Stephen Fry warns David Cameron: Putin is making scapegoats of gay people, just as Hitler did Jews

1. Always eloquent, and spoken with great passion and absolute logic.

Agree robustly.

1. I could not agree more.

2. What else would we expect from Stephen Fry?

A brilliantly written letter, let us all hope that those he addresses takes note of what he says and indeed some actions are the result.

3. I could not begin to compete with the eloquence of our ‘national treasure’ so I won’t try … except to say that the similarities between what is now happening in Russia – emascualted by recent history – and pre-WW2 Germany is frightening. The world should be VERY concerned where this sitiation could lead. Dictatorships with damaged egos will always seek out scapegoats. Halting The Winter Games is the very least The IOC should do. If they don’t, they are cowardly scumbags with blood on their hands.

4. Tm Hanafin 7 Aug 2013, 12:10pm

Wow! Impassioned yet coherently argued. Please share!

5. Helge Vladimir Tiller 7 Aug 2013, 12:37pm

Oh my dear World-This Stephen Fry is superb and an angel in society ! Millions of LGBTQ persons from many countries send him their best wishes.

1. I agree! For Singapore, thank you Stephen Fry! You have spoken for us as one community!

6. Impeccable logic, coherently stated! I stand with Stephen Fry !

7. I am in awe once again of this mans courage and willingness to speak out. Stephen makes great sense and has articulated my own feelings immaculately. I have felt so desperate to do something, I can’t abide bullies in any shape or form the scene of the young gay man being surrounded by 11 burly Russian paratroopers was just horrific. I hope he is ok! I would gladly wave a rainbow flag in red square, and challenge the bullies, but that would not change a dot. Instead I stand shoulder to shoulder with Stephen and all my fellow man/womankind whom oppose this dark age corrupt political so called Russian government. Sign the ALLOUT.ORG petition and never take your hard earned freedoms for granted. Love, Graham.

1. he has written a letter in the UK where he has freedom of speech, there is absolutely nothing courageous about that.

He has directly contradicted the wishes of the Russian LGBT Netowrk in supporting a boycott.

The last time he made mention of the Holocaust, he made a mess of it and realising his error accepted lunch at the Polish Embassy andmade his apologies to the deeply gracious Polish Akmbassador.

1. What have you done Clare? He has been to Russia and confronted them in person too, or didn’t you read that far?

What is your solution to this, please enlighten us?

8. BlokeToys 7 Aug 2013, 1:08pm

Mr. Fry never ceases to amaze me with his logic and common sense. Why is it that we elect so many buffoons and repeat the words of so many idiots across our media when there are men and women like him across our country who could more accurately and succinctly represent the thoughts and wishes of our population?

These are the words of a leader, if only a leader of British culture (which is no insignificant thing).

As always, I admire this man, and his integrity and morality, immensely.

Well done Mr. Fry!

1. You make a good point: why wasn’t Stephen appointed to the House of Lords with the recent bunch? He’s got more intelligence, compassion and common sense than most of them put together…

1. Because he has been in jail? I agree about his intelligence, compassion and common sense.

9. ‘Stephen Fry compares Russian Winter Olympics to Nazi hosted 1936 Olympics…’

It certainly looks and feels like that. Innsbruck could easily host the 2014 Winter Games again in a hurry

10. Mumbo Jumbo 7 Aug 2013, 1:15pm

According to Human rights Watch and the Guardian, the Russian authorities are now arresting journalists who have the temerity to write anything negative about Sochi:

11. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Aug 2013, 1:27pm

Nobody could have put into words better than Stephen. In deepest gratitude.

12. GulliverUK 7 Aug 2013, 1:31pm

Human cycles often repeat. I recently watched what appeared to be John Boswell’s only YouTube posted lecture. He pointed out the many slurs made in parts of Europe and the denomisation of people and invited the audience to see if they could tell which group, Jews or Gays, he was talking about. It turned out the same slurs had been used against both groups between 1250 and 1350, and Russia has a problem with both of those groups still today, almost exclusively down to our old trusty friend religion. It was religion then, it’s religion again.

But given that we’ve long forgotten 1250ad, but not forgotten the late 30s and early to mid 40s, he’s right to be worried, I think we can all see what “could” happen if any country is allowed to carry on like this. That goes for those African nations too.

13. Jock S. Trap 7 Aug 2013, 1:33pm

I agree.

I don’t see why in the west the LGBT community can be open and proud and then tell us when we go to the Olympics in Russia we have to go back in the closet. It’s just not good enough.

