Russian LGBT Network: ‘Don’t boycott 2014 Winter Olympics — boycott homophobia!’

1. Keith, the eventual winner. 31 Jul 2013, 12:48pm

The deviant’s on this site are frothing and foaming at the mouth so much regarding Russia that they do not realize people have more sexual freedoms in Russia than in Britain. Consensual adult incest, defacto polygamy , bestiality and homosexuality are all LEGAL in Russia!
    This is a propaganda/censorship issue and not a human rights/freedoms issue. The right to promote coonsensual sexual adult acts is not enshrined in the human rights convention. These are matters for each sovereign nation but weighing things in the balance, Russians have far more freedom with sexual acts than Brits or Americans. This rage against Russia is misdirected therefore.

1. Oh dear… you lost any credibility the moment you called gay people ‘deviants’. Back to the Daily Mail with you, darling. I hear they adore your kind there. I especially liked the way you put homosexuality in with incest and bestiality. That was a special little touch. Do come back when you have a genuine understanding of the horrifying situation in Russia.

On second thoughts, don’t bother. You’ll still claim this is all about some mythical need to promote homosexuality as if it were a brand. If I kiss my girlfriend in public here, I might get a few looks, but more often than not I’ll get creepy guys asking if they can join in. In Russia, I’d risk being arrested. The current persecution of gay people there has created an atmosphere that tacitly encourages rabid bigots to kidnap young people, beat and torture them, and force them to come out to their families. Do you genuinely believe we have it worse in Britain?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Jul 2013, 1:25pm

Don’t enable the demented freak and loser. “t’sHe’s bitter and twisted because it lost the equal marriage debate big time, among others. Ignore ‘it’.

1. David Myers 1 Aug 2013, 1:20am

As we should all do this with all known Trolls like Keith – ‘the ultimate loser”.

2. Beelzeebub 31 Jul 2013, 1:31pm

Go f\/ck yourself loser.

3. This loony has declared himself “the eventual winner”. Is that meant to make us laugh? I surely did!

2. Jock S. Trap 31 Jul 2013, 12:55pm

Sorry but whilst I understand the plea, they must surely understand that anybody that is LGBT going to Russia is risking themselves and their safety.

Anybody supportive is at risked Gay or not.

I’m sure the Russian LGBT Network cannot guarantee the safety of LGBT & Supportive Olympians and Paralympians so Why should we risk?

Surely we need to send a strong message against the Putin regime and boycott.

1. David Myers 1 Aug 2013, 1:17am

I think the strongest message we could send would be for athletes (gay or otherwise) and thousands of spectators to wear rainbow colors on their shirts, hats, scarves, whatever – and for medal winners to wave rainbow flags when they mount the medal winners podium – time after time. Russia can’t arrest all of those people and if they even tried the would face world-wide condemnation (and we could then began using various sanctions against Russia for blatant violations of the rights of foreign nations and their citizens) and Russia would never host another Olympics event again -ever!. Don’t boycott – go and wear the rainbow colors everywhere!!!

3. Antony Masters 31 Jul 2013, 1:05pm

I don’t think this is a free opinion from them, Russian state has no fear, look at Syria, and would use many tactics to get the Sochi to go ahead. South Africa the world protested (apart from Britain), and sports was effective by this. To show a nation like Russia that the free world don’t approve of its hate crimes, you need to isolate it.

4. “What is remembered from 1968 is neither the number nor the names of those who boycotted the Games, but the ‘human rights salute’ by Tommie Smith and John Carlos who rose black-gloved fists and bowed their heads on the victory stand as a sign of resistance to racial injustice and solidarity with everyone who fought for equality and human rights.”

I agree with them, however spectators are still at risk (regardless of assurances to the contrary) so it has to fall on the athletes to make a stand. Will they?

1. Colin (London) 31 Jul 2013, 1:50pm

Are we not seeing this as two ways to achieve the same ends. If the world through the UN handled Russia then surely we protect the gay community and individuals in Russia??????????? Just a thought.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Jul 2013, 1:23pm

Although I would support a boycott, on the other hand, it could well backfire on our LGBT brothers and sisters in Russia. The homophobes could well exploit it to justify even more violence against them, blaming them for the failure of the games.

1. What a ridiculous idea – applying your logics, gay pride would be considered extremely dangerous and unnecessary, too, seeing as that may provoke homophobes to be even more violent towards LGBT people.

1. You’re being sarcastic, but that logic could very well be used by the Russian government to shut it down gay pride, if they chose to do so.

1. David Myers 1 Aug 2013, 1:26am

They are already “shutting it down – gay pride”. Don’t you get it? They will arrest Russian citizens for publicly proclaiming their gayness, or even if they are straight, their support for gay rights. Let them try to arrest tens of thousands of foreign born spectators and athletes. It would be the worst debacle for Russia’s reputation in decades.

6. It’s not opinion of LGBT people from Russia. It’s this organisation’s own opinion.

7. Colin (London) 31 Jul 2013, 1:47pm

We all want the boycott so the United Nations steps in and clearly censures Russia.

In this day and age the UN needs to consider throwing Russia out of the UN. Otherwise what’s it for…….or is all the hot air just that……..smoke and mirrors and a PR engine?

8. I strongly disagree with their proposal.
    Having proved how atrocious and disgusting they are as a nation (because recent laws reflect views of most Russians) I most certainly will not be visiting their country any time soon.

9. how ridiculous- you can’t boycott something that is intangible.

the intent is admirable but the choice of words is not.

10. The LGBT community in Russia is just as divided about whether to boycott or not as we are here. Alekseev or the LGBT-net do not ‘represent’ the community any more than Dan Savage or the HRC represent it in the states. Alekseev particularly has a bad record of posturing as the figurehead of the movement while routinely dismissing other groups and organisations. Just a caveat.

11. Wel, well. I do not care about Russia anyomre, I boycoted not just the vodka but also my own holiday, and yes, you’ve read correctly. I had a holiday booked to Russia sice May this year and after this stupid law came into force I cancelled my holiday. I refuse to go to a place where I may be arrested or get abused just because I am gay.

1. Keith, the eventual winner. 31 Jul 2013, 4:28pm

You would not be arrested for ‘being gay’ Homosexuality, bestiality, consensual adult incest and defacto polygamy are alll legal in Russia. However, Russians prefer people to keep their deviance/ private so they outlaw propaganda. Ultimately however, you are free to pursue far mor sexual avenues and perversions in Russia than you ever would be in Britain.
      Ultimately, if you don’t like their rules, don’t go. Not drinking their Vodka? I am sure that will bring the Russian econmy to it’s knees. Snigger!!

12. History books will highlight a cancelled Olympics because of Russia’s human rights abuses towards gay people, just protesting will end up as a footnote and their laws will remain intact.
    BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT!!!

13. Alright, so how we do that ? By not boycotting the Olympics, travelling in mass to Russia to make protests inside the homophobic hell itself to provoke the government to arrest us on purpose to make Russia look bad in the international worldview and force the world to press Russia more against its homophobic system ? If you are willing to do that and be tortured by the Russian prison system, have fun. I prefer to keep my body intact and non-harmed.

14. David Ellison 1 Aug 2013, 6:10am

David Myers has the right idea. Medal winners particularly should perhaps wear a prominent rainbow flag pin. It’s how you do it subtly.

15. I’d really like to see, not just rainbow pins, but some pink-gloved fist salutes, a la Smith and Carlos in 1968. I know, easy for me to say from the safety of my armchair in Canada, but I think that would be my comment, were I talented enough to find myself on the podium in Sochi.