Archbishop of New York: Pope Francis remains opposed to gay relationships

1. Tell us something that we didn’t already know.

1. THE SAME GUY WHO hid molestation of children and paidd off priest on the sly , to resign while he kept everything quite while they drove kids to suciide by rape

Religious freedom is the curse of manking – Dolan should get life in the jail

Too bad our sonstitution prohibits cruel treatment – best to humiliate him- put him in a zoo cage naked and alone

2. Jock S. Trap 31 Jul 2013, 11:45am

Wotever!!

3. Paula Thomas 31 Jul 2013, 11:49am

But,, But… In order to oppose something you have to judge it

Yeah wotever, but this is Orwellian douublethink

1. Exactly. He was judging behaviour, not people. People on here persistently confuse the person with the behaviour.

1. bobbleobble 31 Jul 2013, 12:38pm

The behaviour and the people are not as easily separated as you’d like to think in this instance. I am gay whether I’m having sex or not. It is a deeply ingrained part of who I am and asking me to ignore that part of me and remain alone without the touch of another for the whole of my life is actually deeply cruel. It also denies us the respect and dignity that the Church apparently claims we should be allowed.

1. You call it “cruel”, Bobble, but celibacy is actually a highly regarded value in the Bible – not because it’s easy but precisely because it is not. Again, in Biblical terms, there is no respect or dignity in sexual activity necessarily.

You don’t have tyo agree with any of his. But it’s all entirely Scriptural and it doesn’t make sense to castigate the Church for doing what it’s supposed to do.

1. Beelzeebub 31 Jul 2013, 2:43pm

The Catholic church only introduced celibacy for its priests to prevent any possible future wives f*#king off with what they deemed the churches property.

It was all about cash. Nothing more.

They just added that tripe in about it being spiritual.

2. The church is entitled to believe and follow any beliefs that it wants. The problem arises when it attempts to influence the civil law which affects the people who do not subscribe to it’s belief system.

Why do they talk as if SSM is about to be made compulsory?

2. Donald Isenman 31 Jul 2013, 8:45pm

It is contradictory and makes no sense. Magical thinking probably to mask that which is going on in the priesthood

4. I remain opposed to religion trying to tell me how to live my life. So, let’s just call it quits. You shut your mouth; I’ll shut mine.

1. I think you’ll be unable to shut your mouth for quite some time if you’re waiting on the Catholic Church’s silence. You may have to be buried mouth open.

1. I was trying to be constructive to their cause. The more they mouth-off about this issue, the more that people will simply turn away from religion. MOST ordinary citizens now know someone gay. They have discovered for themselves that we are, in the vast majority, decent, honest, loving human beings …. unlike them. So, the more they slag us, the better it is for us, in my opinion.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Jul 2013, 12:01pm

This scumbag was involved in the covering up of child sex abuse in the American state of Wisconsin. Yesterday, this piece of slime managed to get away with a lawsuit involving $53 million supposedly put aside by his church for the upkeep of a cemetery but was thought the reasons behind it were to avoid having to pay compensation to the victims of paedophile clergy in his archdiocese.

What Pope Francis said isn’t progress, it’s more of the same condemnation of our relationships wrapped up in different language. That to me is judging others in spite of what he said. Hypocrisy!

6. So what about celibate gay relationships, does the Catholic Church deem them sinful? And for that matter, how would they decide what is and isn’t celibate (I’m also incredibly curious how the CoE defines them for vicars in “celibate civil partnerships”)? Is snuggling up together sinful? How about kissing? If kissing is alright, is that just affectionate pecks on the lips or full on making out? I mean personally I figure the CoE’s “celibate relationships” thing is more of a “don’t ask don’t tell”, but I do wonder what their rules are meant to be.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Jul 2013, 12:18pm

Aside from a hug, I would think a kiss would be unacceptable to the CoE because it can sometimes lead to that which they obsess about more than any others I know of. I don’t for a minute believe there are gay celibate couples among the clergy. Expecting them to comply with such an abnormal request goes to show just how much they think of our relationships, sinful and meaningless.

7. bobbleobble 31 Jul 2013, 12:06pm

The two teachings of the Church that Dolan highlights are contradictory. The Church cannot claim to afford us respect and dignity while at the same time condemning us for forming loving and mutually fulfilling sexual relationships and it’s nonsense to suggest that it can. Of course the Church will define for itself what respect and dignity actually mean which also makes their views unprincipled nonsense but there you go.

8. Robert (Kettering) 31 Jul 2013, 12:10pm

…..say “she” all done up like a dogs dinner! And they call us Gay!!

1. Keith in SALFORD 31 Jul 2013, 2:15pm

And talking of dinners, she’s not missed many, has she, by t’looks …
      Hhahaha

Keith.
      SALFORD

Eyoooooooooppp…….pies have come…!

9. Wow, not only do these people think they know what their god is thinking they now know what each other are thinking.

What a prat. Keep it up, people are beginning to see what hateful things you are and are turning their backs on you, but you’re so far up your own arse you can’t see it.

10. Timothy Dolan should not speak of God and morality.

This immoral excuse for a man knows neither about god nor morality!

Dolan like his Church are both morally bankrupt!

11. Robert in S. Kensington 31 Jul 2013, 1:33pm

We’re created in the image and likeness of God? Excuse me, has anyone ever seen ‘it’ to make such an analogy? Delusional loon.

12. RJ Abada OFM 31 Jul 2013, 1:45pm

the article title is misleading

13. Mihangel apYrs 31 Jul 2013, 1:50pm

I’m sure it’s for the Bishop of Rome to clarify his intent, not a mere cardinal

14. DJ Wynyard 31 Jul 2013, 2:23pm

Quisling Quinn has no integrity.

15. We know.Just the usual in a slightly different wrapping.