Esp when they arresting people just for ‘looking gay’ whatever that means.

It’s shameful.

14. Fantastic letter Mr. Fry. This letter should convince anyone why sporting events should not be held in Russia. It is not just the Olympics, but Athletics, and Football too we need to convince.
    Why should people support a totalitarian homophobic regime. Why should we go back in the closet when we visit.
    We should support our brothers and sisters in Russia against this regime.

1. Yes, and now we will see WHICH “names” have the gumption and the simple guts to stand up, to stand out, and to say exactly the same.

15. I agree with him 100%.

Russia 2013 is comparable to Berlin 1936.

Although I do wish Mr Fry could remember that it was not only Jews who were persecuted by Germany.

The gay community has been here before as well.

The nazis had a final solution for us as well. This is history repeating.

16. Fantastic letter,Mr Fry!!!!

17. Kenton Forshee 7 Aug 2013, 1:55pm

Love you Stephen.

18. Wow. Wonderful comprehensive letter. Let’s see if it hits its mark.

1. Thanks for that link, Gulliver. That there is a possibility that the US Olympic Committee will actually support Russia’s brutal homophobic stance is numbing.

2. jo victor 8 Aug 2013, 4:13pm

Actually, there are 3 different petitions urging an Olympic boycott in support of LGBT human rights (which means, sadly, that each is diluting the support for the others).

19. Commander Thor 7 Aug 2013, 2:08pm

Go sniff some poop.

20. Does anyone of critics of the law read it? I think, no. And this sounds like “I didn’t read it, but I I blame it”. It very pitiful sight.

1. Commander Thor 7 Aug 2013, 2:14pm

Can you provide us with a translation that you personally approve of? Otherwise don’t bother complaining. Idiot.

21. Sadly the vast majority of people will not be stopped from attending these farcical games which are supposed to unite the world – time for sanctions against ‘USSR’?

22. II join in the general praise of Stephen Fry’s letter, and in doing so deepen further my gratitude and admiration of the man. I hope it gets read in the right places and that someone will have the guts to act upon it, not only in the case of the Winter Olympics but in Africa as well.

Thanks Stephen

23. Peter Johnson 7 Aug 2013, 2:39pm

Thank you for writing this, Stephen! Nobody could have said it better – but more people should at least try to say SOMETHING!

24. janette rickman 7 Aug 2013, 2:44pm

This made me weep for the future of mankind. Putin is nothing more than a tyrant. I will spread the word – we all need to.

25. A fantastic letter by Stephen Fry. I don’t think anyone could have described the situation any better. Cameron, Rogge, Coe and IOC members must now take notice and act unless they’re like Neville Chamberlain.

A sentence in his letter made me think of Cameron’s leadership of this country: “A stupid man, but like so many tyrants, one with an instinct of how to exploit a disaffected people by finding scapegoats.”

Cameron isn’t a tyrant but due to his policy of giving an employed married couple together earning £300,000 a tax-payer subsidy of £1,500 per child, per year for childcare, yet at the same time taking money from disabled people with a spare room in a home allocated by the local council which has a shortage of one/two-bedroom homes, he appears to have an “instinct of how to exploit a disaffected people by finding scapegoats.” Although not to the same extent that Russia is scapegoating LGBT people Cameron is scapegoating disabled people in the UK

26. I am not an admirer of Mr. Fry’s but his effort in composing this very fine letter must be applauded.

We should now all urge every other “name”, people of the fame of Stephen Fry, to make the same stand on this issue.

Better still, we should all now urge all such “names”, from all over the globe, to bind together and form a mighty front against Putin’s homophobic Russia.

1. Tim Chapman 7 Aug 2013, 5:04pm

Each to his own, I suppose, but what’s not to like?

27. Hitler prosecuted more then just Jews. Anyone who wasn’t to his standards was prosecuted. Please educate yourself before making these hurtful statements. Thank you

1. Tim Chapman 7 Aug 2013, 5:08pm

What a stupid comment.

There are red flowers in my garden. However, the fact that there are also yellow flowers in my garden does not make my statement about the red flowers untrue.

28. What an inspired letter! I hope the PM will take action. Sad to think that Russia’s greatest composer – the composer of great classics loved the world over such as Romeo and Juliet, Six symphonies, the First Piano Concerto and Swan Lake ballet should commit suicide in 1893 because of an alleged scandal involving a soldier. Putin and others should be ashamed that decades on they are still causing violence and suffering against LGBT people.

