Obama: I have ‘no patience’ for Russia’s anti-gay laws

1. Chris Ward 7 Aug 2013, 11:07am

I normally love Obama, but having “no patience” is not the same as doing something about it. Condemn the laws, condemn the violence, but most importantly condemn Putin and the state-sponsored nature of these horrific human rights atrocities against LGBT people.

1. I haven’t had any respect for the man since all the NSA controversy, personally.

1. GulliverUK 7 Aug 2013, 11:35am

I still have enormous respect for him. Do you think the NSA wasn’t already watching everybody before he came to power? And who knows if it was responsible for highlighting the recent terror alert.

1. Samuel B. 7 Aug 2013, 4:08pm

So that makes it right does it?

Oh please!

This hyper-surveillance of all our lives is now going on on HIS watch so he is responsible for its Stasi-like methods and misdeeds.

Oops, silly me, GulliverUK has nothing to fear as he has nothing to hide!!

The truth is that EVERY gay person alive today who used the internet and/or a smartphone should be very afraid in the face of an uncertain future being mapped out my psychopaths, megalomaniacs, tyrants and dictators.

Very afraid indeed…

2. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Aug 2013, 12:18pm

It didn’t begin with Obama, Marianne, but with George Bush II starting with the then newly formed Department of Homeland Security he introduced after 9/11 that included tapping phone lines and collusion by the corporate telephone companies.

1. Samuel B. 7 Aug 2013, 6:25pm

Yes Robert in Kennington.

But not only is Obarmy continuing Bush’s oppressive surveillance procedures and unjust harassment of innocent US citizens in the name of protecting their so-called freedom:- he is ramping up his militarised police state to the next level as the world looks on.

It is so transparent you would have to have your head well and truly embedded in the sand or be even more naive that you pretend to be not to see what America – with the EU and the rest of the developed world not far behind – is being turned into by stealth.

1984 doesn’t even come CLOSE to describing the nightmare unfolding.

2. No, it started waaaay before. Long before PRISM, there was Eschelon. People just started hearing about it with the Patriot Act, but that just made the recorded conversations they were already getting legal to be used without first obtaining a warrant.

2. GulliverUK 7 Aug 2013, 11:38am

Chris, I don’t think he has to personally do anything (except sign ENDA a.s.a.p.) because officials will be pushing behind the scenes, won’t they? And when it comes to inter-governmental policy that has to be handled delicately, especially between super-powers with more nukes than you can shake a stick at.

A face-saving exercise for the Russian government is needed, probably to blame their civil servants, saying they were misled, that the ban causes harm, that they are repealing it and ensuring protections for LGBT. They won’t be able to turn around and say they were wrong, that’s impractical, but pointing to the deaths, and stating that was not the intention of the legislation, and that these were Russian citizens, and saying it is suspended indefinitely, or repealed, is what is needed.

Putin has to decide if he risks losing face with the Olympics, or saving face by blaming others for the legislation – the latter keeps everybody happy and saves face.

1. Colin (London) 7 Aug 2013, 9:54pm

Well said…well done

But we need to think strategy 2 and 3 and 4
        2. move olympics hope fully to Canada. The UN needs to ask Canada to protect Canada.
        3. Everyone gets everyone they know to block TV channels that televise the Russian Olympics
        4……. I need help here everyone….. add to this please. It’s not just a gay issue…It’s human rights firstly … we need to get the straight community involved as well.

2. And what is he going to do about it.

Here’s an idea.

Instead of using unmanned drones to murder Pakistani civilians, perhaps Obama could use them against Russian homophobes.

3. Swap “gays and lesbians and transgendered” with “blacks” or “Jews” and he’d have more to say than having “no patience” with state-sponsored persecution. Not only would he be condemning it, he’d be issuing threats of sanctions or military action. So would Cameron and Hague. We want some type of action.

The UK media is, well…beyond contempt, for ignoring the dire situation of LGBTs in Russia, Africa and Middle East. I haven’t seen or read anything on the BBC about Russia. Has anyone?

1. GulliverUK 7 Aug 2013, 11:56am

The BBC is institutionally homophobic – what can you expect. I tweeted an article about how bad it was at representing LGBT this morning, by Peter Tatchell (Guardian) but that article was in 2010, when they promised to produce a report in to their representation. As far as I know they’ve produced two reports now, both stating that they are bad at it, but they haven’t improved at all, perhaps just got worse.

Eastenders – fine, I’ll give them that, but news reporting is dire, abysmal, homophobic, biased, unrepresentative, they ignore valid important issues, and when they do cover things you just wish they hadn’t. You can only conclude that the people at the top of the organisation, and heading news, are homophobic as hell.

The license fee is also incredibly unfair, as a state tax, that someone on £11,000 a year would pay the same as someone on £111,000 a year. Now we’d all pay the same for a banana, or a pint of milk, or a broadband package, but the TV license is a state tax.

1. Colin (London) 7 Aug 2013, 10:08pm

I can’t agree with everything you wrote here GulliverUK but I support your right to your opinion.

