Philippines: Archbishop agrees with Pope Francis about judging others, but says that gay people must ‘behave’

1. Mind your own business bishop and pope

2. ““When they dress up as females, wear high heels and other such acts, they are lowering their dignities as they make themselves laughing stocks. I think that is not fair to them because they are being laughed at.””

Once again we see homophobia is just a by-product of sexism and mysoginy. Dressing up as women “lowers their dignities” because women are obviously not as good as men and to dress as one would be to shame men everywhere.

Someone obviously didn’t tell this man that most transvestites are actually heterosexual men. Someone also didn’t inform him that the vast majority of gay men don’t cross-dress or identify as female. Once again stereotypes and bigotry cloud reason and common sense, I think he needs to get out more and meet actual gay people instead of getting his information from silent movies from the 20s.

Plus, who really cares if men wear high heels or a woman wears a tux? It’s CLOTHES. Get a life, seriously.

Mr. Pink

1. Additionally, I think we can handle a few points and stares and some giggles. We put up with way more crap than that. Our skin is as thick as steel so you can laugh all you like, just goes to show how immature you are; oh em gee a boy wearing a dress, how outrageos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Bowie’s been rocking the frock since the 60’s, get with the times already.

I don’t cross-dress, but I think i’d be able to handle a few immature giggles if I did. What kind of argument is that anyway?

Mr. Pink

1. A man was hacked to death in Jamaica for crossdressing in a night club. I’m one for freedom of expression but I also think safety first. Not everyone lives in the west and this advice may save someone’s life. I don’t think it was malicious

1. I have to disagree with you James. I don’t think the Archbishop or Pope give a damn about us spiritually or physically. No more than they do about all the children priests have abused over the decades.

Personally I think this change in tone (and not message) is simply a poor attempt at PR and damage control. The Vatican did nothing about the scandal involving Cardinal O’Brien and now they think they can just shrug their shoulders when similar scandals occur and just say “who am I to judge”.

1. Exactly.

2. Aside from the fact that gender itself is a very grey issue, so for the church one minute to say it’s embarrassing for a man to dress as a woman, and to then call us a ‘third sex’ exposes the issue once more as something the Catholic Church doesn’t fully understand.

3. “Don’t tell me that homosexuals commit graver sins than ordinary men and women. ”

We’re not ordinary.

We’re special…

4. I do not feel I am a laughing stock when I dress up as female, possibly because I am female.

5. So, according to the Archbishop of NY, homosexual acts are sinful, just like heterosexual acts outside of wedlock are? Surely then homosexual marriage would excuse homosexual acts of sin?! You can’t pretend to equalise gay and straight people by saying you won’t judge them, but then deny them the only way you give of excusing what is apparently sinful.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Aug 2013, 3:32pm

It wouldn’t be good enough but they’d be quite comfortable if a gay man married a lesbian, just as long there’s a vagina and a penis in the mix and it wouldn’t much matter if they n ever had sex. Their obsession with sexual activity is what’s at play here, revealing for a cult which insists on abnormal celibacy, contrary to human nature.

I’ve often wondered how a catholic priest would react to a gay man and lesbian testing the will of the RCC by asking to be married but declaring they have no intention to have sexual relations let alone procreate while admitting they are gay. I wonder how the CoE would view that?

1. John Antrobus 1 Aug 2013, 5:01pm

I’ll probably try this if my current CP/Husband Elect per-decreases me. I’ll then marry his younger sister who is a single lesbian. At least she’ll have full survivor pension rights when I go!

2. They don’t want gay people to live happy, fulfilled and normal lives, want they want is for LGBT people to live life in the closet or preferably not to exist at all. Now of course they can’t say that, the days of the Catholic Church saying that sodomites should be burned at the stake is long gone, so they have to be more creative with their bigotry.

