David Walliams: ‘I hate it when people confess or reveal their sexuality’

1. Um didn’t this putz just reveal his sexuality by announcing he is married to a super model and they just had a child? I, for one, am tired of hetro people thinking they have a right to tell us anything.

1. And it’s not about the body but I married a supermodel, PLEASE!!!

1. Don’t you mean, “Oh, puh-leeze! LOL!

2. He actually is bi, and has often stood up for gay rights. His quote was taken out of context.

3. This man has been confused since he used to sit daily in the sauna at the YMCA Tottenham Court Road in the mid 1990s. So it’s only natural that he finds people who are not confused difficult to deal with.

1. By judging him as confused and demeaning him as anything other than what he says he is, heterosexual, then you are guilty of the same kind of bigotry and judgmental attitudes many gay people face. How would you like it if you were told you weren’t gay because you acted too butch or acted in a certain, “non-gay” way?

4. Um, no??? Are you actually a moron??????

2. Yes some people are sexually fluid, but that is not the case for everyone, and although I understand where he is coming from, he maybe should have said it better. The fact is, it is a sad state we are in that people still feel the need to ‘come out’…why can’t we just stop assuming people are straight until they say otherwise.

1. Sam Maloney 6 Aug 2013, 6:30pm

Coming out will ALWAYS be a thing, because the non-straight will always be the majority. With luck, it will become far less of a test of courage a generation from now, just as it was a greater ordeal a generation ago.

1. St Sebastian, the humanitarian 7 Aug 2013, 1:13am

Very well put Sam.

3. I think he should stick to comedy or swimming great distances covered in Vaseline.

4. Sam Maloney 6 Aug 2013, 6:27pm

Only people who are uncomfortable with their own sexuality are bothered when others talk about theirs.

1. A lot of people seem bothered about his sexuality in these comment pages.

5. GulliverUK 6 Aug 2013, 6:40pm

Bit dim-witted really, when heterosexuals have never once have to even consider coming out, and we’ve been told for hundreds of years to be ashamed of our sexuality and not to reveal it to anyone. Now that times have changed – ofcourse we’re gonna tell people, because most heterosexuals have gone around assuming everybody is straight. It’s also dishonest to not tell people if that makes a difference to the conversation being had. If another man is asking if you find a women attractive, and would you like to give her one, then ofcourse you should consider telling them you might find her attractive, but not in a sexual or romantic way.

I’m not sure he’s making a whole lot of sense. I’m not sure if he’s actually able to see things through the viewpoint of someone who is gay. I’m not sure he’s really thought about this.

6. Ian Bower 6 Aug 2013, 6:50pm

Sexuality is not ‘all about falling in love’.
    What a ridiculous statement.

7. Ian Bower 6 Aug 2013, 6:52pm

He should just stick to his comedy and then shut up.

8. I imagine for many actors and singers, being open about sexuality is simply a weight off the mind – no concern about the spying press running innuendo or having to watch what you say in interviews lest you set tabloid tongues wagging, etc. There is also the matter of setting an example for less confident people.

9. And people wonder why I dislike this man and always have done?

Mr. Pink

10. Very, very few people have a change of sexuality during their lives. They ‘might’ go through a curious stage during their young teens when they find the same gender attractive, and then change as they get to their older teens, but this isn’t always the case. Most homosexuals and heterosexuals, are always either homosexual or heterosexual.
    And it is important to be honest and open. The more gays are ‘visible’ in society, the more heteros will see us, and find us just as as wacky, as moody, as diverse, as fun loving and more importantly, as normal as everyone else.

1. He is speaking from profound ignorance, by “people changing their sexuality” he means:

1. Straight married people with children “becoming gay” later in life, he obviously confuses living a complete lie or living in complete denial with “fluid sexuality”

2. A gay man who is gay for most of his life but falls in love with a woman one time. Although this obviously never, ever happens except in fictional tv shows like Coronation Street in which a prominent gay character suddenly developed romantic feelings for his female best friend recently…. which is total bull

1. It does happen, I know someone who is a lesbian but is with a cisgender man now, but still identifies as lesbian.

1. So you’re saying she developed sexual and romantic feelings for one man alone? She doesn’t find men attractive at all, except for this one man who must be SO irresistable the chemistry in her brain shifted profoundly ?

I believe your friend is a bi-sexual and always has been, but will favour women. I do not believe you can fall in love with one person of a certain gender, and not have any feelings whatsoever for the rest of that gender.

2. Ciaran McHale 7 Aug 2013, 9:52am

I agree that David Walliams’ comments were foolish and offensive (I can only hope they were taken out of context). However, you are overstating your case a bit.

