, homophobes, and xenophobes admit to being racist, homophobic, or xenophobic.” Well, you could apply that filter to anybody. Where would you stop?
        David Cameron, Boris Johnson, Ed Miliband, Caroline Lucas, Doreen Lawrence – none of them have claimed to be racist… that must mean they are! Absolutely ridiculous :’)

6. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Aug 2013, 3:04pm

Is that you, Spanner?

1. GingerlyColors 7 Aug 2013, 3:57pm

It’s not Spanner, I met him recently and his real name is not Benjamin!

7. If you’re gay then I’m a lesbian

1. Benjamin Gallagher 7 Aug 2013, 3:11pm

This is the problem. Why is there this silly perception that gay people can’t be right wing? Right wing is the natural position for working classes.
        David Starkey, for example, is a gay and conservative.

1. “Right wing is the natural position for working classes.”

Please cite your sources and show your working out.

2. Metsän poika 7 Aug 2013, 4:30pm

‘David Starkey, for example, is a gay and conservative.’

Yes, he’s also a tosser.

3. Ben just shoot me now because we are all different and think differently ….. Enjoy your life in the heat as you’ve sold your soul to the wrong person and god has kept the copy write .

7. If you are gay , then you must be young (15-17) no body in their right mind would vote for this toss pot , if he’s not homophobic then I’ve got a Virgina for you to play with .

1. Benjamin Gallagher 7 Aug 2013, 2:46pm

I said I started supporting UKIP in 2004. If you think I’m fifteen now, how old do you think I was when I started supporting UKIP, six?

1. Your mentality is of an 6 year old so that’s why I asked, but then again even six year olds can be bright .

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Aug 2013, 5:33pm

It is our UKIP troll, Spanner. Just as bad as that other troll, Keith using different aliases.

8. Bongo Bongo is a racist term 7 Aug 2013, 2:59pm

We need to ask ourselves why we are NOT doing more to expose the day to day racism and homophobia of UKIP ?

1. Benjamin Gallagher 7 Aug 2013, 3:06pm

Well, give an example. Go through the manifestos or the website and find a policy which is discriminatory; you won’t find one.
      UKIP is the only party in British politics that FORBIDS any former- BNP, NF or EDL members from joining. The Labour Party has former BNP councillors currently sitting.

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Aug 2013, 4:01pm

“UKIP is the only party in British politics that FORBIDS any former- BNP, NF or EDL members from joining”

That’s only because they can do pretty will with hatred for others all by themselves.

2. Who is this Benjamin cnut? UKIP PR? fak off

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Aug 2013, 5:34pm

I think it may well be UKIP troll, Spanner.

3. “UKIP is the only party in British politics that FORBIDS any former- BNP, NF or EDL members from joining…..”
        Three words: Suspiciously specific denial.
        All the main political parties don’t need to have such a specific prohibition because their policies aren’t a magnet that attracts BNP, NF, and EDL mooks. And any such mooks present in the other parties know well enough to remain inactive and keep their mouths shut.

2. In Ramsgate Kent, a former National Front candidate was selected by UKIP and is now one of their Ramsgate councillors.

9. He phrased it terribly, but the comments about aid are true. The country is in ridiculous amounts of debt and our public services are being cut left and right and we’re sending off all this money abroad. It makes no sense whatsoever.

At the very least, foreign aid should have been frozen at 2010 levels for a few years until we have money to spend again.

1. That would be wonderful if Ukip didn’t breach its own rules. In the recent Kent County Council elections, a former National Front candidate was elected as a UKIP COUNCILLOR for RAMSGATE. The party turned a blind eye and the TV media ignored it….. ………………….. FACT: UKIP HAS AN EX-FAR-RIGHT PARTY COUNCILLOR IN RAMSGATE! stop making excuses for haters – we don’t buy it!

1. I’m not interested in your partisan nonsense. What I am interested in is the truth.

And whilst he may have phrased it in racist terms, what he is saying is right. Cut foreign aid and cut it now. Start spending the money on paying down the debt or use it to create something sorely lacking in our own country: JOBS.

10. Bloom’s comments were reported on BBC Breakfast this morning. The presenter said that they had a lot of people contacting them to give their support to his comments.

The ring-fencing and misuse of the ‘overseas development’ budget is wrong (IMO), but only an unintelligent or sadistic person would be racist (as Bloom is) to express opposition to the way the aid is administered.

We can only hope that UKIP do not have a successful General Election, although a shift to the right of the political spectrum has been occurring worldwide. Far-right politics has gained strength in recent years across Europe. Indeed, some eastern European governments could be described as far-right. What we are witnessing in Russia is perhaps a symptom of that.

There are similarities with the 1930s – economically and politically; and societally with hardened opinions and resulting scapegoating of minorities.

11. Jock S. Trap 7 Aug 2013, 3:52pm

People who wish to raise an issue and debate it will be noticed for just that.

But people who use despicable language to highlight an argument only do so to get noticed themselves, making the argument or debate nil and void.

All this vile man shows up is the north/south divide when it comes to cultural issues and the fact that UKip represent the racist, homophobic, sexist, xenophobic elements of society no different to that of the BNP!

Oh and anyone who thinks UKip stand up for the working class when they come from the extreme elements of the Old bigoted Conservatives are seriously misguided fools!

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Aug 2013, 3:57pm

Perhaps to save money UKip would campaign to stop Aid going to all homophobic countries….. NO? thought not!

2. I’m not sure what you’re addressing with the North/South divide thing, could you elaborate?

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Aug 2013, 5:01pm

In my experience in areas like the cities, people are more accepting of a multicultural society as the norm than those in rural, predominately white areas.

Perhaps North/South divide isn’t right but I have been to quite a few places around the country and mostly up north have I found that racial/homophobic even sexist language/attitudes/stereotypes the norm as if acceptable.

Sadly this idiot stated that he spoke as many would understand him from his Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire “constituency”. It is very primitive and I think people like him find the unacceptable excuse of “I’m older”, “It’s how people used to say things”, “I find it hard to change” acceptable. Fact is they don’t want to change as they have no willing to. It’s this ignorance that stop them moving with society, so they can claim to stay in the “good” ol days.

Shame that those good ol discriminating days they want are just that, gone. Better has come it’s a shame they fail to keep up.

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Aug 2013, 5:03pm

I know these kind of people exist everywhere but more so, I have found the more North of England you go.

By no means though do I mean everyone.

12. Peter Robertson 7 Aug 2013, 4:20pm

It is unfortunate that a valid point was lost in the fury over ill-chosen words.

Few people would object to aid being given if it could be shown to be providing actual assistance to those who need it most and not ending up in the pockets of corrupt officials.

To mention just one example about Egypt (OK – it’s from The Telegraph, a paper I cannot stand):

A report from the European Court of Auditors is “highly critical” of the funding
    [to Egypt] both before and after the Arab Spring.

“The commission and (EEAS) failed to ensure that the Egyptian authorities tackled major weaknesses. Lack of budgetary transparency, an ineffective audit function and endemic corruption were all examples of these undermining weaknesses,” the report said.

13. Metsän poika 7 Aug 2013, 4:33pm

OMG, he sounds just like my dad.

14. This man, in such a position of authority – and with a salary commensurate with the position – is a loud-mouthed fool and should be removed from office.
    How can a man with such a mouth be trusted to represent we, the voters, in Brussels?
    Get rid, I say. He’s a disgrace to his party so let’s see how Farrage deals with him.

15. Just shows how a typical UKIP member thinks. He should lose his seat.