29. D. Farrell 7 Aug 2013, 3:41pm

Anybody who disagrees with what this man has to say is clearly a biggot devoid of rational thought. Putin has victimized the gay population of the country he runs, people like you and me in every way bar sexuality are suffering under his tyranny and the single minded thugs who follow him. Should we reward his actions with the Winter Olympics? never, he needs to learn that what he believes is contrary to all that is civilized and we will not stand for it.

30. Alexander 7 Aug 2013, 3:43pm

This is so ridiculous. There are many countries around the world where homosexuality is illegal and punishable by DEATH. Russia makes a law which makes spreading sexual propaganda to MINORS punishable by a small fine and all of a sudden it’s being compared to Nazi Germany? Does Stephen Fry realize he would be living in Nazi Germany right now if it wasn’t for Russia? This is a ridiculous and totally shameful comparison by someone with a totally self centered agenda.

1. I take it you haven’t read some of the other news items about events regarding LGBT people in Russia recently. I suggest you scroll back through some of the PN items.

2. Christopher in Canada 8 Aug 2013, 6:23pm

Umm, it wasn’t Russia that stopped the Nazis. The US would have something to say to that. As would any meteorologist.

31. George Broadhead 7 Aug 2013, 3:43pm

What a superb letter this prominent Humanist has concocted. Let’s hope it persuades the recipients to take action.

32. D. Farrell 7 Aug 2013, 3:49pm

Please highlight the part of the article in which Mr Fry states he supports incest and pedophilia? I honestly didn’t notice anything of the sort on my first read through, forgive me. The birth state of sexuality is completely individual to the person, people are born the way they are, be it straight, gay, lesbian, transsexual or other, and you want to punish them for being born the way they were? for feeling the way they feel? homosexuality has been part of human culture for as long as we have existed as humans.

33. M Tweddle 7 Aug 2013, 3:52pm

Brilliant as ever, Stephen! You’ve said it all – and so well (as usual).

I love you Stephen Fry. May your star continue to shine brightly for many years to come. X

34. well done to Stephen Fry for a passionate well written letter. I am sad to see that similar things are happening in Greece.

1. Davd Bakerb 8 Aug 2013, 1:39am

Yes, it is very disturbing to see the rise of fascism in Greece. I live in Corfu but it is very worrying to see that the “Golden Dawn” is rearing its ugly head here. I fear for the safety of my hard-working houseman who is Bangladeshi.

35. Roamingcat 7 Aug 2013, 3:56pm

Can’t even be bothered to argue your ignorant comment. At best you are an Internet troll, at worst you represent the sociopathic hysterical thugs who enjoy inflicting pain on others without so much as a care.
    As an expert on homosexuality, I ought not be surprised at the time and effort you take to read and comment on an LGTBQ news service.
    I always find it interesting that all of my heterosexual friends, all very much comfortable in their sexuality, naturally have no problems with homosexuality. Makes me wonder if you are a catholic or just a coward.

1. Poor lonely little Keith has generously informed us, at various times over the many months that he has spent clawing back after being booted off this site, that he considers the bible his only moral guide but despises organised religion. Yes, I think you can safely say NPD is evident, not to mention other, even more obvious, disorders. And coward? Well, that’s a given with most trolls, isn’t it?

1. David Ellison 8 Aug 2013, 4:42am

On behalf of all my Aussie gay Mates, ‘Thanks Stephen for writing such an eloquent letter’.
        The ‘west’ knows that Putin and his henchmen are not to be trusted, he is after all, ex. KGB.
        David – Sydney

36. You have serious issues. Get some help.

37. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Aug 2013, 4:02pm

Has anyone noticed the deafening silence of Archbishops Welby of England, Catholic Nichols of Westminster, Morgan of Wales and the Chief Rabbi, Lord Sachs? What is that old addage…oh yes….’silence gives consent’. Enough said.

38. Amazing man! I have so much respect for Stephen Fry, I am a homosexual 19 year old and the thought of my own country disagreing with my sexuality/skin color/religion makes me lose hope.
    As Mr Fry said “I believe you know when a thing is wrong or right.” Please act Prime Minister!