After hearing the Johnny Weir interview on the Today programme Radio 4 I was so incensed that I wrote to the programme and called them for a trite crappy bit of journalism and saying that they dumb down everything now. see article pinkpaper..Gay US figure skater: I an a hardcore Russophile –don’t boycott the olympics. I reproduced the letter there. I would be interested in your comments

I don’t see the BBC as a tax…I see it as one of the last bastions of good reporting, of integrity, of sometimes brilliance. I am happy to pay my licence fee but I want quality, representation (we are 6%) I want 6% of BBc programmes gay.

David Attenborough did a fantastic programme…How Many People Can Live On This Earth.. BBC4 24 Nov 2012 8pm. I sat on the edge of my sofa as it shocked me. Next day I say nothing reported, no comments, no media picked it up. Watch the programme and see how

1. Colin (london) 7 Aug 2013, 10:10pm

shallow we have become.

I mention this to you because i enjoy reading your comment. I am older than you and had my youth as well. I’m still 17 at heart though and still do daft things.

I wish you well
          regards
          Colin

4. No patience….not quite the same as condemning it is he?

5. Obama is on our side. I’sure everyone would like things to move faster but politics has its own way. Putin will dig his heels in if challenged in the wrong way. Pressure is clearly being applied. Don’t attack those who are supporting us.

1. GulliverUK 7 Aug 2013, 11:59am

Agreed. We are not high-level politicians, and we don’t speak the same language, men are from Mars, women are from Venus, but politicians are from the Planet Zog, and “no patience” might mean “I’ve lost it with these crazies”.

6. Jock S. Trap 7 Aug 2013, 11:39am

I’d be more agreeable if they stopped the talking and did the actions.

7. I respect Obama’s strong stance on LGBT rights – but he must stop pussyfooting around. He should tell the vile, power-obsessed, vertically-challenged dictator that he absolutely condems his actions and that he is instructing all US Winter athletes NOT to attend the games. That might just attract a bit more media attention than this dangerous situation is currently generating. Gays today …. Jews tomorrow?

1. Vile: Yes

Power obsessed: Yes

Dictator: Yes

Vertically Challenged: WTF?? What on earth has that got to do with it? You can’t condemn someone for being homophobic if you’re “heightist” !

8. Carol Uren 7 Aug 2013, 3:09pm

Well if you have no patience for it, pull your country out of the games. If enough countries acted in this way, it would send a strong unequivocal message to Putin that this this behaviour will not be tolerated in any way whatsoever.
    I just wish Cameron and Coe had the balls to do it first.

9. I would like to see less talk and more action! So far dialogue so far with Putin and Russia has been futile.

Prior to the G20, all participants in the St Pertersburg Heads of Government meeting should ban their participation in the games. They will be in a greater position to influence change by doing so at that meeting! Stalling until to wait and see, or after the G20 is procrastination plain and simple. How many other atrocious abuses will occur? unless immediate policy action is taken.

People may say this is putting the cart before the horse… but if the cart is in front of the horse “to speak” the horse can’t go anywhere and Putin will have to deal with this confrontation to save face and the Olympics. No nation should concede anything to him otherwise until the Propaganda law no longer exists.

10. Samuel B. 7 Aug 2013, 4:02pm

And most right-thinking gay people have no time for your:-

a) spying on our emails, web histories and telephone calls,

b) sanctioning of the NSA global control grid,

c) indiscriminate drone strikes on innocent families in Pakistan,

d) torture and incarceration of whistleblowers who expose your many tyrannical wrongdoings,

e) extraordinary rendition…

f) thug-like militarisation of your police force

g) domestic murder policy now targeting journalists and computer hackers…

And on and on…

So what you going to do about all THAT Obarmy?!?

Your rank hypocrisy stinks to the highest heaven.

1. Get lost Samuel – you’re pathetic.

You whine more than an old woman.

1. Rude, ageist and sexist post !

Why should the views of older people and women both automatically be disregarded as ‘whining’ ?

11. Less talk and more doing is what needs to happen. Not just to Russia either. I thought we were supposed to protect one another in cases like this so another holocaust won’t happen? To me it’s already happening but differently.

12. President Obama bowing to the King of Arabia, a country where homosexuals are arrested and even sentenced to death…
    The patience of the President is very fluctuating.

13. This totally a USA move to condemn anything Russian as they let John Snowden stay

14. YOU Obama ‘s chief terrorist in the world. Russian We do not need your approval for our laws. We have our own traditions and culture . The majority of Russians support the bill. And the fact that he does not like the Nazis – homosexuals is their problem . We do not need your assessment of our laws . Who does not like them can get out of Russia to other countries. For example, in Saudi Arabia. I’m sure there are homosexuals molest minors will be happy ! Or in Qatar . There are still many countries where homosexuality will kill you . In the UAE, Gay chop off the head, but you Obama has a good relationship with this country why? Have not for human rights ? The same thing in Saudi Arabia, Barbados , Tanzania, Sudan, Maylazii homosexuals are put in prison for 20 years! All your statements about Russia are false ! In the world more than 40 countries where homosexuality is DENIED ! And you do not say a word to them! Here in Russia gomosesksualizm banned advertising to children. That’s all. OR