So they have to pretend that they’re defending the “sanctity of marriage” and are “protecting family values” because they think it makes their position look more reasonable and logical. Of course it’s all bullshít, there’s no such thing as the “sanctity” of anything, people made it up to make themselves feel noble. Life certainly isn’t sacred, look how much blood humanity and religion especially has on its hands.

6. theycantdothat 1 Aug 2013, 2:53pm

What he has got to say about Joan of Arc?

1. theycantdothat 1 Aug 2013, 2:54pm

That should have been:

What has he got to say about Joan of Arc?

7. Surely it is the Whore of Babylon that is a laughing stock!

8. Is Oscar Cruz a child rapist?

How many child rapists has Oscar Cruz protected?

9. I kinda of agree with what he’s saying , if we want to be taken serious we need to act in a responsible way ! gay people get all painted with the same brushe , as drug takers , sex with everyone , badly men dressed up in drag … I also think as a young gay man that Prides don’t really help the cause , instead they just an excuse for people to get off their faces , misbehave , and dress up in terrible clothes ! If we want to be like everyone else we need to also behave like everyone else !

1. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Aug 2013, 3:25pm

The problem with this is that your apologising and promoting the many myths about gay people. A minority of us may dress up like women just as a minority of us are drug takers. You’re helping to promote that by agreeing with him.

It’s tantamount to saying all catholic priests are paedophiles because of the actions of a minority but there he is doing exactly the opposite of what he says the pope is right about, not to judge. He IS judging by stereotyping. Hypocrite! If it weren’t for Pride marches and activism, you wouldn’t be here today posting your comments deriding it. Straights never had to march for their basic human rights or were discriminated against in employment, housing and marriage. Hiding and trying to pass one’s self off as straight isn’t the solution either. There’s plenty of bad behaviour among straights, adultery, philandering, just as promiscuous as any gay man, fathering children of out wedlock, the list is endless. Perhaps the bigot should address that.

2. Carlos I think you should remember that every day tens of thousands of priests around the world dress up in frocks to celebrate mass. The Archbishop has no right to pass judgement and should practice what he preaches.

3. Agree , nothing sexy about hairy, fat , middle age men in drag dancing to kylie

10. “They are lowering their dignities (sic) as they make themselves into laughing stocks”

Does he mean wearing florid/garish gowns and cloaks, and large embroidered hats?

11. The Catholic Church is one of the largest criminal organisations in history, before telling consenting adults to behave why not have a look at your own behaviour, past and present; child abuse, the oppression of women and your role in the Atlantic slave trade. Not to mention the the fact your whole criminal organisation is based on lies and distortions.

It’s an organisation that has made its fortune and gained power through oppression, fear and exploiting gullible people. I know all of this is stating the bleedin’ obvious but if I was to say today “this is what the morality and values of half the world for the next 2000 years will be based on” people would think I was as batshít insane as those people who believe in conspiracy theories.

That would be if Christianity didn’t exist of course.

12. What the HELL! Third sex???? He has no idea about human sexuality; and he’s blind to his misogyny.

1. Paul Halsall 5 Aug 2013, 2:17pm

Third Sex is very old idea among gay activists – eg Magnus Hirschfeld.

13. When men dress as women they make themselves a laughing stock only if you believe women to be inferior to men. He must be utterly miserable all the time.

14. ““When they dress up as females, wear high heels and other such acts, they are lowering their dignities as they make themselves laughing stocks. I think that is not fair to them because they are being laughed at.””
    This from someone who parades around in public is lace-trimmed garments and heavily-embroidered vestments!!!!!

As for ‘my behaviour’ — I’ll behave when he and his ilk begin to behave!!! If I ‘misbehave’ it’s with consenting adults … not defenceless children!!! Clean up your own house, Archbishop, BEFORE you attempt to pronounce on how others behave!!!

15. I really wish these people would show us where exactly in the Bible it says that homosexual acts are “a sin”.

To the very best of my knowledge, there is not a single mention of homosexuality as “a sin” anywhere in the New Testament. At no point is Jesus quoted as saying “to act upon same sex attraction is a sin”.