39. Look inside
    Look inside your tiny mind
    Now look a bit harder
    Cause we’re so uninspired, so sick and tired of all the hatred you harbor

So you say
    It’s not okay to be gay
    Well I think you’re just evil
    You’re just some racist who can’t tie my laces
    Your point of view is medieval

40. I respect what Fry is saying, but to ask them to ban the Olympic games in Russia is absolutely ludicrous. It’s 2013, you fool. If you wanted them to cancel it then it’s a bit late now – you should have written this letter back when they were first granted the Winter Olympics. Whilst there are clearly issues in Russia, to take away the years of preparation the World’s athletes have gone through is extremely unfair and I doubt even the Gay athletes would support such a motion. “All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing,” Well, no. All that is needed is for someone to make preposterous and unrealistic requests, actually.

1. Oh that’s right. Down vote me all you want but until you start being realistic about this, nothing is going to change.

1. Commander Thor 7 Aug 2013, 5:01pm

And by realistic you mean agree with you. A classic case of poisoning the well…

2. “to take away the years of preparation the World’s athletes have gone through is extremely unfair….”
      Unfair to who, exactly? To the money hungry businesses? To Mr Putin’s bigoted ego? Or to Russian homophobes who, the IOC “assures” us, will be prevented from gay bashing for a few weeks? Oh no, don’t upset the thugs. As though we shouldn’t do whatever we can to get between them and their future victims.

1. Is that a serious question? It’s grossly unfair to THE ATHLETES. You idiot. Oh and don’t give me your ‘money hungry business’ capitalism tripe. Would you rather we exist in a communist society like those Russians you hold in such high regard? Make your mind up, you utter clown.

1. These atheletes decided to go into a career that is based on being NUMBER 1 at a certain physical task. They get paid a lot of money, and yes they do work hard, but they are ultimatley pointless. They are ultimatley nothing more than bravado used to whip up nationalism that usually does more to divide than unite.

Sport is not important.
          Love, peace, freedom, justice and more importantly, life are far more important than a mere sport.

They can move the increadibly shallow and wasteful event to a country that is actually humane

Those athletes made their choice,
          The oppressed and the dying did not.

They can go somewhere else, or come back in 4 years
          The oppressed and the dying can not.

Mr. Pink

2. Or move it to Vancouver as it’s been proposed. They already have the facilities AND it’s Canada, so, you know, free country…

3. The law wasn’t passed when Sochi was given the games. The IOC can’t be expected to boycott a country on principle of its unjust laws when the unjust law hasn’t been passed.

As for athlete support, I reckon Russian gay athletes might very well support the idea and, as more people understand the reality of what this law means, so many more athletes will find the idea of showcasing Russia s omething unpalatable.

41. Commander Thor 7 Aug 2013, 5:04pm

Go sniff some poop!

42. Thank you Stephen Fry! You are absolutely right. I can say it because I’m gay and I live in Russia.

43. If they don’t listen to Stephen then they are as bad as Hitler and Putin. Oh by the way PUTIN doth protest to much. Pop your top ON putin you are making us VOMIT

1. Phil Taylor 7 Aug 2013, 6:07pm

Right, so the IOC killed 6 million jews and started a world war that killed millions of innocent people. Yes. I totally understand your logic and reasoning there. You stupid bastard.

2. I would at least put them in the same box as the governments that kept their mouths shut about what was going on in Germany. And if you ask me, that is pretty bad!

44. Oh do shut up you tedious fool. You have one argument that you keep trotting out. Unfortunately it is boring, irrelevent and ultimately incorrect. Just like you.

45. “Just as nobody is born with a paedophile, nobody is born homosexual.”

How deluded are you just?

46. What a letter!
    Stephen Fry’s eloquence makes mere mortals such as me, feel tongue-tied and insgnificant.
    Needless to say, he’s absolutely correct in everything he says – to take part in the games is condoning Putin’s – and his henchmens’ – stance on gay issues.
    I love St. Petersburg and i’m glad i’ve been to such a wonderful city, but I won’t be going there again, nor will I be purchasing Russian vodka or buy anything I know to support the country which is slipping visibly into despotism and evil.
    It’s such a shame that president Obama cites the Snowdon case as a reason for refusing to meet with Putin – the gay issue should have been added as a further cause for isolating himself and his country from discourse.

1. well written, but completely wrong thinking! let Russia have the games, but add a ring and change the colors to those on the rainbow flag, it gives probably more impact than to boycott Russia. if we do not go there, we leave even those who need support.

2. posted in the wrong place …

47. Niels Kærsgaard 7 Aug 2013, 5:57pm

Putin is a disgrace to humanity.

48. well written, but completely wrong thinking! let Russia have the games, but add a ring and change the colors to those on the rainbow flag, it gives probably more impact than to boycott Russia. if we do not go there, we leave even those who need support.

