James Bond actor Ben Whishaw confirms he is gay and ‘proud to be’ in a civil partnership

1. Well done Ben! Am a fan but I’m so so gutted it’s not me you’re hitched to.

2. Michael 2912 5 Aug 2013, 2:18pm

Absolutely great. I just love it when yet another one of us declares; the more so in such happy circumstances. My Gaydar does it again!

3. @ author: I find it strange that you mention his small role in Skyfall, yet ommit his role (one of the main roles) in Cloud Atlas. Especially since he plays a gay man there, and his acting is brilliant.

1. or his AMAZING performance in Perfume, fantastic film

2. Its because no one actually saw Cloud Atlas, whereas Skyfall is a top ten all time worldwide movie.

3. Christopher 6 Aug 2013, 12:41am

Isn’t he bi in that movie?

4. It’s good to see another famous face come out. I’ve seen some criticism of him elsewhere for waiting so long, but not everyone is ready to be public at the same time, especially with the continued prevalence of biphobia, homophobia and transphobia in our societies.

I totally understand his statement about an actors job being to convince the audience they are not themselves – knowing everything about that actor breaks the suspension of disbelief the audience needs.

5. Christopher in Canada 5 Aug 2013, 2:50pm

Unfortunately, once the str8 community finds out, there will be a ton of crude jokes about his character’s letter moniker.

6. …Ben is very cute and sexy…I hope he hasn’t found any intimidation too unbearable in the film business?

7. Must be a very slow news day….

1. Michael 2912 5 Aug 2013, 3:03pm

That maybe so and I’m not someone who gives a toss about celebrities but we shouldn’t underestimate the good effect news like this can have upon the public consciousness. Maybe I’m just naive.

1. Michael 2912 6 Aug 2013, 10:47am

And I’d specifically add younger people.

8. We always suspected he was gay but as he is such a private person it was always going to have to wait until he was ready to let the world know. And rightly so.

Wonderful actor

9. how lovely congratulations to him and his new husband .x

10. GingerlyColors 5 Aug 2013, 4:56pm

Ben Whishaw was one of the actors tipped to be the 12th Doctor. It would have been nice to see a gay actor play the Doctor. Never mind, we can hope to see Captain Jack Harkness again soon.

11. Why do the press have to declare this like the man just came out – he has always been open about his sexuality – Just hope he doesn’t suffer from hetero journalists labeling him ‘Gay actor’ Ben Whishaw.

12. With one or two exceptions over the years, even after all this time I still feel pleased for media personalities coming out with dignity (even if in some cases it has been a bit of an ‘open secret’) but really just wanting to get on with the job.

13. Whilst I’m delighted for Ben that he’s found his soulmate, and congratulate him, I think there is still s sad footnote to this story.

Can anyone think of a straight actor who has been secretly married for a year before they reveal it?

(I suppose that they could still be incognito, but I find the idea almost unthinkable).

Until the idea of a secret gay marriage comes to see bizarrely surreal we won’t really have got there.

14. He continued: “For me, it’s important to keep a level of anonymity. As an actor, your job is to persuade people that you’re someone else. So if you’re constantly telling people about yourself, I think you’re shooting yourself in the foot.”

Well, you just did.
    What a loser

1. Congrats Ben x 5 Aug 2013, 11:33pm

Actually, that quote is from quite a while ago, before he disclosed the information that he is in fact gay and married. I think that maybe it was tiring having journalists pestering him all the time and he wanted to make it clear and just say ‘Yes yes I am gay, be quiet now.’
      Because it’s really not that important for all of us to know, especially when his job is trying to convince us he’s a different person in each film/TV show/play he’s in.

15. One more to eventually make this type of thing a non story.

16. You’re damned if you do…

17. Well that explains the ho yay in his scenes with Daniel Craig…

18. Lady Lovejoy 7 Aug 2013, 10:11pm

“he prefers not to discuss his family or life outside of his work” So, outside of his work he never talks of his family or life?

19. mikeysussex 8 Aug 2013, 11:57am

Bring back ‘The Hour. Good luck to him, seems like a nice genuine guy.