Stage actor slams audience member for shouting homophobic abuse during performance

1. Zidders Roofurry 2 Aug 2013, 3:48pm

Bravo!

2. What was the Twat doing at a play that included a gay twist and man-on-man contact if it so offended him and made him feel sick.
    Bravo Mark.

3. As has been pointed out elsewhere, I bet this tiresome member of the audience, who felt it so necessary to comment loudly, would happily sit through the grotesque violence of The Duchess of Malfi or Titus Andronicus without saying a word.

4. Dude. You’re in a theatre and are surprised by the concept of gay people? Anyone else a bit confused by this guy’s shock?

1. Curiously, you might be surprised by the homophobia in the media and theatre, despite their reputation for being LGBT hotspots.

A friend of mine is the son of a media group owner. He is in the closet, and despite his father clearly having an idea he might be gay, has been told that his father would not have a gay son, and he’d be disowned if he was gay. They obviously know.

It’s all so sad.

So, my point is that although the theatre and media has a reputation for being full of gay men, in reality, there is a lot of homophobia.

5. Jesús moran 2 Aug 2013, 4:10pm

Bravo!!!!!!! Well done!!!!!!

6. Robert in S. Kensington 2 Aug 2013, 4:27pm

Well done, Mark! Keep it up!

7. Michael 2912 2 Aug 2013, 4:35pm

Well done that man. “Never tolerate homophobia or any form of bigotry” is an easy principle to declare. Those who manage to live it are utterly heroic.

8. Typical closet case behaviour – “I’M STRAIGHT AND 2 MEN HUGGING MAKES ME UNCOMFORTABLE SO IM GOING TO SHOW EVERYONE HOW NOT GAY I AM BY PROCLAIMING MY STRAIGHTNESS ALOUD. IM NOT GAY, THIS IS WEIRD, NOT GAY THOUGH, NOPE, NO GAY FEELINGS HERE”

I would have stopped the show then and there and proceeded to exclaim that ‘I think The Lord doth protest too much! What are you trying to hide by making such a statement my good sir?”

I mean it’s just so transparent, feel sorry for his wife…

Mr. Pink

9. John Barrowman would be proud! I love the guts of this man because it takes a real deal of bravery to stand up for something you believe in especially while on the job, because you could always get slammed for abuse of customers or the stupid “Customer is always right” thing.

1. I think you lose your rights as a customer when you become an intolerant heckling prick.

10. A N Other 2 Aug 2013, 7:48pm

Thanks for revealing the twist and saving me the trouble of watching the play…

1. Christopher in Canada 5 Aug 2013, 2:43pm

I don’t remember that scene from “Dirty Dancing”…

11. Graham S. 2 Aug 2013, 8:08pm

You couldn’t buy that kind of publicity for a show! By his moronic outburst he’s probably just sold a hundred more tickets!

12. Christopher Coleman 2 Aug 2013, 8:10pm

The actor could have done more. I was in a theatre when a cell phone rang at a crucial moment. After the act the lead actor came on stage and gave the offender a most terrible telling off. The offending woman and her son did not return after the interval. The actor is famous and the theatre is a major one.

1. It sounds like something the late Richard Griffith would do.

13. Good for Mark doing something about it. Some people just don’t know how to behave themselves. Their emotions stop maturing in childhood. I hope he (the guy in the audience) felt really embarrassed. The incident will probably dominate his thoughts for a long time. Serves him right.

14. Well done to the actor!! The closet case heckler must have being trying to convince his ‘girlfriend’.

1. … who lives in Canada. Her name is Alberta and she lives in Vancouver and sucks like a Hoover…

(sorry, that song just popped into my head)

1. LOL, what song is that?

15. Two men embracing made him shout “Makes Me Sick”??!! He’d be very ill in many Med (can’t spell the full word!!) countries. Gawd, even Russian men probably embrace and kiss each other on the cheeks. LOL.

Well, it may be nasty to wish illness on others, but I just hope the play did make him sick. Very, very sick indeed. I hope he’s still sick. That’ll teach him to have any further contact with ‘the arts’.

16. Metsän poika 3 Aug 2013, 12:18am

Wouldn’t you just love it if the actor had stopped, turned around and told (not asked) the audience member to leave, told to collect a refund on the way out – that way they get his name and can ban him for life from the theatre. The ushers should escort him out and the audience encouraged to clap as he is leaves.

17. RJ Abada, OFM 3 Aug 2013, 2:12am

bravo!

18. “Makes me sick.”

Me, me, me.

That’s all those homophobic idiots ever think of, themselves.