49. Brita Magnusson 7 Aug 2013, 6:10pm

Thank You for speaking up!

50. Just FYI – about 80% of Russians don’t support gay people. And Russian president do what he has to do.

1. 80% of the Russian people have NOT been asked.

2. about 90% of germans supported Nazis and Hitler

3. 80% of Russians have got it wrong

You’ll understand how wrong you’ve been one day

& I will forgive you

Mr. Pink

4. If they were asked and said they did support gay rights they would be arrested.

51. Stephen Mole 7 Aug 2013, 6:51pm

Much as I find Mister Know It All Git Fry loathesome, have to say I agree with this.

52. and of course it contradicts entirely what the Russian LGBT Network. This exploitation of the Holocaust is outrageous and is just like his foolishness about the location of Auschwitz and his polonophobia for which he later apologised directly to the Polish Ambassador who was extraordinarily generous in the circumstances. He should put his brain in gear.

1. That’s a foolish idea — Vancouver and Whistler have converted most venues to other uses. We would be unable to host the games with this little preparation time.

53. Go Stephen! If athletes were to compete….how about all the athletes march in the opening ceremony in drag? What better way to show how ridiculous their draconian laws are.
    And a HUGE fingers up to Putin.

54. Alexander 7 Aug 2013, 7:51pm

This letter was brilliantly well written: I hope it convinces those that require convincing.

I’ve been looking on youtube for the mentioned interview between Stephen and Deputy Milanov but cant seem to find it. I always like to see the others side point of view. Would someone who has seen it be able to post the link here?

Thanks in advance.

55. And is this any different to this current governent’s treatment/vilification/victimisation of sick & disabled people in this country?

1. Erm……yes actually, it is. They are not being threatened with being publicly whipped in town squares or with imprisonment. So please don’t talk daft.

56. Thank you, Mr. Fry.
    With more and more people around the world speaking up against this, there is no longer any excuse for world governments and the Olympic Committee turning a blind eye.

57. Thanks from me and my friends. I’m gay from Russia. LGBT people becomes scapegoats in Russia. BTW there is too many pro-putin paid commentators like Alex, Oleg or Alexander on this site. Seems like Putin is worried.

1. Alexander 7 Aug 2013, 9:10pm

Sorry, what? I’m the same Alexander as posted previously and I can state that I’m not being by Putin for this. I am however curious that you seem to think that a desire to see the other side favours it. I do not agree with Russian anti -LGBT laws: I do however think that the best way to counter an argument is to see it in its entirety and understand not just what is being said, but why.

58. The thing most people remember from the 1936 olympics is jesse owens’ victories. I’m not totally convinced that a boycott is necessary. I certainly wouldn’t boycott if I were a gay athlete.

1. And that is the problem. I am not gay or Jewish or any other visible minority (to my knowledge) that are found in this world, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t be against bigotry and discrimination.

The fact that people don’t remember does not mean that it should be forgotten or that this should not be boycotted. I am sad that such a great institution as the Olympics would be boycotted but not as outraged as I am at the treatment of minorities, at the moment mostly the LGBT, but it can escalate in any moment, in Russia. It is a basic human right to be yourself (sexuality and nationality wise, not criminally) , no matter what, and no laws or entities or groups should ever stand against this.

Rant probably half unintelligent, but my point hopefully comes off.

And my Hat is Off to Mr. Fry, as always, and I hope he comes to visit our fair country of Finland soonish than tater.

59. NorwichCityCollege 1978/9 7 Aug 2013, 9:47pm

Russia’s sexual apartheid should lead to the same sanctions as South Africa’s racial apartheid did (eventually). Glad to see Stephen taking a stand and in doing so showing up the cowardice of those who claim the moral high ground only when it suits them. Putin is the 21st century Stalin and Hitler rolled into one. It would be more than ironic to see his desire for international glory thwarted by a movement begun by a gay man of far superior intelligence! C’mon Dave, show some leadership here – even your dopey advisors who are out of touch with real people must realise that not to follow Stephen Fry on this is a guaranteed respect/vote-losing position. Man up and stand up for the human race in the face of bigotry and brutality. While you have the chance.