When the singer Tom Robinson had his first wave of success (in the late 1970s), he stated in interviews that he occasionally slept with women but he was predominately attracted to men, which was why he identified as gay rather than bi. It was a complete surprise to him when he fell in love with (and later had children with and married) a woman. He then described himself as a gay man who happened to be in love with a woman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Robinson#Personal_life).

I identified as straight before I realised I was actually bisexual. I know of other bisexuals who did a similar straight->bisexual identity change. However, I also know of a few people who identified as lesbian or gay before changing their identity to bisexual.

2. GulliverUK 6 Aug 2013, 7:17pm

Exactly. It almost sounded like he wanted us to be invisible, by never telling anyone else we’re are gay – I’m sure he didn’t really mean it that way.

It’s fine when you’re heterosexual and don’t have to, but it’s very important for us to tell our friends, colleagues, family, so they don’t keep putting their foot in it. …. “oooh, not married yet, don’t worry the right girl will come along soon”, “… are you dating yet?”, “got a girlfriend yet?”, “is there a girl yet?”, “you must have had a girlfriend by now!”. This is the sort of thing I heard every time I came home from my studies. It felt dishonest not to tell them, they were my fresh and blood, my family.

And the slightly awkward conversations at work. “are you married?”, “you have children?” …. where do you start? In truth you assess the situation and say .. can I come out here, now? what are the dangers?

1. My problem is the way people think they have a right to know, in fact they DEMAND we tell them that we aren’t 100% heterosexual, they hammer on the closet door with both fists until we cannot take it anymore, and when we finally say “OK! I LIKE THE SAME SEX!” they turn around and go “that’s fine, but don’t you dare talk about it or shove it in my face” and SLAM the closet door shut again.

It really frustrates me how straight people treat gay people in this way. They gossip and speculate like immature children about other people’s sexuality around the water cooler, pester them with inappropiate and intrusive questions relentlessly, and then scream bloody murder when they have the audacity to bring it up or “flaunt it” when THEY choose to and not when some hetero brings it up.

Mr. Pink

1. GulliverUK 6 Aug 2013, 8:58pm

You are so right. And I loved the way you wrote that :D

3. Shhhh! Don’t tell this to them! LOL!

4. jonnielondon 7 Aug 2013, 12:21pm

Those people whose sexuality is fluid we call bisexual. If some people feel that sexuality is a choice, then I would assume that person is bisexual. Me, I’ve always been gay and always will be. Straight friends of mine are straight and have never been any different. If you feel you may be able to go one way or the other, well there’s a word for that: bisexuality.

1. Owen Blacker 7 Aug 2013, 2:54pm

Broadly I agree with what you’ve put here, JonnieLondon. But it’s fair to suggest that some people might not *realise* they’re bi (rather than just gay or straight) until later in life. That would certainly at least appear to be their sexuality being fluid.

Also, I think it is fair to say that some people’s sexuality changes over time. That doesn’t mean everyone’s does, but love, attraction and sex are complicated emotions. Never say never :o)

11. I’ve seen/met millions of gay people, but have yet to hear of someone “coming out” of the beastality/incest closet.

When was the last time you met an interspecies or incestious couple?

When was the last time you met anybody at all?

Mr. Pink

12. bobbleobble 6 Aug 2013, 7:05pm

And I hope that when you get up the courage to tell people about all those things about yourself Keith (as well as your sc@t fetish) you find some people who will offer you any help you need.

13. When was the last time you heard someone admit they have the hots for their dog/mother?

Mr. Pink

14. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Aug 2013, 7:06pm

Disagree with him entirely. Heterosexual couples, married or not, are stating what their sexuality is upfront without saying a word when they walk hand in hand or arm in arm together in public.

I’m sick and tired of being told to stop broadcasting my sexual orientation when we’re confronted with it everyday in public, in the media, you name it, its everywhere. If anyone is cramming their sexuality down anyone’s throat its heteros, unknowingly or not.

1. GulliverUK 6 Aug 2013, 7:23pm

Many of them get moody if they see two men or two women holding hands in public, and I think we’ve actually capitulated, not wanting to make a fuss or bring on some confrontation, when this is the point now where we should all be holding hands in public, Public opinion and understanding has reached the point where this should be an issue

1. Yes, indeed, Robert & Gulliver, our next stage is start holding hands in public, laying an arm about our partner’s shoulder while walking down the street, and so forth. We don’t do it because we have experienced the hatred that it has summoned forth. But perhaps now is the time to start breaking down the taboo.

1. There is a study floating around about this. It says the very reason people are so uncomfortable with seeing same sex couples being affectionate in public or on television is because they are NEVER exposed to it.

The best thing you can do to de-sensetize people to same sex love is to hold hands in public. It’s the simplest and in many ways the most effective form of activism.

The more people see it, the more normal it becomes. If people NEVER see it, then it becomes a total deviation from the norm and is treated as such.