Real or not, belief or not, one cannot simply extrapolate sins and abominations from the text of the Bible, willy-nilly.

1. It’s all silly, childish Old Testament rubbish – along with talking snakes and men made from the rib of a man. St Paul does make a few nasty comments in the new testament but Jesus (presuming he ever actually existed – there’s no evidence he did) is not quoted as saying a single word on the matter. So from whence does all this ‘obsession’ stem? I think ALL homophobes are secretly gay and in denial. WHY are they so bothered about what other people get up to … unless it really bothers them because they are self-haters for having ‘same-sex desires’.

16. Coming from someone who wears fancy dress every day and believes in talking snakes and women made from men’s ribs … that’s a bit rich!

1. connor larkin 1 Aug 2013, 9:43pm

How soon we forget!

A review: in Holy Week nutty Pinos flog themselves and NAIL themselves to a cross, misbehaving Archie Cruz? Record divorces, record breaking annulments(backdoor divorces, criminal malfeasance for decades at the Vatican Bank, misbehaving Archie? Not refusing Newt Gingrich and Gubnor Brownback communion for endorsing Afghan and Irag Wars, misbehaving OR at least inconsistent, etc. etc. etc

17. RJ Abada, OFM 2 Aug 2013, 9:22am

as a Filipino, I can say that this reflects Filipino culture. gays are accepted as long as we are discreet and avoid giving ‘shame’ to the family.

18. Sally Gross 2 Aug 2013, 3:48pm

The Archbishop-emeritus’ intentions are doubtless benign; but there is so much confusion in some of the things he has to say that it is difficult to know where to start. I have an idea that the Archbishop in question is Catholic rather than Anglican. Be that as it may, he seems to conflate and confuse the following: sexual orientation — being straight, gay, bisexual or asexual, which is about erotic sexual attractions; gay drag — not all gay men go in for drag; transvestism; transsexuality, which is about gender-identity; and intersex, where one is born with physical sexual differentiation at some level which does not follow the usual paths of male or female. I am intersex — my body, as it developed from gestation in the womb, is ambiguous. If there are some people out there who find my body, which the Archbishop would surely have to say was formed as it is by God in my mother’s womb, funny or monstrous, this is their problem. It should not be mine. I am what I am and will not deny

19. Sally Gross 2 Aug 2013, 3:50pm

The Archbishop-emeritus’ intentions are doubtless benign; but there is so much confusion in some of the things he has to say that it is difficult to know where to start. I have an idea that the Archbishop in question is Catholic rather than Anglican. Be that as it may, he seems to conflate and confuse the following: sexual orientation — being straight, gay, bisexual or asexual, which is about erotic sexual attractions; gay drag — not all gay men go in for drag; transvestism; transsexuality, which is about gender-identity; and intersex, where one is born with physical sexual differentiation at some level which does not follow the usual paths of male or female. I am intersex — my body, as it developed from gestation in the womb, is ambiguous. If there are some people out there who find my body, which the Archbishop would surely have to say was formed as it is by God in my mother’s womb, funny or monstrous, this is their problem. It should not be mine. I am what I am and won’t deny it

20. Jock S. Trap 3 Aug 2013, 10:49am

Oh My… Obsessed much?

Oh and behave? the is just another crazy ass spewing about thing he doesn’t know anything about. Which, incidentally, means he knows nothing about humanity.

And they call it religion.

21. Don Harrison 5 Aug 2013, 10:09pm

“Just like women and men, the third sex should also not lower their dignities.
    Look Mate I am gay. I am also the same sex as you. I am not a third sex.

22. paula key 2 Jan, 9:25am

Joan of Arc was ‘stripped of her butchy’ appearance by the Church. It stated that male clothing protected her from being raped – hence the value of virginity for Saints.