60. US Readers: Go to the White House “we the people” site and sign the petition asking President Obama to pull us out of the Russian Olympics. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/us-boycott-winter-olympics-sochi-2014-response-russias-and-president-putins-anti-lgbt-policies/dp5l8PHR

61. Truthfully, any comparisons to Hitler and the Nazi Regime seem to tend flat due to the sheer multitude of references.
    Having said that this is of course a great letter on an important topic.
    However, it is true that the values of Russians are not the value of the rest of the world. That is a hard thing to swallow. Moreover, every country that has hosted the Olympics has very dark ‘values’ that are not in line with the rest of the world that are always highlighted and fought against just before every and all Olympics. I won’t speak for London, but for the Canadian Olympics it was the Tarsands environmental issues and the treatment of our Native Communities. Moreover I seem to remember British Reporters calling the Vancouver Olympics the worst yet in the opening days. China had its human rights violations, and any Olympics in America likely has too many ‘values’ not in line with the rest of the world to count.

62. Michael Stevens 8 Aug 2013, 12:12am

A moving, eloquent,logical and impassioned statement – thank you Stephen. We boycotted South Africa for the evils of apartheid, and that boycott and the protests that accompanied it had a real and direct effect.

While moving the Winter Games would be preferable to a boycott it is unlikely to happen, so we shouldn’t be afraid to use this weapon.

63. Davd Baker 8 Aug 2013, 1:34am

I can only add my admiration of Stephen’s eloquence and deplore the archaic persecution which is now happening in Russia. To support the Olympics in Russia is to betray gay people who are being crushed under Putin’s heel. Take heed, Mr Cameron.

64. Ann Atkins 8 Aug 2013, 1:44am

Many thanks Stephen

You are absolutely right. We cannot stand by while such terrible mistreatment of gay people is taking place in Russia. Please IOC, sport is universal but it cannot take place amidst such hatred.

Ann Atkins Canada

65. Godwin’s Law.

1. Earlofthercs 8 Aug 2013, 4:53am

The existence of Godwin’s law as a phenomenon doesn’t automatically invalidate the comparison when it is actually apt, as in this case

66. Get your head out of the sand (or your arse)! How can Mr Fry’s argument be called irrelevent when people are being villified and hurt for loving. Surely any and every form of consentual love is better than any sort of hate.

67. Well said, Mr Fry. Love MUST triumph over bigotry and hate.

68. Annette Gross 8 Aug 2013, 4:44am

Hitler was able to do what he did because no one stopped him. The world is much smaller now – we KNOW what is happening in Russia! If government leaders stand by and do nothing, they are complicit in these atrocities.

69. Isn’t Cameron doing the exact same thing to the disabled,sick and poor in this country.Passing laws willy nilly to suit himself.

70. Gorgeous George. 8 Aug 2013, 12:55pm

Absolutely and unequivocally agree with the Mr Fry. If the IOT can be influenced they must. How sad in this day and age that an apparently progressive nation can have such archaic policy. Wake Putin this needs to stop.

71. justusboyz 8 Aug 2013, 1:38pm

Well done and well written Stephen. Wish there were more like you.

72. Glory Anne Clibbery 8 Aug 2013, 2:55pm

Stephen Fry has hit the nail on the head. Now it is David Cameron’s turn. Will he listen? I am not gay but some of my dearest friends have been. I don’t understand this mentality that looks to harm others. Those that compete if these games go ahead, do so for a diminished flame.

73. Objectivist 8 Aug 2013, 3:26pm

Fair enough, only i don’t remember Stephen calling for boycott of 2012 Olympics in a country that invades, murders, and devastates around the world – half a million Iraqi deaths alone should surely be enough for Stephen’s consciousness to scream foul play back then…

74. RedDevil9 8 Aug 2013, 4:42pm

Hate breeds hate and makes bigots feel empowered. This will soon spread to other minorities too unless the world immediately makes a united stand against Russia. It needs to be nipped in the bud now, or it will fester into something far worse. Not that this isn’t disgusting enough now.

75. Sam Spruce 8 Aug 2013, 4:52pm

Thank you Stephen. You are, of course sane, reasonable and right. But much as I would wish I could see it differently all I see in the faces of nearly all of our politicians is that eerie “banality of evil”. Since they are currently on their own course of prejudicial scape-goating I don’t see how they could even ‘see’ what is wrong in Russia.

76. Sam Spruce (@samspruce) 8 Aug 2013, 5:00pm

I am not gay Jewish or disabled and the thing that frightens me most in the world today is prejudice.

77. John Booth 8 Aug 2013, 5:10pm

Absolutely my own views – all of it. I believe that left wing v right wing is really adjacent points on a circle. Let us not forget that Hitler was anti – LGBT as well as anti Semitic.

