UK: Around 100 LGBT hate crimes are recorded each week by police

1. Tip of the ice berg, of course, most will never be reported.

This kind of backlash is unsurprising. After the last couple of years of permission-granting to bigots to openly express their bigotry and animus (and the perception of victimhood and having “lost” something) I am not not even remotely shocked by this. In fact, I’m sure that most of us would have predicted it.

Legislation to protect rights is one thing, but waiting for an adjustment in the zeitgeist towards tolerance is going to take a life time for a whole lot of us.

2. Yet I can go to London, and spend the whole day there and get no abuse at all.. but on returning home to the North that “immunity” lasts the time it takes to leave the station..

3. Mancunian here but it remains disturbing. And then to think the UK is at least in Europe but often globally considered the best place for queer folk…

Can’t deny I’m always careful, too careful some friends claim, when outside. But I have been a part of violence quite a few times sadly (though not yet in the UK).

Luckily our compassionate religious leaders do all they can to help better our situation… (this was sarcasm, in case you missed it)

1. I am glad you pointed it out that is was sarcasm. I can’t imagine anyone considering the UK being the best place for queer folk.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 2 Aug 2013, 4:32pm

There is no progressive country where there isn’t homophobic crime. Even The Netherlands has its fair share as well as Scandinavia and Canada.

The ILGO survey listed the UK as the best place to be gay based on the amount of individual rights we enjoy and with the marriage bill now law, only will reinforce it. Crime statistics high or low don’t necessarily make a progressive country better than others simply based on that alone.

2. I am actually originally from The Netherlands and lived in more countries around western/northern Europe. The UK, in my humble opinion, has a general more relaxed attitude about diversity of all kinds. Sure, plenty of problems here but it’s quite a difference compared with much of the continent. Then again, I only truly know some urban environments around here. But even while opposition in the UK may be fiercer, such as the CofE which has no counterpart in The Netherlands, the general atmosphere is more tolerant and generally friendly. Also believe, but not sure, that hate crime rates here are actually lower, especially the last few years.

ILGO survey was broader btw, when it comes to legislation the UK was not on par yet, while it did rank quite a bit higher than The Netherlands and all Scandinavian nations for example, with the exception of Finland they all have full legislative equality.

4. Funny in London just last week I was called the battyman in Tesco. I never report anything. If general attitude is included you can say I am “attacked” everyday.

1. I’ll add I came out in the 90’s and had one incident in a club and one on the street. I don’t know what happened but I noticed a sharp rise from 2001 and now I actually don’t feel safe in London anymore and in the process of moving out. London is a mess of super rich and super poor as I’m in the middle there is no place for me

1. That’s a shame, but if you leave, you’re letting them win. I saw a lesbian couple holding hands walking along Brick Lane and it was such a great thing see. I was also on a bus recently that terminated in Limehouse; a couple (two men) got off the bus and held each other until the next bus turned up. I’m a firm believer that we need to create visibility.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 2 Aug 2013, 4:37pm

I’ve lived in London 45 years and have never been on the receiving end of homophobic abuse and consider myself fortunate. Crime of this nature isn’t peculiar to one major city, it can happen in any city, town or village anywhere in the UK and elsewhere. There is no utopia, one city isn’t any different from any other. We can’t make blanket statements and write off one city against any others.

With all its faults, the UK is still a very decent place for LGBT people, certainly a lot better than living in the U.S. or Australia.

5. Casparthegood 2 Aug 2013, 3:03pm

Ok,thats the reported rate, it’s not good but what is the clear up rate? It’s not much use reporting crime if it’s not being resolved.

6. Want to stop hate crimes against LGBT people? It’s simple – stop raising generation after generation of ill-educated violent idiots and EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN IN SCHOOLS ABOUT SEXUAL DIVERSITY AND RESPECT

it’s really not hard. Inclusion in marraige, the media, sports etc. can only go so far because the fact is nobody knows ANYTHING about LGBT people because they haven’t been taught about it by their schools or parents, it’s constantly left up to US to educate people about ourselves despite knowing little more than they do.

You need to start teaching kids WHY we are natural and normal instead of just saying it.

Mr. Pink

1. Or we may have to accept the fact that cultures that will accept us have done so already.

1. What cultures have accepted us exactly? You can’t be referring to the UK Or Canada because hate crimes are still happening all the time.

Only when an LGBT person is free from the risk of attack or abuse and the annual hate crime number is ZERO will we be able to say the ‘cultures’ have ‘accepted us’

Until they stop allowing homophobes to breed like rats through ignorance and false information and start educating kids on the matter, then NO culture has fully accepted LGBT people. There are homophobes everywhere you go, that ain’t acceptance.

Mr. Pink

7. Christopher Coleman 2 Aug 2013, 3:47pm

I hope this starts a serious discussion at all levels about how to tackle the problem. Educating the young has been mentioned, and that’s a good thing to do. Plenty of other things, too, for the police, social services, churches, youth groups, and politicians. And, yes, GLBT people need to get involved in the effort .

1. Robert in S. Kensington 2 Aug 2013, 4:39pm

I agree but the religious denominations, most of them in fact, are part of the problem of insitutionalised homophobia that has permeated society, our society and schools.. They too should be participating but they aren’t and should take some responsibility to make amends. We’ve yet to hear an official apology from the CoE.

8. Robert in S. Kensington 2 Aug 2013, 4:42pm

To digress quite a bit. Take that gay couple for example who want to challenge the CoE regarding their wish to marry in the church. That’s the sort of thing that foments homophobia and any inherent violent acts emanating from it by forcing our demands on a religion which clearly is against our right to even a civil marriage.

1. A lot of black people said Rosa Parks ‘rocked the boat’ and gave racists a reason to be racist, so should she have just moved to the back of the bus like a good girl?

Racists will find any reason to be racist, as will homophobes. If we stay at the back of the bus because we’re scared moving to the front will give people a reason to attack us then you may as well just give up any chance of furthering equality here and now, and accept your fate as a second class citizen, and sit at the back of the bus like a good boy.

Mr. Pink

1. Very well stated Mr Pink.

2. The push for marriage equality fomented homophobia, so was that a mistake?

9. What is written publically regarding transphobic and homophobic crime is very different to the reality of what is actually done to stop it.
    Is it any wonder that few transgender or gay people report such crime when the reality is that the matter is often totally ignored by the police who in practice do little if anything at all to stop the abuse, and when the victim presses the subject via the police they then conveniently claim disapplication so that they do not even have to give a reason for not investigating.

Even calls for help to organisations such as Stonewall yeild little more than information which is currently on the internet or available at the the local CAB so what is the point in either contributing to them or taking organisations such as these seriously?