Mr. Pink

1. GulliverUK 6 Aug 2013, 9:42pm

Many people seem absolutely fine with gay people proposing to each other in public, or on TV, and the more they see pictures or videos of marriages and civil partnerships, the more they realise it’s just two people in love, and understand it’s not something to be shocked at.

2. Yes, but on the other hand my partner and I yesterday had a left-wing hetero couple tell us how annoying it was to meet a gay man who within several minutes of their meeting let them know that he had a male partner, that he was gay. Double-think. Double-standards from even the most progressive straights.

3. Eddy, I hope you asked them if they feel similarly annoyed by non-gay people signalling their coupledom and, by implication, their sexuality equally quickly.

Double standards like that are so infuriating they can leave one speechless (or they do me, at least).

15. Ha.
    He’s always struck me as some one who was a bit confused about sexuality and gender, as for not revealing sexuality, hetrosexual men in particular always drop some remark or referance into a conversation which reveals their sexual attraction, maybe I’m associating with the wrong people;)
    Most people who are settled and happy with their sexuality seldom have a problem with others orientation or gender, perhaps a bit of projection there David?, hint!

1. I think he’s probably bisexual – and there’s nothing wrong with that, but although we may have embraced the idea of being gay, we still seem to be confused as a society about the possibility of being anything other than 100% gay or 100% straight. For some people (myself included) sexuality is indeed something that fluctuates over a lifetime and this seems to provoke hostility in people who feel themselves to be irrevocably straight or gay. Until we understand that there are a lot more bisexual people in society than we think, and stop making a ridiculous sniggering fuss about it, we will continue to waste time arguing about non-issues like this. Some people are bisexual (or ‘fluid’ or whatever they feel is a more appropriate word), we need to get over it!

16. Straight people don’t see the fuss because their sexuality is already revealed and assumed. They can be sure they – and their kids – will always see role models just like themselves, they can assume people meeting them will always make an accurate assumption about their sexuality

In other words, this straight fool needs to shut up and realise what a privileged life he leeds

17. “You don’t just fall in love with someone’s body, do you? You fall in love with someone’s soul and heart and brain.”

The fear to let people know your sexuality as LGB is because being attracted to the same sex (ie. entirely about the body) has negatively impacted people’s ability to donate blood, adopt, marry or in many countries throughout the years and to this day, exist. Interracial couples experienced similar discrimination. In both instances, the ‘soul and heart and brain’ were irrelevant to those discriminating. In fact, the only interest they had in the soul, heart and brain was to crush all three belonging to the person they were oppressing.

It really isn’t hard to realise that the reason why telling someone your sexuality, or moreso; not hiding it, is because for so many years continuing to this day (despite advances in rights and recognition) discrimination and danger exist upon the very suggestion of sexuality that isn’t hetero.

1. Plus, by his logic of “you don’t fall in love with someones body, you fall in love with their soul” he’s saying that straight people could easily become attracted to the same-sex if they met the “right” person. Absolute bull-hockey ! If this was true, most straight men/women would fall in love with their best friends !

Attraction is down to subconscious impusles sparked by hormones you inhale; if you’re a straight man you react to female hormones and if you’re a gay man you react to male hormones that you pick up through scent but don’t actually notice on a conscious level.

I don’t understand why so few people seem to get the laws of attraction. Like when people say “I don’t get why a man would want to stick his dong up another guy” by focusing on the sex while completley dis-regarding LOVE and the laws of attraction. Stupid people everywhere…

Mr. Pink

1. Bit harsh on trans people if that’s true. By that logic nobody would be attracted to them, which I know not to be true from experience. It’s possible for people to get past the body, I think Walliams is right.

18. onesecond 6 Aug 2013, 7:20pm

So he must hate all the straight people he meets, cause they are revealing their sexuality all the time.
    What a moron.

19. He did NOT say that Pink News, he said he hates it that you are boxed in by the media when you come out.

20. colonelkira 6 Aug 2013, 7:40pm

There is absolutely no need to come out at all! It is not a prerequisite for membership to the club! In a perfect world nobody asks anybody, nobody tells anybody and we are all just identified as people, not a particular sub-set of people!

Unfortunately this is not a perfect world! I do hope we get there someday though!

I do agree with him on one thing……..I hate it when people do it too!…….LOL

1. Beelzeebub 6 Aug 2013, 10:33pm

Some of us follow our truths.

Since the age of 5, 42 years ago I suspected I was different.

I tried fitting in to the pegs laid out before me but failed happily.

Even now as a medical consultant moving from job to job, I,m outing myself usually by request of someone who has cottoned on once I,m comfortable in my role.

My attitude now is F ck em. I’m Internationally recognized as a major in my field, and I care not one jot opinions as to my sexuality as it does not affect my work in any way whatsoever.