78. linda mason 8 Aug 2013, 5:22pm

no more genocide, life means too much it should never be wasted by politicians, police .or priests of any denomination or political persuasion

79. A, J,Mainland 8 Aug 2013, 9:56pm

Stephen a while ago you doubted your purpouse on this earth, but dont you see why we treasure you so much by this letter,only you could have writen such a marvelous piece of eloquence, but its not just passing hot air fancy, its deep deep experience and wisdom and knowledge. God we need you man,
    thanks for this cracker and may it reach our Prime minister and the wider world and make some people wake up , dump their foolish pride and
    realise how grave this is indeed.A true treasure indeed,

1. Lorri lynch 13 Aug 2013, 5:59am

I’m from the US…Canadian though. I used to live in Scotland and have always followed Stephen Fry. I am so shocked that I posted his letter on FB…no one shared it. So disheartening!

80. complained to the beeb about their on-line coverage of Stephens letter.They just picked little pieces of it and no mention of the increased homophobic attacks,which the bbc seem to be totally ignoring.

81. Wise words from a man of undoubted courage, compassion, honesty and intelligence. Sadly, few of our politicians, or the officials of the IOC, share these traits. They are craven, callous, duplicitous and stupid, so I fear his words will fall on deaf ears. :o(

82. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100230115/just-when-you-thought-stephen-fry-couldnt-get-any-more-pompous-he-declares-war-on-russia-on-behalf-of-the-civilised-world/

Trying to compare the banning of vile homosexual propaganda aimed at kids to Hitler and the holocaust is insulting .Who is Stephen Fry anyway ?

1. Homophobe says what?

1. Yeah the Islington homosexual social workers used the ‘homophobe’ tag when the abuse of children in their care was reported .

Lets not forget that Stephen Fry’s books, The Liar and The Hippopotamus, glorify sex between men and teenage boys – no wonder he is upset if the Russians are going to ban homosexual propaganda aimed at those under 18 !

83. Michael English 9 Aug 2013, 10:10am

It’s great that Mr Fry has written this – and it’s good to see so many in agreement, but need to stop wasting our time concurring and start using our time addressing the issue. How? Write to your MP, write to David Cameron, the Russian Embassy, the sponsors, the IOC. The Internet is a very big place – get out there and MAKE SOME NOISE.

Here are some links to get you started – PLEASE SHARE

email addresses:
    IOC US: international@usoc.org
    IOC UK: boa@boa.org.uk
    IOC Germany: office@dosb.de
    IOC France: cnosf@cnosf.org
    IOC Spain: correo@coe.es
    IOC Switzerland: info@swissolympic.ch

On the Web:
    MCDONALD USA: http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/contact_us/social_responsibility/social_responsibility.html
    MCDONALD UK: http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/Contact-us.html
    VISA: nquiries.europe@visa.com; rhacker@visa.com
    COCA COLA: https://secure.thecoca-colacompany.com/ssldocs/mail/eQuery_product.shtml
    GE: http://www.ge.com/contact/general
    DOW: http://www.dow

84. D. Greenbaum 9 Aug 2013, 10:10am

I came across Stephen Fry’s letter only today but clearly from the responses it was published 2 days ago. So where is any official reaction or response? Maybe I have missed it, but I have not heard it mentioned on the news nor discussed on Radio 4. Judging from the unananimous support from your correspondents, it is surely a matter of great public interest and concern? I have been disgusted by Russia’s attitude on many other matters, especially Syria, of late. Their involvement at an early stage could have prevented the current chaos and suffering in that country. But other than some strong criticism and plain speaking from William Haigh, the West has been almost silent – or at best just too polite. Of course, it is all ‘politics’ at the end of the day, and politicians always take a wider perspective in regard to trade and economics, but at what stage does diplomacy become appeasement? Let us see what Cameron has to say in reply.

85. Umeshan Nandakumar 9 Aug 2013, 1:47pm

I wept as I read this. Your’e wonderful Stephen, thank you.

86. Morten Ruda 9 Aug 2013, 3:11pm

May I humbly ask that you read and share this eloquent, deeply heartfelt and couragous letter written by actor Stephen Fry to Prime Minister David Cameron and the IOC. I am in awe of his wisdom, his care and love for humanity. I only hope that it is read and shared by as many as possible so we all can contribute to stop this insane nonsense in Russia. Please help spreading Mr. Fry’s beautiful philosophy and message of love. I figured if I send this letter to people I know across the world, they might help post it on their facebook page and that way we can get the ball rolling in as many countries as possible! No, it is not a personal vendetta, it is just the right thing to do!

87. being gay is a defect. no need to go any further.

88. go on blame everything on russia again. you never been to russia and never lived there so how can you judge?

89. IT so true super letter , Hope they ban it , i am a 30 year old lesbian girl and i passed threw a so called corrective rape arranged by my own religious fanatical parents it was a nightmare and still haunts my dreams to this day and the pain i felt and that day ruined my life in more ways then one from becoming a orphan to feeling less important then a piece of garbage and suicidal , no one should pass thrw this . I still go to therapy 15 years now to deal with this and to not kill myself . I live in the Balkans in a ex communist country and to close to Russia .

90. Stephen Fry the stupid person’s idea of a clever person

91. My admiration towards Stephen Fry could not get any higher, I agree with him 100 %. We must not let the history repeat itself!

92. When will Stephen be elevated to the House of Lords? We need his abilities there, NOW….

93. It’s nice that Stephen noticed this repetition of fascism advancing in Russia, but perhaps saddening, if tactful when writing to politicians, that he turned a blind eye to its advance in Britain.

A few years before the 2012 olympics, the big UK parties passed legislation directly contradicting the European Convention on Human Rights (which was set up exactly to prevent the likes of another Reichstag Fire Decree) under a false guise of ‘anti-terrorism’.
    Then, just as ‘undesirables’ were cleared from the streets prior to the 1936 Olympiad in order to preserve Germany’s reputation under an international spotlight, those who might have peacefully protested the advance of fascism in the UK, the current single most-surveilled nation in the world, were met with pre-emptive dawn raids, so that the world’s attention might not be distracted by an ugly police state. …yet Stephen refers to this modern Triumph of the Will as “one of the most glorious moments” of his life.

94. Criminal Code: Sexual relations and other action of a sexual nature with a person UNDER the age of sixteen (16), Chapter 18, Article 134
    Sexual intercourse, buggery ['muzhelozhstvo'] or lesbianism, committed by a person over 18 on a person admittedly UNDER 14 is punishable by limitation of freedom up to three years or deprivation of freedom up to four years [R1.2].

And this is so-called ‘homophobia’ ? I’m sure if Jimmy Saville was alive he’d be out with Tatchell and Fry wearing a rainbow-coloured shell suite .

Stephen Fry’s books, The Liar and The Hippopotamus, glorify sex between men and teenage boys, exactly the same acts that are banned under this brave law which the Russian people are behind .

If only the media knew the whole story (better not mention Tachell’s letter to the Guardian circa 1997 !)

95. Fry ? a sick intelligent homosexual, and a Devil’s Advocate; advocating immorality and Men on Men impertuning each other’s anuses, spreading Aids and other dangerous diseases on Bisexuals and other Queers.Mr Putin please do not forget the two Homosexuals who adopted a Russian little boy, sexually abused him,and let othe Homosexuals join in. Please hang them,now.

96. How would you not want the reverse but the 2014 Winter Olympics will take place in the Russian city of Sochi! Putin is a great politician and he knows what he is doing.

97. David Skinner 14 Aug 2013, 10:32am

I thought Stephen Fry belonged to the same tribe or race as Ernst Rohm :

‘One American journalist wrote, “[Röhm's] chiefs, men of the rank of Gruppenfuehrer or Obergruppenfuehrer, commanding units of several hundred thousand Storm Troopers, were almost without exception homosexuals. Indeed, unless a Storm Troop officer were homosexual, he had no chance of advancement

98. David Skinner 14 Aug 2013, 10:34am

As I said, I thought Stephen Fry belonged to the same tribe or race as Ernst Rohm :

99. Steven fry constructs a good letter.

100. As a straight man I don’t have to agree with Mr. Fry and homosexuality and I don’t, as I don’t agree with him on many things he says. However as a human being foremost I totally agree with Mr. Fry on this outrageous law and the totally callous way the state in Russia treats people who they deem not right. What gives them the right to say these things? And I for one support his call for the Olympics to move from Sochi. Not agreeing with a lifestyle is not the same as being a bigoted nation as Russia is proving itself to be.
    Good on you Mr. Fry

101. Stephen Fry speaks for me!

102. Look at another disgusting NEW video gay teenager tortured by Russian homophobes http://youtu.be/UD7xY6agxAE

103. Look at another disgusting NEW video gay teenager tortured by Russian homophobes http://youtu.be/UD7xY6agxAE