And if some bigot dares to come near me requesting medical assistance, they can go and snuff it in the ditch of their own making.

1. Where in the bible (since you claim that the most recent translation you have is your only source of moral guidance) does it say it’s “wrong”, Keith me old m[...]ucker?

2. Beelzeebub 7 Aug 2013, 1:09pm

You calling me a pedophile f|\/cker.

That is slander. See you in court you little f\/ck.

PN. Get the police onto this t1t.

21. Do not feed the TROLL

1. Who was blocked by site software and is now trying to avoid it by inserting spaces, dots and dashes …. do not feed the troll !!!!

22. Wild be too hard for him to say ‘some’ people? I guess that would be too easy for someone who can camp it up when he feels like it and then go back to his wife and child (lovely though they must be).

David, SOME people change over the years. Others don’t. SOME people have are oppressed by whom they love. Others aren’t.

23. What’s up Keith lovey, your hands trembling a little on the keyboard? A few redundant fullstops here, though you appear not to have noticed.

In writing winer, you left out the H, poor old fellow.

24. Commander Thor 6 Aug 2013, 8:35pm

Go sniff some poop!

25. Commander Thor 6 Aug 2013, 8:36pm

Go sniff some poop!

26. I’ve married a supermodel yet there I am on Britain’s Got Talent with Simon Cowell, camping it up

Anyone who makes a nauseating statement like this really shouldn’t be commenting on what others should or shouldn’t say.

27. He just doesn’t ‘get it’.

Completely absorbed in his ego and doesn’t appear to have a clue about gay people. Superficial, ignorant and insulting.

28. Can all you vapid queens not see the wood for the trees and actually understand and think about what he’s saying before you cry “typical hetero”? Can you actually check around, read other news sources other than the not-exactly-journalistically-perfect Pink News to check that it has been reported correctly before you come here to denounce what this man has said?

1. colonelkira 6 Aug 2013, 11:19pm

BRAVO!

2. Alright then.

Yeah they all seem to be saying the same thing.

Why didn’t you post your so-called misquoted source with your mad paragraph if all the others are wrong?

& calling the people on this board “vapid queens” says more about you than you realise, because obviously a diverse range of people come here, not just “queens”.

29. Stupid comments from a confused man. His take on sexuality is subjective and delusional. He’s very Gay friendly, which is good but these statements are pathetic.

30. Ditzy David!

31. Scott Larsen 7 Aug 2013, 3:46am

Nimrod.

32. Every day we share our stories with the world. An important part of that story is who we fall in love with, who we have relationships with and who we enjoy having sex with.

Because we live in a society that presumes by default that you prefer the opposite sex, it is sometimes necessary to help people understand our relationships by letting them know their presumptions are wrong. In fact we know it is very liberating when we do this.

What I think David is trying to say is that we should not view “coming out” as an irrevocable step. Some people do occasionally experience changes in their sexual orientation (or if you are bi, your dominant preference). Perhaps because society sees coming out as such an irrevocable statement, we create unnecessary pressure on people when they do feel it important to do so.

Whilst recognising genuine bi folk, perhaps we need to respect people who are just not sure of their sexuality and be a bit more graceful when they marry supermodels.

33. He meant to say

“I don’t mind if you tell the world that you’re heterosexual – that’s fine”

1. Happy to say I’ve never heard of the man, or the television program.

34. There are lots of grey areas in sexuality but sexuality is NOT fluid!

35. I agree that sometimes sexuality is made more of an issue by the drama of “coming out”. It is a shame that so many people make such a big deal out of it, as though the desperately need the approval of everyone else.

I didn’t come out, I didn’t make any big statement, I simply had relationships with guys and didn’t hide it. I never had to justify myself to anyone. Maybe I was just lucky?

He is right about the fluidity of sexuality. It’s MUCH more complex than gay, bi and straight.

36. Just because he is so self loathing and so far back in the closet he’s in feckin Narnia – doesn’t give him the right to judge a brave Gay coming out – Mind your own business ‘Wallyiams’ and take some acting lessons!

37. Owen Blacker 7 Aug 2013, 2:50pm

Tell you what, David. When young people no longer suffer shame, guilt, oppression and discrimination for something beyond their control, I’ll worry about the ‘nuisance’ of providing them with positive rôle models.

38. ..the simple lesson that everyone should realize is just because a man wears a dress doesn’t automatically mean he’s GAY, and just because a man is 100% butch doesn’t mean he’s STRAIGHT!

39. Art Pearson 8 Aug 2013, 1:20am

Balderdash! Your sexuality does not change, just your reaction to and acceptance of.

40. He actually is bi, and has often stood up for gay rights. His quote was taken out of context.

41. But…but…didn’t he recently say he wanted to suck Harry Styles’ cock? I’m Soooooo confused…

;)